6 suggestions...

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (45 posts)
  1. ProCW profile image78
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

1. Adding a date/time stamp to the Statistics & Traffic Sources sections.

2. Groups: Add the ability for subgroups.

3. Hub Editing: Add the ability to include pictures within text.

4. Make each hub a little more sociable (with trackers of course smile,) possibly an http://www.addthis.com/ button.

5. Page (background) and text color changes on hubs.

6. Ability to create layers on hubs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any other suggestions?

ProCW

1. Squimpleton profile image86
      Squimpletonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

1. Meh
      2. I was actually trying to figure out how to do that lol .Guess it doesn't exist.
      3. I would LOVE that. Or at least the ability to put the picture module on the left. Putting it always on the right is boring.
      4. I thought there was something like this already
      5. That'd be cool...but then I'd have to redo my PrettyHubs tutorials. lol.
      6. Same answer as 5.

So yeah. All of the ones relating the graphics are the ones I like (3,5,6).

2. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

1) From what I've understood in the two years I've been using the HubPages platform is that the stats here are supposed to be very general, with the more advance info coming from Google Analytics (if you chose to use those). 
      2) Since Groups are primarily for the authors themselves, this seems unnecessary to me.
      3) Pictures can already have a caption, or you can have a single picture and use a text capsule to add as much text as you might require next to it, so I'm not sure what you're asking for here.
      4) My hubs seem to be quite sociable as it is without having an extra goo-gah to do it.
      5) Oh, please, no!  Too many people have absolutely no sense of page design and there are already lots of places on the internet to build garish and ugly pages that are hard to read.
      6) Layers?  Seems to be a redundant request of #5 somehow.

1. Squimpleton profile image86

Actually the use of text with images is very limited. What if I want to put a small picture after text..and then put more text afterwards? In other words , what if I want to put a picture in the middle?
        Also what if I want to use my own bullets instead of the ugly standard ones? Can't really do that without the ability to add imagines inside of the text capsule.

What if I want to do a lens about characters and wish to put alternating side pictures? What I mean is what if I want the first picture to be on the LEFT of the text, and then another one on the RIGHT of the text? Since pictures can never be on the left according to the current system, that's impossible to do.

Most importantly the caption system kind of sucks. It turns Line breaks into spaces. If I write

"I like this pic.
        I took it myself"

then I wouldn't want it automatically changed to "I like this pic. I took it myself".

Yes this is a stupid example but there have been times in the past when I got frustrated that line breaks weren't kept, or that you can't put underlines or bold or italics to caption text.

I don't care about the other 5 suggestions that much as I can live without them....but come on , why can't I put a picture to the left and have some control of the way caption text looks? sad

2. ProCW profile image78
        ProCWposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Relache...

1. I'd only like a date/time to see when HubPages stats have been updated; no other reason.

2. Maybe unnecessary to you but not to me.
            (Example: Top Group - Theatre; Subgroups - Plays, Monologues, Acting, Directing, etc.)

3. Simply to be able to put pictures inside the text capsule (left, center, right.)

4. If people already have accounts with stumble, digg, etc. it'd be a nice extra way to help publicize hubs instead of manually going to each site and doing that or having to install alot of toolbars. On a click, addthis.com will do this for up to 34 sites for you. It's a nice goo-gah that is in form of a tiny button.

5. Referring to color and text only. Possibly the ability to change the title / subtitle colors at least. (Understand where you're coming from with this one though.)

6. Referring to background images and offering the ability to frame text with image.
            (Not the same as 5 at all. Closer to being opposite.)

Misha...

If you were not being rude, I apologize for the accusation. I wasn't expecting such a strong opinion against what I've suggested.

ProCW

2. weblog profile image57
    weblogposted 15 years ago

Layers?? Do you mean like we do in Photoshop?

1. ProCW profile image78

Something like that... yes. Offering the ability to put things in like borders, etc.

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

1. Not sure what you mean
    2. Don't care
    3. Don't care
    4. Use "Share it" link at the bottom of the hub. However, it may be made a little more prominent, I myself keep forgetting it is there. smile
    5. Resounding NO - many threads on this.
    6. Not sure what you mean. Did not not see your second post - NO, see item 5.

4. profile image0
    SirDentposted 15 years ago

I think a rating system for hubs would be good. Each hubber should be required to rate their hub when they publish it according to content age. Mush like video game ratings.

5. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Sounds like MySpace to me. Awesome! smile

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mark, you seemed to have misplaced your sarcasm smiley big_smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I didn't think it was needed in this case smile

2. Isabella Snow profile image84
      Isabella Snowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Precisely. I don't like any of the suggestions.

1. ProCW profile image78

That's wonderful Isabella.

6. ProCW profile image78
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

Just a little addition... I'm not posting this to complain at all about HP. I LOVE IT HERE!!!

I am simply offering suggestions... (Hence the thread starting in the "Report a Problem or Suggest a New Feature" section.)

So, with that said, I'd appreciate kind, helpful and non-rude words in this thread.

