Some of us remember why we fight

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image51
    Rememberhimposted 14 years ago

And we remember those who gave everything so you can whine about the fight!

His death was controversial, but his life was something to be remembered!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHyv2kknvZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIb7zW_okto

2. Mitch Rapp profile image59
    Mitch Rappposted 14 years ago

It takes a special person to do what he did!

3. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Ask his family why the facts were covered up.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor … =112816210

And, says Krakauer, "when a soldier is killed in combat, you should put his uniform, his weapon, everything — anything that can be considered forensic evidence should be sent back to the States with the body, so the medical examiners could determine the cause of death. In the case of Tillman, none of that happened."

The Tillman case is not a good example of "why we fight".

We fight for one thing... money. Wars are about money.

1. TMMason profile image61
      TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is just no feasable way to send each soldier and all their eq. back from the theatre to under go forensic examination.

I am not saying there shuld not be cases where it is done. But on a theatre wide basis, that is a bigger task than you think.

And that; we fight for money or oil junk, is so over-blown it is comical.

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
      EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, since Tillman had come to that conclusion himself, it's a pretty appropriate example.

3. Mitch Rapp profile image59
      Mitch Rappposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This response is typical of the left wing, hey hater, you missed the entire point, not that it wasn't expected!

4. Petra Vlah profile image60
    Petra Vlahposted 14 years ago

Yes MikeNV,

We do fight for money (oil and other natural resources) it is sad and it is true.

5. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Another life wasted in the name of Power. Greed & Money ! sad

6. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Wars are more about religion than anything else.  Just study history.

1. Mitch Rapp profile image59
      Mitch Rappposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This war sure was brought about by religion!

7. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

Look at history.....hmmm let me see here...

I want to use the example of Mesopotamia from about 3000 to 1500 BCE.

The fertile valley between the Tigris and Euphrates river was divided amongst competing, yet conciously interconnected and mutually-supporting city-states.

In each their was a ruling dynasty, and that elite also held control of the temple.

The temple was the first bank. Harvests were brought in to the temple first and then redistributed back out based off the social hierarchy in place.

The deities were major sources of identity and pride for their corresponding peoples, and, much in the way football and basketball teams wage legal battle across the nation seasonally, they had roles that were beyond religious.

Elites fight for control, religion is one of the means to do so.

Roman elites, and Germannic's to follow, would use the Catholic Church in a similar manner, though without the sport element.

To keep their wealth centralized (and to therefore stay wealthy) unmarried potential heirs to an estate would join the clergy, and to avoid taxation, or to preserve family wealth and properties, donations of lands and money would be made to the Church.

When Pope Urban II gave out the call for Crusades, religion may have been the justification, but who was this man, and who and what interestes did he represent? This act did not take place all by its lonesome.

Further examples can be made....abundantly...

But, in terms of the totality of this thread, from United Fruit to Gulf Oil there is one purpose behind American foreign policy.

There is one and only one reason why the Marine Corps ensignia, specifically the globe, shows the Western Hemisphere, and I and any other Marine can tell what that is...if they remember..

Nicaragua, back into the 19th century, Panama, Honduras, Guatamala, Haiti, Iran......

Who was Mossadegh, and what happened to him? Why?

Who is Manuel Noriega, and how did he gain power? How did he lose it?

We can go from here, but I can say this.....what we do over there has nothing to do with my "freedoms" here.

Anyone who knows U.S. history realizes that "freedom" is more something to be hoped for by most, a reality that is only experienced by those with enough money to manage the system.

I was with someone close to me when a law enforcement task force banged on his door.....

He had been locked up before, much for what he had actually done, but his last time in had been for something hd hadn't done.

With this said, without his own parole officer's knowledge, another agent, acting on his own, signalled that this man had to be taken in because he "was about to commit more crimes."

I have a copy of the police report, and I attended all his hearings, both on the criminal and parole sides.

I, of course, was at the scene when the report was being compiled....

The report is a lie...

My freedom of speach, this man's right to fair representation, and the promise of correct due process were cast aside.....

He spent 6 months in jail because, when they searched his room, they found a bb gun.

He was set to lost 12 months of his life, but we were able to get it to 6...and call it a victory... that is what it is like to play against a stacked deck....and then we call it "freedom" and "justice."

Now, he told them, prior to them ever entering the room, where this "simulation firearm" was.  The officers thanked him for doing so. 

I was there....as were many other witnesses.

They would have never found the thing otherwise, because it was buried underneath a mountain of clothes.

In their report, they stated that, upon making entry into the room, that they found what they immediately believed to be an actual firearm laying in plain view, on top of this man's television.

They never made any mention of him telling them where to find it. 

No report of the "thank you"s.

This was the only reason he served time.....on a parole violation.

At his hearing, the minute I tried to mention this issue this man's own defense lawyer told me to not say anything.

I, of course, trusted him....but now I see his game...

One Sunday I visited this man in jail....that is a waiting line that I hope few have to deal with..

When I was in the visiting room I could overhear guards speaking to prisoners within the inner jail area.

One guard said to a prisoner, whom I couldn't see from my vantage point, "I love it when you guys come back here. You're paying for my house, and my boat..."

It all comes down to control of the flow of wealth, whether its keeping prisons attended, getting developing nations to take on more international loans, or passing "free trade" laws to undermine economies that are going to be exploited, kind've like what NAFTA did to the Mexican agriculture sector....flooding their markets with cheap corn...

Through crises new technologies are developed, new tensions form that can be used for profit....

I look at the recent terrorist plot (supposedly) involving a Nigerian young man.

Then I look at the struggles of the Ogoni and other peoples within Nigeria who suffer under the paid for/supplied guns of the Nigerian military (paid for by the likes of Shell Oil).

By shaking up Nigeria one can silence a lot of resistance to further development....

Poor Nigeria, if only more people understood this nation's history and current plight....

Then again, I live in Los Angeles.... I look to the mountains that ring the north-eastern valley I call home and I think often about the Chumash and other native peoples who were decimated by Americans.

True, the Spanish caused problems for them....but they never took it to the degree that the Americans did...

I live on blood stained soil....and not from a justified war....

But, then again, I come from peoples who have suffered the same fate on more than one continent, yet both involving the destructive actions of the same pool of nations...maybe it's something that I carry with me...

8. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Why I'm not surprised ??
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)