That does it! Gained 5 lbs..going back on Weight Watchers!

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (50 posts)
  1. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Rats, rats, and double rats! I've gained 5 lbs in about 10 days pigging out on anything and everything. Five lbs for me is like a ton. I recently lost 20 lbs the last year. Been going to Curves faithfully 3 times per week, building muscle mass, but my Body fat percentage is still poor....32%.  But lately, I've been pigging out on comfort food. I have consumed a whole loaf of pumpkin bread in the last 48 hours. I'm outta control. Time to get out the old WW points calculator and go to town again. Time to get back on the wagon. I've been eating lots of almonds, which are good for you, but in moderation.  I eat about 1 cup per day. Cookies, cheddar cheese...all high points. Time to sober up! Back on WW as of now!!!!

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aww. Too bad.

You would think a Profound Love Of Jesus And a Personal Relationship With God would mean you did not need to do this to yourself.

Guess not huh? wink

2. joecseko profile image62
      joecsekoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Okay, Donotfear, let;'s get a hold on your situation! Sure, support helps, but a real commitment to your goal is necessary first and foremost. Having been a guitar teacher for many years, as well as an assistant martial arts instructor-- certified master personal trainer, I helped many committed persons reach a plethora of goals.

As I describe in my hubs regarding weight loss, weight training and general well being, several things must always be in place:
         Commitment
         Goal setting
         A belief that you can reach your goals, then exceed them
         Empower yourself with knowledge

Weight Watchers is an utterly horrible and unscientific approach to weight loss! Yes, it most certainly is! Diet needs to be a way of life. I'm always lean and strong, but I'm always on a diet, sometimes maintaining a bodyweight of 175- though I'm in the 190s right now. I'm still quite lean at that weight, but I could look better. I'm a competitive powerlifter, so my eating habits cycle on and off, up and down. The one tenet hat never changes is the consumption of healthy whole foods.

What  mean by cycling (and I AM getting to my point), is eating for maintenance, improved speed/power, weight reduction, ad improved physique all have different connotations, but minor changes to the types of foods that I eat makes these changes possible.

I set a goal, decide how to best achieve it by formulating a plan that I will not deviate from, redefine that goal as progress takes place.
         I think you get it now-- you should always be on a diet. Diet doesn't mean a reduction of calories, either. Calorie reduction is the most disasterous and precarious plan there is.

Eat more whole foods: Old fashioned oatmeal, whole grain breads with no high fructose corn syrup (NO, it is NOT the same as sugar!), whole vegetables, "some" fruit- but I suggest fruit be cut from the early stages of a weight loss regimen, baked chicken-turkey-fish, and pork.

Improve the glycemic load of the carbohydrates that you ingest. Do this by adding a small amount of fat to every carb rich food. Glycemic load is determined by the speed in which glucose enters the blood stream. Fat slows the digestion of all macronutrients. Though fat has twice the calories as protein or carbohydrates, these extra calories actually do more to improve your diet.

Why whole foods and RAW vegetables? Cooking and/or processing of food takes the place of much of the digestive process. Tough vegetables actually deplete much of the calories that they add between chewing, swallowing and "peristalsis"

Peristalsis is the process of ripping food apart and mixing it with gastric juices by the gut. This is mechanical digestion and does require calories be spent doing so. Also, these tough whole foods always enter the bloodstream more slowly. Add to that all of the nutrients are still intact!

Here's your plan. Always eat breakfast, but a very small meal. Snack around 10:00 am, lunch at 12:30-1:00, snack at 3:30, light dinner (6:30?), then a very small protein rich snack a little before bed. Please, PLEASE don't listen to any idiot that claims foods eaten before bed turn to fat. There is absolutely no scientific proof at all to that statement.

Please, have a look at some of my hubs when you have time. Request a specific hub if you don't see what you're looking for. Save that Weight Watchers enrollment money for something worthwhile.

2. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

And what is the point of your post?

donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A rant...aren't I entitled?

2. NewYorker profile image59
      NewYorkerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Seeking support. Be supportive, dude.

Thank you for this, new yorker.

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's rather rude??
      hmm

she just wants a place to share with others.

I agree, rebekah....pompous little "tut" "tut".  Nose in the air attitude there.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I understand perfectly donotfear. Yes get back to WW quickly before you gain it all back. That does happen.

I know, Iknow!!! I'm back on the wagon!

4. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 14 years ago

Rants are a great thing! However, for five pounds it could just be stuff that's still in your system, I know I can fluctuate by five pounds or more just from drinking a whole bunch of water. My own belief is that we can eat anything and everything...in moderation...and live healthy. In the last two years I've lost about 60 pounds, and I still get to have everything I want, just in reasonable portions.

Thank you!!!  It could be, you know. But I feel it in the waistline. Ugh!

5. profile image55
    doejane1967posted 14 years ago

You know "A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips", you go girl, get back to WW & motivate the rest of us.

1. NewYorker profile image59

This is the worst advice I have ever read.

1. profile image55
        doejane1967posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you never heard that saying?  It certainly keeps me on my toes but hey everybody to their own I guess.

Yes, I've heard that saying. And that's why it's the worst advice I've ever read. You don't say that to people. That's considered as being rude..

1. profile image55

It is supposed to be inspirational, certainly not intended to be rude.

Most people would misunderstand this. Seriously, where are you from? Is this not considered an insult where you're from?

1. profile image55

No, I have heard it said in the past and seriously it was meant as a tool to inspire somebody and in no way meant as an insult.  It goes to show how one can can take a different meaning but no offence meant in this case.

2. donotfear profile image83

You better believe it honey!! Ha!  Great quote, I'l remember it.

6. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

The thing that shocked me recently was that, since I'm cutting down as well, I was looking at Slim Fast in store. They have 300 calories per drink! You may as well have a normal breakfast - one bowl of Special K fills you up more than that and it's less calories!!!

1. profile image55

Hey Andrew, I am all for the Special K, can't beat it.

I'd starve to death on Special K.  Only holds me about 30 minutes, no protein or substance to it. I'd rather have an Herbalife Shake. 4 points with 1 cup fruit!!!

7. donotfear profile image83

Thanks to you guys are supporters of the battle to overcome. I'm having a 5 point soup now....loaded with veggies. Great bunch, you supporters!

8. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

I'm really not a fan of diet places. The trouble is you need to do something that will be with you always, not trying to dump a few pounds, only to bounce back.

The only way to do that is eat healthy and get at least a moderate amount of exercise. We eat and drink so much crap without even thinking about it.

Cut out all soda and stuff that is nothing but sugar. After a month you will not even miss it. Eat stuff that is just plain good, like veggies, fish, chicken and so on.

Treat yourself once a week or so to a pizza, candy or whatever you like, that way you don't feel like your missing out. Take walks if nothing else for exercise. Good luck. smile

9. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Hey donotfear!  You'll lose the 5 in no time.  In additon to changing your eating habits, or going back to WW, you might want to consider why you've been "off the wagon". 

Sometimes there are stressors in our lives that cause us to crave things or to eat unhealthy.  Perhaps there's a major change in your life or new problems that have popped up.  It's important to go to the source as to why we restart our unhealthy eating habits.  There are times our bodies crave certain nutrients that we are short on...such as salt, sugar, iodine and so on.  This also may cause cravings.  Even dehydration can cause us to eat more because we are identifying our thirst as hunger. 

I'm glad that you posted this...nothing better than a little rant amongst friends.  smile

1. profile image0
      rocknrodeogirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like it was mentioned earlier, 5 pounds could be water, but you know how you're eating and if those habits are going to help our hurt you long term.  Good for you for taking care of it before 5 pounds creeps to 15!! smile

Thanks for the encouragement!  I need it!

2. donotfear profile image83

Deleted

1. Beth100 profile image70
          Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry...therapy will help you shed what you've gained.  Chances are you've eaten salty stuff and it's water you've retained.  It really helps to drink at least 5 litres of water each day (preferably R.O. water) to help flush out all the toxins in your body.  It's a great way to keep from eating too much, even if you have too much stress. Water fills up your tummy, keeps you detoxified and gives you an energy boost. Just remember, you still need to eat though!

Look after yourself first...everyone else can wait (that is if it isn't your profession).

I already drink tons of water a day. It's well water, straight from the ground, untreated. Plus I drink green teaand Acai berry juice. I think it's just a craving phase that will pass soon, but I'm starting to count points now.

Actually, in my profession, I have one hour to get to the crisis. It's a wonderful job, but I know it takes it's toll without me being aware of it. Getting called out at all hours, sometimes working all night, but it's good pay for this area. Plus, I worked many years to complete my education to get there. I can't let a little thing like a mid-life crisis stop me from getting back on the wagon!

3. Beth100 profile image70
      Beth100posted 14 years ago

I understand completely.  smile

You've got great foundation to work on -- you're very aware of yourself.  That's fantastic! 

Good luck with therapy this week!  I'm heading off for the night, but will check in and see how you're doing.