Thank you Misha for demonstrating the usage of unkind words, a non-helpful spirit and overall rudeness. You've done a terrific job!

For future posters, please be kind. (THESE ARE ONLY SUGGESTIONS.)

ProCW

7. ProCW profile image78
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

I was gonna respond about the myspace thing, but chose not to.

8. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Umm,
    Please point out what exactly was rude in my post? Firm yes, where I have a firm opinion, but rude... IDK, I might be missing something with my ESL, so help me here.

1. weblog profile image57
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm just curious to know, what do IDK and ESL stand for? what do they mean Misha?

2. MrMarmalade profile image68
      MrMarmaladeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Suggest Websters, might line up the correct definitions of these words.

9. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Misha - you weren't rude. Blunt yes, rude no.

Personally, I am a big fan of communicating clearly smile

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mark, now I can rest in peace big_smile

I hope you don't mean R.I.P ?

1. Misha profile image63

See, here comes my ESL tongue
          Sure I did not mean that - but looks like it sounds as I did...

Rest in Peace is something often added to gravestones as R.I.P big_smile

10. Squimpleton profile image86
    Squimpletonposted 15 years ago

IDK I Don't Know
    ESL English as a Second Language.

1. weblog profile image57
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks smile

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Apology accepted smile

1. ProCW profile image78

big_smile good

Now then, when are you going to convert and have EFL?

ProCW
      big_smile

1. Misha profile image63

I have to be born to English speaking country then - so next life may be smile

1. ProCW profile image78

works for me... smile hehe

ProCW

12. Squimpleton profile image86

I don't see what's the big deal about letting people have colors.
    As long as it isn't a free choice, it can be controlled. Why can't HP just pick 3-5 colors that go well with background, and also are easily readable (darkred, darkblue, orange, etc.) and then just add a Color button on the text editor? That way we get the opportunity to mix up colors a bit, and there is still control so that we don't end up reading hubs with poor color choices.

And as far as borders go, if we can have a border option for picture, why not one for text capsules?

You know what else would be cool? You know how there are width choices in the picture capsule? (half, full, quarter). It'd be nice to have those for text capsules as well.

1. Jennifer Bowman profile image59
      Jennifer Bowmanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We do - you can float a text capsule half-width to the right just like a picture capsule.

1. ProCW profile image78

She means being able to center it and all that too.

2. Squimpleton profile image86

As procw stated, I meant so that it would auto center.
        When you put a pic on Quarter with a stand-alone image capsule, it auto-centers. I think that would be cool. For example a recipe hub could have its list of ingredients. The Quarter would allow it to only use a centered amount of space.

13. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

I gues anyone can do all of that on their own personally created web pages--
    but, hey, for some of us, this is complicated enough to learn fom square one. The beauty of HP lies in it's simplicity.  After all, isn't it the CONTENT ?

1. Veronica Bright profile image58
      Veronica Brightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You would think so, wouldn't you?  Most money to be made on writing now is in the advertising.  Content that is well written and in vogue are important, IMHO, but to make money from writing online, you have to take advantage of advertising.

14. Squimpleton profile image86

Content that is unappealing is often ignored or given up on. Moving text around makes it more exciting from a reader's point of view.

There's no point in having great content if its presentation scares away readers.

15. Jennifer Bowman profile image59
    Jennifer Bowmanposted 15 years ago

I don't find any of the possible Hub layouts scary ... smile

I've seen some mighty scary Squidoo lenses and MySpace pages, though!

16. Squimpleton profile image86

Well I think most myspage pages are scary no matter what big_smile

17. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

ProCw, you could make a Myspace page to promote your hubs, which lets you some of the things you wanted to do on your list.  I have Myspace and I will send you an invite if you like.

18. Marian Swift profile image61
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

There are times, I've gotta admit, when I'd love to have HTML tools on Hub Pages.  At the same time, I can see where that added layer of complexity could become a tech-tutoring nightmare for staff.

Besides, no-HTML does force me to focus on content.  Sometimes, a small dose of inconvenience is healthy.

19. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

Not a big fan of any of the suggestions... Sorry...

20. Veronica Bright profile image58
    Veronica Brightposted 15 years ago

And they say Men aren't "catty!"  Meow, gentlemen, MEOW.  And may I add Pfffft.

I enjoy hubpages, but it is not my primary site for publishing my articles.  I would like to see more opportunity to add HTML and our own ads to the hubs.

Hubpages is coming along, I believe, and as I said, I do enjoy it.  I would probably publish more here if it offered more options to dress up the articles.

You may now resume your cat fight

Nice. I like a passive/aggresive woman? smile

Very snotty. Well done. Hubpages is coming along lol Very good. You must be an expert then? Oh wait - only here for 4 weeks lolo

1. Veronica Bright profile image58
        Veronica Brightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh Mark, we have to stop meeting like this.

Nope, no expert, not on hubpages anyway.  I could have sworn I pointed that out.  Hmm, maybe not.

Glad to see you have my back, Mark.....(pfffft)
        lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)