US people will be poorer soon...

Jump to Last Post 51-65 of 65 discussions (475 posts)
  1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

The world has enough food to feed everyone...

We ,me ,you ,them , why we just dont wanna share wink

1. free4india profile image60
      free4indiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If all the money in the world is divided among all the people in the world.... would that solve the problem of poverty ?

1. nicomp profile image60
        nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Obviously not. It would just create runaway inflation.

True..... Rich and poor are always going to be there !

2. Rhianni32 profile image70
    Rhianni32posted 14 years ago

I work in a call center in the quality control department. I get paid $17.50/hr. My counterparts in India doing on phone work get paid $2.50/hr. They can hire 4 people and a manager to oversee them and still save more money then me.

Whats worse is that we are still consuming and buying those items made overseas but we are not returning the money into our own system. Instead of buying an American made shoe that pays for an American factory that gives American's jobs it goes overseas. What goes around comes around and those American factory workers now are unable to buy the product others make or the service others offer and now suffer more are at risk.

Dividends are great. I love em and invest heavily myself in DRIP companies. But how does £2646 pay the mortgage and grocery bills? How can you buy more shares when your job is shipped overseas and you have to take a lower paying job... or go back to college to learn a new skillset.

Please note I am not anti foreign or anti immigrant. The outsourced workers in other countries have families to support too. It would be silly for them to pass up a job.

Thats what I meant...

3. Virgoman profile image58
    Virgomanposted 14 years ago

US is very Strong Country . USA Future is look like Secure

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your incredible insight, you should write a hub about it.

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pretty much sums up the argument from a certain contingent, Ryan.

lololololo

2. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pretty profound claims, care to elaborate?

3. free4india profile image60

You look great..... You sound very much Engrish !

4. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Actually the middle class is shrinking and people who make less than $100K per year are more likely at this point to experience downward mobility.

As of the latest U.S. census info available, only 18% of all households in the U.S. earned (what is considered to be) a middle class income of $50K-$75K per year. The median income fell to $50K in 2008--down $2,000 in just that one year, and has been stagnant for the ten preceding years. Meanwhile, the percentage of people statistically earning a 'middle class wage' has shrunk.

Over 50% of households earn less than $50K per year and the number of people living at the poverty level in the U.S. saw its greatest increase in decades this year.

It's nice to keep repeating these myths about upward mobility and the rich, but there's little evidence any of them are true.

There's an old saying: figures lie and liars figure. The feds have a vested interest in raising the poverty level. Income earned by a household is a red herring for obvious reasons that I trust will you will expand upon in your next post.

Income is stagnant because taxes skyrocket and unfunded mandates cripple state governments, forcing them to increase taxes and fees to maintain current service levels. Government payrolls have increased dramatically in the past 10 years, as I'm sure you know.

2. free4india profile image60

I could not ever agree better !

1. rhamson profile image72

Boy the truth hurts doesn't it.  The short term thinking of American business is setting itself up for a big fall. 
        When they get the prices down to a point that totally brings in the greatest profits imagnible there will be nobody able to buy it left.
        This whole thing reminds me of the fairy tale about the Emporers New Clothes. All the people went along with the story because of the hope of favor with the higher ups and fear of exposing his folly would cause something bad to happen.  Well I guess the time is now to tell the truth and try to fix it.

1. Flightkeeper profile image68
          Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh please. It's not only American businesses that can be accused of short-term thinking.  We have engaged in it as well. We are the people who don't save much remember? We all thought that the good times were going to continue, why else do we buy on credit and houses with mortgages that we can't afford. We all buy on sale and the cheaper the better.  If we paid a living wage instead of buying from the Chinese, we wouldn't have been able to afford the stuff that we did.  If we're going to point fingers, let's not forget our own responsibility in all this.

If you don't earn a living wage, work more hours. It's not the government's fault.

1. Aya Katz profile image83
              Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You don't have to work more. You could just spend less.

Ah yes the American Dream if youcan't earn a living wage the way the economy is set up work more hours.  It's good to be king!

I agree with you about the American consumer being just as much a short term thinker as business.  But the rush to send the jobs overseas was like cutting their noses off despite their face.  If you take the jobs away and leave a service oriented job base that pays much less than a skilled labor job who will be left to buy the goods being offered.  Kind of like a chicken and the egg scenario.

Another thing you have to consider is that to save money you have to have something left over to save.  Have you checked the cost of energy lately and the produce which is transported by fuel burning and harvesting machinery?
            The housing industry is in the dumps and how long has the war cry for affordable housing been mentioned?
            Will you begin paying up to three to four times the price for an American made product over a Chinese one?

