My lens on Squidoo

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Not sure it's the right place to brag about that, but one of my lenses is currently #60 on Squidoo Top100 list! big_smile
    http://www.squidoo.com/browse/top_lenses

1. seohowto profile image59
      seohowtoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

well done, Misha! I think your hubpages profile went to the higher rank too, did it?

2. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Great stuff, I often get into the top 100 of the sub categories over at squidoo, such as arts and literature and seo and affiliate marketing, but getting into the top 100 lenses overall is quite good to achieve, well done!!

3. profile image0
      RUTHIE17posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Just came from Squidoo and you're Ranked #9 in How-To, #54 overall.  So you've climbed!

Congratulations!!  smile

4. robie2 profile image79
      robie2posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Congrats Misha--good work smile

2. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 15 years ago

Way to go!

Currently my best performing lens is at #80. Though it was at #1 for a nice run a couple of months back.

3. profile image0
    tdruskposted 15 years ago

53 now buddy.

4. Squimpleton profile image87
    Squimpletonposted 15 years ago

I'm sorry but I'm kind of disgusted that a person with only 3 lenses is in the top 100. I know you're a good marketer , which obviously helps you, but I can't help and be disgusted. Considering that some of my lenses took days to write, I can't help but feel this way. sad

1. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's never been an issue of the quantity of lenses a person has, but the quality of the individual lens.

2. robie2 profile image79
      robie2posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Don't feel disgusted, Squimpleton. Writing for the internet is a business and traffic is the name of  the game. To get traffic you need to write on topics people are interested in and your hubs and lenses need to be well optimized so that searchers can find them. Your creativity as a writer is not on the line here. You write very well.  It's just that Misha's SEO skills are just as important as your writing skills in the eyes of Squidoo and Hubpages. It's all about traffic.

May I suggest that you do a llittle SEO on those 20 lenses of yours or hire someone who has the skills( which are considerable) to do it,  Just a thought.......I don't belong to squidoo and don't really know how it works,but assume that it is something like hubpages.  Anyway, crying in your beer won't help smile

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Thanks guys! smile

Lena, I don't think so - it has been PR4 for quite some time already smile And I'm yet to see PR5 profile on HP.

Squimpleton, not sure what your problem is. Probably lack of identity. Are you Tiffany Dow?

6. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Misha - Your ESL becomes less of an issue every time you say something big_smile

7. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL Thanks Mark, I'm trying to do my best big_smile

8. Veronica profile image68
    Veronicaposted 15 years ago

Congratulations, Misha. 53 when I looked. I would have left a congrats there, but I'm not a member. Way to go!

9. Squimpleton profile image87
    Squimpletonposted 15 years ago

I just love how many people can reply to a post without ever truly reading it. I've noticed a lot of you do that on the forums, and it always seems to be the same people too.

"I'm sorry but I'm kind of disgusted that a person with only 3 lenses is in the top 100. I know you're a good marketer , which obviously helps you, but I can't help and be disgusted. Considering that some of my lenses took days to write, I can't help but feel this way."

I notice some of you might have thought I was out to insult Misha and/or his lens. I was not, I was simply expressing a feeling - and even though you may think you can say a feeling is wrong, you can't. A feeling is a feeling and it can't be helped. Besides if I wanted to bash Misha, I'd pick something more substantial than a lensrank.

Nowhere in there did I say that his lens lacked substance or anything. I was simply stating that it is disgusting (or do you prefer disheartening) when there are people I know who have 20-30 quality lenses, some arguably just as good as Misha's , that will never see the top 1000 let alone the top 100 simply because they are not as good marketers.

@Misha. "lack of identity". I didn't insult you, so please don't insult me. And no I'm not Tiffany Dow. Even if I were, why would it matter? Would you use that information to purposely rate down my lenses/hubs? That just screams maturity *sarcasm*. I don't rate down lenses/hubs of people I don't like, and will never understand those who do that. Actually I liked the lens and gave it a 5*. But I still reserve the right to feel how I feel.

@darkside. Yes Quality vs Quantity is a battle. However I'm talking about Quality vs Quality+Quantity and that's a very different battle.

1. Whitney05 profile image85
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure where this little rant came from about Misha downrating your lenses and hubs because he doesn't like you. Or at least that's what it seemed you were saying. I mean no one even mentioned anything about downrating a hub/lens. This must have happened to you.

Either way congrats Misha. I have a good handful of lenses on Squidoo, some are high quality, and others (I'll freely admit) aren't. But with the quality ones, I don't fuss with scores. I mean what other people do to get the top 1,000, 100, or even top 10 is their business, and just because one person has 5 and you have 200 (or whatever it is), what another person does to score higher than you, shouldn't make you sore, much less disgusted.

