Is Peyton Manning the best quarterback to every play football?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Kyle Keckeisen profile image61
    Kyle Keckeisenposted 14 years ago

A lot of so-called 'experts' are saying that if Peyton Manning wins the Super Bowl on Sunday he will be considered the best ever at his position. I never got to see some of the greats play because I'm too young, but I'm starting to think that Peyton could be the best ever. I've never seen anybody control a game the way he does.

2. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Joe Montana was pretty good.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

No he is not. smile

4. jellydonut25 profile image59
    jellydonut25posted 14 years ago

Tough call...

I like to think the "GREATS" are guys that were putting up good to great numbers no matter who their receivers were...

No offense to Montana, since he may be the exception - but how hard is it to get the ball to Jerry Rice?

Peyton has ALWAYS been good and when a receiver who flourished with the Colts leaves, he is usually nowhere near as good. Brandon Stokely is probably the most prominent example of this for Manning. He makes average receivers look GREAT...that's the mark of greatness

but best ever? tough call, Brett Favre would have something to say about that, Bart Starr could throw his hat into the ring too...
    what about Sammy Baugh - the man played Quarterback, Safety AND Punter!

Manning can make a CLAIM to be the best ever, but football is far too competitive a sport for any one guy to ever be named the BEST - it all comes down to opinion and taste...

5. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

He's pretty good. He's got one SuperBowl ring, and perhaps one on the way.

Bradshaw and Montana both have 4 rings.

Farve's numbers are still way past Mannings.

So there really is no Best Ever... but again he is pretty good.

6. KingDrew profile image80
    KingDrewposted 14 years ago

I don't think he's the best ever...yet.  He still has a few years left to play and hopefully a few more rings to win.  If he can stay healthy and keep his momentum up he could be arguably the greatest ever.

7. tony0724 profile image61
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

There was a time when I would have said Joe Montana is the best ever. But Manning is on a level all his own. I still think Montana , but Manning is rapidly catching up !

8. chip22 profile image60
    chip22posted 14 years ago

Manning is very impressive, to be sure. But like other posters, I think Montana is the best. Johnny Unitas also is very worthy of consideration. 

One thing to consider is that the NFL has changed the rules to make the passing game somewhat easier, so you can't go so much by passing stats.

So-o-o-o... I'll rank Peyton third ( and rising ) for now.

Go Colts!

9. ShaunMasterton profile image61
    ShaunMastertonposted 14 years ago

I don't believe there is one player that is the best ever, we been lucky to see many great QB's. Peyton Manning certainly is in "the greatest ever" conversation already, doesn't matter if he wins 2nd ring for me. He's going to canton in the future with what hes already acheived in the game, 1 sb ring and 3 mvp's award.

10. alexandriaruthk profile image68
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

yes He is

11. jobister profile image61
    jobisterposted 14 years ago

He' not there yet, but I am pretty sure if he is surrounded by the talent he has now for the next 5-6 years then he will definitely be the best ever.

12. profile image0
    Kenrick Chatmanposted 14 years ago

No he is not.

13. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

The best ever? That can be debatable. The best this year?

Many believe that  a quarterback should inspire a team which we all know Peyton does.  Some think that the most important factor in determining best quarterback of all time is Super Bowl wins. Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw would win if that were the case. Some consider Dan Marino, but he never won a Super Bowl.Johnny Unitas has to be considered as well for best quarterback. Many believe him to be the top player ever to play the game. He holds three NFL championships, one of them the Super Bowl. Additionally, when he retired he had numerous records, such as most pass completions, most touchdowns, and most consecutive games throwing touchdown passes.
    Fran Tarkenton’s regular season record is stunning but 3 times he went to the Super Bowl with no ring to show for it. But he did  have great ability to run with the ball, chalking up over 3500 rushing yards and 32 touchdowns. He is fourth in the list of number of rushing yards.
    Peyton has some pretty impressive statistics and believe that many records now held by other players are well within Manning’s reach.
    What would you say to this question if next Sunday Drew Brees comes away with the win?

14. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

no, i would say joe montana and john elway are the best.  although peyton manning is the best qb of his generation and certainly dead even with tom brady as far as clutch quarterbacks go.  plus, i don't care what anyone says, he's definitely better than brett favre. there i said it.  not saying brett ain't a hall of famer too in his own right, but peyton is better than him.

15. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

What's a quarterback?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In my case it's a federal tax refund.

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You got money back? You're rich.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
          Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not yet.  I'm still waiting on the check (or IOU)

16. Tom T profile image60
    Tom Tposted 14 years ago

Best Ever? Who can tell. Top 5 Yes.

17. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Ask us after he retires!  He needs a couple of more rings to earn such a title cool

Dan Marino has zero Super Bowl rings, yet he's considered to be among the Top Five All-Time due mostly to his competitiveness and records he set that still have yet to be broken.  He would've played longer had his O-line did a better jot of protecting him smile I don't even want to know how many knee surgeries he's had.

He'll play for at least another 5 years bearing injury.

1. jellydonut25 profile image59
      jellydonut25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Which pisses us Bills fans off....

Marino couldn't beat Kelly and yet Kelly isn't mentioned in the same breath as Marino...

BAH!

1. dohn121 profile image81
        dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey, the 1983 QB class is still the best ever big_smile

18. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years ago

Otto Graham was the best ever. He has the highest career winning percentage of any QB, was an all-pro nine out of ten years, played in the championship game every year of his ten year career, and won it seven times.

He even won a professional basketball championship the one year he played for the Rochester Royals.

19. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 14 years ago

otto graham get the fk outta here. Payton is the all time best at reading defenses and is definatly top 5 all time.

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
      EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He shoulda read that slant route a little better.

20. ShaunMasterton profile image61
    ShaunMastertonposted 14 years ago

I've came to the conclusion that Manning isn't the best QB, it's me. Seriouslly I won like loads of superbowls, acheived many MVPs, OPOYs and been to the pro bowl loads. Granted that is in NFL madden but still surely I should be in this greatest ever convo?

lol sorry, just though some humour would be nice in this thread.

Good thread this, enjoyed reading the diff views. I still say, there no such thing as the greatest ever player. They are many greats that contribute to keeping the game strong.

21. Truth From Truth profile image59
    Truth From Truthposted 14 years ago

Peyton is a great quarterback, top ten all time sure. Best all time? No, but he will win on Sunday.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)