Explain Why Religion Exists?

Jump to Last Post 51-90 of 90 discussions (265 posts)
  1. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Control, manipulating people.

all creatures want to belive in something bigger than themselves, they can't live without blind obedience.

They get mental security by believing in god. "Self Bias" examples of believers prove that and so do their sacrifices in the name of god.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Thank you for taking time to answer Skyfire. smile

3. kess profile image62
    kessposted 14 years ago

Yes Casgil, the self awareness which says I am, unlike any others before.

Or can you say that you the mind of Casgil have already existed?

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Individual self awareness is simple your sense of life. And, nothing more.

Have already existed? Makes no sense. My mind and body, didn't exist before I was born. smile

4. Cagsil profile image71

Hey Mark,

Is that how you see my writing as well? smile Just curious. big_smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Short answer - no. Unattainable goal? Possibly........ big_smile

But Kess is just regurgitating the same old same old. Introspection? I think not. Which is why he/she is having trouble grasping the idea that a look deep inside would not reveal a god.

Okay, just thought I would ask.

Unattainable goal? Which is what exactly? smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Full awareness and total control.

Fair enough. smile

5. kess profile image62
    kessposted 14 years ago

My consciousness was created  by the reproductivity of the human race and all it's glory.
    By Casgil,

Is it then fair to assume that your purpose then is to serve those who created you?

If that is not so, whom do you serve? And to what purpose?

My purpose is to serve others, because it builds my spirituality the way I want for my life.

Presently, I am still living at home, under one sole reason- to ensure that my mother doesn't suffer the rest of her life alone. As, she has also come to learn introspection of her life and self-realized that there is no god.

My main purpose in life is aid/help others learn more about their life and to provide wisdom, for which, helps people build a solid foundation for their own existence, instead of relying on fictional or imaginary entities. smile

1. kess profile image62
        kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Casgil thank you for your patience answering my guestions.
        It was surely enlightening.

We do have much in common, except that you have not had a revelation of God as I have.

If you are truthful, then I am sure that your lack of foresight will be short lived.

For God gives to each their fair portion and his children even more than they rightfully deserve.

I find your lack of understanding of life, to be interesting, even though you claim insight to a "GOD" of some form.

It's sad, that you claim I have a lack of foresight, in to my own life, when my level of clarity for life is higher than yours, which is obvious, because you claim to have found a "GOD" that doesn't exist.

Thru true introspection of your being, you would find no "GOD" is looking out for the human race and would be more inclined to accept full responsibility for your life, which is obvious that you haven't.

I do thank you for your time. But, I guess we will have to agree to disagree, until such time that you actually look inside yourself and find your sense of life to be real, which would ultimately lead to the answer of NO GOD. smile

6. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

To even ask what the purpose of religion is to assume that it has a purpose other than whatever we decide it to be.

To ask the question is to get other people's views and for no other reason.

You are assuming that religion doesn't have a purpose other than whatever we decide it to be.

Religion has a direct message to convey. How one interpretates the message is what creates separation among people.

1. Valerie F profile image60
        Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If religion's only purpose is whatever each individual determines it to be, it has no objective purpose.

You are assuming it has not another purpose. smile

7. profile image0
    Over The Hillposted 14 years ago

Cagsil, can you have a form of spirituality without a belief in some kind of god?

I do. smile

1. mohitmisra profile image59
        mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spirituality is about spirit also called god.

You can call it was you feel like. I don't see that way. smile

Its not my unique definition.What do you think spirit means?

I would have figured it would be easy for you to see that I use no mystical explanations to define myself or what I have learned. Being Human, as far as I am concerned isn't coming from "GOD" or any other place except myself, my thoughts, my actions and my morality for living life. smile

You want to say it's from "GOD" and I will disagree. smile

Exactly what I mean you know nothing yet claim to know everything. What do you think spirit means? an alcoholic  drink?

Again, you love twisting words and making yourself seem profound, when you add NOTHING to the conversation.

8. profile image0

Would you care to share with us what evidence you found within yourself that proves,at least for you, that there is no god?

True wisdom, not obtained by influences of others and an objective insight that which explains my sense of life. smile

Great wisdom comes from fusing with god .Meditation is not easy and requires intense concentration and effort.

