BBC is reporting "Obama effigy hanged in Jimmy Carter's home town"

Jump to Last Post 51-65 of 65 discussions (241 posts)
  1. Mitch Rapp profile image60
    Mitch Rappposted 14 years ago

I don't remember any thread about poor Sarah, I guess its reserved for elected officials.

2. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

she was an elected official remember. A state governor of Alaska. Maybe it never occrred to others why she ended up leaving office early under these kind of threats to herself and family.. Sometimes its just not worth hurting your family to serve others abusing their American freedoms.

Mitch Rappposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I remember I meant a current elected official, sorry the joke tanked.

1. mel22 profile image60
        mel22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

actually your joke didnt tank. i agree with what you were trying to say.

3. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

livelonger, i don't think you understood my post.. I was saying the opposite. I was saying look it happens to all elected officials by people who think its OK to abuse any freedom they have just bcuz they CAN. my very next post states that. I was trying to say that not all effigies are about race but about political uproar against the opposite candidate. I never incited violence against her in fact I was reiterating how it might have lead to her leaving office early under these kind of threats. I think you need to reread what I was saying.

1. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I understood it. I was just expressing my opinion, which differs from yours.

Get a rope!

4. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

I voted for McCain so when an effigy of him and his running VP are hanged its no big deal to Dems but when it happens to the Dems then the race card is suddenly thrown on the table. Why is it ok for a republican to be effigied in this way and laughed at but when its the other way around it is the most heinous offense.

Who's laughing at it?

The effigy of Palin was reported by 10 of the guy's neighbors (who are probably liberals; this was West Hollywood!), and even Keith Olbermann deplored its message of violence.

2. Mitch Rapp profile image60

Liberals tend to be easily offended but never quite know when they are being offensive. If they are offended they scream loudly, when they offend then you are just too sensitive. Its really quite fun to watch.

How does this make you feel?
        http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/1/11/Flag_burning_Simpleton.JPG

Case of free speech, how is it supposed to make me feel?

If you were like most conservatives, very deeply offended. You know, conservatives tend to be very easily offended. See the voting record of Republican and Democratic congresspeople in the 2006 flag burning amendment vote.

Here's another:
            http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2009/0903/redefined_marriage_0313.jpg

I don't give a shit what other people do, I leave that to liberals. I believe in less government,gun rights,all things real conservatives believe.
              However
              The guy on the right could do better

Well, count yourself among a small (and dwindling) minority of conservatives, then. Most conservatives are against gays getting married because it offends them.

I think you will find 2010 quite the eye opener, liberals have created new conservatives, there are more not less!

But, according to you, there are very few actual conservatives, right?

2. Siotosh profile image61
        Siotoshposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When the American flag is burnt no big deal, the thinking of the Conservative Christian and the Muslim extremist are no different. A few thousand people died during 9/11 what's the big deal, no need to invade. There was no need bomb Afghanistan these guys were friends of the bushes. We should all stop over reacting when planes are blown up. Sick thinking creates sick actions

5. Mitch Rapp profile image60
    Mitch Rappposted 14 years ago

Livelonger wrote
    "If you were like most conservatives, very deeply offended. You know, conservatives tend to be very easily offended. See the voting record of Republican and Democratic congresspeople in the 2006 flag burning amendment vote."

Some people are offended by the sight of the U.S. Flag burning, its a natural feeling for people who love their Country. My feelings are not shared by all conservatives because very few people are really conservatives.

6. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

Another image that tends to make conservatives hyperventilate (note not putting his hand on his heart, and not wearing a flag pin):

http://img.wonkette.com/assets/resources/2007/10/baracksnopes.jpg

My feelings about Barack Obama are that he is a scumbag, he learned from scumbags, and he surrounds himself with scumbags. The fact that his hand is not over his heart just reinforces his scumbaggery!

Does that offend you?

Um, no. It made me yawn.

Then you are not a typical liberal, people who have negative opinions on the "anointed one" are usually called racists. But, I bet thats really what you're, thinking, ain't it?

