Wild Mustangs

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (20 posts)
  1. D i x i e profile image61
    D i x i eposted 14 years ago

I have had the recent joy of finding a few larger bands of wild mustangs up in the mountains near where i live and I have gotten some really great pictures of them Just kind of looking about and seeing if anyone else is interested in the Wild horses in Nevada and all the controversy over them.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i love horses, do you have a hub of them??

2. Actioncameron profile image59
      Actioncameronposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We've been following the fate of those Mustangs. Tear your heart out...but there are a few good people hard at work to be sure the culling of them is done humanely with an interest to perpetuate a sustainable herd.
      At the same time there seems to be a heartless group equally busy with their nasty methods like using helicopters to run them in certain directions. It's so upsetting and just makes you feel powerless to see what is happening there.

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi D i x i e

i would be intterested in seeing them, as well as reading about them. just the thought of those beautiful wild horses running free is wonderful. it breaks my heart that Man thinks every animal must be corraled in some way ;_;

i'm sure there are still some cowboys left somewhere who could round them up, if they must be rounded up, instead of them using helicopters. that must terrify them sad

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Thats very cool! I saw a good size heard in southern Wyoming a few years ago and they were beautiful!smile

3. Actioncameron profile image59
    Actioncameronposted 14 years ago

Sure do! We have 12 at present and expecting two new babies sometime early spring. We are head over heels crazy about our horses. My 14 year old daughter is an exceptional rider and horse handler and Ward has near 60 years experience and so we have alot to share if you have any questions. Love your handle prettydarkhorse. Thanks for your question.

4. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 14 years ago

I've been fascinated with Mustangs my entire life, and grew up watching a herd in Northern Wyoming. My last horse was a pride-cut gelding out of one of the McCullough Peaks herds, and when I get properly set up I'd love to be able to adopt Mustangs and put some of my training expertise to work in making sure they get homes well-suited to them. From everything I've read, the Wyoming Mustangs seem to be doing much better than the Nevada herds, but that could just be because we have smaller herds or because all of the information doesn't get to the media.

5. horsecrazyheidi profile image60
    horsecrazyheidiposted 14 years ago

That is so neat I love horses and own 12 myself and I would give anything to see wild horses in the wild

6. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

That was what Wild Horse Annie did many decades ago. She got mad at the inhumane treatment of mustangs. Went on a rampage and got a law passed to make it illegal to round em up in inhumane ways.

1. mkott profile image66
      mkottposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The BLM uses helicopters which for many of us that is inhumane.  I have witnessed a roundup and it was not a pleasant experience.

7. flread45 profile image58
    flread45posted 14 years ago

I have caught wild horses and broke them back in the 50s when it was legal to do so.
    some are good and some are not so good.
    Try Jackpot Nevada area on the Salmon river cattle company,you will see many there.

8. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

Some of my favourite books growing up were the "Silver Brumby" series by Elyne Mitchell, based on wild horses in Australia. In the books the horses could speak to each other, and I just adored these books, based on the life of "Thowra" a pale Brumby Stallion and his rise to leader of his own herd. The books were essential reading for any horse lover, and I even wrote to Elyne Mitchell as a fan, and she actually sent me a handwritten reply, which was lovely.

I guess now I can never accept culling horses (or any other animals) in the name of them interfering with human habitats. There are usually too many of us, and not enough of them as a result. We just need to "breed" less as humans and learn to share the available land in an equal manner.

9. profile image0
    rocknrodeogirlposted 14 years ago

I live near the BLM land and there is actually a "wild horse trap" that someone showed me while we were riding one afternoon. It's crazy to imagine how it was used...and it was so rocky around there I could barely even ride my mare by it. It's really a sad deal that they are wanting to get rid of them. sad

10. OneGypsyTraveler profile image61
    OneGypsyTravelerposted 14 years ago

I have been working with Mustangs only since last year. They are amazing when you use natural horsemanship methods on them they respond so, so  fast.
    The place that I keep my horse during the winter has started a horse program with the kids that come there weekly. They just got 36 Mustangs delivered yesterday  for The Youth and Yearling Mustang Challenge that the Mustang Heritage Foundation puts on now days. I was privileged to be able to watch last years competition and this year I will be helping the kids work their horses and get them ready for this springs, challenge. It will be in about 100 days. Some of the mustangs that were delivered are for other local residents that got them for their kids to compete. The semi only deliveres to one place and then you have to go and pick yours up. They are disbursed by chance, you are not allowed to "pick" your horse out. It's a good way to rehome some of the wild ones and make sure that they have a decent chance in life.
    Thanks and happy reading
    Sue

11. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

During a visit to Vegas in the early 90's, we were riding around out in the desert and at twilight came upon a herd of mustangs. They just seemed to appear in that waning light and it was one magical moment.

12. mkott profile image66
    mkottposted 14 years ago

I have lived in the Reno area and still have family there.  I will soon move back.  Love the wild horses of Nevada and believe they need to be left alone.  That includes the BLM rounding them up.  Which many Nevadans believe they are sold for their meat since they get more money than if they were to adopt them out.

13. DonnaCSmith profile image82
    DonnaCSmithposted 14 years ago

We have wild horses on the coast of North Carolina (I have a few hubs about them) I feel like we are doing a pretty good job of protecting and managing them, but it is a struggle. I don't know how much longer the horses can free-range with the rate of development on our coast.

14. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

i love horses especially wild ones. just to watch them is pure poetry. i live in a state that doesn't have any wild ones. i do watch the segments about them on animal planet and the discovery channel. i would do anything for them. it's just i'm not sure what i can do. being so far away from them makes it hard to really get involved and help. i hate the ifea of people capturing them or taking away their land. i'm just curious how i might help. is there anything at all i can do? i don't have any money to spare so travel is out of the question. how do we help those beautiful animals?

1. DonnaCSmith profile image82
      DonnaCSmithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Lecie,

Here is a link to the Corolla Wild Horse website's page on how you can help:

http://www.corollawildhorses.com/help.html

I am sure a Google search will bring up organizations for the wild horses in the western states.

15. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

thanks for the info. take care.
    lecie

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)