Adsense clicks worth £0.01

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 14 years ago

The last couple of Adsense clicks I've had have been worth 1p (about 1.5 cents).  I didn't realise it was possible for clicks to be that small in value!  Can anyone shed any light?  (These are actual clicks and not just impressions). 

Off to bed now so won't be able to check back in on this thread for another eight hours, but all answers gratefully received.

1. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It happens.  Over the past year I have received more than one click for 1 cent. Some clicks are not worth anything, if they lead to another search, unless the person who clicked it clicks again.

2. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're doin better than I am.  Of course I've only been hubbin' 6 weeks but so far 'zippo', nada' nothing.  My score is around 90 all the time, I'm just not getting any clicks.  I still enjoy emptying my head onto hubpages though.  It's great.

2. Dale Mazurek profile image61
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

Many people through the holidays have completely turned off their campaigns or are paying the lowest price available.

Adsense will seem weird for about a week until marketers start putting their campaigns back online.

Another thing when you get a penny many times you are being paid for so many impressions.  Like maybe a penny for 1000 impressions.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Dale

1. glendoncaba profile image74
      glendoncabaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Makes sense.

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hello,

I was wondering if this will help.

Impressions: 297
    Click: 1
    Made: $0.03

1. motricio profile image68
      motricioposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your adds are too much cheap per impression.
      Guess we need to wait 'till next year. hmm

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

case in point

the data you have shared is insufficient to make a judgment of what your adds[sic] pay per impression, looks to me as if you have no impression based ads.

Impression based ads dont pay per 1000 or 100 impressions as stated earlier in thread, they pay per impression

i will occassionally open up adsense and see .12-.15 cents w/ O clicks, those are proceeds from impression based ads.

although insufficient data for an answer, the data is complete enough to be against adsense TOS

4. Casper021 profile image61
    Casper021posted 14 years ago

Some ads are worth less then others all depends on keyward and what is being advertised. Sometime you can get 0.01 per click and in somecases i have seen $25 per click

5. easyspeak profile image67
    easyspeakposted 14 years ago

it was most likely for page impressions.

6. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

I agree page impressions,

7. profile image59
    kakinposted 14 years ago

with adsense there's also the smart price thing, that means if people clicking your ads just click back or close their browsers as soon as they land on the advertiser's page, the price they pay is discounted. Also, if the ads you get are not in topic to what you write, that could also be causing it.

Adsense works as an auction for ads, if there are only one or two ads competing for a spot in your pages, they will get a very cheap price, so you get very little money for it.

8. OregonWino profile image61
    OregonWinoposted 14 years ago

To elaborate on what most of the other hubbers have said, if you have a click and it is worth around $0.015, other than irregularities caused by the timing (right after Christmas for example) it could be caused by the relative value of the add that was clicked.

To illustrate, generally, the more specific the phrase or add the higher the payout.  This is not always true, but often.  In addition, the more lucrative the traffic is for the advertisers the higher the cost to them and thus the higher the commission for us.  This is why you always see "Miami DUI Attorneys" or something like that as the highest paid keywords (I saw one that was around $41 lately) as they are very specific both in geography and topic AND very lucrative for the advertiser.  The attorney paying for those keywords can be pretty sure that the traffic they get is really looking for their services and is therefore worth a lot of money.  At the other end of the spectrum, if you had "book reviews" or something like that as your keyword, well that is a very broad topic and hard to monetize for an advertiser, so the payout would be very low.

Hope this makes sense....adsense   hehe

9. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 14 years ago

You may want to look at it from my point of view. I have a one hundred dollar per day limit on my Adwords account. I bid in several sections targeting a variety of keywords.

Adwords allows you to target search and the content network. I target both.

The content network is either for beginners or the big players. That being said, Adwords will allow a three cent bid on a keyword. I personally use 3c all the time because that will ensure I am position 3 to 5 if not higher (depending on the keyword). The most clicks on Adwords comes above the 3rd position, that is 3 to 7, believe it or not.

That's why your getting a 3c click or 1.5c. Another Adwords trick is bidding on the eCPM network. I can bid 3c on 1,000 impressions, those impressions are on the content network, by the way.

