Ad-Sense and you

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Harvey Stelman profile image61
    Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years ago

I am thinking of starting a class action suit against Google Ad-Sense if my appeal is not settled in my favor. I currently am listed as TOS. A lady has a crush, and wanted to help her handicapped friend.

Google also keeps money that had previously been earned and never notifies you of what they did. People must have had other problems.

Please tell me of your problem, and if you wish to be part of a suit. I'm not positive this is going to happen but...........

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I never had a problem with Google. I think they are fair enough.

Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

2. Cyber Lawyer profile image61
    Cyber Lawyerposted 14 years ago

Many people have voiced similar complaints. I'm not so sure whether this kind of problem is even suited for a class action law suit, because each person has a different story to tell. How is a judge to determine who is at fault in each case, Google or the barred user? In your typical class action, the product has been defective or the services sub-standard, and customers are hardly to blame. Adsense is much more complicated.

An idea would be to use your experiences to shed more light on the Adsense appeals process. If you are treated unjustly, you could write about it, get others with similar experiences to contact you, and try to bring about change this way instead.

3. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Harvey, do you realize that you with the help of you friend attempted to steal money from advertisers and were caught at the spot?

Bonnie and Clyde my ass lol

1. darkside profile image67
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is unfair.

Harvey didn't attempt to steal anything.

Unfortunately his reputation as an Adsense Publisher is a risk for advertisers, but to accuse him of attempting theft is a gross exaggeration.

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Umm, ok, I think I went overboard with Bonnie and Clyde, this was not a robbery and murder.

Harvey, I apologize for Bonnie & Clyde. Also, I apologize for saying that this was you who did the stealing.

Unfortunately, that does not change the fact that your friend attempted to steal from other people to give money to you. smile

Is that better, Glen? smile

1. profile image57
          Thomas Andrewsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can understand that we can get a view point at times that might be clouded somewhat. Ad-Sence like any other undertaking by a business must have a mess on there hands with it comes to people who attempt to take advantage of the way the program works. That said, we can expect that they use software to check for patterns of fraud and as good as software is, it is not perfect.
             That in itselfs does not mean Googles perfect, we all error. But do you just want revenge maybe for what you feel you have been wronged by. Is the dollar amount worth the effort. Is the harm so great it would justify a class action suit. More over does if even come to the stature of a class action suit. Actually no. Class actions suits must be narrow or it will never meet the test of the court.
             I do not know Harvey I am new to all this, I am sure Google and Harvey should talk. Maybe they could find some commom ground over a cup of coffee. I am sure Google does not want to lose Harvey and I am sure Harvey does wants to be read. Sometimes we have to be able to say well i guess i lost this one and move on. Life is not always fair. We should not expect it to me, but we have to also have a clear understanding. Setbacks come, people get hurt, people get accused of all manner of things. In the end what maters is did you learn anything and did you grow in wisdom and truth.
             As far as Google goes I am positive they would admit they error all the time. We all do. Even when trying to do the right thing. Sometimes the right thing for one may appear to be the wrong thing for another. It really is about prospective. Google has a responsibility not only to Google but also to advertizers. After all they sell advertizers space on pages you
          rent at Googles expence. When you park content on these pages. You are actully squating on anothers persons real estate. The owner is actually even paying you to squat, all they ask is that you try to abide by the rules. In laymens terms it is a win win for both you and google. But the world is still not perfect.
             So as my Step-Father once said. Fair in life is like a plumber thinking he is not going to get dirty. What is fair.
          Some people get few breaks in life that isn't fair. Some are born blind, that isn't fair. Some never grow up and become mature, that isn't fairs to the rest of us. Life is not always fair. That does not mean it is not interesting, it just is not always fair.
             Would you say this post was fair, well not really afterall it was one sided.

2. darkside profile image67
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Much better smile

Everything else you say is right. Harvey will be banging his head up against the wall if he continues to try and seek justice. The situation has left him out in the cold. And Google ain't never letting him back in.

4. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

As an Adwords and Adsense partner, I should point out that although it is unfortunate that you lost your account due to the actions of another BUT I would offer you no clemency or second chances.

Each one of those fraudulent clicks by your "agent" was not a theft from Google. It was theft from people like me who pay to have their ads run.

