Who Is SATAN ?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image56
    DevilPoetposted 15 years ago

Hi friends, do you have an idea on this issue? Who is satan ?

1. Paraglider profile image87
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

A mis-typed close relative of Santa?

1. weblog profile image58
        weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Funny lol

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Isn't satan the same as the devil, and both of these as non-physical entities? My guess is most or all evil comes from humans, and satan or the devil are suppose to take the blame for a lot of it.

3. topstuff profile image60
    topstuffposted 15 years ago

Whoever follows him.

4. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

All Souls originally came from God/created by God Energy.

Some souls choose over time to misuse the God Energy that they are made from and end up becoming evil. There is a large spectrum of degrees from God good to evil.

Satan was a soul that through choices of his own, ended up at the opposite end of the spectrum, evil.

That name has been used with varied meaning. "Satan made me do", some people worship Satan,  evil =Satan, etc.

In reality the soul that was Satan has been through the second death...his soul is no more. He does not exist.

But other souls have continued his "work" and use the name as a source of evil power, to fool and control other souls.

In the name of  Jesus the Christ, there is no power of Satan on earth!

5. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Satan has so many uses that if it didn't exist they would have to make it up. Art like fiction and film needs antagonism to sell. Course the religions need it, because no reason for them, if not to save all from satan. The politicians need it, as simple demonization, without ever having to explain the real reasons for anything, and you don't go to war against angels. Course it
    is a tradition of the Republican Party - like Nixon who never ran a campaign without he did not call his opponent a communist.

6. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

A Serpant.  LOL.  Oh I mean a bad spirit dressed up in Serpant skins.  Haven't we had this forum topic already like um five times.

7. profile image0
    Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years ago

Satan is the spirit of lawlessness and rebellion and pride in connection to it. 

Lawlessness being defined as that which is not in accord with the supposed "natural" way of things that X-tiianity defines.

Satan from an historical standpoint (as in Old Testament theological understanding) simply meant "adversary" and as far as I can tell was a connotation to someone who opposed the "will of the Lord".  Satan in my opinion always has and always will be the spirit of rebellion to perceived lawful authority of any spiritual "God(s)" or "God's Will".

Satan allegedly wanted to defy "God" (as far as Christian theology is concerned), thus I see Satan as representing anyone who claims to merely know better than "God" (as this represents marked defiance to "God").

Satan is a metaphorical concept as old as the hills that is designed to strike fear in the hearts of those who do not cowtow to the theological party line of whatever religious system that has power at a given time or who refuse to cowtow to the religious party line they were raised and indoctrinated to believe in.

Satan is the ability to question the supposed "law of God" and refuse to play by the rules, as such Satan's alleged sin was Pride.

Pride.

Knowing better than "God", or thinking you have a better way are all manifestations of the spirit of Satan, and as such are morally condemned by the Christian religion.

Knowing better than "God" is not conducive to proper indoctrination and "Faith".

It is not enough to believe in "God" it is only enough when you think you do not know better and believe it with all your heart and label that "Faith".

Faith is salvation, because it is in not challenging the will of "God" that we become true slaves to it, and through slavery we find Salvation (according to how I understand Christianity).

This is the Christian Religion in a nutshell.

Satan is much akin to the Oracle in The Matrix.

It is only another system of control, designed to intimidate and inspire people with it's tyranny of mystical malice.

Fear is a powerful control mechanism, one that people know and live with everyday and Satan represents the worst Terror the Christian Religion as believed by millions of people can conjure up.

Satan is truly the demon of the mob mentality that equates humans with sheep and non mob participants with goats.  The very concept is designed from inception to strike absolute Terror into the hearts of those who actually doubt and disbelieve, and as such it is a tool for manipulating people into conformity with the alleged "Will of God", as the realm of Hell and eternally disproportionate punishments allegedly await those who supposedly do not yield their will and "souls" to "God" and instead prefer to be apart from "God" from all eternity.  Despite the fact that there is no shred of evidence to support the idea that "God" or "God(s)" exist in the first place.  No continuous psychic connection at birth, no manifestation of a physical person that is indisputably morally perfect, none.  Just a book and a bunch of messengers that relay a message of slavery and submission to the message as old as humankind.

So take the most cruel tyrant ever, desire not to be with that person, and once that person locks you up in solitary confinement for the rest of your days simply because you desire to not be with him or her at the moment, label that Hell.

That is what Satan represents, the desire to cling to any idea or conception or feeling that challenges the moral hegemony that monolithic forms of religion like Christianity truly are.