The typical liberal says Obama-bashing is only done by racists? You really should stop creating strawman arguments to support your prejudices against liberals.

We tend to see it as the same petty, mindless partisanship that Republicans were gripped with during the Clinton era. Conservatives seem all too willing to cut their nose to spite their face, so to speak.

Rigggggggggggggght. lol

7. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

I did not post that pic of Palin TO OFFEND ,but to show that dirty liberals OFFENDED first. But since i'm not that sensitive about that you can post all the pics of burning flags you want. Just don't go saying I incited violence against her when I voted for her and McCain. I was trying to show how liberals demeaned her. And obviously the type of people who put it up were laughing and others like them.

Sounded as if you were stating I threatened violence - here is youre quote:

"I am no Palin lover at all, by any means, but I think this is disgusting. You can say whatever you want about this politician, but to threaten violence is really awful."

or were you meaning in general, bcuz I was trying to show that Republicans were offended as well

Livelonger meant the ones who put the effigy up.

8. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

I'm more offended by the gay pic than the flag burning although liberal flag burning is what brought about the union of sodomists to the stage its at. Why two men would want to commit flaming totrurous sodomy on one another is beyond me .. I'm out

What'd I tell you, Mitch?

I don't know what to say, for a typical liberal viewpoint go to my hub and read the first comment by a liberal, I think you will see where I'm coming from.

LOL, if you're talking about Lita, I believe she considers herself a conservative. smile

That's who I'm talking about, conservative? She has never presented any conservative views and has denigrated those who have, conservative, thats funny!

9. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

Speaking of "the anointed one"...

http://img.youtube.com/vi/fxdt_f0hwUg/0.jpg

10. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

I find it funny how gay people seem to bring their sexuality to every discussion even when the topic is not about sexuality. I post a pic about a hanging effigy on the topic of effigies and you put up up a pic about gay men getting married. What does that have to do with the subject. Stay on the subject at least. youre wandering.

11. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae353/photomel22/busheffigy.jpg heres one of burning bush at the stake. I'm sure noone found this terrible at the time.

12. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

OHHH the HORROR of seeing this bag of clothes filled with newspapers burning. I just might faint at the political uncorrectness!

13. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I'm pretty much in the boat with Mitch. I don't LIKE to see the flag treated with disrespect, largely because my grandfathers, father, and uncles fought in both World Wars. I do, however, agree that it's freedom of expression. As for gay rights, I don't care what they do. It doesn't bother me.

By the same token, I don't like my freedoms encroached upon, either. I don't want to pay an extra tax to tan or to buy soft drinks. I want to be able to own a gun. I don't believe the government has a right to take my property to put up a parking garage. I don't want my healthy adult children to be forced to buy health insurance they can't afford and don't want. I don't want to be forced to pay for Nebraska's Medicaid FOREVER when I live in GA!

1. Siotosh profile image61
      Siotoshposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A piece of cloth with different color on it getting burnt, can't be more offensive than a black man with a rope around his neck. We can say to hell with a flag in that case

14. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Regardless, it is still a sore spot to many,many black people when a black man is hanged in effigy. Many were alive when it was a common thing for a black man to be hanged for minor offenses or the suspicion of minor offenses.

I'm not excusing when it is done of others either but you have to consider the history. I do not like Sara Palin but I thought that hanging in effigy was disgusting. Two wrongs still do not make a right.

I'm so glad this thread disintegrated into the same old tired arguments.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You expected??????????????

15. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

This is a one question poll that should give a little perspective on the Presidents progress and popularity.

Q. The president's progress with the battered economy has been both praised and criticized. How well are his efforts measuring up with you?

The results

Extremely well. We are undoubtedly moving in the right direction.  36%
    Fairly well. There's still a long way to go.  1%
    Not well at all. His plans are hurting more than helping.  63%
    Not sure/No opinion.  0%

Out of 52,663,605 votes cast so far.

http://js.polls.yahoo.com/quiz/quizifra … l_id=46067

Man, they are a lot of Angry Rednecks!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)