Who Is Happier?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (75 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

As a genralization of people you have talked to here in the forums, who seems to be the happiest group, Creationist's or Atheist's?

1. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As a generalization, both sides that typically engage in your ideological debates are radical, one way or the other. I find that radicals are very unhappy people.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"As a genralization of people you have talked to here in the forums, who seems to be the happiest group, Creationist's or Atheist's?"

Not all people who believe in God are creationists.  And you can't go just by someone's behaviour on an Internet forum if you want to assess how happy they are.  (Although maybe you can spot the really *unhappy* people from some of the stuff they write.)

2. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i'd say the non-believers. almost every creationist i have encountered is pretty high strung and angry, even. prolly because they think the so-called non-believers are having all the fun or something.

3. Richieb799 profile image75
        Richieb799posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think people who don't put lots of effort into forcing there opinion on people are happier, imagine the stress someone who is constantly trying to change another feels

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree. But why do we try to get others to accept our belief and why does it make us feel better when more share our belief?

1. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This actually refers only to the beliefs we are not quite sure about and don't admit this to ourselves. It's a fear of being proven wrong I guess. smile

This makes sense. Emotional attachments to our belief along with pride? I think accepting or even looking forward to being wrong in some things goes a long way in learning new things.

4. Indigitamenta profile image58
        Indigitamentaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe the dumber you are the happier you can be. And there are more pleasurable ways to get dumb than listening to sermons. IMO

5. moanalisa profile image60
        moanalisaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

By what do you mean "Creationists"? I am a creater of art. This is something I find great joy in. Whether someone says it's a result of God or not, I really don't care.

In that light, those who find happiness within, rather than seeking outside sources, such as religion to fill the gap, do seem to be the happiest to me.

1. profile image0
          L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A very good point. However, one could argue (I'm trying to remain neutral here) that those who are unhappy and search for an outer source become happier when they find that outer source. After all, one could argue that an believer is an athiest who was unhappy with just leaving questions hanging and needed something to grab hold of.

2. marinealways24 profile image59

Why do you think some are more dependent of a belief than others outside of themselves?

6. profile image0

Without meaning to be pedantic, shouldn't the question be:

"who seems to be the happiest group, believers or athiests?"

or

"who seems to be the happiest group, creationists or evolution-ists?"

I think most believers believe in creation and most atheist's believe in evolution, aren't they pretty much the same? lol

1. profile image0

I had a long argument typed out in response to this. Then I realised they are pretty much the same.

Yeah, ignore me, carry on lol

lol Thank You, I'm glad because it is late and my attention span is too busted to argue with anything right now. lol

2. mohitmisra profile image59
          mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was happy when I was an atheist .
          Then the experience of enlightenment was something else, happiness is too mild a word to describe such bliss.

Now I can be very happy or sad , more than most people.

I can laugh and cry very easily.
          Then at times no feelings at all, stepping back and watching everything like a big movie knowing all is me. smile

3. profile image0
          khmohsinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Creationist, i think

4. h.a.borcich profile image62
          h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am a believer and I am very happy smile

5. profile image54
          (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Difficult question. I suspect that having the burden of eternal damnation hanging over your every move, every spoken word, every action seems like a very unhappy existence.

Having to obey and worship the invisible and undetectable seems like a very stressful condition, especially when the god in question is most demanding and vengeful. If he doesn't like what you're doing, a pillar of salt you become.

Believing in magic means that anything could happen at any given moment where the physical laws of the universe are meaningless.

I can't imagine anyone deriving happiness from this situation. It's more like living on the edge of a giant razor blade.

1. mohitmisra profile image59
            mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Salvation not damnation.We are surrounded by magic all the time, depends on how you look at life. smile

7. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I would think atheists would be happier. Atheists have no "truth" that the sub-conscious mind knows is a lie. This must play havoc with the inner self, something that is evident in these religious posts! smile

1. aguasilver profile image70
          aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh come on Ernest, "Atheists have no "truth" that the sub-conscious mind knows is a lie" is a ridiculous statement to make, I could make equally irrelevant statements about atheists....

I have never had any doubts about the truth I know, for I have been in filled by the Holy Spirit and seen Him at work in peoples lives.