Your point of living according to our means is a good one but how much lower do you suggest it should get before we are living like the slaves we employ in China to make our goods?

That is a copout. I know it's a copout because we all have a lot of stuff and most of it is not necessary for living.  Everyone mostly eats out and no one bakes or cooks at home.  If you looked at your budget there are things you can cut.  If your mortgage or rent is too high then you shouldn't be living there because you can't afford it.  If you like living there and want to keep living there then you made your choice to work more hours or get another person to split the bills with you.

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I am glad you have a lot of stuff and I am glad you don't have to sell it to survive. I think you have some type of personal experience with regards to this either through friends or observations which may not be fully realized.  Taken the current situation as an example there are more resturants and entertainment businesses going out of business due to exactly what you suggest.  People are eating out less and going to fewer movies and vacationing less.  Yet there is more unemployment and foreclosures happening everyday.  No one is hiring even at jobs that anyone could get in the past.

Precisely, which is why when things are good you should still be spending less than you're earning.  Our parents knew what they were talking about when they say to save for a rainy day. The good times just as the bad times will come back.  There's an ebb and flow to things.

I do understand the saving concept, believe me I do.  But that is not the topic and I do believe saving more than you earn even with a lousy job is still going to make you poorer as the topic states.

2. Harvey Stelman profile image61
                    Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What, a person with common sense! From your pic, I'm old enough to be your dad or your.............. Man I'm old! When did people stop saving money for the future, why did running up credit cards be the way to live and what could anyone possibly be thinking by putting under 5% down on a house? I used to think we Americans were smart.

3. free4india profile image60

It is really interesting note that when something good is referred people wants to be known by their country...... but when something is wrong, people blame govt., the rich, the poor, outsourcing.... this and that... and they themselves don't want to associate themselves with that country !

If people accept achievements of their country... then they should accept the failures also...

Everybody wants a share of success, but nobody wants to take the share of blame !

4. ledefensetech profile image69
            ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's actually the system.  Inflation penalizes people for saving and rewards them for spending.  If you want to encourage saving and a sustainable recovery, you need to get rid of inflation.  People bought things with credit because they certainly weren't making any more money than their parents and grandparents.  In fact, real wages have been in decline for decades now.  We've just gotten to the point where we can no longer afford to get any more debt.  Now we have a choice.  Admit Keynes was wrong and get rid of our central bank, or go totally Communist, which we all know is a failure.

5. rhamson profile image72
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

nicomp do you have any actual experience at this or are you just passing on the propoganda you have been made to swallow by your compatriots?

Have you ever ben involved in buying a business or licsensing a product? The experience may raise your understanding of the amount of power and influence these big business buddies and entrepenuers wield.

I've been self-employed for 20 years. I call on customers, bid on projects, sign contracts, issue invoices, collect on accounts, buy my own health insurance, and sell products. I hire and I fire.

I pay self-employment tax. I file a Schedule C. I've been a partner in start-ups that succeeded and start-ups that crashed and burned.

Three cheers for the power that Big Business Buddies have. They took the risks and they deserve the rewards. I wish I was one of them.

I am guessing, but I would bet money that you're more jealous than anything. You tell yourself that you don't want to be a Nasty Rich Person and you've built in an excuse for never getting there. Beyond that I can't fathom a reason for being so bitter over a class of people.

1. profile image0

Maybe he feels that humans should not be seperated and labelled by a 'class'?

No, you're wrong on that point. He vilifies the rich, thereby labeling them as a class. I celebrate the rich, so I am guilty of labeling as well, I guess.

Let me say this. I know rich people. I know billionaires and millionaires. I've stayed a their houses and socialized with them. I know their warts and their strengths on a personal level.

They are just like us.

Don't hate them or begrudge them their success. It'll only make you bitter and small. You can't build yourself up by tearing them down.

1. tksensei profile image60
            tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You've just invalidated the entire raison d'etre of the democrat party.

Bingo. Class warfare is the stock-in-trade of Obama and his party.

You are the one that started throwing around labels not I

Uncle.

2. tksensei profile image60

Then maybe everyone should stop doing that.

Good point. I think John Lennon suggested that.

1. profile image0

John Lennon sang a song called 'Working Class Heroes' and made millions becoming some sort of spokesperson for the working classes. What he did not shout about was his upper middle class upbringing and his expensive private education. Lennon was a hypocrite.

Shoulda been sent to a reeducation camp in the countryside! That woulda learned 'im!

I was referring to "Imagine" myself.

Lennon used to make me sick when he went on TV wearing olive drab to protest the war. Puke.