I don't agree. Meditation is actually fairly simple for those strong of mind and will. The concentration level required is the clarity I live with everyday. You want to believe it's something else, you're welcome to, but please don't try to tell me I'm wrong, because I am clear in my understanding(wisdom gained), thru my introspective insight into my true self. smile

You have no idea what the self is.Meditation is what the wise practice and it is difficult as one needs to focus his entire energies on a point.Perfect concentration is required.

That's your opinion, which has no value. smile

9. dyonder profile image71
    dyonderposted 14 years ago

What purpose does religion serve?
    To explain the misunderstood (that which we could not, at that time, understand, but eventually will/or have)

How did religion first come about?
    Imagination (for some read spirit)

Where did the religion concept come from?
    See answer 2 and combine with beginning of societies

When did the religion concept begin?
    The first time two or more communicated

And, How come people are willing to sacrifice
    their own existence for something unknown?
    Passion tinged with honor (though for some, it's strictly selfish)

Obviously I am no expert. I've read many religious texts, experienced many, others may call them spiritual, events. However I am only one of billions and billions of pairs of eyes.

Interesting group this, http://www.ain23.com/topy.net/
    The Temple of Psychic Youth's been around for at least twenty years, and though I personally am not a follower, they have some interesting precepts on this very subect.

10. Cagsil profile image71

Thank you for your response dyonder. smile

11. Cagsil profile image71

Anyone else want to take a shot at it? big_smile

12. tutemaven profile image61
    tutemavenposted 14 years ago

OK I couldn't resist Cagsil this is for you.

Somewhere between 100,000 and 30,000 years ago strangers lived among us. It's pretty clear who built those many strange artifacts. We liked each other, they kept coming back to check up on us. They seeded us here after all. When they finally seemed to go away for good we wanted them to come back. So we emulated them and tried to make them interested enough to come back much like we did in WWII with the cargo cults.
    How did it? - see above
    Where did it? - all over the word
    When did it? - started about 30,000 years ago
    Why sacrifice - hey some of us just go nuts.

Hey I'd rather talk about the abandoned spaceship on the moon or our lost telepathic abilities.
    What! You never heard about those. Never mind, forget I said anything.

13. Cagsil profile image71

Thank you tutemaven. An interesting thought. smile hmm big_smile

14. profile image0

Cagsil, it appears you paint with broad strokes but they`re only limited to your field of vision.Where is the bar for (True Wisdom)?How can you claim to be objective?If you are objective then you can`t claim absolutes.correct.As in there is no god.

You can be objective and claim absolutes. So, you're incorrect. There are absolutes in life. If you are not aware of them, then you lack the wisdom to truly understand life.

My vision isn't limited. Even, with the knowledge of absolutes, because not everything in life is an absolute, just certain aspects. smile

15. Cagsil profile image71

Thank you Q smile

16. Cagsil profile image71

Who is next to try? smile big_smile

17. Cagsil profile image71

Hmmmmm..........? smile

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

G'Day Cagsil! smile

How are you Earnest? smile

I am great thank you! I hope I find you well and happy? smile

18. Cagsil profile image71

I am doing well. Thank you for asking. big_smile

What are you up to today or tonight? Whichever applies. lol

It is 9.15am, I have an easy day, a bit of adword campaign work for my daughter, a bit of work on my sites and a few skype chats with friends and family is about it. smile
      ... and yourself? smile

I am debating whether or not I want to work more on my hubs or work on the unpublished one or just take it easy.

I just ate and it isn't settling right. smile

I hope it settles for you Cagsil. It seems we both have a pretty good life! No getting up at 4 to milk the cows eh? lol

No getting up at 4 to milk the cows, because I have no cows, nor do I have any place to put a cow, even if I wanted to have one.

