Reasons for leaving HubPages

Jump to Last Post 1-40 of 40 discussions (126 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 14 years ago

I have spent quite a bit of time lately reading through various forums where the imminent departure of one Hubber or another was being discussed. Many people have been leaving recently, it seems, including several prominent ones. But why? Oftentimes, these discussions imply a lot of insider knowledge, which as a newcomer I simply do not have.

It would be particularly helpful to understand the most common reasons for people leaving HubPages. Any ideas on how to address such problems in the future are also welcome.

1. ShivParvathi profile image61
      ShivParvathiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is it, people leaving HP?

I didn't know, new here and looking forward for a happy stay.
      Lets see any valid reasons, if there is!

2. falcon64 profile image60
      falcon64posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It might be they leaved HP for good. I am here because I have a reason.

3. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

People have left hubpages due to family/jobs
      and with regards to bans you had in question. Hubpages has implemented rules and all of them are listed in the help section of hubpages. Sometimes people do not take the time to read the rules of the forums and quite a few times the people who are no longer here have been warned multiple times about there behavior. They first ban normally is 3 days, they monitor them on the forums, if they again do not act in a professional manner then the ban is for 30 days. By the third time bullying, badgering, harassing another hubber is an indefinite ban from hubpages altogether.

The team at HubPages works hard to make this place a very positive and comfortable environment for writers unlike some other sites on the Internet. I have been on other sites and have seen some of those forums, there is nobody to monitor or address an issue when needed. Here at on HubPages they are attentive, they listen and respond in a timely manner. If you are looking for a great community of writers you have found it right here at HubPages.

Often the writers who have left due to family/jobs normally come back either as themselves or under another profile name. smile

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks AEvans, I am getting to the point of being comfortable with that whoever has left usually did it for their own good reasons. It has been a bit confusing, as a newcomer, to get accustomed to seeing certain faces, only to find that suddenly they're gone. Hopefully, this will not happen very often.

1. AEvans profile image71
          AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't sometimes they have multi-personalities on here too. Once you figure all of them out then you will also be more comfortable then you are now. smile

1. profile image0

Probably, although I'll miss the avatars and may never get around to reading any of their old hubs.

4. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are many who claim they have left, but I'm sure they are simply not taking part in the forums of HubPages anymore.

It would be simply foolish, if you have 100 Hub and a 1000 fans/followers reading your work, to simply up and leave.

I'm pretty sure it was well-planned in advance about telling everyone they are leaving HubPages and simply open another account and transfer Hubs from one account to another. This is a long process but can be done.

The only thing they have to do is stay away from the forums, so as to not be noticed. There thousand, upon thousands of hubbers who are not taking part in the forums. Because, they don't feel the need to, but do like HubPages platform for writing. Why someone would leave simply because they don't like the forums or some of the people in them, is absurd, but in the end a choice.

Just a thought?

Btw- as Eaglekiwi said - Welcome to HubPages. smile

1. profile image0

Thanks Cagsil, what you are saying makes a lot of sense. Although I'd imagine it would cause some technical issues with new URLs, search engines etc.

5. TerryGl profile image56
      TerryGlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good question and possibly one of the smartest ever asked in the forum. I joined three years ago, stayed for two and left for about 6 months before returning. Been here now for 8 months.

When I first joined I came across the hubbers who had about one month longer on hubpages then me. There was no one else above them because they had all left as well, or maybe one or two lingered on to form the hubpage slammers club.

This is the elite self appointed group who bandy up together to attack, berate and ridicule anyone that steps outside their circle of accepted behaviour. Their behaviour or modus operandi is a consistent and constant attack before the poor sole they are attacking gives up and leaves.

My idea on how to address this problem is not to venture into this forum. Do not make a comment nor post any new thread. Sit back and become the quiet achiever by sticking up your fifty plus hubs, suck up all that Google cash and make lots of affiliate sales.

If you wander off that track and make a slip here in the forums, then all the slammers will come out salivating and emailing each other at the thought they can destroy and cut down to size another poor newbie sole on the forum.