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

a few foods that help fight fat by boosting the metabolism

8 oz. cup of coffee without the starbucks frills

a handful of almonds or walnuts 

salmon has omega 3 fatty acids, also keeps you full longer

mustard instead of mayo, mustard has tumeric which helps slow fat growth

oz of full fat cheese which has an acid in it that helps boost the metabolism.

good luck. smile you can do it!

I eat the almonds every day,
        Okay, I already drink coffee in the morning, A+
        Take fish oil omega 3 1000mg per day, A+
        Do mustard
        Take Tumeric extract in capsule form.
        How bout that!!!  It's just me I guess....Glad to know that what I'm already taking is benficial to others as well.

5. theirishobserver. profile image61
      theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

Ah dont get too bothered about these things....more walking and dont panic...you still look good from where im sitting smile

Thanks!  Guess I just have a complex about it...I don't ever wanna be stick thin. But I swore I'd never be over 150 again, either. For my frame, 150 was way too much. But when a person has a small frame and more fat on it than needed, it shows easier. Thanks for your encouragement.

6. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 14 years ago

How do ya know those 5 pounds won't make you more desireable?  Not everyone wants a supermodel ya know.

Cause the 5 lbs are right in the stomach and I look 5 months pregnant....at my age, that aint too good. Ugh.

7. profile image55

Hope your day was cool and the veggie soup is filling you up.  WW have a few great recipes.

I just blew my WW points for the day! I went by the office and one of our hospitals had brought by tons of pizza and chocolate brownies. I hate a huge hunk of the chocolate brownie, probably 10 WW points!  Now I'm at 22-25 points today and haven't had supper yet!  I'm starving.

8. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

hun..its winter time..I think we all ( if we are from cold climates 0 pack up some extra weight for heat..
      my summer weight is 122, my winter weight jumps to about 127..then as spring/summer comes again- it disappears...

just thought I would add my 2 cents, you shouldnt worry about 5 winter pounds, you are perfectly fine smile

Oh Lord help me!!!  Your weight used to be my ideal weight. You're a stick girl!  That's what I'm supposed to weigh. Well, you are young. I'm 51 yrs old and stay active, honey, active. It's just happening and bugging me to death. These cravings are terrible. I haven't gone through the change yet either. Still waiting for it. I blew it yesterday bad. Doing good today...sorta. Thanks friend!

9. yenajeon profile image70
      yenajeonposted 14 years ago

I wasn't aware that Weight Watchers actually works. Hmm. I've never been on a diet in my life but thats because I honestly lack the will power. Im always eating! But I commend you X a million donotfear. Its an honorable thing trying to moderate your diet!!

I'm with jocseko! There's a reason you had to go back to WW smile

You know, I never actually became a member of WW. I just downloaded the points list and read some material on it. Learned a lot! It's all about WHAT you eat, and the amount. I'll tell ya this. Piling the plate with non-fried vegatables is a good thing. I always have a brightly colored plate of veggies. I'm gonna do okay. I continue to go to Curves too. It helps a lot.

10. donotfear profile image83

Joecseko:  Wow! What a list! Thank you so much for contributing. The good news is that I'm folowing a plan fairly close to what you advise. My problem - emotional eating! Sweets!  I blew my points for yesterday. I'll go and research some of your articles, too. Ihad cholcolate pit last night, my mind & body just craved it, it was there, I ate it. Enjoyed every minute of it! I do include lots of vegatables in my diet, some raw. That's good.  Thank you very very very much for your encouragement!  I also tend to exaggerate a bit...but one doesn't have to be 'overweght' to have an eating problem.

11. Black Lilly profile image60
      Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

Donotfear, you seem to be obsessed with those 5lbs... You're thinking about it all of the time, and keep on focusing on what you do wrong - your own brain sabotages your efforts, and you keep on failing your diet...

Emotional eating? It won't go away unless you remove the cause. Or at least temporarily "block" it - now you seem to be spiralling downwards, where eating makes you feel bad and you try to improve your mood by eating, which makes you feel worse, etc.

12. profile image55

Have a few low fat chocolate dessert pots in your refrigerator, they will stave off the chocolate craving.  Only buy what you need for your diet if possible.  Good Luck as always.

13. tal g mel profile image61
      tal g melposted 14 years ago

Dried fruits

1. tobey100 profile image61
        tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I came up with two or three diets that'll really work.  I wouldn't dare try 'em but you might want to check 'em out.
        http://hubpages.com/hub/Dont-Try-These-Diets

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)