My site was classified as Overly Promotional. Pls Help.

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (38 posts)
  1. taxman813777 profile image60
    taxman813777posted 14 years ago

I had 2 links in my hub pointing to different pages of my site and got the following message:

Overly Promotional - Solely or excessively promotes another site(s), especially when Hub links all point to one site.

This is my first hub and can't understand how many links to your own site you can put and where? I checked a lot of other hubs and they had 2 and more links to their own sites and ARE published.I get lost here.
    Can anybody give me an advise?

1. profile image0
      Norah Caseyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi taxman,

If your hub is short and has a link/links to another website, it is considered overly-promotional. Other instances where a hub is flagged overly-promotional is when a large portion of the content is duplicated from another site and there are outbound links within the hub.

This is a hub on what is considered overly-promotional flags by Maddie Ruud, the Community Manager:
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Overly-Promotional

Hope that helps!
      -Norah

taxman813777posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you norah,

I wish I posted my question  earlier. That was going to save me a day of searching for answers in the Help and Guidance sections.

Thank you for the link too. Maddie Ruud's hub was very helpful and I still don't know how I got there at 4AM today smile.

1. profile image0

taxman: No problem! smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As Ivorwen said, if one of them was an RSS feed, that puts you over the limit.  Or maybe the Hub was just too short.

Was the text original?  If it's published elsewhere on the net, you're not allowed links.

You are right one of the links was a RSS feed ( I had also to find what RSS means smile) Now I took all the links off and left only one. I hope it will work this time.

1. Pearldiver profile image66
          Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh Yeah..... And Thanks to Everyone who took the time to provide helpful advice over the last 24 hours BTW.  yikes

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Wish I could help, but I thought it was okay to have two links to the same site. I knew we couldn't have more than two. Hopefully, one of the "old pros" will answer soon!

1. Greg Cremia profile image61
      Greg Cremiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the number of links allowed depends on the overall quality of the hub.

1. mel22 profile image61
        mel22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

If I posted this response, one of the "so-called" EXPERT Hubbers would be all over this...Where you guys at...Make sure to insult his intelligence too B4 correcting him  like you do to everyone else so we all feel equal.

1. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And you were right not jumping the bandwagon, because it is not exactly true. As stated, it implies that on some quality level you can have one link, on the next level two, then three, etc. This is incorrect.

Number of allowed links depends on the quality of the hub, no question, but this dependence is rather binary. Substandard hubs are not allowed any links. Anything better than substandard may have two, unless other overpromotional filters apply. smile

3. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

My understanding is more than 2 links to the same domain is considered overpromotional but if I were you You might want to conside contacting the staff and aski them to explain specifically what the problem is that way there can be no confusion.

I think I will take your advise and will contact the staff before I post it. Thanks

4. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

Was the hub just about your own site? If the hub is nothing more than an ad for your own site I could see why they would not like it. Also doing that in your first hub might not be a good idea also. Just some thoughts.

The hub was not about my own site. It is about a type of investing and I put a link to a page in my site where I give a definition of  one of the terms used.

Anyway I'll keep in mind your thoughts. Thanks

5. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

There are 2 possible reasons for this:

1.  If you use an RSS feed to your site and a link, it will be counted as overly promotional.  For some reason, an RSS feed is deemed as multiple links.

2.  If it is duplicate content, then you are not allowed links.  If you are getting the overly promotional flag because of duplicate content, then you should also be getting that warning. 

If neither of these are your problem, then contact the hubpages, for assistance.  http://hubpages.com/contact_us/

1. starme77 profile image76
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

cant really help with that but why ya call yourself taxman? Do you do taxes? Just wonderin cause thats what I do , thought I might find a mutual friend interested i the same thing , I love doing taxes

2. taxman813777 profile image60

Sorry if the name misled you. I'm not doing taxes I invest and sell tax lien certificate and when I had to choose a name that was the first one that came to my mind.

6. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 14 years ago

Ivorwen, could it be ( big MAYBE so I don't get attacked ) that RSS is counted as a multiple link because not only does it point to a site but must also read from the site to grab the feed? Therfore like you said the RSS is already two links and adding a third anchorlink triggers the overlypromotional message? Just a thought.

1. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here is the reason, according to Maddie Ruud:

"Promotional RSS feeds
      Obviously, the use of RSS feeds often (if not always) means more than two links to a single domain. They do generally provide an exception to the 2-link rule, except in two cases. The first is affiliate feeds. We provide Amazon and EBay capsules to allow users to generate revenue from the display of relevant products on their Hubs, so affiliate links to these sites are redundant, and affiliate feeds to other websites break our 2-link promotion rule. The other is when a user has linked to the same site both in the body of the text and in an RSS feed capsule, especially when these make up the bulk of the outbound links on the Hub."

Taken from: http://hubpages.com/hub/Overly-Promotional

I don't know why when I click on the reply button on your previous comment  it opens a reply window under the next comment, but not yours.

Thank you for the link. I will use it for sure.

Just for fun. Last night (or this morning) I decided to ask the staff to revise my  improved hub before I post it  and after this long reading in Hubpages site I wrote into Ask a Question window. Just now I found out that in fact I sent the question to myself.smile

Hey there is a lot to learn here.

7. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

if both links point to same domain and are in the text that is overly promotional, it is domain not page..if both pages were to your site on the same domain that is why, you can however put one link in a capsule and one in the text and be ok.

8. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

here is an exerpt from the hub about this

"Web newbies may think that, in linking to different pages on the same site, they are not in violation of this rule. We do not look at individual pages, but rather at the domain name (everything before the .com or .net). Affiliate links like Clickbank sites and cloakers** like TinyURL, though they may navigate to different domains, all count as a single domain for the purposes of the 2-link rule. In general, news sites and wikis are exempt from this rule. **Note: cloakers provide their own specific problems, which are addressed in the section of that name, below."

You are right. I read that too but still can't understand  what "cloaker" means. Is there any simple explanation of the usage of this word here?

9. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 14 years ago

One word ppl forget in the overlypromotional issue is SOLELY.... A particular hub may not be EXCESSIVELY linking to a site but might be SOLELY linking to a site ; with only the intention of getting a backlink.

1. Misha profile image62

Not sure I understand what you are trying to say. Can you re-phrase please? smile

1. mel22 profile image61
        mel22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Overly Promotional - Solely or excessively promotes another site(s), especially when Hub links all point to one site.

not sure how to rephrase but here's what the top poster put and is also the definition of overlypromotional - basically I was just pointing out that first word

1. Misha profile image62

Well, it does not say anything about solely LINKING, it talks about solely PROMOTING. It might even not be about backlinks, if you get my drift LOL.

10. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

It means if you have 2 links to your domain and a couple links to other resources you will likely skate by the overly promotional flag because while you are promoting your site, you also are providing additional info and resources

11. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

You can have 2 links to the same site as long as the material on your hub is not a regurgitation of what is on that site.  The material on your hub needs to be original content.

12. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

This happened to me recently. I ended up deleting the Hub entirely. I went in and tried to edit it several times, but it kept coming back the same way. so I shrugged and went on...

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Donotfear, if it's marked as overly promotional, I'm fairly sure you have to resubmit it for the team's consideration before it will be republished.

It's not just a case of editing then hitting the "publish" button again.

2. taxman813777 profile image60

It gives me a little comfort reading that. It means to me that there is still hope.

13. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Welcome to the world Norah smile

1. profile image0

Thanks Jane!

14. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

It does say "solely for the purpose of promoting another site or all links point to the same domain"

1. Misha profile image62

Well, yes, and? I am too lazy to go and read for myself, but your version really does not contradict anything of what I just said. Or were you just merely correcting Mel? smile

15. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

cloaker hides the domain,it is essentially a link that if you saw just the link in text you would not know where it is really pointing to.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)