1. profile image0

Really? I wasn't alive, but it would have made me sick when an American pyscho shot him.

You really are off the mark but let me ease your mind.  I am not going to hate you because you claim to be of a class that I don't believe exists. Your assumptions as to my impetus to engage you in this topic precluded you from getting the point.

Maybe this is a little clearer for you.  Unbridled capitalism has raped this country of its industries and standard of living.  Long gone is the American dream because of the amount of work to be applied to earn the same wage.  Your claim to move on and get for yourself that which you please is taking people from their homes and families to be able to make ends meet and not further their cause on down the road.

Maybe you deserve what you have earned through good old fashioned elbow grease I don't know.  But the exodus of jobs and industry from this country was not done to help the middle class or the poor or trickle down wealth for those below.  It was done to increase profits and as a by product enslave people of other countries to do our stolen jobs.

What if you made the best and cheapest product on the market and no one could still afford to buy it?

If you think that is a good thing then I suggest you still don't get it.

Let me ask, do you ever expect to have a discussion that involves any meaningful exchange when you engage in extreme hyperbole like that? You have to realize you can only be speaking to the small minority who hold similarly extreme views.In which case, what's the point?

I keep trying to find more people to keep up.  Wanna join the discussion with out the attacks and definitions of what people are instead of what they are saying?

The "point" if you wish it explained is that I find a great many people "on the right" if you will who engage in talking AT people instead of TO people.  Are you included in this group with your comments about the "liberal" and "left" comments many of your compatriots label different opinions.

I happen to be very moderate but your judging me with the term minority places me in a box that is dealt with how you deal with people in that so called minority.

If you wish to "discuss" a topic in a open frame of mind I am all for it but if you don't I am left to describing your distortions and inadequasies to carry the subject matter.  If I don't know something about the subject at hand I will certainly acquiesce.

I hope you will join the conversation as your input is important.

Does "keep up" mean "agree with you"? How can any real dialog start from such a premise?

2. tksensei profile image60

Do you honestly think your comments about "capitalism raping this country" and global trade "enslaving" people, etc. is moderate?! Really?

6. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Poor people used to regularly employ other people who were even poorer than they. The reason poor people no longer offer others jobs is that you can't just offer wages. You have to provide benefits, and only institutional employers and very, very wealthy people can afford that.

7. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Curry just means gravy ,so some native tribe probably invented it orginally wink

8. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

don't let yourself be carried away.
    Lonnon and the others did their part very well.
    Have you ever heard about a revolution that was not conducted or inspired by a middle or upper class person ?
    In respect to that Lennon and his generation did a lot to change the world. And somehow it has changed.

You speak about economy and finance like a well informed technician.
    When the upper node of this thread spoke about impoverishment
    he invoked reasons to which you have logically reacted.
    Your writing was most interesting and I've learned some with it.
    But I think the man is right. We're going to get poorer and poorer, maybe not because of the reasons invoked but because of other reasons this logic is no longer suitable to deal with.
    This is a feeling, no particular logic to comfort it.
    Something tells me we must "think different".
    So, I tell you.

9. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Maybe ,but its relevant to how people think of their own contries being the greatest ,best in the world is all.

Almost everyone thinks that about where they are from, so from that point of view its very relevant!

In answer to the OP US people are already poorer than they ever used to be -thats just a fact.

Oh yea Ive never beento a sewer ,but I know it stinks.

I've never been to a sewer either but I will give you one benchmark of a successful country...

We have fat poor people.

Thatz the coolest thing !

Just like Richie Rich... The poor little Rich Boy ! smile

And yet.... your avatar is the US currency symbol.

I do not question the success of US currency! If anyone gives it to me, I do not mind accepting them...

But being successful does not always mean being right or fair!

A rich person is not necessarily always successful because his product is the best, but it can also be because his opponent may not be having enough cash to promote his product.

It is just the absolute truth that the rich and poor definitely are not competing from a level playground.

10. free4india profile image60
    free4indiaposted 14 years ago

Many people seem to hit at me here trying to put me down... Please do not get personal...

Guys let me tell you this.....

I am NOT against outsourcing from US or UK! In fact I make a living out of it because I get my work from US and UK!

However, my view is about the US people who are having trouble and I feel it is unfair especially in a rich successful country!

See freelance sites like Elance and Odesk even smaller companies are outsourcing their regular administrative and data entry work.....

For those favoring rich people and globalization.... they will  feel the heat only when their business is taken over by some other country......

