The lesser evolved

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (91 posts)
  1. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Are believers in god/s members of the "lesser evolved" of the human species?

1. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why does it have to be "lesser" not differently or something less insulting to believers and arrogant sounding on your part? hmm

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kirst;
        I am not one who is in to "political correctness." I just ask questions as I think of them.
        If others are insulted, isn't that their problem? One can only be insulted if one allows that to happen.
        Besides, I like to ask questions that arouse passion in responses. Is that wrong?

You say 'political correctness' I say 'maximizing effectiveness in choosing my words wisely', patato, pototo (something like that, hard to covey different pronunciations of the same word in text lol). The choice of words you use is not likely to inspire energetic debate and seems likely to spiral into name calling by those on both sides who are easily triggered into such states. It's not wrong to want to arouse passion but it sounded like you were trying to arouse anger? It's all about the words you choose that produces results on a forum that only uses words in text. What point is there in asking questions that have barriers to honest debate within the question itself, why ask something in a way this is not likely to actually produce the response you really want?

1. qwark profile image60

Kirst:
            Ah, but I want to use words that cause passionate response.
            I wan't challenge!
            During response to challenge, the challenger is hell bent upon making and winning a point.
            When I ask a question like the one I ask here, you said I was insulting? So be it!
            Look at the wonderful responses I'm getting from you?
            In the long run, I get another view of things that may or may not be of value to me. :-)
            I'm not going to ask benign questions which might interest the average Joe blow. I want to pique interest and get strong responses from others whom agree or diagree with me.
            It's fun and can be enlightening.
            What are the forums for? Hmmmm?  :-)

lol well I am rather evolved  (see I can even use cool smileys! haha) Not to mention hard to insult tongue
              Joking aside I think my point is that I am not answering your original question but have instead chatted with you about your choice of words, not that that does not have entertainment value (I would go elsewhere if I found it boring) but the scope of the conversation is more limited to the semantics of word usage. I suppose its good training for a site full of writers! yikes

1. Arthur Fontes profile image73
                Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

At least you are not anti semantic

2. qwark profile image60

Thanks Kirst: :-)
                I got you to to reply!
                That's my intention.
                Why ask questions in the forum that get no responses?
                I am perfectly serious when I create a question tho.
                I get both sillyness and seriousness in response...that's expected.
                I love "input" if it is well thought out and well expressed.
                If people get mad at me..cool! Their anger causes me to "think!"
                What's better'n that?
                Thanks for your wonderful responses...:-)

Ahhhhhh!!!!! Semantics tongue *pthhhhhh* (that was a raspberry noise if you couldn't tell, have yet to find a smiley that does raspberries). You say you got me to reply, I say I chose to reply

My choice was made because it might be stimulating to challenge the way you asked your question. It was stimulating so your welcome lollol

1. qwark profile image60

Kirst:
                    Hahaha...but ya responded! Gotcha! :-)

2. Friendlyword profile image60
            Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What you said makes sense. It took all of air out of my sails, but I have to agree with you. I will be a little more careful when I choose my comments.(A Little)

2. profile image0
          Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's like asking: Why does your team suck?

Using your response and its question prompts this response: How could your team improve? sounds more productive to me smile

1. profile image0
              Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Indeed it would. The way the question is asked, will undoubtedly steer the tone of the discussion to either fruitful or useless. big_smile

The challenge for a writer, choosing the right words to illicit the desired response using text alone smile (used to be that one of the big challenges was spelling, thank the computer gods for spell check! lol)

YES IT IS WRONG!!! IT IS SOOOO WRONG!!! And dont you dare stop being real.  There are so few of us here on HubPages.

You need to separate the good decent Christians from the true believers and fanatics.

1. qwark profile image60

Friendly:
              How do I seperate the "true believer" from the "fanatic?"

