Human Value

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (43 posts)
  1. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

In the "grande," cosmic scheme of things, what is the value of human existence?

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here today, gone tomorrow. The cosmos is billions of years old; we have been here 30,000 years or so. Meh....

1. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mark:
        ...good reply.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69
        IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mark, did you read about the new primate fossil they found in Germany, dating back to 47 million years ago?  They are calling it our missing link.  It was perfectly sealed away in a slate bed, and had actually been stored in someone's private collection for 20+ yrs., before a Finland Archaeologist found it being sold on the black market.  Really interesting find.

Darwinius masillae? Yes. No doubt we will continue to fill in the blanks. Hopefully before we wipe ourselves off the planet.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
            Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't that be funny?  Then when the aliens land, their archaeologists will have to piece the whole puzzle together from scratch again.

Ironic even. Especially if they found some creationist evidence - and by that I mean evidence of a creationist rather than the other thing.  big_smile

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69

They could probably do it faster than we have been able too, especially without the creationist lurking in the windows. 

That's mean, my bad...wink

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very precious.
      To other humans, hopefully, and to God Himself.
      We were made, according to the Bible, both "in His image", and a "little lower than the angels",  yet God's Love for us is something even the angels don't fully understand.

3. marcel285 profile image64
      marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

To fullfill your purpose

4. Jewels profile image81
      Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In the grande scheme of things, from the cosmic standpoint, we really have no understanding of the value of human existence.  We can only take the human standpoint of values.  To ask the question from a cosmic standpoint is a waste of words.  It's not an answerable question unless you are able to take the standpoint of a non human and ask that being.

Human values are a human construct.

5. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what do you think it is?

1. qwark profile image59

Hi Cosette:
        I've aleady answered that..:-)
        The answer is nothing.
        Here was my posted answer:
        "The question is so easy to answer.
        The only value that can be attributed to man is that which he feels for himself.
        On this planet? He is of no greater intrinsic value than a maggot or a chunk of fungus.
        To believe, to think that an unimaginably dynamic force which could create the fantastically complex intricacies involved in the existence of ALL in the cosmos, could have an interest in creatures which are absolutely worthless to anything but themselves for the moment they exist, is unadulterated absurdity!
        Our value in this limitless cosmos could be compared to that of a short lived, innocuous virus in your body.
        You didn't know it was there, you didn't know when it died, it had no effect you in any manner and even if you'd known it was there, you wouldn't have given a damn!
        In a couple billion years when all life on this planet is taken out by Mother Nature, the cosmos will not know that there was an ineffectual momentary happening in it's bowels that caused it no discomfort and it will carry on, in good health, for the next googolplex years."

6. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Value of human existence has  no value out of this world.
      Humans will disappear eventually and the Universe will still go on.

1. qwark profile image59

TAntrum:
        Right on!  :-)

2. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

To create.

1. qwark profile image59

Golden:
      The creation of what?

1. goldenpath profile image67
        goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I, personally, guage the value by the end potential of human existence.  No, I am not going to get all religious on you.  It is my estimation that the human condition is to learn, grow, expand and create.  Create what?  Create all things that we see all around us.  We have that potential.  We have that possible expansion.

1. qwark profile image59

Golden:
          No religious response required here...just a well thought out response to the question.

3. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Human value is measured by the affection others have towards the human being gauged/measured.

1. qwark profile image59

Shades:
      Re-read.
      "The grande" cosmic value of man is?

Why do I have to re-read?  Perhaps you need to re-phrase or clarify.  Otherwise my answer stands just fine.  There is nothing else in the cosmos that can have/ascribe any value for man, therefore the only valuation that can be made of man is that which one man bestows upon another.

1. qwark profile image59

Shades:

I quote you: "There is nothing else in the cosmos that can have/ascribe any value for man,.."
          I didn't ask if there is anything that can have any value for man in the cosmos..
          I have to agree that there is nothing in the cosmos that can "ascribe" any value for man.
          I didn't ask for either of those answers. They are not relevant.

Ok, then if you aren't interested in the value of man in the cosmos or to the cosmos or anything in it, wtf are you asking? (Hence my suggestion you re-phrase or clarify).

And how do you decide what is relevant to a discussion of such dubious concepts as "value" and "cosmos" anyway, much less a combination of them?

