Bronze Age swords

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Constant Walker profile image58
    Constant Walkerposted 15 years ago

I'm looking for a source of verification that Bronze Age bronze swords were cast in stone.  I know it would seem obvious that they would have been (they didn't have a wide choice of materials), but I want to be able to verify it before I add such info to my hub, "The Sword."

Thanks

PS:  For the same hub, does anyone know what the first comics-to-cinema movie was?

2. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 15 years ago

The "lost wax" technique was invented back in the second millennium BC. I've had a quick look up in one of my encyclopaedia's. Which surprised the hell out of me, I've seen the lost wax technique done in a modern casting facility at a place I worked once (a weapons engineering facility) and I didn't realise that it was being done so far back.

I'll type up the paragraph I've just read along with the reference details for you, I just need to head out and do something right now.

3. Constant Walker profile image58

Thank you very much, Darkside.  I'll research it in the morning.  Cool!!

4. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 15 years ago

Here's a couple of paragraphs from the reference book I used. I think you should look up more info on open-mold casting, close-mold casting and lost-wax technique.

When I saw the process of lost wax casting they had machined molds into which they injected the wax, then when it set they separated the molds and took the wax components out (I assume that 3000 years ago they didn't do that bit but perhaps carved or formed the wax into the shape they wanted) then reusing the mold again and again.

The wax components were then put on a 'tree'. So imagine a wax cylinder of sorts with these other wax parts joined onto it. Then the whole thing is dipped into a 'slurry'. And then in some powdery substance. And left to dry. They did this a few times. Which was interesting to watch, as a robotic arm did all the work.

Once that's done they fire these 'shells' (don't quote me on the terminology here, I didn't have that much to do with this part of the facility) and it hardens the stuff that it's been dipped in, and the wax pretty much burns away completely (hence the term 'lost wax').

Then they fill these shells in with the molten metal. Once its cooled down they chip off the ceramic shell like coating and then grind the ends that once joined to the branches.

They used it for all sorts of items. The most interesting was for the links between the handcuffs. They were cast linked together. So there was no joins in the links itself.

Anyway, hope you can use the info that I typed up!

5. Constant Walker profile image58

Wow, Darkside.  Fascinating research.  I'm going to check into "Lost Wax" to see if it was also used to cast bronze swords.
       Thanks again, I appreciate all the trouble you went to.

6. CarpetDiem profile image71
    CarpetDiemposted 15 years ago

Hi Constant, This is an interesting question, and an interesting break from the typical hubpages forum question. I googled "were Bronze Age bronze swords cast in stone?" and came up with this website and webpage (http://www.bronze-age-craft.com/swordcasting.htm) which also has some great pictures. Had you seen it yet? I look forward to seeing your hub. ~ Steve

7. CarpetDiem profile image71
    CarpetDiemposted 15 years ago

Hi Constant, I just clicked through to your profile and see that you've already published "The Sword". I gave it a "thumbs up" for the pictures and headings alone, and have bookmarked it to read when I have time. It looks very good (and extensive!).

8. Constant Walker profile image58

Ya, CarpetDiem (love that name!) the question came after the hub was already published.  Thanks for the compliment.  I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)