1. Friendlyword profile image60

They are the same.
                Sorry to confuse you.
                True Believers and Fanatics use religion to justify the hate they feel for the human race.  They want to control us with hate and fear for each other. God Fearing Christians and Jew, and Muslim just want to live in peace and practice thier faith in a way that does not hurt, but helps to improve the world around them.

3. Springboard profile image84
            Springboardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Always a loaded topic and so I hope I don't get into too much trouble here. But here's my take;

Believers are not lesser. But I do think that it is fair to say that believers are not open-minded. Now, that said, neither are non-believers open-minded. If you can't see the possibility of another truth, then you are closed-minded. So, if you cannot believe God could NOT exist, or if you cannot believe that he CAN exist, you are closed-minded.

Does that make one lesser?

No. It just means you are not willing to accept other possibilities.

I tend to look at everything, including religion with an open-mind. I'll do my homework, I won't automatically debunk any one theory or ideal, I'll simply put the pieces of the puzzle together and make a decision at the end of the day as to what I think is right...

And also accept the possibility that what I think may still be wrong.

Having said all of THAT, I would have to agree that your question had an ill-slanted bent.

Well said on all counts big_smile

2. qwark profile image60

Spring:
              I have to agree with you. The question was "slanted." which way is relative to one's bent in ref. to reality or myth.
              I too, put the "trivia" together, like a jigsaw puzzle. When "it" all comes together I can form an opinion which can be used to make decisions and guide my life.
              Do you think monotheists do this? Or are they taught the contents of a book which is not at all credible, about characters as unreal as those in "Grimms" fairy tales and then guide their lives by the illogics of it?
              To my way of thinking that is a form of insanity and is generated by "primitive" fear and superstition..
              That's why I think that those who involve themselves in primitive thought and action and reaction are the lesser evolved of the human species.

1. Springboard profile image84

Believing in a religion does not make one insane, though there are insane people who happen to be religious. But then neither does NOT believing make one SANE—there's plenty insane people who AREN'T religious. People have all sorts of reasons to believe or not believe. At the end of the day I may disagree with one's belief system, but it doesn't mean they are lesser of a human being.

You said you put the trivia together like a jigsaw puzzle. But you're still debunking the pieces that you don't think quite fit to your liking. I said that I was open-minded enough to understand the possibility that what I think to be true may, in fact, be false.

Without getting too confusing with a lot of metaphors and analogy here, when I put my puzzle together it may look just fine to me and look really out of place to you. Keep in mind that in the case of THIS puzzle, no one knows exactly what it is SUPPOSED to look like. No one can. There's no picture on the box. These are just a bunch of random pieces we have to try and piece together for ourselves.

If you point to my puzzle and say "That's wrong," and then follow it up with "because you're a lesser form of human intelligence," suddenly your argument becomes moot. How we see the finished puzzle is a matter of where we individually put the pieces—there's really no way (now) to conclusively determine your way is right or mine is not.

1. qwark profile image60

Spring:
                  pls re-read what I wrote to you.
                  I put the pieces (trivia) together like pieces in a jigsaw puzzle. If all the trivia "fits" the only conclusion can be a correct picture (concept.)
                  I can then make decisions based upon the "correct" picture (concept) all the pieces just created.
                  All people are not created equal!
                  I am not an Einstein or a Hawking...but they are weak in areas I have proven to be strong in.
                  Ability and aptitude are controlled by genetics. Which makes us all very unique creatures.
                  All people do not evolve at the same rate.
                  Evolution is controlled by "environment." If one's environment is not rich in the availability of everything needed to produce the kinds of genetic possiblities that are intrinsic to you, evolution takes a different path. This path has been defined as "natural selection."
                  I believe that religious belief frustrates open minded learning and therefore controls the believers environment.
                  It frustrates man's ability to "adapt."
                  What does "Cruel" Mother Nature do to those who cannot adapt? ...EXTINCTION.
                  UNFORTUNATELY! The majority of humanity is monotheistic and frustrated.