It is not enough for "God" to tell me himself I was mistaken and that I can be at peace and find "love", I have to hear his "messengers" tell me, which is why it is a farce and despicably unethical.  All religions use this or similar methods, and the "messengers" claim immunity when their product does not suffice to "cure-all" and make actually make life better, similar to the miracle salve man when he sells you something inferior.

I will say a lot of people who get caught up in organized religion truly do have good intentions which makes the whole thing (and not the people involved) all the more pathetic.

8. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

A fairy tale character tongue
    Or is it tail? wink

1. profile image0
      Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What you said, but far more sophisticated.

One for grown ups and not for children.

9. mohitmisra profile image60
    mohitmisraposted 15 years ago

The Hindi word is Shaitan- so simliar.

That's it. English borrows words(can say inspiration?) from many languages. smile

1. mohitmisra profile image60
        mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Its more like a universal language the difference being in pronounciation which changes the spelling.smile

I don't say for this particular word - Satan. But, generally English has many words of Indian origin. I think we discussed it on other thread smile

Yes I agree.Its like Sanskrit and Tamil are the older languages from where other languages have been derived..

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
              Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hate to disappoint you guys, but English is an Anglo-Saxon language with no roots in Sanskrit or Tamil. smile

http://www.randomhistory.com/1-50/023english.html

Although, if you have read your Douglas Adams, you will know that there are some words that occur across the Galaxy such as Jynantonix big_smile

Mark, I did not do any research on it big_smile But, I can say few words are there in english that have tamil origin (I don't know if there is something from other Indian languages) May be not so long ago to say ROOT, but English people picked some words from tamil. It was when India was in British Rule. This is what I know smile

2. mohitmisra profile image60

Very possible as the aryans or northern Indians were considered descendants of nomadic European tribes.smile And I would say it is more like there was a universal language wich spread.

lol - The Aryans are Germanic people. Blond hair, blue eyes and a considerable walk across some very hostile mountains to Northern India. big_smile

hahha a long walk indeed.big_smile

2. topstuff profile image60
      topstuffposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No,Shaytan is actually an arabic word.
      And the english word Satan is adapted from hebrew word which means adversary.The Arabic word "shaytan" is a cognate to this. Satan in Islamic teaching where he is also named Iblis is from the race of the jinn  rather than being a fallen angel as in Christian teaching.

No,Shaytan is actually an arabic word.Its also Hindi.

10. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Like "Curry"? big_smile

Yes, and "Catamaran" for example (in tamil we say Kattumaram). Mark, still I don't remember some other words. But, I have seen in wikipedia. smile

I am sure you are right, I can't imagine we would have "Tikka Masala" in English without some Indian input.

Lot of mix here too tongue Most of our tamilians can't realise whether a word is pure tamil word or not. Sanskrit has mixed a lot in other languages here. I think Avatar is such one word (tamils call it Avataram, but it's not a tamil word at all)

11. profile image51
    scion08posted 15 years ago

By the bible satan is a fallen angel jealous of humans, he is supossed evil but truly heaven and hell are either rewards or punishments to me and ranked satan I feel just continues to try and convince mankind that doing what isn't considered godly is ok, which living a perfect christian life is inpossible, i myself don't think Im going to either, theres more to this world than earth heaven and hell

12. Mark Knowles profile image58

True. I was thinking of changing my destination from Delhi to Astana in Kazakhstan - I  will see if what I think will happen happens. The US has 150,000 troops on the edge of Iran smile

1. profile image51
      scion08posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Are any of you truly in here about religeon or have any interest in it at all.... Im sorta desperate here

1. oxymoron profile image59
        oxymoronposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes the chat goes off topic here big_smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Sorry - why are you desperate? (Shutting up about off-topic stuff)

1. profile image51
          scion08posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Because I live in a very narrow minded catholic town, and I can not find anyone who has any guidance in the area of people who have the gift of healing and prophetic dreams. Do you understand what I am saying bluntly Im at witts end.

2. Paraglider profile image87
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Don't I know it - I'm just across the water from Iran, in Qatar. Khazakstan might be a better bet, for your pilgrimage. (But we're being nagged for not talking about religion here, so I'll shut up!)

13. Mark Knowles profile image58

Yes, I understand what you are saying. I can't imagine the catholic church (or any other organized religion) will be able to offer much help. Based on my own experiences in these things I suggest that you stop eating meat, eat a lot of root vegetables, and tie a tight sash around your waist at the level of your hips. Sitting on a large rock or with your back to an old tree may also help.

Fortunately, there are also lots of online resources to help you and I would think you could find something online. This may help:

http://www.thesecretsofyoga.com/Kundalini-Yoga.html

Or at least be a start. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)