Now, I'm getting a headache. A compounding problem one after another. Eat, because hungry, feel bad after eating and now a sad headache. What next? lol lol

Real sorry to hear that. I'll send you a man hug OK? smile

19. Cagsil profile image71

I am good, just took something for it, hopefully it doesn't upset my stomach anymore than I already feel. lol lol lol

Thank you to the MAN hug. roll lol

20. Cagsil profile image71

Anyone else have a theory? smile

21. Cagsil profile image71

Anyone else? smile

22. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

in sociological sense, religion existed because there is a need for societies to have order and the ethics and values to come into place too

That answers the topic question, now what about the questions in the OP? smile

23. Cagsil profile image71

Thank you for answering Aquasilver. smile

24. Cagsil profile image71

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/32913

25. marcel285 profile image64
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

I think religion started with the bible, and from that, people interpretated the content of it in their own ways, as the bible is not the easiest context to understand.

Personally, what iv'e derived from the bible, iv'e decided.. Aliens: affirmative. Deamons and spirits: affirmative. Phsycic powers: Affirmative. A higher power: affirmative.

26. Cagsil profile image71

Thank you marcel. smile

27. marcel285 profile image64
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

No worries mate. smile

28. Cagsil profile image71

Hmmm.....? Anyone else?

29. tshirts profile image60
    tshirtsposted 14 years ago

Basically if we look arround we have the following reliegions very famous one.
    Christanity
    Islam
    Hinduism
    Budhism
    Fire worshiper
    Jews

and one more who never believes in any religion.

Chirstanity - They believe in God, That there is some one who is the creater of universe

Islam - Believe in the oneness of God who is creater of the universe.

Hinduism - Believes that there is some one who has created the universe.

Budhism - same belief that there is some one who has created the universe

Fire worshiper - Can't say exactly about them

Jews - Believes in God who has created the universe.

and about other one I have already mentioned who never believe in God.

Why to believe in God. If we see around the world, we came to know that every thing is operating in a system. Every thing is dependent. We can't have the productions from lands with out rain. Moon can't be lightened with out sun. There is no sun when its raining. Nothing is operating independently in every case. Every thing is dependent. And every thing in the universe is operating with in a system. Even being the human being we always talk about the system. We try to follow the system we have been established by our governments. Who has created the system of the universe which is not in undercontrol of human being. so the concept arises that there is some one who has created the universe.
    When religion evolved. From the first human being named Adam. Who was sent by God in sake of disobeying God to earth from heaven. All of us we know are the children of the Adam. Adam was first messenger of God to this earth. And last one was Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him).

The history tells us the whole story.

Is that the best you got? If so, then thank you for your input. smile

2. profile image48
      The Paulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hinduism - not so much.  There's a lot of myths involving gods creating each other during a reset the universe goes through in one of its endless cycles.  In an interesting reversal from Christianity, those myths often describe the universe as being orders of magnitude older than it really is.

Buddhism - not at all.  Because of god inflation there are probably Buddhists who hold Buddha to be the creator of the universe, but it's clearly an invention unconnected to their core practices and myths.

Hindus do believe in a creator and call him by various names like Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu, basically the divine light.

Buddhist- Buddha is also a state of god hood, like Christ consciousness of god consciousness. Buddha is both man and the name for god, a branch of Hinduism that does believe in a creator.

30. Cagsil profile image71

Either way, Mohitmisra. This conversation/debate is over. You want to add more posts, so you can make yourself sound even more profound, go right ahead. I will no longer bother with you, because you add nothing to my understanding of life.

I've already discerned the truth about life for myself and my role in it. Maybe you should try it sometime. smile

Enjoy!

Buddy my work is not ranked next to Bibles because I dont have any knowledge . Its only because I do have knowledge.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Didn't get the joke, can you expand please.

31. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Religions exist to excuse those who can't face their own humanity perhaps? smile

1. Unchained Grace profile image60
      Unchained Graceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Religions are manmade organizations of people. Supposedly focused on a given belief system. However, within each lies dissention from those who question or do not really understand why they are really there. The others quake in fear that their little party is being crashed by non-believers and ostracise or become sharply critical with those who question. Hence, the dissention and division.

32. shiva tattva profile image60
    shiva tattvaposted 14 years ago

Explain Why Religion Exists?

to know the answer , first understand what is dharma ? if you know that you will automatically get the answer.

1. profile image55
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What does Greg's room mate have to do with it?