My answer to them is the old two finger salute. The problem too and the truth of the matter is, those slammers will know exactly who I am talking about and you can probably name a few of them too.

If you do stumble down their road here in the forum, watch your hubscore and hubpages score drop when they each systematically go about rating your hubs down and flag you.

2. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Website Examiner - HP is a little like a workspace for many. People leave, people move on and/or find something better and they venture away from the site. Some simply don't like how their 'workspace' is managed, others fall foul of the rules (there's always rules, right?!) and so on.

The forum is the place for fun, asking for help, debating (heatedly or otherwise), knocking out some time-wasting and general hanging out.

You have to factor in how many join and stay, not just how many leave. And I'm not sure about insider knowledge. Perhaps some really do have it but I suspect for most of us - it's all conjecture, smoke and mirrors stuff smile

HP is a great platform for learning how to write, what to write, when to write, how to reach your target audience and as such, many of us have learned some valuable lessons. I know I have.

I'm not leaving so I can't give you a definitive as to why others have. You'd have to try and track them down to ask them. All we that remain can do is offer our opinions. And you know what happens when folks start presuming wink

1. profile image0

Thanks, frogdropping. I wouldn't be leaving with that kind of hubscore, either, although of course one says it is better to quit while you're ahead...

1. frogdropping profile image76
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The number on my avatar doesn't keep me here. Rest assured there's folks with a lesser score that have greater success than I do. And ... are you encouraging me to hop off Website Examiner? wink

1. profile image0

Oh no, please don't jump to any conclusions.

I was jesting smile

3. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

WE, i was lurker here before i joined HP. I have found these reasons people preferred to leave HP:-

- Real life issues/jobs
    - Bans
    - Not sufficient earnings

and list goes on...

1. profile image0

Thanks skyfire, the other reasons I do understand, but bans? I guess these don't just happen out of the blue. Is getting banned not typically the final result of some frustration, maybe the ban even comes after having been warned?

1. skyfire profile image81
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure, some bans are from taking advantage of freedom of speech and to some extent i agree with it. But there are some cases where it was not right, so that is one trigger for frustration.

4. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

ive thought about it esp when i was banned from forum for self promotion even tho i didnt post a link to any of my hubs. word count warnings also really make me mad. i joined hubs thinking this was a creative writeing site. not to make money by writeing how to hubs and hocking adds which i have no control in approveing. for example .one of my early hubs called you spell tomato i spell tamoto.i was insulted to see that the adds placed on it were all basicly pokeing fun at my hubs content. lastly the total lack of support from hubpages to promote my work.

1. profile image0

aware, I can see you have plenty to be frustrated about. It is my understanding that you can get rid of the ads altogether if you go in and categorize your hubs as being non-commercial. Spelling, well there must be some solution to that.

2. skyfire profile image81

I don't know about the others. I'll take a look at your hubs. Typos and some words here and there hardly matters for me,what i want is your idea in hubs. Trust me i have been to those poetic hubs who boss arround here about their poetry and gives no thought in their hub, so it's not that you lack anywhere if you're with typos. You can improve it's the idea that needs to be in hub.

3. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What sort of promotional support were you expecting from HubPages?

5. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

hello is also spelled hola, aloha,and so on. lol

6. frogdropping profile image76

Had to laugh Website Examnier - no more smilies. At least not in this post ...

7. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

I don't see this forum and making hubs as one. In fact if you really are here to make lots of hubs your not going to spend much time on forums.

Same goes for the dozens of other places to write articles. I write on many and never go to the forums on those. Forums tend to waste lots of your time.

1. Zizish profile image57
      Zizishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A truer word was never spoken.

8. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

if i had a cure for cancer .and wrote it down in a way anyone could read and understand.but every word in it was spelled incorrectly.and lacking in punctuation. would you still say to me .nice cure but you gota work on your spelling or no ones going to take you seriously?

