SOTU Address

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (113 posts)
  1. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Alright, some know I'm pro-Obama tongue lol but hey, I wish he was PM of Canada. Obama is so into equality, makes me cry sad  I did have to laugh at the expressions of some them congress members with the emphasis should be on care of  'the people' wink yeah, well, jus my thoughts, big_smile smile

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You would like someone who lies and is the most ineffective President ever? Take him he's yours!

2. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I liked that the Democrats kept clapping and springing up and down and pretending that he had accomplishments when he didn't have any.

Oh the best punchline was when Obama effectively said that he inherited debt from Bush but that the way to fix the economy was to get into more debt but then debt was bad and the government has to watch their expenses.  It was like watching a dog chase after his own tail.

1. profile image0

Don't spoil it for me I am about to watch the rerun, but chasing his tail is an everyday occurrence.

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just wanted to warn you that he's using Biden and Pelosi as his background and left the fake Grecian columns in the shed.  I guess he thought Biden and Pelosi made better columns.

1. profile image0

She's been injected with so much botox she could be as stiff as a column, and Biden is retarded!

2. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if he did much of anything else but he did head off a terrible depression.  Maybe that was a bad thing in the long run and maybe the banks should have been let to fail.  But the last time that happened it took us over ten long years and a World War to crawl out of the hole.

If Obama beckons back to "W" it is with good reason.  "W" was bailing out of office the way he left most of the companies he had a hand in.  Either bankrupt or close to it.

As everyone tells us about "W", only time will tell what kind of president he was.  At least we gave him eight years to screw it up.  Obama only gets a year?

"Nothing is so admirable in politics as a short memory. "
      John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

3. Dame Scribe profile image58

I prefer one with good intentions over racists hmm  Obama least mentioned on trying to get both parties to work together tongue for the people not personal gain. hmm

1. profile image0

He will be available in 3 years. Don't worry his personal gain will come at the end of his Presidency when laws that he signed will benefit him the best.

Nah, Obama's not racist.  He bows to non-white royalty and heads of state but not to white royalty and heads of state.  He judges a white cop to be stupid even though he doesn't have all the facts. We'd love to send him to you now, but he insists on staying out his term.

Oh yeah, about trying to get both parties to work together, since he didn't do that the first year by shutting out the republicans from the discussions, I guess he had no choice but to do that this year since he might be accused of being partisan.

4. Dame Scribe profile image58

I don't see how hating Obama solves the issues you have about him whereas he must work with the parties and hasn't used his Veto powers at this point. I think it's way too early to even pass judgement. tongue

1. profile image0

His Party controls everything Congress, Senate and the Presidency. Why oh why would he use his veto power to stop his agenda from being passed? Even with all of that he still can't get anything done.

Who hates Obama? Some of us just don't think he's the god that can turn back global warming.  If anything, perceptions of Obama have become more realistic. And why would he use his veto powers when congress hasn't passed anything he disagreed with?

5. Dame Scribe profile image58

True, Obama is just a ordinary human being. He can't wave his wand and solve problems overnight. That's unrealistic. hmm

1. profile image0

Ok, don't you think he should be able to get HIS own party to agree on something? That doesn't take a God just an effective,competent President, which he ain't!

6. Dame Scribe profile image58

A persons self-interests are threatened then yes, there will be disagreement and resistance. Obama is looking for compromise and gov't to care for the people not just their own agenda's (congressman, etc)

1. profile image0

Americans do not want Government to take care of us, what has government ever done that didn't cost three times as much as the private sector could do it for.

"not just their own agenda's"?!?! lol lol lol lol lol

7. Dame Scribe profile image58

It's the people who make America for what it is not just the gov't hmm I think downplaying powers from corporations is a good idea and health access for all people are great starts.

1. profile image0

Everyone has access to health care in America, it just isn't supplied by the government, the same government who gave us the IRS and the DMV.

8. Flightkeeper profile image67

"health access for all people" means more Canadians are going to the US for health care.  Where would we go? Mexico? Cuba? I don't think so.

9. Dame Scribe profile image58

It wasn't Obama's term that gave the health access  that's going on now and yes, Canada has Dr shortages tongue but meeting that need with Nurse Practitioners.  Also, India offers some cheap prices for services that are gaining in popular useage.

1. profile image0

You are kinda losing me, what about Obama and his term? Can a Nurse practitioner perform brain surgery,heart surgery? Not having enough Doctors because they are coming to the US to make money should be a clue as to what the problems will be!

10. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Now he's talking health care reform, reform is what is needed. Start with the cost of health care not take it over!

