The Hurt Locker fails

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (21 posts)
  1. mintinfo profile image62
    mintinfoposted 14 years ago

Although it premiered early last year I just decided to watch it due to it's Oscar nominations. I found it to be boring, plot-less armature film making that attempted to explain how the average soldier's brain "ticks". I think the appeal must be in the disenfranchisement of cultural norms between American life and worn torn countries. All Humans have emotions and coping mechanisms. This attempt at revealing those mechanisms fall short. What is your opinion

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow! I was on the edge of my seat that whole movie! The tension was so thick my wife walked out...she couldn't take it anymore! I thought it was a great movie and it really gave you an appreciation for what it must feel like to be a soldier in Iraq tasked with finding and diffusing road side bombs! I see a lot of movies but I rarely remember them for long and this is one I'll never forget!

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i thought it was an excellent film, and highly entertaining. in fact i am going to include a clip from it in the hub i am writing about my nephew, who is going to be an EOD Technician.

why didn't you like it? just curious.

3. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just saw The Wolfman, and I thought it was flat.  No spark.  It was terrible.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I loved the film for a few reasons. first, being it is out of the norm, not a hollywood bright light movie. it touches on a segment of our military that many may not realize what is involved, how they sacrifice their lives. I watched it sitting next to a career special ops (navy seal) man. even he was choked up at different parts of the movie. I've heard both good and bad critiques, but for me personally, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I guess we all see things with different perspectives.
    I thought the directing was brilliant, even showing us a view of inside his helmet, what he saw. the emotion of the movie is raw and kept me on the edge of my seat, times I could not breathe, times I cried. this movie needs to be shown again in more theatres. Jeremy Renner and Mackie were perfect. courage under fire.
    it even inspired me to find out more about EOD and how to help.
    I highly recommend it. I give it *****!

3. mintinfo profile image62
    mintinfoposted 14 years ago

I guess I don't understand how cultures that don't experience hardships on a regular basis react to the realities of war. In Black Hawk Down they also romanticized bravery and it was done in a similar style yet it was way more entertaining. Ok, so it wasn't meant to be entertaining but realistic and human instead.

The plain truth is that in developing countries peoples lives are cheap. When American soldiers are dropped into those environments it is essential to stick to training and protocol in order to survive mentally and physically.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think they were trying to romanticize bravery at all.
      a view of what some of our soldiers do day after day, some of it, not quite accurate, {won't spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it}
      but Bieglow clearly gets her point across. for some, war is a drug. the one soldier didn't feel his life was important to anyone... I was torn up by that time, I wanted to scream, yes you are.

4. jellydonut25 profile image61
    jellydonut25posted 14 years ago

I'll be watching it tonight so I should let you know at least briefly whether or not I thought it was good

5. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I'll have to watch it.

6. TravisBickle profile image61
    TravisBickleposted 14 years ago

I can't take anyone's critique serious when they use words like "armature" (amateur) and phrases like "worn torn" (war torn). Hate to say it but you are heavily in the minority on this one.

mintinfoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He spoke in third person saying (anyone's) instead of (you're) but he was actually speaking to those who might henceforth admire him, saying "anyone who cannot spell cannot think, look at me I do not make mistakes".

I did not invite a critique of my character plus I think it would take more insight for someone to solicit one. Thanks for pointing out the grammatical errors though. I will be more vigilant next time to avoid being "ishitted" on.

1. TravisBickle profile image61
        TravisBickleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you want to be taken seriously don't butcher your statements with awful grammar and misspellings. That's tantamount to going into your place of business, unshaven, with your pants hanging off your ass, and your shirt untucked with stains all over it. That might be a little exaggerated, but the point is, if you want to be taken seriously, don't present an opinion like an uneducated slob.

Also, don't make vague blanket statements without supporting them by referencing particular scenes in the movie. That way people will know what you're talking about, and you can have a discussion about your reasoning. You give no specific reasons to why you think what you think.  Your argument makes you look like a troll who is just out here slamming the movie for the sake of slamming it. If you're gonna give an opinion, support it with some meat.

Tell us why you think this was amateur, plot-less filmmaking. What scenes led you to believe that? Support your opinion instead of just posting one with no substance. It'd be like saying, Sarah Palin is a f***ing retard and not listing the innumerable instances in which she made herself look like a f***ing retard. Probably not the best example because it goes without reasoning that Sarah Palin is a f***ing retard, but, you get the point?

mintinfoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I invited opinions from people who have seen the movie. I doubt that includes you. There was no need to elaborate on details. If I wanted to elaborate I would of taken the time to write a Hub. I did not feel that this particular film did.

Furthermore, "boring" means suspense without climax. "Plot-less" means just that. What or where was the plot? "Amateur film making" well lets see, practically all the scenes seemed staged. What does that mean? It means that there was no fluid time line of events. Only situations that needed resolving (bombs that need defusing). Again what does that mean? It means that the film maker then had to focus on the character of the characters. Some she showed as too nervous, some too reckless, others too careless. She attempted to show how different individuals(soldiers)react under pressure while using kids and helpless Iraqis for character development. Great for "tear jerking" but not in my book. I have already seen enough bad things in real life.

Finally, I have noticed numerous times on hubpages where people bypass topics and discussions and resort to the personality bashing. Especially toward People from other countries where English is not their first language, not to mention the religious fighting that goes on. English is my first language.  I made a mistake because I had too many ideas going through my head at the time and by the time I noticed it it was too late to correct. In fact no one responded to my thread for almost a  day so I thought nothing of it. We all need to move on from the personal attacks.

1. TravisBickle profile image61
            TravisBickleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well thank you for elaborating, at least a little bit. I still couldn't disagree more with your analysis. And FYI, I've seen the movie twice. Just curious though, if you'll indulge me, what are some of your favorite movies? Hearing what you consider a great movie might make it easier for me to wrap my head around why you would consider The Hurt Locker, boring, plot-less and amateurish.

7. BeccaHubbardWoods profile image87
    BeccaHubbardWoodsposted 14 years ago

I bought it a few days ago and haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I can't wait to see it and will find this thread again tomorrow after I do and offer my opinion.

8. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I doubt I'll watch it...I refuse to watch anything that deals with war. it's too depressing for me and now that I'm married to the military they strike too close to the heart.

9. Sa Toya profile image83
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

sounds like I need to give it a watch.

10. jellydonut25 profile image61
    jellydonut25posted 14 years ago

This movie was incredible. Well-made, well-acted (acting was phenomenal, truly made the characters rise above some poorly written dialogue), and well-directed

I love movies that buck the traditional, Here is your main character, here is his issue, here is how it is resolved, story

Will James is a truly deep character and just like in real life, there is no one way to define him that is really accurate...it's such a refreshing change of pace from the usual crap

11. theageofcake profile image61
    theageofcakeposted 14 years ago

In mintinfo's defense, Hurt Locker isn't exactly plot heavy.  Now, to completely negate his point, neither are movies like The Station Agent or Lost In Translation, but that doesn't mean they don't succeed at being the kind of films they intend to be.

Hurt Locker set out to be a war thriller, and it succeeded as such.  I think the only other movie that saw release in 2009 and matched it in terms of suspense was Inglourious Basterds.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOVED Inglourious Basterds. you're right Hurt Locker was not plot heavy but it was still a very compelling story.

12. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

I wasn't real impressed with the hurt locker but it was better than Paranormal activity, that was a letdown!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)