1. profile image0

Not taking you seriously is maybe putting it a bit too strong. But any writer has to live with the fact that spelling and grammar is a really big deal for many readers. Some are too picky, but numerous errors makes reading more difficult and can be a distraction. We have to remember that our reader does not know in advance what we are trying to say.

2. skyfire profile image81

Well let me tell you that, person who lacks in typos will never write about cancer cure big_smile .

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, because I wouldn't believe an uneducated moron, and that's the way it would look.  Image counts in this world, like it or not. Be as creative as you like, but write in a word processing program like Word, where you can run a spell checker, before you publish.  It's not too hard, is it?

And by the way, the ads are not placed by a human being or anyone on HubPages - they're placed by Google robots.

4. Lily Rose profile image86
      Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just completed breast cancer treatment.  No, if you wrote about a cure for cancer and your spelling and punctuation was all wrong I would absolutely NOT take you seriously. 

I think anyone that likes to write should take pride in what they do and that means respecting the rules - proper grammar and punctuation is what you need to garner respect from readers, in addition to content.  I actually just recently wrote a hub about common grammar and punctuation mistakes; maybe you should give it a read, Aware.

9. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

do you write about stuff other than disney land.

10. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

no i understand.i get it. why is there no proofreader service here on hubs? or is there?

1. profile image0

Not officially, probably. Go ahead and contact me if you want your hubs proofread.

1. aware profile image67
        awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

really? youd do that for me? that's cool as heck.i might do that

11. profile image57
    Siew Chengposted 14 years ago

Maybe they need time for other interests.  Most hubbers will eventually return to Hubpages.

12. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

I don't think there is any proof reader on hub. I have found whitesmoke a better proof reader for writers who wants it.

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

These forums is the most intelligent place for grown ups to hang out I am aware of. Most of the people who left are either not grown ups, or not intelligent - aside from personal reasons of course. smile

1. profile image0

Misha, I understand the forums can be a rough environment at times, but most people probably know what they're getting themselves into. I have been thinking whether there ought to be forums with a higher tolerance level compared with others...

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Umm, they are, compared to many others. Are you implying that people leave because of intolerance? They have to grow up then. smile

1. profile image0

Actually, what I meant by a higher tolerance level is that maybe some forums should permit freer speech compared with mainstream forums. Meaning that those who venture into such forums would be doing so at their own risk, knowing that no one will be banned for rough language and such.

1. tantrum profile image60
            tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It should be. some people here are grown ups who will take whatever. I'm one.

1. Misha profile image63

I think this proposal has been made more than once, and got a definite "no" from HP owners. They have business reasons for that. Why don't we as grown ups just accept it and move on? wink

2. William R. Wilson profile image60
      William R. Wilsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Heh.  Hehe.  Heheheh. 

LOL!

Sorry.

1. Misha profile image63

It is certainly not for you William, I agree smile

1. William R. Wilson profile image60

Thank you for making my point for me Misha.

1. Misha profile image63

You are always welcome William, just ask smile

14. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

well hubs not haveing one adds another reason for changing venues. i prefer to stay put a wine alot lol

15. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

People leave HP because they get bored for different reasons.
    So the first reason is Boredom.
    Why they get bored ?
    I'm not going to say, as I don't want to get into an argument right now.
    But I'm getting bored myself. A lot.

16. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

People leave HP for a number of reasons, most have already been brought up like money and personal issues. Some have left because they think standards have dropped or because there work is better represented else where. I don't know of many people that have left, I for one really like it here but again alot of my thoughts are just speculation and come from what I have read on the forum.

1. profile image0

Thanks wrenfrost, whether or not standards are dropping is very difficult to estimate for someone who hasn't been here for a long time. Wonder whether they have been dropping or not...

1. wrenfrost56 profile image57
        wrenfrost56posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess it depends on how they gage standards and what they beleive HP is about. Personally I come accross many new writers on here and their work just blows me away. Similarly there are some amazing poets and fiction writers on this site as well as great factual article writers. I find HP works fine for me and actually I think the general standered and the HP format is really good. smile

1. profile image0

That is very reassuring to hear.

17. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Nobody leaves they just become someone else.

1. profile image0

That's an intriguing point!

18. jellydonut25 profile image59
    jellydonut25posted 14 years ago

It's likely a combination of factors:

HP has an extremely eclectic grouping of writers and interests and one person may run afoul of a hub, completely disagree with it and think, "I can do better." Then they sit down, and write a few hubs and get easily and quickly discouraged when they aren't generating traffic and revenue quickly.

Becoming successful on HP is going to take TIME and not everyone wants to invest that time to create good, quality hubs that keep generating revenue.

Other people might have something better that comes along.

Still others might just have a change in interests or lifestyles and though they are sad to leave HP behind, it's a necessary step for their growth as a person...

then you have the rule-flaunting clowns

1. profile image0

Thanks jellydonut, that all makes perfect sense. As far as "rule-flaunting clowns," though, isn't that kind of self-destructive? Why would anybody coming here to succeed want to break the rules more or less deliberately?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

I've wondered that myself.  However, recently there has been a trend for people to join HubPages primarily to take part in the community (i.e. the forums) and write Hubs almost as a sideline. 

Often they're colourful personalities, get into raging arguments in the forums, and get banned.  They do get warnings (the lowest-level ban is only 3 days) so yes, I do think they are self-destructive.  If they eventually get a lifetime forum ban, they delete all their Hubs as well - they seem to think there's no point being here if they can't be in the forums. 

When those people leave, it tends to create a big stir far out of proportion to their numbers.

19. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

If you want to write, you have to promote yourself. You can't expect Hubpages to do it for you. And writing correctly, without a lot of spelling errors and typos make you a reliable writer. Hubpages offers spell check. And you have to read over what you've written. I've been amazed, reading back, checking my old hubs, how many mistakes I let slide by.

1. profile image0

Dolores Monet, I couldn't agree with you more in principle. But we've got to keep in mind that spell check may not be very useful to people who simply do not know how to spell words correctly. This can be as a result of using English as a second language, word blindness, or impaired vision - to mention a few examples.

20. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Quite a few leave because they are made to feel guilty for being an idiot lol

1. profile image0

Please elaborate on that. Do I hear you saying that there are sometimes orchestrated efforts to get somebody to leave?

I don't know about that, but I've seen orchestrated efforts to make a hubber get banned. And succeeded

1. profile image0

Thanks Tantrum, for helping clear this up. If you are getting bored in such a rough neighborhood you must have grown thick skin indeed.

21. flread45 profile image59
    flread45posted 14 years ago

If you jump Frogdropping!!A big trout will be waiting for you..LOL

No, doubtful. I don't do fish. Not my cuppa lol!

And this is hotting up Wesite Examiner. You getting the answers you're looking for yet? I reckon hubbers are being PDG at answering your question *no smilies* huh?!

1. profile image0

frogropping, this is good exercise for a dilettante. I see that once again you are taking a phanthom leap; never said no smileys, "conservatively" was the keyword.

I know what you said (on your hub) and it's a measure of self-restraint, not a poke in the eye smile

@Jane - I used to spend more time in here, less and less as time goes by. For me, it's related to work. I don't feel influenced by forum trends (who's saying what, to whom etc etc) or take offence (whether there is or isn't some to be taken).

And Nelle has a good point re many top hubbers spending little or no time in the forums. Many just do their thing and stay away from the forum.

Maybe there's a lesson in that?

22. restoremyheart profile image60
    restoremyheartposted 14 years ago

I enjoy reading the hub-pages you all write, yet I haven't written one Hub-Page yet.  It is nice there is so much variety here:)

23. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

So long as Hubpages is on the Internet ,people seldom leave for good  smile

1. profile image0

Then what happens to all of their old hubs? Will they go through the trouble of re-publishing them again under a new name?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They wouldnt need to republish anything if they never closed their account ( I assuming that they saved them anyway ,if they did )

24. Eaglekiwi profile image73

Cant speak for other people but sometimes I just get bored , go do something else then come back...or I get off my bum an do some real work lol

25. Eaglekiwi profile image73

By the way welcome to Hubpages Web Examiner smile lol

1. profile image0

"I thank you for your kind words addressed to me," as they say at the UN Security Council. The only difference is that I mean it.

26. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

In the 10 months that I've been here, there is always a group of hubbers who think that HubPages will dissolve without their wit, intelligence or talent. They always imply that they are the creative force - the real writers and thinkers, without which HubPages' Page Rank will suffer and all Google traffic will cease.

They complain incessently in the forums and start inflamatory and controversial topics full of inuendo, and then they disappear or are banned. They flounce, their friends create topics bemoaning their loss - and then the friends leave or are banned. Sock puppets and trolls appear and are banned as well. It seems to take about 3 months.

And then the whole process starts anew. It seems to be a group process thing. There are about 120,000 hubbers, most don't participate here. As I get more experience on HP, I find that I'm spending less time in the forums and more time hubbing. That is probably part of the group process as well.

There are some people who have been here for years, who still seem to love being in the forums and are a positive force. But that is a very small part of the hubbing community. Take a look at the Top Hubbers page and see how many still post.

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think this just about explains everything!

2. Jane@CM profile image59
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very few post.  I've been more active on here the last week or so because I am bored. I've seen a great deal of turn around on the forums since I began here.  Many are still writing, just not posting in the forums.  Many who were writing a lot when I started and I became fans of are not writing any more - or not lately.  I think people come here expecting too much...there is no instant gratification in terms of income in writing here.

1. profile image0

Jane, I've just come across such a person who has grown frustrated and given up on HubPages after a short period of time. It is difficult to get such a person to become more realistic and reconsider. The trouble is that the grass may not be greener on the other side.

3. profile image0

Thanks Nelle, it will take me awhile to process your explaination. I find it very informative and intellectual.

27. Eaglekiwi profile image73

United Nations oh now ,that another topic ! lol

28. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

It is a myth that you can write about anything and make money on the internet. Some people come here expecting that and get very angry and bitter when it doesn't happen.

1. Laura Thykeson profile image64
      Laura Thykesonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree very much with this statement. I think some people come here and think it will be basically a "get rich quickly" answer to their financial problems, and then quit in frustration when it doesn't happen. I personally haven't made that much since I have been here, but that doesn't make me want to quit. I am here mostly because I enjoy the site, love learning new things from others, enjoy the interaction with other hubbers, and if the money does come as time goes by, that is icing on the cake. I think it comes down to "why did you join Hubpages in the first place?".

29. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

The major points have been ably covered, so I, too, will just say welcome to Hub Pages!

big_smile

30. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

I left for health reasons, but I was not gone long and I am back..when I disappear for a little while its usually due to a hospitalization or illness that has me bed ridden, but , as I said before, I always come back..I can not think of a reason to leave permanently

31. glendoncaba profile image75
    glendoncabaposted 14 years ago

I really should be sleeping now so that I can wake early to catch cab to JFK airport for flight to Miami and connection home.  But tuppence worth...

Here on HP for 8 months and noticed a certain pattern in religion forum, whereby newbies dive in among sharks and eventually become relatively quiet (like me smile) or disappear (like enderwiggins, now where is that dude?).

Generally speaking I think people come and people go just like in real world.  The small earnings may be a factor.  Follow the money...

32. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 14 years ago

Thanks, everybody, for taking the time to answer my question. Each and every comment has added pieces to the jigzaw puzzle. It will probably take me some time to process all of your feedback, but a clearer pattern is now emerging.

I will be contemplating what, if anything, than can be done to improve upon the "Hubber rentention rate," if that is a priority.

1. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why is it such a concern for you?

1. profile image0

As a newcomer, I find it confusing to see established authors disappear before I've had the chance to read their work.

33. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

Best advice today.

34. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

The comment about Flagging a hub or rating it does kind of bother me. It bothers me because I have been in other forums that are over-run with bored teenagers, or people with nothing better to do than go to every comment and give it a bad rating
    or post a responce like this;

dhnxdujduissydhewifhsdfejfoioghrduighgiryhehihfkkz. Or, the much dreaded. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

One of the reason's I enjoy hubpages, is because people use actual words when they interact with each other here. And,
    75 smile icons in a row is at a minimum of just 1 or 2.

I would hope that people here are not ganging on anyone. So far
    I have had a positive experience here. I plan to stick around, and try to have fun. I'm not too worried about my hubscore.
    But, it would be nice to earn more than 25 cents a month.

35. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

@ Terry

If you're writing for money,it's not very wise to be all the time in the forums posting comments. A diversity of people come in here. Some will agree with you and some don't.
    Of course it's your choice. But then don't cry if something like what you post above happens.
    Anyway I think that the only ones who flag down hubs are trolls.
    I'm in the forums because I only write for fun. so I don't care if someone flags up or down my hubs.
    But lately I'm finding it quite boring. As there is no freedom of speech ,and a lot of hubbers have been banned, including me, everyone is very touchy about insults, and are apologizing all the time ,just in case.
    I'm a little bit disappointed.
    and bored lol
    I think I'll stick to Argentinian forums, where everyone's a grown up,there's total freedom of speech, and everybody takes whatever it  comes.

1. profile image0

I am beginning to understand that the argument over rules-versus-freedom may be part of the explanation for why people have been leaving. But the "freedom of speech" concept is a bit too abstract for me at this point. What does it mean in the context of these forums, exactly?

Well, for me, freedom of speech is, when you can say whatever you want, not using F&C words of course.
        But I was banned for telling someone what I thought of something he did. which was really bad.

and lately everybody is taking care of what it's said.
        I find it boring.

2. Arthur Fontes profile image74
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whatever Hubpages staff decides it is!  We are in their gig.

Well, I thought America was the land of freedom.
          But I find a lot of things are censored there. Like nipples. lol
          Janet Jackson, comes into my mind.
          lol lol

3. William R. Wilson profile image60

I'm trying to stay out of the forums lately and concentrate on writing.  But here's what I've seen that troubles me:

Anyone can start an account here and go to work in the forums, and say pretty much whatever they want.   

Those people who came here to write, and who browse the forums as a sideline, find themselves drawn in by the trolls and sockpuppets. 

Something gets said that crosses the (apparently arbitrary) line for HP staff, and the writer ends up getting banned.  The troll laughs and goes back to work.  This can go on for years. 

To me, it seems like a problem when someone who has 1 hub and 11,000 forum posts can spend all day in the forums starting arguments, and someone with 100 hubs or more gets banned for getting drawn into the argument. 

Maybe I just don't understand the business of hubpages though.

2. TerryGl profile image56

Agreed.

When I first joined I asked the same question of where have the original hubbers gone. Hubpages is not all that old. There are one or two founding member hubbers around but thats all.

The thread is about reasons for leaving hubpages. Those reasons can be virtual personality clashes or other reasons, being your efforts can be better spent elsewhere for a better return.

Like I said, if you do not want to be flamed in the forums, don't enter them, there are far better forums available for knowledge and comradeship.

So to prove my point about this forum just read the past posts in this thread and see the negative flaming remarks and somewhat verbal attacks in response to someone writing a reply.

Some people do not like that and they pick up their bat and ball and leave.

36. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

America runs on advertising.

Corporations decide what is appropriate content for their products.

Newspapers, radio, television, Most of the free content on the internet  would not exist without advertising revenue.

Speech between individuals is the closest thing we ever have to free speech.

1. profile image0

But in case that someone feels that they have been unfairly banned, is there some kind of a review process or appeals system? If not, is there a need for one?

