Where are Haiti’s children going?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (31 posts)
  1. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

There are reports that planes with small children on board leave Haiti every day with the permission of the UN and the USA, even though the US military and UN have taken control of all airports, ports and roads in Haiti.

One airplane with 106 children aged between six months and seven years old was reported to have landed in Eindhoven in The Netherlands.

Where are these children going?

Do you have any information about this?

2. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/haiti … on-country

For adoption.
    and nobody knows for sure if this children have relatives or not!
    Great mistake !

3. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Oh those poor kids.  I hope they find a happy home.  They're so far away and everything will be so different.

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Even if they find a 'happy' home.
      How would you feel ?

why take so far and to a strange environment and language ??

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If they're happy it's always nice.  As for why they're so far away I don't know.  Maybe the orphanage already had these kids put up for adoption and they're supposed to go to Europe.

No comments.

4. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

From my understanding, the children are being put in foster homes until they know if there are any surviving relatives who can take care of them. Those who do not have surviving relatives will be put up for adoption.

I don't understand though, why they are being moved so far away when the Dominican Republic is right on the other side of the island. I'm sure people of the Dominican Republic would be happy to take them in and there, they wouldn't be so afraid.

Then again, perhaps I don't understand the situation. I'm no good at following politics.

I just hope that wherever they end up, they will be happy, healthy, safe, and loved.

5. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

It doesn't make sense to me either. There are neighbouring countries with the same language and culture who would take them. Why move them to US, Europe etc?

Does anyone know who is tracking the movements and destination of these children?

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

these children find loving homes with parents who truly want to love and care for children.

they had a story the other day about a couple who adopted two of the children, one had already been in progress before the earthquake. they looked so happy and taken care of. love transcends cultures. many people want to take care of these children.  smile  I hope they all find loving homes.

sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is not a normal adoption scenario. Here we have thousands of children being taken far away, to who knows where, for who knows what reason ...

7. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Wherever they are going is far better than where they came from!

That depends on what happens to them when they get there . . .

What makes you think that something bad will happen to them?

There are a lot of bad people about, even in care homes and adoption agencies. Plus child slavery and paedophilia is rife, plus the perverts in the human sex trade around the world, plus there are already hundreds of thousand of young children who go missing in the US alone, each year. Need I go on?

And now we have planeloads of young children being shipped off all over the world without any (I presume) formal adoption procedures being followed, and without a word in the press. The airports are controlled by the US military. Why have we not heard about this?

Doesn’t this make you suspicious?

I also would like to hope for the best, but this has set the alarm bells ringing inside my head.

If anyone can offer some evidence as to:
          1.    Why these children have been shipped so far away when there are local countries who would take them.
          2.    Where PRECISELY has each child gone?
          3.    Who is responsible for monitoring their whereabouts and safety?

If anyone can provide all or some of this information, then we can all relax and send them our loving thoughts. But in the meantime, I find that difficult.

8. Flightkeeper profile image67

So you are basically saying that all these kids have been rounded up and sent to Europe.  That no one checked to see where these kids are going, whether they have family, or cares who has them over in Holland.  That the people in Holland who received them without questions asked and are uncaring and just want to dump them with a bunch of pedophiles and child slavists?

roll

I'm saying nothing of the sort.
      I'm asking the questions. Where are the answers?

All your questions have all these negative presumptions.

Fears usually are negative. I fear for the children.

If you want to think that thousands of disappearing children have suddenly found homes with loving parents all over the world (US included), then that is your prerogative.
          You might not like it, but these reports indicate otherwise.   

Human Predators Stalk Haiti's Vulnerable Kids http://www.time.com/time/specials/packa … 60,00.html

Children going missing from Haiti hospitals: UNICEF
          http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar … 62efflN3nA

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

as it states in the latter article, this trafficking has been taking place before the earthquake. sadly, some children will be exploited, but I prefer to believe that the agencys are doing their best to place these lost children with loving families.

9. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

It's the ones that are not affiliated with the UN and other countries that you have to worry about taking children.

10. tantrum profile image60

It's always better to think the best.
    The worst we hide under the carpets.

11. Flightkeeper profile image67

Agreed rebekah. I'm not saying that child trafficking doesn't exist. I just find it hard to believe that they would be allowed to leave Haiti without any paperwork and enter the Netherlands in such large numbers and not be unaccountable.  You need passports when you travel by air, they go through customs, it's not like you can smuggle them across the boarder.

You could say that paperwork can be faked but at short notice and at such large numbers?

Papers ? passports ?
      you must be kidding.
      Haiti doesn't exist any more!
      Don't you watch TV ?

Tantrum, you don't think people will ask questions when they board a plane that is being run by the US and UN without documentation?  You don't think the Dutch ask for documentation on these children when they arrive? Do you think the children board the plane all by themselves?  There has to be some agency that coordinates this. The earthquake affected port-au-prince the rest of Haiti, such as it is, is still standing and I'm thinking that the smuggling has moved more towards the countryside.

12. Flightkeeper profile image67

It's more likely that the kids are being rounded up and smuggled through the Dominican Republic or to the other islands using boats.

13. tantrum profile image60

and everybody lives happily ever after!

you're right!
    everything is taken care of

14. Flightkeeper profile image67

No, as I said I think the child traffickers are smuggling children through the countryside, Dominican Republic, and by boat.  That's where they have to be vigilant.

15. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Reason #1 why I quit watching the news...this makes me physically sick to think children are being taken away.  If there is proof they were legally adapted before shipping them off, that is one thing, but if they are just being swept off the land, before they know if they have living relatives - that makes me very very sad.

16. DeeBee3 profile image60
    DeeBee3posted 14 years ago

They need to be taken care of thats for sure, but what if they have relatives around that the authorities have'nt caught up with yet, it's a frightening thought.

17. Ladybird33 profile image65
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

I wish I could adopt a child from Haiti, I would.  God Bless them all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)