Pageviews versus clicks on HP - ratio ?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (22 posts)
  1. grumpyjacksa profile image61
    grumpyjacksaposted 15 years ago

For those who have been here for a while , have you ever checked how many page views you need to get a click ?

this figure is obviously related to the topic and quality of the hub , but it would be interesting to see if there are any general trends

2. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 15 years ago

In the beginning first click may take very long.  Ratio gets narrowed down with increasing page views. Initially it may be 100:1 and later on 50:1 and may shrink to 30:1 or so on.

3. Dottie1 profile image59
    Dottie1posted 15 years ago

Thanks premsingh for the info.   I didn't know that about the ratios.

4. Rik Ravado profile image84
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

Some people claim they can get as high as a 10% Click Through Rate (CTR) on a blog with well targeted keywords and well placed ads.  On HubPages it is lower because you have less control over ad placements etc. 

My best figure is around 4% but some of my Hubs are zero.  The figure does improve, as premsingh says, with time.  This is partly because on the day you publish all your traffic comes from HubPages and Hubbers don't click much. 

The best traffic for clicks is Google but it takes time for the search engine traffic to build up.  I notice that once most of my clicks come from outside of HubPages then the click rate does improve significantly.

The other key factor is the value of clicks.  I get lots of clicks worth around 1-6c but this morning I got 2 clicks worth $1.58.  This is where using high value keywords comes in.

5. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

Because I've only been here for 5 weeks I don't have many clicks because I'm still kind of new. Right now mine is approximate 165:1 (this doesn't count affiliate clicks that off sets it to about 101:1). As I made more Hubs and got more traffic the clicks have gone up so just keep at it and soon they will be coming daily with a lot better ratio like 20:1 smile

Also remember, you only get 60% of the impression time, Hubpages gets 40% and during there 40% you don't get the clicks recorded or counted for you, it counts for them. Just keep that in mind, you might have 5 clicks total but there could have been 12 clicks total but 7 landed from other peoples trackers and Hubpages time on your page!

6. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 15 years ago

It is interesting that HP owns clicks made during 40% of the time. I think it is random. However, it can make big difference depending upon the target audience. To make things clear, assume that my target audience is south asia and 40 % of daytime may generate more click than during night depending on the location. I think that's why they do it at random.

7. kashifmahmood profile image41
    kashifmahmoodposted 15 years ago

I think there is no hard n fast rule for how many clicks you can get on fixed amount of  impressions . There are many factors the most important one the ad relevancy and also the visitor who is visiting your hub .

8. Trsmd profile image58
    Trsmdposted 15 years ago

I used to get 3 to 4% from my total page views..

But Today I don't know what happened..

out of 243 page views no  click so far... why is it so?

today is the first time with NIL Click...

9. Rik Ravado profile image84
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

As kash says, it depends on the relative effectiveness of the ads placed over the period.  Even if you are averaging 4%, statistically you can still expect to sometimes go for 200 impressions or more without a click.  Traffic isn't constant and nor is click rate.  Nothing is predictable on a daily basis.  I find my click rate varies considerably from day to day..

10. profile image0
    Popular Wealthposted 15 years ago

Hubbers likely ignore the ads and getting a hub page to #1 in Google requires some very careful planning and execution on most subjects.

Decent money can be earned but not if you spend your time checking stats instead of writing, hint.. hint :p

11. profile image0
    Ronald Daniarposted 15 years ago

For the last 7 days, my 20 hubs got 707 page views and only 14 clicks. So, what does it mean, any experts?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That means you have a 2% CTR smile

12. profile image0

A 2% CTR is acceptable given that many of the visitors are hubbers that don't click on the ads.

13. profile image0
    Ronald Daniarposted 15 years ago

Thanks Mark and Popular Wealth
    That's explaining why this week the earning is crawling lol

14. Kami Dear profile image59
    Kami Dearposted 15 years ago

How much time it will be take to have page view for other then H/ pages

1. Jennifer Bowman profile image60
      Jennifer Bowmanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's not time, it's backlinks.

My best Hub gets 300+ views a day, but they all show up as being from HubPages.

They're not - but what comes up on the first page of the Google search is the listing of my Hub on the Hot Hubs page, not the actual Hub itself, so they are already in HubPages at the Hot Hubs listing page when they click through to mine.

I have to go to Analytics to find out where they really came from.

If I get enough backlinks, the Hub itself will be in Google's front page.

15. broalexdotinfo profile image56
    broalexdotinfoposted 15 years ago

Traffic just from Hubpages alone, won`t give too many many impressions. Try to spread your hubs to the world through  social networks, then everyone should be better off.

1. profile image0
      Ronald Daniarposted 15 years agoin reply to this

More than 50% of my traffic came from search engines.

1. Kami Dear profile image59
        Kami Dearposted 15 years agoin reply to this

How can i get that figure i want to have traffic form the search engine tell me.

1. profile image0
          Ronald Daniarposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Kami Dear, you can use Google Analytic. Read more from http://hubpages.com/faq/#googleanalytics

Ronald

16. grumpyjacksa profile image61
    grumpyjacksaposted 15 years ago

it would seem , then , that if you do a hub Properly ( judging by the scores of commenting hubbers ) , you can expect a CTR of 2 to 3 % . Considering that you only get 60 % of what happens , i would say that's pretty good , 'cause it meas that overall you are getting a CTR of around 5 % , and that's very good .

thanx !

17. profile image0

Actually the hub has a chance to move to the front page when your listing falls out of the hot pages section too, if Google finds it important enough, its not all about backlinks.

I have articles appearing at #1 in google (U.S.) on my site that have no backlinks yet but are solid articles - look up "stumbleupon traffic guide" for example.

You're right that the snippet from your article being on the hot pages doesn't make it easy for the actual article to rank highly (duplicate content etc) but its a small factor.

Backlinks never hurt but they aren't the only important factor by any means.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)