33. gf899 profile image62
    gf899posted 14 years ago

I believe we seek the “known” from the “unknown”. That is to say, we seek human answers to things that are not human. We cannot fathom something with no beginning and no ending. How do you diagram something that occupies all time and space at once? If our true nature is neither living nor dead, then what is it?

We are here to escape the boredom of a timeless existence. Time does not go “on and on”. Time simply does not exist in our true being. How you deal with this boredom is entirely up to you. If you wish huge challenges, then that is what you will have. If you want to flush it down the toilet, then step back and push the handle.

There is no right or wrong answer to the mystery. Nothing can be proven. It has to be that way for this incredible thing called life on earth to function. Can you imagine working a fantastic, interesting, all-encompassing puzzle and looking at the answer ahead of time? Major letdown!  And you know how you feel when someone ruins a movie ending for you.

We have afforded ourselves the most amazing opportunity. Do with it as you wish. And that means you are free to accept my ramblings as “deep” or to pass them off as premature dementia. Oh yes, and my answer to all of those questions is, it doesn’t really matter.

34. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Maybe religions exist so that religionists have some way to say the other religionist is gonna die in hell, cos they believe in a different passage in the "good book"! lol

1. aguasilver profile image71
      aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whisperer....

35. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

How much time must one spend "hubbing" with Mohitmisra to realize he is not credible?
    He is but one of the innumerable, ludicrously primitive, "lesser evolved" of the human species.
    Then?...just ignore "it."

Why the abuse?
      Can you ever write a book and get ranked with Bibles?
      How can you call me ludicrously primitive, "lesser evolved" of the human species when I am able to do with my intelligence what you cannot with yours ?
      What are you in this case? a retarded human specie ?

1. aguasilver profile image71
        aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mo. you have to stop believing that selling an ebook for $1.50 ranks you with bible sales, the bible sells 40,000 copies PER DAY, so unless your ebook equals that, just stop trying to ride on the success of Gods word.

Are you making $60,000 per day?

36. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I think that religion with all of its faults is necessary to keep the memory of the origional church alive. And in so doing bringing some others to true faith. I'm not convinced as to who those people are but I "just know" there must be many of them out there..

37. Cagsil profile image71

Maybe you two should go to your neutral corner and wait for the next round, before continuing. lol lol lol lol lol

1. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol I don't think there was ever a fight. I think it was just him swinging and then throwing in a towel right afterwards.

1. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cags:
        Naw, I'm just being a nice guy and "fair" to boot.
        It's finished..:-)

38. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Hahaha: I provided, exactly, what you asked for: 1 reason..:-)

39. Happyontheinside profile image71
    Happyontheinsideposted 14 years ago

Hey folks, not here to argue with anyone merely to give my opinion.

I am a spiritualist - not to categorise it but it's the only religious grouping that has ever come close to describing some of the things I believe in. Light, nature truth and balance. What purpose does this serve?

Well it keeps me out of the 'dark' as it were, it reminds me not to be a bad person. The place of worship offers a neutral breathing space where all are brothers and sisters and all are harmonius. It's a quiet place in the midst of mayhem where you find a connection with others that reassures you that you are not alone on the planet. As for faith in other ways and what purpose it serves - it provides people with unity; the belief that even if the world is imperfect there is hope - that no matter if life is truly pointless or not there is some sort of reward for playing the game well on the other side.

Yes; I think that some governments have been known to use it to cause wars or inspire fear in the population; but when it comes to actual personal belief in something - fine. If my relatives are comforted by the knowledge that when I die I will still be happy then let them - who is anyone to deny them that? I certainly wouldn't. Faith (in whatever form) inspires, bonds, helps others and makes our lives purposeful. So bring it on; and don't resent anyone else for what they believe - their religion is as much of a comfort to them as your own is to you.

As for where it started...I don't know exactly, and it's a debate that's likely to make folk argue so I'm going to step out at this point :p Stay happy everyone.

Very well said. I agree with you.

40. Cagsil profile image71

Just curious Qwark?

Are you disagreeing with Marine's original post to the forum or just his last statement?

I'm just curious? big_smile

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

CAgs:
      He offered a list of reasons ref. why religion exists.
      I simply responded taht I agreed with none of his reasons and won't say why...simple as that...:-)

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)