Is There Such a Thing as Reincarnation in Christianity?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. terenceyap07 profile image61
    terenceyap07posted 15 years ago

I'm not very good at Bible knowledge. Can anyone here please help me to understand what these few verses actually mean?

"I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it. For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John. And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come. He who has ears, let him hear." Matthew 11:11-15, NIV

"The disciples asked him, "Why then do the teachers of the law say that Elijah must come first?" Jesus replied, "To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands." Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist."  Matthew 17:10-13, NIV

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Heaven & Hell - never heard of reincarnation in Christianity. Personally never would try to figure out anything from the bible.
    Don't think there is that much or a reward for the effort. But they do seem to be big on the superstar physical embodiment of God.

3. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

I believe that references to reincarnation were generally ruled "apocrypha" by the Council of Nicaea in AD 325 and were eliminated from the Canonical version of the Biblical texts.

If you have found some residual references, it just means the Council's lackeys weren't thorough enough.

Jenny

1. Earl S. Wynn profile image80
      Earl S. Wynnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Right! I've spent a fair amount of time studying comparative religion, and I love digging around in the roots of judeo-christian faiths, so I've seen plenty of references and leads that prove that it was a part of what Jesus taught at one time, but it's been lost over the years.

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
        SparklingJewelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Check out "Reincarnation, the Missing Link in Christianity" by Elizabeth Clare Prophet with Erin Prophet from Summit University Press.
        There are over 100 pages of note sources, references and bibliography. Very informative and well researched.

There you go! Very nice.

4. terenceyap07 profile image61

Yes, I remember having read somewhere that Emperor Constantine was allergic to the word "reincarnation".

Thanks for the heads up, Jenny.

5. terenceyap07 profile image61

Hey Earl,

Could you share those references and leads. I'm really keen to do some research in this area. Would be much obliged, my friend.

See what you can find along the lines of the Gnostic gospel, and a copy of the bible translated from the original aramaic is also helpful. William Henry is a great resource too-- he does books, DVD's, etc. He's kind of far out there, but he pulls together a lot of links between Sumerian texts, Egyptian texts, gnosticism, early christianity, judaism, etc. Also: Joseph Campbell-- most of his stuff is comparative mythology seeking a "monomyth" but it's a good resource. Oh, and google Zietgiest (sp?) The whole opener is a good comparison across the board of the Messiah story.

Actually, that's all a huge base of information leading to it. I saw the actual pinpoint answer in print at one point, but I'm trying to remember where. I'd start with the Gnostic gospel and anything you can find that's unadulterated text from the original texts the bible was condensed and copied down from.

Anybody else have any other ideas/places/etc. to add? Maybe http://www.pastlives.org/christianity.htm It has some pretty basic info, but it's a start.

6. terenceyap07 profile image61

Sparkling Jewel and Earl:

You people are the greatest. Thank you so much. *smiles*

7. HHB profile image58
    HHBposted 15 years ago

WOW I just joined the HUB and earlier today I was talking to two women.
    One was a fundamental christian
    the other a new age.

The great divide was appearent.  One that believed in reincarnation did not identify with God but source and the other identified with the trinity and life eternal.

Then I read these threads so obviously I am to seek clarity on the topic too.

Once upon a time,  the earth was flat.  Everyone new this too it was logical.
    Now in our time, what is seen is not real and what we do not see is.

I have met two women who do past life regressions. 
    Totally different methods.
    One,  watches a movie in her minds eye and shares the era and gives names, important dates to the client so they can go look up the information.
    The other speaks in time backwards while you are in a relaxed state and you observe
    your past life in your own mind.

Which is best?  What is true? 

I believe that Jesus is God Incarnate and the Holy Spirit is God too.
    Therefore I am a one God only believer and that God is in me too.
    Which then coincides with the new age that we all are connected.

I am babbling it is 4:30 a.m.  to early for such thoughts.
    Or a first ever post as a new member.

Have a wonderful Thursday.

HH  roll

Personally, from my twenty odd years of research, experiences and healing studies and practice, I think regressions, psychics, channels, mediums, and that ilk are not the best to deal with because it takes you into your past. Looking back is not the answer, because everything we are now is the accumulation of the past, so all we need to do is deal with what human ego conditions we have now and become the best person we can be and attain the holiest connection with God possible.
      Personally, there's nothing Holy about the above mentioned realms of "work". Mucking around in the past, just makes more bad karma and the soul can get lost rooting around in it.
      Deal with your psychology of this life, heal relationship issues with family, friends and God and acquire a devotion that lifts you up; not one that glorifies the human ego or brings you down.

8. mohitmisra profile image61
    mohitmisraposted 15 years ago

Reincarnation was a part of theiri doctrine but was later banned.

9. knolyourself profile image60

And why was it they the banned the concept?

1. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dont know.

One theory goes that they were scared of losing their individuality.Like in Hinduism all truths and philosophies are engulfed.Sufism to greek philosophy is blended in something the Church did not want.smile

Well, for sure, it was mostly just the fact that they (thier human egos) wanted to maintain power over the people by being the only ones to "lead" from darkness.

Also, once a person knows his/her soul exists(& existed) beyond this plane, they can attain a greater sense of self with God. As long as the "powers that be" are in control, the people rely on them for guidance and intercession, instead of initiating their own soul by connecting with God. Instead of growing up in a spiritual sense, they stay ignorant children and can't get a sense of their own will.

10. knolyourself profile image60

Good point. There is also the seeming fact that maybe in
    general in the East, the emphasis has been to transcend duality, whereas in the West the emphasis is dualism embraced and personified.

11. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

It was political - it's much easier to get people to do what you tell them to do if they think they only have one shot at redemption.

Look how much the frothing-mouthed evangelical Christians bang on about "DIE, return to DUST, suffer in agony for ALL ETERNITY ..." and so on.

Add in reincarnation, and the big stick goes away.

Jenny

return to DUST, could have another meaning or tangent to it.

Addded this couplet.
      Spread knowlede of the light is what I must.
      Soon I will be just dust.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)