1. Springboard profile image84

Your underwear may fit my bottom, but it sure in the heck isn't the "correct" pair.

1. qwark profile image60

Spring:

They would be if I put them on...:-)

It's starting to look like Atiest, High Minded Thinkers, True Belivers, and Fanatics all have one thing in common. They all take words out of the Bible that were not meant to be taken literally and they run with  those words in four different directions. It's not hard to understand the Bible if you read it with an open mind and common sense. There are great lessons in the Bible for anybody looking to learn about life. Instead, some people are looking to confirm some idea they already had.

1. qwark profile image60

friendly:
                  Really?
                  Why does this biblical god thing demand the murder of so many of the children "it" alledgedly created in "it's" own image?
                  Or did you just flip over those pages?

2. DogSiDaed profile image60
        DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No. What makes you think that?

3. Pr0metheus profile image59
        Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How arrogant do you have to be to actually think this?

1. qwark profile image60

pro:
          Why would you think my question to be a sign of arrogance?
          Pls clarify this comment for me...thanks

1. Pr0metheus profile image59

Thinking that your more evolved than someone OF THE SAME SPECIES who has different ideas doesn't come off as arrogant to you?

1. qwark profile image60

Pro:
              It might be thought of as being that if the subject was backed by more reliable and acceptable knowledge of the subject.
              In this case, no arrogance here, just an honest perception based upon my knowledge of anthropology and the rise of belief in supernatural entities by frightened evolving human creatures.
              Modern man has been here for about 30 - 40 k years. He is an "infant" species that when frightened creates and holds tightly to a surogate savior.
              There are those who have intellectually risen far beyond a need for that kind of valueless security.
              They have replaced that need with education, an understanding of that which creates fear.
              Understanding quells fear.
              I believe that these people have evolved to a great deal greater extent, intellectually, than believers in myth..

Well, that's assuming that all you are is determined by whats in your genes.  Do you think that the situations you have been in, and the way you reacted to them have not played a part in making you who you are?  If so, then you could argue the less evolved theory (either way it will seem arrogant).  I think the answer to the question is undoubtedly no.  I have known many intelligent religious people.  I have also known many intelligent spiritual people.  In fact, some might consider spiritual gurus to be MORE evolved.  Note though, that even though they may think that themselves, nobody mentions it.

1. qwark profile image60

Pro:
                  All you CAN BE, IS determined by your "genes.
                  of course I agree with you in ref to my experiences making me what I am.
                  I can't intellectually respond to any of your questions about "intelligence or spiritual."
                  I have no idea what your definition of intelligence is.
                  When you speak of intelligence as I define it, the religion is the antithesis of it.
                  Spiritual? Clarify pls...I know ya don't mean "booze."

Sure, but all that you ARE is not determined by your genes.

Spirituality.  As an intellectual individual you cannot deny the fact that we do not know much about the universe.  You also cannot deny that there MIGHT be a "spiritual world" existing on a different dimensional plane that allows communication of thoughts and information through some alternate channels (paranormal).  It is possible.  If these channels do exist, and spiritual gurus are able to tap into it, would they not be more intelligent because they were able to utilize it?

I'm not talking religion here.  Religion is a bad thing, no doubt.  It breeds ignorance and violence in the name of a "prophet" who preached peace and acceptance.  I'm talking about spiritual people.

1. qwark profile image60

Pro: "...but all that you ARE is not determined by your genes.

My goodness!  lol I didn't say that it does.
                      Go back and re-read my comment....

2. qwark profile image60

Pro:
                      I can't respond.
                      I asked you what is this thing spiritual you mention.
                      What is it?

2. Arthur Fontes profile image73

This this this this

3. kirstenblog profile image77

I hate to answer for someone else but hey I am going to anyway tongue (sorry pro)

The use of the word lesser in reference to a group that you are vocally not a part of can be easily seen as arrogant as there is the implication that the group you belong to is greater then the other lesser group you are referring to. That would be arrogant. How you choose your words make a wold of difference as to how people respond

Haha, no no.. Feel free.  I'm surprised that anybody can't see the arrogance in this post.