And, quality is in the eye of the beholder... What one person think is good quality, another may not. Just a side note...

2. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There are certain types of people no matter how quality there stuff is, they lack no grasp of marketing to further their efforts...a link here and a link there might not do the trick, but having a few contacts here and there might, quality over quantity does not apply here, it's all about what you know and what you can apply to this online medium to add to your qualities.

3. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You may feel any way you want, but trying to spoil the party by posting a post like yours is highly impolite and therefore insulting. I know another person with similar difficulties in ethics area, who happens to be highly active on Squidoo, like you said you are - that's why I made a guess you might be her. And you definitely lack an identity - no real picture and no name provide just that smile

4. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I read your post, and tried to understand what you were saying. You must admit, disgusted is a strong word. And whether you feel disheartened or disgusted or even disillusioned my reply is correct.

Perceived Quality + Quantity (because lets be honest, beauty is in the eye of the beholder) is still a level playing field when there are so many 'competitors'.

Misha would be at an advantage anyway, because he's deliberately chosen to deal with a smaller stable of lenses and commit more time to promoting them.

Where I may spend 90% of my time writing content and 10% promoting it, he's more like 10% writing it and 90% promoting it (though its probably 1% writing it and 99% promoting it. smile)

This would likely result in inferior quality IF he were mass producing lenses. But he's not.

What it means is he's likely to have spent as much time on the one lens as I have on any of mine, and then spent 10 times more time promoting it.

You're entitled to your feelings. It's just unfortunate that they would be disheartened, disgusted, disillusioned or disgruntled when someone reports their personal best.

10. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Squimpleton -

You have to admit that was a witty rejoinder smile

And you did use the word "disgusted" which is pretty harsh. I sort of feel the same way although I am not sure I would use the word disgusted. - Misha has 7 hubs and I have 146. We have been here for about the same time - yet we have almost exactly the same page views - just over 300,000.

Misha openly admits that he doesn't even write his own stuff and will only pay as little as possible for the writing. (One of the few areas we disagree on) but - this is testament to his promotional skills. Me - I prefer to write good quality, well researched content and not spend so much time on promotional stuff.

I constantly struggle with whether I should be doing that or be out leaving links. Horses for courses. And the whole internet is like this - not just hubpages and squidoo. I find it very frustrating that some of my blogs are up against large corporations that spend a fortune on a domain name and buying links rather than offering good content. But I have had to suck it up. As will you smile

11. funride profile image68
    funrideposted 15 years ago

WOW, 39 right now yikes. Congratulations Misha wink.

edit: You even got a comment from the brokegerman big_smile.

12. crashcromwell profile image66
    crashcromwellposted 15 years ago

Whether Misha attained his high ranking on hubpages and squidoo because he is an excellent marketer, a great writer or both is immaterial to me. He has skills to get it done, and I, for one, applaud him (even if I envy his skills and hope to have a few of them myself when I grow up!)

13. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Thanks for your support, guys! smile

1. topstuff profile image61
      topstuffposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Okay

14. Listessa profile image81
    Listessaposted 15 years ago

Hey good work, nothing wrong with squidoo too!

15. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Hey, I'm #17 now!!!
    Wooo-hooo!!! big_smile

1. jyuva profile image58
      jyuvaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations!!! By this weekend may be at #1 big_smile

1. Janet21 profile image81
        Janet21posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not if I can help it!  I like my #1 position. wink

By the way, congrats Misha

16. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Thanks guys!

Janet,

I bow to you smile
    Just a kind of curiosity - how much traffic does it take to get to the first place currently, if you don't mind? Mine shows 7750 visits for the last seven days...

No need to bow. smile

Traffic is not the only factor in calculating lensrank or else you would be kicking my a$$!  Traffic on my current lenses in the Top 100:  #1 lens 1,500/weekly visitors, #18 lens 700/weekly visitors and #86 lens 600/weekly visitors.

17. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

For some reason I thought it was pretty much based on traffic. Good, now I know a bit more, thanks a lot Janet! smile

Glad to help. smile

18. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 15 years ago

I wonder if this forum thread helped to boost your lens up slightly too, I am just interested in all these seperate factors that go into marketing hubs, lenses and anything else, cheers all!

19. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Good question Wayne!

Well, I went and checked - HP is not even in the list of referrers for the last week - but received 500+ clickouts big_smile

20. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 15 years ago

hey, congrats Misha!

smile

21. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Great job, Misha.  Don't listen to the naysayers, you're a freakin' genius.

Teach me, oh wise one!!

22. jim10 profile image65
    jim10posted 15 years ago

Congrats Misha,

I tried making a few lenses but seemed to do so much better here with less effort than at Squidoo. It just seemed harder to become part of the community there. Well I will try and try again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)