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A peer review?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
          prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL< morning everyone

2. profile image0

I can't be sure. Anything that will give people an understanding that this has been examined, each side has been heard, and so forth. Making the process more transparent. Yes, and possibly also allowing for some peer input.

2. TerryGl profile image56

Can anyone else guess who WE is or is it just me?

Welcome back WE...

1. profile image0

Then who am I, as far as you are concerned? And what makes you think that I am somebody else than a newcomer?

1. TerryGl profile image56

Oh, it is all too easy. Are you serious. Hello, a newcomer, not.

Your hubpages are nothing short of startling being brilliant my higher rating and each of your hubpages are above the norm for a newcomer.

You have been here before.

Why would anyone who has not been banned or shown the door ask a question, totally out of the blue, about a review process about being banned from hubpages.

Hello..

1. profile image0

I am a writer and a jurist by profession. If you like my hubs, I'm flattered. If you think the idea of discussing a review process is relevant, then I'm pleased to hear that as well. Seems maybe this has been discussed before? In any event, I am not here to make enemies. Feel free to contact me via HubPages, thank you. This will be my final posting.

1. William R. Wilson profile image60

I think you all answered WE's question for him, maybe not in the way he intended for it to be answered.

2. profile image0
                cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi there! I believe you, and I also enjoyed your smiley hub. I rated it UP. welcome aboard! big_smilesmilewinklol

2. Misha profile image63

I am pretty sure we seen them before Terry, but I am at a loss who exactly they are. Any clues? wink

I think in all fairness Website Examiner will reveal themselves and it would be remise of me to steal their thunder.

Hello Misha, nice avatar you have now.

1. Jane@CM profile image59
              Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

From the beginning of this thread & reviewing WE profile and hubs, it is obvious he/she is not a newbie.

@TerrG, I agree with your posts on this topic.  When someone new signs up, they are encouraged to post in the forums.  So they post in the forums and are called newbie, or try to interact in a forum thread and are word slapped - and they run.  Many try to ask questions, and many here do answer, but a lot of the "oldies" are tired of the "newbies" questions.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of good writers who may not understand the web, FAQ's and TOS - so they will ask, often after they've asked they get their slap, generally by an "oldie".  I think you need a fairly thick skin to be part of the forum and a lot of people won't stick around after they've been forum slapped.

I totally agree with you. That is a very good summation of what's happening here. How many times has your bowels moved when you look the next day about the previous days post and someone has had a go at you.

That's why people move on. When I came back I promised myself I would not enter the forum. Ok we all now know I can't keep a promise. I'm bad..

But in all reality, this is a forum different to others. We have the usual suspects, I can't name names, but some have the 2 years service medal.

They are all characters in themselves. Love them or hate them but they are still entertaining. That is what we need to achieve and what I have come to realise, love me or hate me but get a laugh from me just as we do with others.

That way when we check our forum posts the next day, instead of a fear of dread, it will be a fullfilling laugh. I personally read a forum post and I visit that persons hubpage. Usually I give a thumb up no matter how bad it is. I do this all the time.

That's what it is all about. We write, we promote, we make money (some money) and we interact. Sometimes we over think it. Let's not take each other serious, afterall we are just a virtual avatar to each other.

2. Misha profile image63

I have to disagree with you Jane. People definitely get slapped hard on these forums, but not for asking questions per se. It usually is either a demanding tone or spamming/scamming that causes noob slap. When people genuinely ask for help, they receive help, not slapping.

In fact I think you just offended quite a few people here who do help noobs on a daily basis just because they feel like helping...

Ouch..

I said to my boss one day I called it as I saw it, he replied well in your case when you called a spade a spade you used a hammer..lol

2. profile image0
                  EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lovely expression lol lol

I think most of the "slapping" that I see is fairly mild, but then again perhaps I've got a thick skin.  Although I will say (not to you personally Misha, but generally) that if someone asks a question and an "old hand" decides to help them, then said old hand should do more than just say "Read the TOS" which is what I've seen happen a couple of times.