Now the question that comes to mind is: what if you really are better then a particular group, how to state that fact without being arrogant! lol

Just don't state the fact?  If you are better than another group, why do you need to tell other people?  It will be realized without you having to state it...

Assuming your company is intelligent enough to realize it without you having to state it lol hehehehe wink

I guess the serious answer would be to not state it but to display it through actions hmm

Exactly.  big_smile

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
                  Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm, well the people whom I have considered more "enlightened" than myself, usually look at others as valuable beings, and therefore, usually don't think of themselves as "better." They look at others as being on a journey, and where they are is what is supposed to be. They believe ultimately, the journey brings us to the same place, but at different rates, depending on our resistance or acceptance of "enlightenment."

In other words, "evolved" has nothing to do with the equation of who we are individually or collectively, at least as I understand "enlightenment."

1. qwark profile image60

Dan:
                    "...evolved" has nothing to do with the equation of who we are individually or collectively,..."
                    Oh yes it does..:-)

2. Springboard profile image84

That about says it. smile

4. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are there lesser evolved human beings ?
        I thought we were all the same kind of fools.

5. sooner than later profile image59
        sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your church leader thinks so. what would dawkins do? WWDD

6. starme77 profile image77
        starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol makes sense to me lol

1. qwark profile image60

Starme:
          You are appreciated! Thanks!:-)

7. Richieb799 profile image75
        Richieb799posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It depends what you called evolved, Im glad that message I sent last time screwed up because of syntax or whatever because it seems more appropriate here.

Western civilization has been disregarding the knowledge of less developed civilizations for decades, making people ignorant , where as they live in peace with better form of communications.. while there are wars over money and material gain over here and t.v encourages us to compete over material gain just to serve the economy.

So if your question is regarding the believe of a god being 'less evolved' or the definition of the word evolved.

1. qwark profile image60

Richie:
          I'm sorry my friend, but the
          syntax is no better here.
          What you tried to say made no sense.  :-)

1. Richieb799 profile image75
            Richieb799posted 14 years agoin reply to this

did the syntax mess up on the comment i made on your hub too? :-)

1. qwark profile image60

Richie:
              Which hub was that?

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years ago

big_smile lol @ "patato, pototo" smile

to answer the question, no, believers aren't "less" anything. idiots come in all belief or non-belief systems.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen, hallelujah, sistah.
        lol

2. dohn121 profile image81
        dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol cool

3. kirstenblog profile image77

Glad you liked that big_smile
        Wasn't sure how to convey that saying in text so glad it kinda worked lol

1. rmcrayne profile image91
          rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Potato, patato smile

4. SandyMcCollum profile image64
        SandyMcCollumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow...idiots huh..... not sure I understand what's meant by that, and not sure if I want to.....

3. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

The main issue is once again a huge misunderstanding of evolution. It doesn't have 'purpose' or 'drive'. It isn't setting out to enhance anyone. If a species is here it works. Religious people are here, and so are non religious. The word 'evolution' can only be used here as a metaphor and no more.

4. creepy profile image56
      creepyposted 14 years ago

you ask a lot of questions for a supposed higher evolved person

5. profile image0

haha smile

hey, i think squiggles mcbeebee has a crush on your avatar wink

I am flattered
        But who is squiggles mcbeebee? (I love that name by the way lol)

1. profile image0
          SquigglesMcBeeBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh hai smile

Squiggles McBeeBee at your service... wink

6. Arthur Fontes profile image73
      Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago
    7. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

*looks around* Wait! this is the Hubber's Hangout? Then why is there a question about religion in here? Oi!

