AdSense+Amazon or just AdSense alone?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Mike Rogers profile image60
    Mike Rogersposted 14 years ago

Hello Hubbers,

Just a quick question for the more experienced hubpage authors:

For maximum revenues, do you recommend AdSense and Amazon together on your commercial hubs or *just* AdSense alone?

From what I read it seems the bulk of revenues are via AdSense, but I could use some direct input and recommendations as to whether they support or conflict with each other. I'd hate to lose AdSense clicks to Amazon unless Amazon is converting in the hub environment.

Thanks,
    Mike smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean, Mike.  I used to include Amazon and eBay capsules in every Hub because they looked pretty.  Then it dawned on me they could be tempting people to click casually BECAUSE they look pretty, instead of a more relevant Adsense ad.

These days, I only include an Amazon capsule if I can feature a specific, directly relevant product or products - because that's the only way you ever get a sale on Amazon.

2. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

Don't put amazon items in hubs that are targeting adsense clicks. Amazon hubs are a different thing.

3. Mike Rogers profile image60

Haunty,

You're right, they are different, but I think I saw some authors using both and reporting success. Using both may be simply shifting revenue rather than creating it, and I could live with that. But what I want to avoid is throwing away possible AdSense clicks at the cost of people just casually browsing Amazon and not buying. Amazon has been moderately successful for me in the past, but that was with extremely targeted landing pages.

Marisa,

I'll never use eBay again. Got burned as a buyer, as a seller, and as an affiliate. Never again.

I do like the Amazon displays as well, but I'm beginning to think AdSense is a more natural fit within a hub, perhaps.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mike, it's the same at HubPages.  You almost have to write a product-specific Hub to get Amazon sale. Nelle Hoxie is very good at it!

2. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It would be interesting to see what relache or Nelle Hoxie has to say about this, as it would most likely be the answer to your question.

4. Lily Rose profile image86
    Lily Roseposted 14 years ago

I still consider myself new to all this, but here's my $.02 -

If you're writing a hub targeting high paying keywords, stick to just trying to get AdSense revenue.  If you're talking about a product or product line, then include Amazon capsules.

As far as what earns more, that is up in the air.  Up until this month, I was earning more from AdSense, but this month I've earned much more Amazon $ than AdSense $.

Hope that helps a little.  Best of luck, Mike!

5. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I would say go with Amazon, my earnings this month go

Adsense - £129

Amazon - $1039

Amazon provides information and a sales possibility, and direct referral sales will always give you more than ppc advertising.

1. Karina S. profile image59
      Karina S.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow!

6. thisisoli profile image71

If people are not buyig on your Amazon links, try working out why not.

Are your ads not targetted.
    Is your article targetted at readers, or at potential buyers?

1. Mike Rogers profile image60
      Mike Rogersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think I'm still in the process of finding my "voice" for hubs. I'm ending up with curious mixes that are half informative and half sales pitch.

I generally don't anticipate much traffic for the first few weeks on any of my sites/hubs which usually gives me time to work through that sort of dilemma, find that right style, make changes where needed, and move forward in better shape.

Once that all comes together, I'm in the "sweet spot" and things usually really start to happen wink

7. Casper021 profile image60
    Casper021posted 14 years ago

It really depends on your hubs Adsense can be used vitrually on any hub but with amazon your hubs have to be more or less product specific like lets say book or movie review etc

8. OregonWino profile image60
    OregonWinoposted 14 years ago

I am going to agree with the majority opinion here...even though I am not following it so far.  I have been putting a Amazon capsule in every hub so far, now for many this makes sense as they are on a specific concept (like investing in gold and silver) where a sale would pay a nice commission. 

However, I think that as I write more non-product hubs, I may start to drop out the Amazon capsules as they do clutter the page.  I have not read very good things about Ebay affiliates as far as actual payouts etc.

9. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

Glad i'm not the only one who has nothing great to say about ebay!
    That being said, i now use Amazon capsules sparingly. I've read on some thread months ago that the chances of loosing a valued adsense click to Amazon is quite high. And with Amazon, getting a sale is a matter of luck IMO.
    So i stick mostly to good ol'Adsense.

10. Mike Rogers profile image60

Thanks for the spirited input everyone. It had definitely helped me construct the framework for a general strategy moving forward.

11. easyspeak profile image67
    easyspeakposted 14 years ago

I tend to promote my Amazon capsules on posts I know I won't get great pay per click but I know will get traffic.  If I get a lot for clicks, like $2-3 per click, I leave off the Amazon or put it after the Adsense ads show up.  If get like $.08 per click, I promote the heck out of Amazon because they can get you at least $.50-2 per sale.

12. PeytonFarquhar profile image60
    PeytonFarquharposted 14 years ago

Try both in different hubs and see which one is more successful. I haven't see anything from mine as of yet, and, I've got both AdSense & Amazon in 3 of my (so far) 4 hubs.

Bottom line with these keyword click items is simply that it's a toss of the coin as to which will work if any.  It's all contingent upon whether people will click the ads assuming they even see them. Some browsing with Firefox use add-ons like NoScript and Flashblock.

13. kre8iv4u profile image61
    kre8iv4uposted 14 years ago

Ok, since I'm still learning, I ask some of you advanced hubbers to bear with me.   I have for example, a hub on making layered candles.  Throughout the hub there are a few ads for various candle products, this is adsense, correct??  Or is adsense an ad that I have to put together, which is an entirely different set of hubs, along with some google tutorials??

I have another hub on honeybees.  In this hub, throughout it, there are some ads for various beekeeping supplies.  There are also some Amazon ads that I popped in for a few different books that one can purchase thru, obviously, Amazon.

Since I am the one manually searching for the correct book I want listed in my hub, is Google adsense done the same way or does Google just throw topic specific ads in our hubs???

I hope that since I am new and really have no idea what I'm doing, that I made myself clear enough in my question asking.  I also am hoping for a non-techie  explanation, one that I will be able to understand.

Thanks so much
    dawn

14. Mike Rogers profile image60

Dawn,

You've got it exactly right. There are a few built in ways to monetize any hub through the Hubpages revenue sharing model: AdSense ads, eBay affiliate displays, Amazon affiliate displays, and Kontera ads.

Just be sure your AdSense and Amazon IDs are entered in your affiliate settings if you want to use those two, either individually or together.

The Amazon products (or keywords) you choose yourself, but the AdSense ads are served by Google based on the text and tags in your hub smile

15. thisisoli profile image71

While I prefer Amazon to eBay I would not discount it straight away.  Some Hubpages users are earning a lot from the eBay quality click pricing program.

I think it is fine to use Amazon and Adsense in conjunction with each other, they target different users, so you should not lose too many visitors to erroneous clicks!

16. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

We have no choice on HubPages but to include some Adsense advertising. On my straight affiliate sites I never use Adsense or Chitika. Most seasoned affiliates don't mix Adsense (an advertising model) and affiliate marketing (product sales).

If I really want to push products, I design my hubs to minimize te impact of adsense - and most of the time I want to push products.

17. lakeerieartists profile image64
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

This is an interesting discussion which I will have to think more about.  I want to have hubs that will earn all year with a minimum of tweaking by me.  Other than shopping for holidays, will I get more income by using Amazon or Adsense.

Personally I think that part of it all comes back to targeted traffic and just getting enough of it.  It makes sense on a product hub to sell the products except that the Adsense ads you get should also be doing the same if you wrote it correctly.  So in the long run, which gives you more income?

Another issue is to spread out your income base which I believe in strongly so giving yourself more than one income stream is always in your best interest.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)