11. Dame Scribe profile image58

It's the for-profit pharmaceutical companies that charge the hefty prices because of the high costs of manufacturing. hmm  so they say

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image68
      Hmrjmr1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

and becasue coutries like Canada will not honor their Patent rights, thus producing low cost generics at the expense of the companies that developed the drug, Canada is not the only one just the closest one.

It's so true Hmrjmr1, it pisses me off that foreigners get a deal but we don't.

2. Dame Scribe profile image58
        Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know quite well that Canada gov't sux tongue lol lol

1. profile image0

I didn't say that

2. Hmrjmr1 profile image68

Me neither cool

1. profile image0

I agree but I didn't say it. lol

2. profile image0

Yes for profit! We are not communists we like profit, but Obama isn't doing anything to lower cost, hell, he is in bed with the pharmaceutical companies.

12. Flightkeeper profile image67

What health access going on now?  The bill hasn't even been put together and agreed by both houses.

The program running now tongue I know Obama's is still on the table.

13. Hmrjmr1 profile image68
    Hmrjmr1posted 14 years ago

What I would like to see is the (supposedl) 80% of the reform legislation both sides can agree on. He's said it and the repubs have said it too, they need to get together and do that then see whats left..So far he hasn't taken a leadership role to accomplish this and has allowed his party in congress to shut the repubs out. Not gonna work after elections last week.

1. profile image0

He will still try to shut out the other side, he is a true believer not a typical politician like Clinton.

14. Dame Scribe profile image58

Now that's what I like to see smile thank you  Hmrjmr1 smile you shared your reasonings and the rationale.

15. Hmrjmr1 profile image68

Look, Pres Obama is facing a new situation in American Politics and not handeling it well yet. The internet actually allows folks like me to read and comment on legislation, and we are doing exactly  that by the millions. We want to see and in fact demand the transparancy he keeps promising but has yet to deliver..eg Corn husker deal, the louisiana purchase etc in the senate.

16. profile image0

How does this guy get away with the Pork Barrel stuff? He signed 800 billion dollars of pork spending, now he wants congress to be more open? Hypocrite!

17. Dame Scribe profile image58

Have you voiced your concerns at the White House webpage or congressman, etc. hmm  Obama can't read minds. Nobody can. Obama is still wet behind the ears tongue but he will change, given time and I think we will see a leader thats why I said, I think it's still too early  to pass judgement.

1. profile image0

Hell yes, he's done in 3 years and then he is all yours.

Maybe so but if he doesn't actually start leading something he'll be dead in the water by the end of the year.. We aren't that patient. He was elected on promises of change and its still the same old crap on his watch. With no visible effort to make a change. Not sure if speech tonight has helped, we'll see.

18. Flightkeeper profile image67

Dame, the polls show that support for that Health Care bill has been declining so that now less than 50% support that bill. People have been calling representatives.  You'd think Obama would see that as a clue but he still insists on trying to pass that bill.

19. Dame Scribe profile image58

I know that health bill issue has been avoided by past leaders too, tongue he's trying to clean house and I think its admirable.

1. profile image0

Wasn't avoided, Americans do not want a Canada style health care system, it is not admirable its stupid!

They weren't avoided, past leaders couldn't get it passed. He's not cleaning house, it's the voters that are cleaning out the democrats.

In fact George W Bush got passed the Medicare Drug Legislation during his term to help Seniors, He led from the front on it and it passed. The pure politics of this so far are that he and the Dems wanted it to be contentious so when it passed they could say look what we did, (similar to civil rights leg in the 60's) and have folks beholden to them.
        That's the why of the way the legislation was crafted and ehy the repubs were cut out. It's backfired because we read the legislation and even an old soldier like me can see its not a good thing for our country the way they want to do it. Now he's got to compromise because that is the only way anything will get passed in the senate. Thanks to independents like me in Mass. God Bless em!

Just clarifying I don't live in Mass, I live in Georgia but the independent voters in Mass shouted it from the rooftops that we won't take that crap and you better start doing it right.

1. profile image0

It was a little confusing

20. Dame Scribe profile image58

As mentioned before , Obama INHERITED the current mess. hmm

1. profile image0

And made it worse 3 fold!

21. Dame Scribe profile image58

He wasn't alone in the decision either hmm

1. profile image0

No, you are correct, every Democrat voted for it and not a single Republican did! Dems made a bad mistake backing this loser and will pay the price in November!

Yes, the majority democrat party in both houses passed it.

22. Dame Scribe profile image58

Dems passed all policies about the monies that the banks lost? hmm how would you have resolved that problem?

1. profile image0

His recovery bill was passed by only Democrats in the house and a few Republicans in the senate.