Yeah, confusing but hey we have discussed the semantics of word choice in the effectiveness of word choice and semantics and such, not much religion goin on here wink

1. profile image0
          Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Oh so this is a English thread instead of religion? sweet

For a while as I challenged the nature of how the question was asked and if it was maybe a waste if its not likely to produce honest debate but anger and name calling and all the junk, who knows, if a religious question is asked in a way that honestly inspires some spiritual debate it might change wink

1. qwark profile image60

Kirst:

you didnt say debate?.c'mon!
              Why would one "debate" that which no one "knows" anything about"

2. qwark profile image60

Kirst:
          Ok, here comes the religion aspect.
          I am one of the ilk that thinks believers in supernatural divinities are members of the lesser evolved of the human species.  :-)

Well I take evolution seriously, its a complicated and highly detailed process with no lessers or greaters. One question that comes to mind is, are humans (taken as a whole) 'better' then say, dogs which can be quite loyal and intelligent or say the dolphin or elephant, both considered to be highly intelligent and capable of some form of communication. This is the problem with your question for me, the lesser value implied because of some 'perceived' difference. It cannot be answered if one does not think in terms of greater and lesser, and is distasteful to one who thinks that it is the very plethora of variations on life that makes being alive wonderful, with those values all life has almost equal value (in a choice ones own species does tend to come first).

As for the idea that people are differently evolved, genetically there seems to be proof, different face structures and skin colors are kinda clues to me that regions people lived in influenced their bodies. As far as spirituality in regards to evolution, no connection. No 'religious' gene responsible for believing in Jesus, no 'atheist' gene that keeps you from being able to believe in God. My dad and mom are atheists yet as a kid I went to church every sunday alone. I have moved beyond church but I do still believe, if you had any valid point then there would have to be a genetic bio-chemical reason for my belief but I am more then just the sum of my parts.

I was not challenged on my comment that I am highly evolved wink  Shall I fetch my trenches helmet and await the bomb explosions?

2. Arthur Fontes profile image73

You Spin Me Round ♫ http://blip.fm/~iw9ol

1. profile image0
          Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol hey Arthur! how ya been?

1. Arthur Fontes profile image73

I have been good thank you for asking.

8. Arthur Fontes profile image73

We're Not Gonna Take It  ♫ http://blip.fm/~iwd2t

9. Arthur Fontes profile image73

Man On The Silver Mountain ♫ http://blip.fm/~iwde7

10. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

Well guys, it's been swell but the swellings gone down tongue
      I am off to chill out on the couch in front of the idiot box for a bit smile

11. Pr0metheus profile image59
      Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

I did read it, I was just making the counter point.

I don't think I could do justice to the definition of spirituality.  It's like being religious without being blinded by religious leaders.

1. qwark profile image60

Pro:
        Then I can't be expected to respond intellectually. I am not familiar with the "spirituality" you refer to...

12. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years ago

Pr0metheus

I did read it, I was just making the counter point.

I don't think I could do justice to the definition of spirituality.  It's like being religious without being blinded by religious leaders.

qwark
            Then I can't be expected to respond intellectually. I am not familiar with the "spirituality" you refer to...

Spirituality is to "know thyself". It is knowing and acting rightly with conscious mind. It is purification of mind and soul. No religious leaders are needed to be spiritual.
      Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

1. qwark profile image60

Hi Jyoti:

That is nothing but opinion and ya know what I feel about opinion and conjecture.
        Thanks for responding tho..:-)

13. profile image0

tomayto, tomahto, orange, um... never mind.

14. Richieb799 profile image75
      Richieb799posted 14 years ago

the gay gene one, I would consider myself agnostic.. but I just noticed that in your hub and remembered reading about the gay gene

1. qwark profile image60

Richie:
        I'll check it..:-)

2. qwark profile image60

Richie:
        I don't know why I dont get a message when someone reads one of my "hubs" and leaves a message.
        Sorry I didn't get back to you.
        I answered your response.
        Thanks for taking the time to read it and for your question.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)