1. qwark profile image59

Shades:
              Why do you consider the responses to my question to be dubious?
              If I use the terms "grande" and cosmos...isn't that kind of referencing the value as it relates to the macro?.
              If you like to keep your response shallow and refer it to ephemeral life here on this planet ..NP
              I'm not hoping for answers to be that simple and unthought. I'd like more well thought out responses and with greater depth and quality..:-)

I think the only shallowness here is your reading of my answers.  How can you possibly ask a question about human value in the cosmos and expect an answer that is "macro" and yet still includes any consideration of humanity.  The only possible answer to your question that you would allow with this limit you are placing on my answers is "there is NO value on a cosmic scale."  Which may be your point, to herd us all to your inevitable conclusions, but if so, then don't pretend like you really want to examine the finer philosophical points of the idea of "value" and how it might be contextualized or extrapolated from it's point of origin.  You accuse me of shallowness, but had you not been so quick to dismiss my initial reply, had spent some time thinking before letting your itchy fingers fly, you would have spotted lots of ontological possibilities.

1. qwark profile image59

Shades:
                  thanks!
                  good response! Much appreciated.
                  So what you're saying is that there is no human value to be considered when you consider an infinite and eternal cosmos?
                  What are your thoughts on some of the ontological aspects of my question?

2. qwark profile image59

Shades:
              Ty! 
              "...in the value of man in the cosmos or to the cosmos or anything in it,.." now ya got it.
              well?
              Why the use of the word "dubious?"

4. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

It's only the value that humans put on it.

1. qwark profile image59

Ralwus:
      CAn ya elaborate on that a little? An example maybe? :-)

5. profile image0

Well animals lower than us can't place a value on anything, only humans can do that. Self explanatory I think. If there is any one else out there, I don't think I know how they value us. We are worthless creatures full of hate and destruction, the worst of all animals.

1. qwark profile image59

ralwus:
      YOu use the term "worst."
      In what respect are we "worst?" :-)

6. profile image0

I saw that too IE. Great stuff.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69

Yeah Ralwus, it really was.  It was National Geograhic I think.  But anyhow- what a fascinating sign.  How can anyone deny the right of human passage now, is beyond me.  Sorry Qwark, I didn't mean to highjack your post.  Just thought it was interesting commentary.

7. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Attention Hubbers,

Lyricsingray and I are trying to add more value to the Hubber Community of Men and Women.

Want more information on how? Check out our forum. smile

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/31352#top

8. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

The question is so easy to answer.
    The only value that can be attributed to man is that which he feels for himself.
    On this planet? He is of no greater intrinsic value than a maggot or a chunk of fungus.
    To believe to think that an unimaginably dynamic force which could create the fantastically complex intricacies involved in the existence of ALL in the cosmos, could have an interest in creatures which are absolutely worthless to anything but themselves for the moment they exist, is unadulterated absurdity!
    Our value in this limitless cosmos could be compared to that of a short lived, innocuous virus in your body.
    You didn't know it was there, you didn't know when it died, it had no effect you in any manner and even if you'd known it was there, you wouldn't have given a damn!
    In a couple billion years when all life on this planet is taken out by Mother Nature, the cosmos will not know that there was an ineffectual momentary happening in it's bowels that caused it no discomfort and it will carry on, in good health, for the next googolplex years.

9. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I like this. Two good minds. smile

10. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

It's difficult for me to understand why, when I ask a question as simple to answer as this one, that so few can open their minds, expand there ability to understand, consider their relativity and construct a well thought out response.
    Maybe we just take our existence for granted and never consider that all that we enjoy in living, is fleeting and when gone...it's gone forever!
    I've said it before: "we are just a happening."
    The wonder of life is that it has happened to you!
    Think about that! The odds don't exist for that to happen.
    protect it, enjoy it like it'll never happen again! It won't! That's an "absolute."

11. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

oh hey i missed your post, obviously. sorry about that.

and you're right, when Man disappears, there will be no trace of him, and his 'value' is that which he places on himself, thankfully most of the damage he is doing to the planet will be repaired by Mother Nature, which has astounding healing capabilities.

thanks, qwark. i like your questions, but it's nice to know what you think too sometimes smile

1. qwark profile image59

Thanks Cosette:
      You are appreciated. You are a "thinker." :-)

12. profile image0

so i have value, eh?

wink

i'm so wicked...

1. qwark profile image59

...Cosette:
      Of course!  lol..to you and yours...and,....to me!  :-)
      ...and I love that kind of "wickedness."

13. profile image0

smile

i suspected as much. wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)