5. Has_aWayWithWords profile image62
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

Google has far more resources than the people earning a few hundred a month from adsense. Your choice but I really doubt that this is a fight you will win.

6. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Ok Harvey, to put this in perspective.  You worked as CEO of a scrap metal business right?

So say one day business gets slow, so you decided to offer a referral option to bring in some more business.

You tell a marketer, if he brings in business you will give him a set amount of money every single time a potential customer comes to you, they don't even need to buy anything.

Then this marketers friend visits every single one of your scrap metal depots.  and claims the referral for your friend every single time.

Because of this you have to pay your marketer a huge amount, even though you received no business from it.

Now imagine that you had a million marketters, and 10% of these marketters were not accidentally trying to defraud you, but INTENTIONALLY trying to defraud you, meaning you had to seperate the mistakes from the real fraudsters (Difficult when the fraudsters can easily look like people making mistakes.

So how do you deal with this?

You have got caught up in the net because your friend tried to defraud google, and at 20 minutes of clicking thats a fair whack of cash. It's not particularly your fault, but fraud was involved, should Google take your friend to court and then pay you the money?

Or should Google just pay all the fraudster, costing companies billions each year.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Harvey, I hope you read this and consider it.  You are innocent, but unfortunately you've got caught in rules that are essential to protect other advertisers. That's life.

7. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Thomas, you cannot talk to Google. And Harvey can't. Google does not talk. Period. You can talk as much as you like, Google does not answer. I think this is exactly what drives Harvey nuts about this situation, but there is not much he can do. smile

8. Cyber Lawyer profile image61

You may want to take a look at this often-quoted article from the Huffington Post: "Why I Sued Google (and Won)."

The author and plaintiff, Aaron Greenspan, was an established businessman who used both Adwords and Adsense. Google owed his company $721, when the account was suddenly terminated without any stated reason. He tirelessly pursued his claim, meeting only evasiveness and a lack of transparency, before he decided to sue.

This article is probably being quoted so often because it is the exception, not the rule. Put differently, unless you are approximately in the same league as Greenspan, it's an awful long shot. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/aaron-gre … 72403.html

1. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Small claims court really made a difference, too. Google did not have the right for an attorney to represent them and they sent a less-experienced paralegal.

Also, this decision was appealed by Google. They were victorious. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/aaron-gre … 13176.html

2. Has_aWayWithWords profile image62
      Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You might also want to look at the update to that post that says why he lost on appeals.

3. thisisoli profile image69
      thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cyber Lawyer, if you read about that case, google appealed and he lost the money, and had to pay court fees.  The guy in that story broke Googles terms fo service, and he was caught out for it.

9. Cyber Lawyer profile image61

May I further suggest that you check out the Adsense forum. The people over there are discussing these issues, and you may find them sympathetic to your cause.

Those folks were discussing Adsense class action lawsuits back in 2004.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=3960

10. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I understand that Adsense is the one who conducts the program and has final say, still there has to be some kind of second chance.  In the case of Harvey, it was his friend who broke the rules and Harvey didn't know anything about it.  I have a crazy friend who would do something like that, needless to say, I don't say much about what I do on the internet.

1. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is why virtually none of my family or friends know about my HubPages account. They know I make money by writing online, but I never tell them where.

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same here. It's really like having another life.  In the case of a crazy friend, she would probably click on the ads thinking she's trying to help me.

2. Cyber Lawyer profile image61
      Cyber Lawyerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"My friend did this without my knowledge" is the excuse most frequently heard. Google often has no chance to prove whether the friend acted as an agent or not, they just assume it. If someone notices extraordinary click activity in their Adsense account, better contact Google to be on the safe side. Adding Goggle analytics to the Adsense account will also help pinpont the location of this kind of activity.

11. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I tell people I write on HubPages. I just don't tell them how I make my earnings. smile

12. profile image0
    Tammy Lochmannposted 14 years ago

Unfortunately for invalid click activity there is usually no chance that account will be reinstated.  You can file an appeal that is the only chance and a slim one at that that your plea will be listened to.  I am going to sound like a cliche but I wouldn't ever put all my eggs in the Google basket.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)