As for the stimulus bill, that has been a miserable failure. Was suppose to keep unemployment below 8%. Now over 10%, because he focused on keeping folks in the benefit bubble instead of actually creating the conditions for business to create jobs. Now wants to spend more of the same, Not good.

I don't slam Obama or congress for the TARP legislation though I think the Car Company Bailouts were overdone. And the Bank Bailouts had some real holes in it that shouldn't have been. But I would also remind you that it was started Under Bush and continued with Obama. The issue I have is tghe blame Bush mentality that continues a year later, it's time for him to take ownership good and bad and move forward. Bush is gone and thats that. It's on him now, he asked for the job, time to man up and take responsibility..

23. profile image0

Its supposed to be "En masse"

24. profile image0

Texans want him gone "en masse"!

Well, except for the really stupid ones, thank god they are a minority!

25. Dame Scribe profile image58

I think his ideas regarding lobbyists and corporations is a good start. I didn't think too much of the auto bail outs either tongue but the banks...that was really bad. People should be able to TRUST the bank but guess they (banks) know they are a necessity n so, devil may care, so what, spent $$ n teetered on bankruptcy hmm national treasure would save em. tongue ?

1. profile image0

Lobbyists? Oh you mean those people that would not be a part of his administration, oops, lied about that too!

See half the story again, this all started when Congress told Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (Responsible for 80% of Home and business mortgages) and The Fed Chairman to lower interest rates and structure loans so more low income folks could own a home. They did what Congress wanted, and the more the did and the riskier it got the more Congress (Dems in Charge by then) wanted it. Till  it started coming apart. Then Congress blamed them. and all the rest of the banks, Two of the biggest Targets right now (Goldman Sacks, and Morgan Stanley) weren't even banks at the time, The Treasury Sec and Fed Chairman begged them to become one so they could take over WAMU and and Lehman Bros. Now they are sucking up the blame.

JP Morgan took over WAMU and Lehman was allowed to fail which affected all the international banks.

JP Morgan took over Chase. Morgan Stanley bought up all the Lehman Assets and covered the SPIC insured accounts.

1. profile image0

And the US citizen got screwed!

All that has been ppaid back at 5% interet and then some with the Stock warrants. Its Citigroup that are slowly paying, and AIG, Fannie and Freddie that will probably never repay.

1. profile image0

I was talking about the entire package.

No, JP Morgan Chase is different from Morgan Stanley, and it was JP Morgan Chase that took over WAMU.  I know this because I banked at WAMU and am now at Chase.  Chase is a very health bank. Morgan Stanley may have taken Lehman assets over of divisions that were not affected but the majority of Lehman was allowed to fail.

No argument on Lehman failing, it was Morgan Stanley that came in and kept the insured accounts whole at the request of the Treasury. And I concede the JP Morgan thing I had WAMU Credit cards that made the transition through he maze. But never the less the Last of the Investment Banks became retail banks at the insistence of the Government, had the TARP money pushed on them, paid it back with interest and are now taking the heat for the rest (Fannie Freddie and AIG)

Another thing, most of the big banks gave the tarp back because of governmental interference.  But the smaller banks are continuing to fail.  Obama made no distinction of this in his address.

26. Dame Scribe profile image58

Resistance will arise with those that stand to lose out on something or other hmm yeah

1. profile image0

Thats very profound, but what are you talking about? Americans are rejecting his policies, he works for us, the resistance comes from us, do you not understand that?

Referring to lobbyists not supporting Obama, tongue attacking my intellect about not understanding won't go anywhere. Yes, the people will decide and live with their decisions in the end . I know that well.

1. profile image0

I'm not attacking your intellect I just dont get why you don't see where the resistance is coming from. Its not his political enemies its the people he is supposed to represent!

27. Flightkeeper profile image67

It wasn't the banks that were totally at fault. It was the democrats.  They forced the banks to be part of a lending program by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, whereby they would loan to people who couldn't afford homes to buy a house with little or no money down and it snowballed from here.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Flight. That was mainly Bahney Fwank.

1. profile image0

Penith!

lol

2. Dame Scribe profile image58

Not during Obama's term  neither. hmm

1. profile image0

Correct! It didn't start in Bush's term either.

Housing bubble started around 1998 bubbled up from there and started to blow out in 2005.

1. profile image0

It all started in the 70's with Carter. Habee, you should be proud!

1. habee profile image92
              habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kiss my grits! I didn't vote for Jimmah Cahta. I did go to college with his niece, though. We were on the senate together.

1. profile image0

Ah a Southern colloquialism "Kiss my grits" gotta love it!

In fact Bush tried to raise the alarm that there was problem put Bahney Fwank and the other dems just pooh-poohed it.

1. profile image0

That is correct!

28. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I have to agree with Dame Scribe...I wish he were PM of Canada, too!

1. profile image0

Why didn't I think of that, brilliant Habee!

29. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Bush was bad in his second term, and Obama is going down that same road. When McCain suggested taxing big insurance policy during the campaign, BO blasted him for it. Now Obama is trying to do it - unfairly. Unions don't pay the tax, but the rest of us do. Totally unfair! I turned against the health care bill when BO sold us out to big Pharma. At that point, I realized he didn't really care about us. And what about all the pork in this bill? It's ridiculous. If they want health care reform that will truly benefit us, the bill wouldn't have so much pork attached to it. And why won't the dems include TORT reform? See who gets the huge donations from trial lawyers. Look it up - the information is available to the public. BO also promised that these negotiations would be on C-SPAN. Another broken promise.

I actually believed that BO would be somewhat different. Silly me!

30. Flightkeeper profile image67

Didn't the heads of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac get those bonuses that were based on how many loans they processed through the programs?  Whatever happened to them? Shouldn't we get those back?  And they're supposed to be non-profit.

Yep

31. Dame Scribe profile image58

hmm Health in Canada is governed by the gov't to prevent the high prices medical professionals can charge. US doesn't have that control so prices are set competitively between dr's and medical facilities plus adding other health services, for a price. So Canada loses their dr's. Prices will keep rising because there is a high population of elderly and upcoming generation with illnesses. Should there be a cap on health service charges or just keep paying out the high prices?

1. profile image0

Your government has taken away the incentive to become a Doctor, so now you have a shortage. That will happen here if this crap is passed, the answer is more competition to lower cost.

Frankly, it sounds like you guys are screwed.  If you cap, how are the medical professionals going to earn a living commensurate with their expertise. How are they going to maintain facilities. Also, how are they going to cover all that geriatric care.  Your gov't is going to have to decide who gets care and who doesn't (death panels).  This is what we're trying to avoid.

Dr's in Canada still perform procedures that helps to maintain their salaries and yes, we may have to wait. I don't mind waiting. Not sure I would be ready for surgery the next day tongue

3. Hmrjmr1 profile image68

Right now the insurance companies have exemptions from anti trust regul;ations, what doctors charge is what insurance companies will pay, the Drs haven't set their prices since the 60's.

People pay insurance and getting denied access to care. hmm and what about those that can't afford insurance.

The reality is the majority of the people who pay insurance get treated and those that can't afford it get treated.  You've been talking and reading too many leftist people and programs.  But you're in Canada, so it's not like you get a lot of variety of views.

Getting a American education and family in the states, gave me a lot of views. big_smile

No, not really.  It's well known that American educators skew leftist/socialist.  And if you're family skews that way, well...

1. profile image0

Skews, Thats an understatement.

Hmm..no. Family working in  the health field and working in them myself, still provides a view.  Define skew hmm

2. profile image0

Nobody is denied access to health care.

A few have been denied access to services or medicines for their illness that require out of pocket expenses . hmm

32. Hmrjmr1 profile image68

Folks I gotta go have a good evening Be Koo EL !! cool

33. Flightkeeper profile image67

I gotta turn in as well. Night all.

34. Dame Scribe profile image58

This topic was originally supposed to just be on thoughts of the SOTU address hmm ended up with me being told I had some leftist/socialist American education in nursing. Nice. Thanks.

1. profile image0

you're welcome

35. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 14 years ago

Looks like you had your hands full last night, Dame.  lol

Here are my thoughts on the State of the Union address.  They'll be brief because I have to get ready and go to work soon.

I liked that he challenged both parties to stop worrying about sound bites and behaving like every day is election day.  Specifically, he called out the Democrats for their cowardice and the Republicans for their opposition just for the sake of opposition.  This is what people on all sides are so angry about and this is what must change. 

I liked that he's going to continue to fight for a health care bill. 

My reaction to the targeted spending freeze is "meh."  It isn't really enough to have a large effect on the deficit, but it should play well with a certain sector of the public who always want to cut government spending.

Repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell: it's about time.

I liked that he will pushing for legislation to counter the recent Supreme Court ruling regarding corporations. 

Overall, I thought his ideas will appeal to most Americans. The reality is that he will have to fight to overcome the Democratic scaredy-cats in the Senate and the Republican knee-jerk opposition to get anything done.

36. Dame Scribe profile image58

Hi Pretty Panther, smile thanks. I agree that Obama will have a fight on his hands but I think behaviors say a lot about a person and in Obama's case, a party tongue lol. Opposition to do good things is a crime? hmm yeah, ok. I just like giving benefit of the doubt and believing in those that want to do good things smile especially for others.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)