For example many Indian companies have taken over US and UK companies.

http://blog.taragana.com/n/indian-firms … obs-90377/

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/bus … 34828.html

http://www.voanews.com/english/archive/ … -voa37.cfm

Jaguar Cars Ltd., better known simply as Jaguar (pronounced [ˈdʒæɡjuːər]) is a British luxury car manufacturer, headquartered in Coventry, England. It has been a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Indian company Tata Motors Ltd. since March 2008 and is operated as part of the Jaguar Land Rover business.[2]

1. profile image0

Yes and look where Indians have taken Jaguar, they are begging for UK government handouts to keep the business running. In other words, they bought a dud company. Indians may own Jaguar, but they sure aren't making a profit from it at the moment. Jaguar is being subsidised by the British taxpayer, so that is hardly a sign of Indias strength. Come back when you can support your own businesses, and you will have a point. British telecom own half of Mahindra & Mahindra. A truly British company, Rolls Royce, supplies the Indian military with more moneys worth of goods than Jaguar turns over in a year. I still cannot see your point, welcome to globalisation and capitalism India, but please understand that globalisation is exactly what it suggests it is..... 'Global'. Investment in foreign businesses has been commonplace for centuries. Saudi Arabians own a huge stake in Microsoft, that has not made America poorer. Congratulations on your first steps out of deprivation and dirt, please understand that a country coming out of the third world does not necessarily drag another country into it.

You have been trying to put me down or trying to prove British are better than Indians or even British are better than US.  I wish you understand that I am not here to compete with Britain or you.

I would like to remind you we are talking about the bad impact of outsourcing on ordinary people (not economy in general) especially US or UK and even I gave you reference on the article I wrote.

But here in your words.....

"Yes and look where Indians have taken Jaguar, they are begging for UK government handouts to keep the business running. In other words, they bought a dud company. Indians may own Jaguar, but they sure aren't making a profit from it at the moment. Jaguar is being subsidised by the British taxpayer, so that is hardly a sign of India's strength."

Now here you say that Jaguar has been screwed up...... and they are not making profit...

that means the people who are working for the company are getting screwed..... either without jobs or less pay..... now assuming that the fault is with the 'stupid' Indians...... that goes against your talk about the good of globalization....

Either you have to agree British screwed up before Indians took over or you have to say Indian screwed it up.  If Indians screwed it up then you have to agree it is the impact of globalization... If it is not impact of globalization then it means the British screwed it up before Indians took over.....

1. profile image0

Neither the Indians or the British screwed it up, the global financial system screwed it up. Starting in America, before creeping its way through the 10 largest developed economies. The whole auto industry is dead, surely you know about GM. The Indians currently own a loss making business, before that the British owned a loss making business, its not about me trying to compete with India. My point is that, no matter how nice Jaguar cars are and how prestigious the brand, owning a loss making company is nothing to write home about no matter where it is located or who owns it. Bigger loss making companies have been sold for $1 before, but normally to people who promise to meet its liabilities. All I am saying is that your example, of Indians owning Jaguar, is not a great one. So yes, indeed, it is the result of globalisation. I dont deny that. And yes, jobs have been lost at Jaguar, in fact jobs have been lost in car companies globally..... but the nationality of the ownership is irrelevant to that. I have to say that seeing Indian investment is actually a positive thing, investment into any country is a positive thing.

11. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

although I don't agree with the OP's post, I have found this thread to be quite interesting to read and it's nice to read some decent thought processes here in the forums.   smile

there's a lot we can do to increase income and as flightkeeper said, not all of it has to do with actual work or producing an income, it has to do with common sense and constraint and not giving in to advertising to have the latest technology, cars, etc. Americans need to save more wisely. the recession is like hitting the reset button.

12. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

The second largest military contractor is letting another 70% of its workforce go in San Jose, CA. A possible 5,000 in Texas.  They let my hubby and 300 others go in August, because the Army canceled their contract & the Pres. wants to cut back on Military spending.

I know a woman out east who travels to India once every six months to train people for their company's call center.

13. BestAmericanArts profile image61
    BestAmericanArtsposted 14 years ago

The key to restarting America’s economic engine is on Main Street, not Wall Street. We need to create real American jobs. American consumer purchases drive two-thirds of the US economy. How you choose to spend your money really matters. Imported goods are flooding the shelves of even small retailers like gift shops and galleries. American artisans create beautiful jewelry, pottery and glass. You can grow our economy and support American artisans by seeking out local gift shops and online galleries selling the best in American arts. Let's make this the year of the American gift.

A couple great resources for American made goods include, http://www.digusout.com and http://www.bestamericanarts.com

14. tobey100 profile image62
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

I put all my money in cardboard.  Once we all become streetfolk I'm gonna be a wealthy man.

15. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Put two boxes side by side and you got a duplex!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)