After all, there's no formal obligation on the part of experienced HP members to help newbies if they don't feel like it.

1. Misha profile image63

Not my expression, picked it up on another forum  - but glad you liked it smile

Actually I think there is a sort of standard development timeline for users of any website. We start as noobs trying to connect the dots. When we finally got most of the puzlle pieces together, we enjoy it so much we start sharing our discoveries with everybody else - including total noobs. The more we learn, the more we share. At some point a kind of a burnout strikes - we get tired of answering the same questions over and over again. This is when we bark at noobs LOL. Then we just remove ourselves completely from dealing with noobs. And after some time we sort of return to it, wandering into noob posts only when we feel generous enough to help smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image85

Jane, I can't remember the last time I saw a newbie being seriously "forum slapped" when they've asked Hub-related questions - unless they were clearly a spammer, or stepping over a line. 

I've seen lots of people join, jump straight into the religious or political forums because those are the most "in your face" on the latest posts, and get severely "forum slapped" - that's where most of the grief comes from, that causes people to leave.

2. Misha profile image63

LOL I guess I keep quessing then big_smile

And thanks smile

2. tantrum profile image60

Whatever in the name of money.
      I see.
      So a lot of people, children among them, being killed in the name of 'freedom' for some arab country,  is right, but showing nipples is a terrible thing to do.
      I think something's wrong there.

And speech between individual is free, depending on who's the other individual.

37. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

Website Examiner, this question should not be coming from someone like you who has been here for only 4 days unless you are “someone else.”

You now have been told all the reasons there is

But, in your research, might you be interested in factoring those who dies?

There are still a few hubbers who leave because they are not willing to pledge their loyalties to senior elders like me.

1. profile image0

Sir or Madam, I mean no disrespect to anyone by raising the issue. Thanks for your comment. This is not research, as far as I am concerned.

38. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago
  39. frogdropping profile image76

Noob slap? That made me smile. And it does happen though I've yet to see anything I'd class as plain nasty. Usually it's a hubber that says (and yes - I have read and answered such a post) 'I want 'x' help because I can't be bothered looking for the answer, I have better things to do with my time'.

Now that ^^^ is taking the michael. And such a post desrves all the flack it may or may not receive. But generally I think a lot are helpful. Only yesterday a new hubber asked how to close their account. A fair amount of hubbers jumped onto her thread, offering help.

So what about the positives hmmm?

I understand what Jane is saying - sometimes a response from a knowledgable hubber does seem a little harsh. But let's not forget that there's a lot more help offered than isn't, both in the forum and away from it.

Now I shall bugger off again because today my body is working against me and keeps wanting to vomit hmm

40. allie8020 profile image67
    allie8020posted 14 years ago

Some hubbers may leave because they prefer the perceived benefits from other writing sites or they maybe they just burned out.

It would be sad if they never really used the tools available here because I think they're the best. This happened to me. I signed up for hubpages because it was mentioned by a top guru, but then I was too busy to check out the site after signing up. Bad move! I didn't return to the site for many months. Fortunately, I was going through my old emails and I saw my hubpages' membership info. After I finally checked out the site, I was amazed by the tools it offered.

Hubpages is now my favorite writing site. Unlike other content creation sites, it offers many easy-to-use tools for creating a good webpage, generating income, social networking, etc. Other content creation sites do not allow their writers to put keyword tags -- which is so stupid, I think. Other competitor sites are just much harder and time-consuming to use.

For any hubber that has left (with no plans of coming back), I hope that they put the hubpages' tools to their best possible use before leaving. I also hope that they've given themselves a reasonable amount of time (a few months or more) for things to work.

Of course, if any spammer has been banned... then good riddance. We need to protect this site.

I'm too new (explanation of my stupid mistake above) to know any prominent hubber that has left. If any of my favorites leave, I would be sooo shocked. But, I think they're productive and making money.

Maybe the prominent hubber who left was not making the kind of money that they expected to get. Hopefully, (s)he was not banned.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)