I do not dispute that there are many 'armchair' Christians who maybe have doubts, who have never had a Holy Spirit encounter and therefore cannot truly say they know the truth, because they have not me the truth.

I'm happy, even when things look bad, because I know who I believe in and He is sufficient for all things.

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I stand by what I said. The sub-concious knows it's a lie. That is why religionists have to "externalize" their beliefs to try to make others believe.
            it helps to still the inner voice that keeps whispering "This is crud!"
            lol

1. aguasilver profile image70
              aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the inner voice you heard was a little demon trying to work on your rebellion?

I deal with my beliefs daily, and change then daily in the light of better information. Must be uncommon as it is often called the road least travelled.
                Religionists are indoctrinated. You could never belief religion if left to your own devices other than the "lizard brain" sending out fear signals that is! Religionists are afraid of any reasonable truths and would rather believe in anything than confront their fear. smile

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
                  Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not True, I am a living example of a person that had no religious 'training' until I was 13 years old. I found my faith as a grown man. I read no bibles until after I was living on my own as an adult.

Can you say that with all honesty? No church, no social pressure? I find that hard to believe, as I have never seen someone who was not indoctrinated before. smile

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

Yes I can, no church upbringing. Mom took me to my first church after I would not let the subject die. At 13 years of age I saw a movie on tv about Jesus, I was curious and did not let it go. I was raised without ever hearing about religions at all. My friends were from non-religious families. Not that had many friends.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
                      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had a brief period as a "Jesus Freak" in the 70s. I think it was a direct result of Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell smile

2. Davidsonofjesie profile image61
              Davidsonofjesieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

your subconcious lies to you , because there is no truth in you!!!if the truth was in you , then you would understand.i have ask you be4 what you beleive and you wont say you just attack every body else

Bulldust! My beliefs are an open book, as you are. lol
                You show your total lack of knowledge of how the mind works.

1. Davidsonofjesie profile image61
                  Davidsonofjesieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

tell me something besides,bulldust!!!

Bulldust is religion, I don't do bulldust either. smile
                    As opposed to your posts? Don't make me laugh! lol

2. wsp2469 profile image60
          wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You mean because of what they choose not to believe they are generally happier? 
          (Mind you, when the two are both slowly dieing I would think they are both equally happy because an Atheist will change his mind and turn Christian quite often.)
          They do say ignorance is bliss though, don't they?

I have to disagree. I think promised rewards for believing are promotional tools used by religion to get believers. I think a person should do good simply for good rather than in expectation of a favored afterlife. If they want to believe they get a favored afterlife and it motivates them to do good, so be it. I do disagree with religion or anyone else claiming the absolute of knowing what happens at death until they are dead.

3. TMMason profile image61
          TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actions speak louder than words E. I hope you don't mind me saying..

You don't seem happy, E.

I hope I am wrong.

But your posts seem angry and alone all the time. You do not debate, just grump around is all. Like a mean grandfather making jokes to himself about everyone.

I hope your words do not reflect truely to me what I think they do.

And most atheists I speak to seem angry, frustrated as though no one is listening to them or something?

Anyway E, your about the coolest Atheist I have met on Hubs so far. At least your humor is not vile like some.

Its Good comedy. smile

4. starme77 profile image77
          starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why is it that if your not following the christian thing that your an athiest? It seems everyone who disagrees with the christian ways is dubbed athiest? What the hell?

8. kess profile image61
        kessposted 14 years ago

Happiness comes and goes according to the circumstance.

But peace endures all situation.

Who is that one who possesses such?

9. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I believe both can be equally happy. It depends on the person.

10. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years ago

non-christians smile

11. Sanctus Vesania profile image60
        Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years ago

What I don't understand is, why is it every single time, a believer posts something the non-believers will flock to the post?  Then in said post they'll make sure to practically shoot anyone down who believes in something.

I dunno,  if you atheists are so much 'happier' shouldn't you be going out and doing awesome atheist things?

By the way; not all believers are a like, Earnest.  You wouldn't like it if I said that all atheists subconsciously believe that there is a God, would you?

I would not mind at all. smile It is true to some extent. Religiosity is hard wired to overcome the fear of death, but it can be understood as fear when we learn enough psychology to see how it works. Daylight in a dark place. We can deal with it if we try. smile

1. Sanctus Vesania profile image60
            Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Religiosity used to overcome the fear of death?  There's a lot of religious people who are afraid of death, because of religiosity.

12. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

He asked who is happier, creationists or atheists. A bit hard to answer if only creationists or christians comment.

13. Sanctus Vesania profile image60

And to answer the question; I don't think ANY of them are happier.  They're both too busy bickering at each other, and not being useful. Ex: Christians helping people, and the atheists...erm, helping people/having fun. 

No, I take that back.  Pagan creationists seem to be happier.  They don't seem to hang around much and bicker.  Not that I've noticed.

1. profile image0
          Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

your right....life is good when you believe your belief, with no desire to change or be changed. smile

1. Sanctus Vesania profile image60
            Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe that a person can sometimes be too open minded; meaning that one moment they can be a Christian creationist, then the next an atheist; then the next week a pagan; next week a pagan creationist.

There comes a time when you have to truly examine your faith (or lack there of) and settle it once and for all.

We need to question belief in god or anything else we believe. Religionists are not game!

2. marinealways24 profile image59

I think there are too many emotions tied into most faith based beliefs making it nearly impossible to debate beliefs in a logical manner. I also think most are dependent on a belief title or non belief title when simply claiming individual belief does the trick.

14. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I don't believe you can generalize any group of people, not even for a true reading of majority.  Except maybe great hubbers in this community who have been banned yesterday and today.

1. profile image0
          Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

theyll be back. smile

15. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 14 years ago

Ernesto, ya know I luvs ya, but I have to tell ya - I'm an extremely happy person! I just don't worry about a whole lot. I try to turn it over to God for the things I can't solve on my own. And no, I'm not some simple-minded idiot. I've held positions with very important responsibilities, and I was efficient and successful in carrying them out. I'm talking about things I have no control over.

16. Sanctus Vesania profile image60

From personal experience I've had my share of trials; not one which made me go atheist.

But, that's just me. 

Mankind is an emotional lot.

I think our ability to separate emotions for rational and logical thought is what makes us different from animals.

I do not see religionists dealing with any thought processes logically. They do not seem to know anything about their minds. lol

I think faith is just as important if not more important than logic. I just think they are unbalanced in some more than others. I don't think this means one is elite to the other.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

also not true, I know a great deal about my mind.

17. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 14 years ago

Do I think atheists/agnostics can be happy? Sure! One of the happiest, nicest guys I've ever known is an atheist.

18. Sanctus Vesania profile image60

I actually feel like writing a hub; I'm not entirely sure if you're trying to convert anyone, Ernest; but at least with me it's not working.

There have been times that I've thought about the whole God thing.  Does He exist?  Is He around?  There have been times where I've tried to not believe in His existence, and it's never worked. 

Anyway, leaving this forum again.

19. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years ago

wow.

that's pretty interesting.

20. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 14 years ago

Both,

I am happy, you are happy all of us are happy! big_smile

I think you are taking happy pills! You are always happy. lol I am happy that you are happy.

21. Rayalternately profile image59
        Rayalternatelyposted 14 years ago

I love the idea that happiness can be made into a competition. Go to your room, the lot of you. You've been very naughty! big_smile

lol

2. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can I take someone with me??

Sinner!

lol

I was jk. I'm not going to tell anyone.

2. earnestshub profile image80

Oooooh take me Habee! Whats fer dinner? lol

22. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 14 years ago

Anything you want that I can cook. I have some shrimp in the freezer???

Seriously habee, everytime you talk about dinner I wish I lived next door and was your favorite dinner guest. You got food covered young lady! smile

23. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 14 years ago

Ah, Earnest, you'd just get fat!

No chance, habee. I wear the same size clothes I did as an 18 year old. I can eat like a trooper and not put on weight! Hateful that! smile

24. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 14 years ago

I just stopped liking you!

My husband is the same way. He must consume 10,000 calories a day and never gains an ounce. I think I can gain 5 pounds just smelling food. lol

I know, it is very annoying but we can't help it. I have one male friend who puts on weight if he smells food I'm sure he hates me deep down. smile

25. andromida profile image56
        andromidaposted 14 years ago

I think both groups are equally happy from their own perspective. Otherwise they would not stick to any belief system-atheism also a belief system.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)