Teixeira, Harden, Sabathia...

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (15 posts)
  1. elisabeth reid profile image65
    elisabeth reidposted 15 years ago

...all done deals.  Is Manny next?  I was hearing Bonds' name a week or two ago (albeit, mostly to deny rumored consideration) but I haven't heard anything lately.  I heard Maddux mentioned today but that's unlikely since he has to approve of any trade and he doesn't want to move his family again so the only team he'll even consider is the Dodgers.

Thursday, 4 p.m. eastern.  Who's going where?

2. Bruce Bostwick profile image70
    Bruce Bostwickposted 15 years ago

I'm thinking Manny stays in Boston.  Great hitter, terrible on defense.  I remember him in Cleveland very well.  No doubt he's got a great hitter and can give you Home Runs.  Manny is Manny.

The one move I think I could see possibly would be Paul Byrd going to another team.  Not sure who though honestly.  I've heard about him being possibly talked about with being traded to a team.  Whoever they trade him to if that happens should hopefully get another starter.  The Indians really need to do some construction this off-season.

I saw that the Yankees got Pudge Rodriguez.  Sucks for Tigers fans 'cause they're in the middle of a race though most likely it'll come down in the Central between the White Sox and the Twins.

3. elisabeth reid profile image65

Yankees got Pudge but Detroit got Farnsworth out of it and Farns can be a great setup man.  I overheard something just a few minutes ago and, if I heard right, Latroy Hawkins got traded (I don't know to whom or for whom) and I feel badly for the team that got him.  I like him...he's a good guy who doesn't take himself too seriously and knows how to have fun...but on the mound he's, I dunno...lacking.

Rumors are still swirling when it comes to Manny -- I'm hearing to the Marlins for three prospects and that Boston will carry a chunk of his salary.  Manny swings some good wood but he just ain't hustling.  Nearly 6 seconds from the batter's box to first?  Hell, I could run it faster and I'm 47 years old, smoke and I'm out of shape.  Of course it would take me the rest of the inning to recover but I'd get there in less than 6 seconds.

On edit: I just found out that the Yankees traded Hawkins to Houston for a prospect out of A-ball -- Matt Cusick.

4. Bruce Bostwick profile image70

I heard the same thing but I'm more on the line of I'll believe it when I see it.  Until it happens, I just gotta wait.  Manny should probably be a DH more than an outfielder mainly because his biggest strength is in his offense while his weakness is his defense.  I guess we shall see what we shall see.

5. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

The Mets have been strangely quiet.

We are hearing that want Matt Holliday but are more likely to pick up Raul Ibanez

The Yankees screwed us again b/c I know the Mets wanted Nady back badly. 

THIS JUST IN:
    Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com writes, as of 1:30 pm, “The Manny Ramirez trade was ‘dead,’ according to an executive with one of the three teams involved in the discussions.”

In a post to ESPN.com at 1 pm, Peter Gammons wrote, “A source close to the three-way negotiations involving Ramirez says the deal is close to dead,” because the deal would essentially come down to the Red Sox trading Ramirez, $9 million and two prospects for Jason Bay.

…from what i can gather, this is all about money…buzz from Boston and Miami continue to suggest that the Pirates are confortable with the prospects coming back in return, however it’s the Marlins who are not confortable with the amount of money they will be getting from the Red Sox, while renting ramirez and giving up on so much young talent…

6. DJ Funktual profile image76

According to MLB.com, Reds OF Ken Griffey Jr. has accepted a trade to the White Sox.

Jon Heyman, at SI.com, says the Reds will recieve pitcher Nick Masset and minor league infielder Danny Richar.

…Update…8:15 am…

The White Sox have completed a trade that will allow them to acquire Griffey from the Reds, according to Ken Rosnthal at FoxSports.com.

Griffey is batting .245 this season with a .355 OBP, 15 HR and 53 RBI in 359 at-bats

7. Bruce Bostwick profile image70

This could work out for Griffey.  Probably for him, he could be a DH most likely as he can keep himself healthy and not have to worry about straining him hamstring.  He wants to win a championship and we shall see if it happens.

8. elisabeth reid profile image65

Manny to the Dodgers?  That seemed to come out of the blue (well...more like into the blue, I guess).  First I'm hearing that the Manny/Marlins deal is all but dead in the water and then, out of nowhere -- Dodgers is a done deal.

Wow.  I never in a million years expected that although 1. Jones just hasn't delivered what the Dodgers were hoping he would and they need a slugger, and 2. Manny's a name that will put butts in the seats out in Chavez.

Hmmmm.

Holliday apparently came off the table when the Rockies heated up after the break.  Fuentes was a possibility but apparently nothing of worth came through.

9. DJ Funktual profile image76

Yup, and everyone's saying that the Mariners blew a chance to rebuild when they really really should.   Apparently the GM won't admit that he's screwed. 

Thought the D-Backs were gonna trade Chad Tracy for Teixeira.
    Thought the Phillies or Marlins were gonna get Manny.  Whew!

10. Bruce Bostwick profile image70

I don't hear much about the trade block too much.  The Marlins were the only team I heard but the Phillies I didn't hear anything about them pursuing Manny in the first place.

The Angels may be one of the toughest teams to beat in this whole ordeal.

1. DJ Funktual profile image76
      DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

and the Yankees!

11. elisabeth reid profile image65

The Yankees are trying...but they aren't gonna match the Angels this year.  Unless there's a massive meltdown along the way, I see the Angels taking the ALCS pretty easily.  I see the Rays taking the east, the White Sox in the central and then the Angels coming along and taking the whole shebang.

But...that's the thing about baseball.  Anything can happen at any point along the road.   We won't know for sure until October.

12. DJ Funktual profile image76

it's true.  If I said the Rockies were going back to the show again, you'd have to at least concede that it's possible.

Go Mets!

13. elisabeth reid profile image65

At this point, anything's possible.  Hell, the NL West is still up for grabs -- just about any lead can change hands.  Even my Cubbies...nah.  Nemmind.  We aren't gonna go there.

wink

14. Bruce Bostwick profile image70

The NL West is the one division that it is wide open and anyone could come in and steal it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)