When I bid 3c on a impression click that can return me a 20c click, I really don't mind how many clicks I get. I only need 1 conversion in 7 to break even.

I have one keyword that I pay 3 cents for on the content network that makes a $17.00 sale. If you do the math, you can see I can afford quite a few clicks before I need a sale. Hence the 100 dollar a day budget.

Its not about smart pricing, the time of the year, your site or anything else like that. It's all about what we Adwords bidders will pay.

Lets take dui attorney's. If I bid $15.00 a click and my keyword is rare such as drink driving attorney rather then driving under the influence attorney, then my bid will be a lot less then $15.00 and closer to 3 cents (Adwords themselves change the click price to the minumum required). Especially if I throw a mispelt keyword in there like atorney, or dink driving, or drunk diving.

If you want to make money from adsense you need an Adwords account. You target your keyword, make an Adwords campaign and see how much it will cost for you to get search placement. That's the true test of a keyword. And, by the way, Adwords accounts are free until you start bidding.

10. profile image0

Many thanks to everyone who's replied - I'm a bit more enlightened now!  They were definitely clicks and not impressions, although I have had a few pence in impressions over the months as well. 

So, to summarise:

The amount you get for your clicks isn't just determined by their theoretical CPC value according to Google's keyword tool, but also by people's behaviour once they click (do they stay or click right back out again?), and the price a company/organisation pays for the Adwords relevant to the content on your hub.  The price a company is willing to pay can go down at certain times of the year (it must do, otherwise why would the price of my clicks have nosedived in such a spectacular way just around Christmas?  Unless I've done something to offend Google LOL).

Very interesting stuff.  And more involved than I first thought LOL.

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no, all information in this thread about smart pricing is incorrect or incomplete.

poor performing ad channels get the lowest bid ads, your .01 clicks could be from the ad channels on the very bottom of your page that never ever get clicked so are not considered good real estate to advertisers

it is possible that advertisers in your niches have disabled campaigns for the holidays, but that has never happened to me and I have never heard of this trend before and just doesnt make any sense to me either.

Go check out an adsense forum or open an adwords account to see how it works from the advertiser end.

11. Cleanclover profile image43
    Cleancloverposted 14 years ago

i got 10$ for a click. Now 0.13 for a click

1. OregonWino profile image61
      OregonWinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The value of the click is always determined by the relative price for the keyword that was used to generate the ad that Google placed ...so there is no set rule and they are ALWAYS changing.

12. sabrebIade profile image78
    sabrebIadeposted 14 years ago

I see lots of 1 cent clicks...and I swear I have seen what must have been .5 cent clicks.
    As in 2 clicks ...1 cent.
    It's either that or Adsense was calling one of the two clicks invalid.

13. easyspeak profile image67
    easyspeakposted 14 years ago

Sometimes if clicks from your hubs don't convert, over time Google may start paying you less per click.  Just a thought.

14. profile image0

Just to say that I've had a couple more clicks since I posted my original message, and they were both twenty-something pence rather 1p.  Must have been a seasonal thingy then.

My Adsense earnings now total £4.72 to date.  Alan Sugar eat your heart out lol

15. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

http://www.jensense.com/?s=smart+pricing

try jensense for good info on adense program

https://www.google.com/adsense/support/

or the official forum

most advice in general forums is conjecture and misinformed

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read the Ryanair article - sounds a bit like the situation I'm in with my CV writing site.  I put Adsense ads on there but ended up taking them down because I kept getting ads for other CV writing sites, which was the last thing I wanted!

16. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

For the second time this week I have gotten clicks that are worth nothing!  What is up with that.  One of them was from a slide picture, and I can't tell what the one today was from. 

Any ideas?

I can't see how they would be fraudulent clicks, since they are individual clicks, not groups of clicks.

17. RachelGB profile image60
    RachelGBposted 14 years ago

Thanks so much for the wonderful, helpful posts in this thread.

There is so much knowledge here. And you guys are very generous with your knowledge.

Thanks!!!

And Happy New Year!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)