When making a website, can you...

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

take a photograph of a nightclub and use it as a illustration on your site without the owners permission? I don't see why not because its your own photo and its a public space..just wondering what y'all thought

1. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think so long as you don't put the club in a negative light, I think it's ok and so long as you have something useful to contribute to your photo, then  I think that's fine, if there was anything wrong with doing this then the nightclub owners could object and the worse thing that could happen is they ask you to take it off your site, but that hardly happens for local pubs, clubs and stuff that would be actually and advertisement for the place anyway, free advertising I might add.

2. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely! In fact notate that the pic was used and taken with the owners permission and notate his name. smile

2. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

Hey thanks wayne, Its not putting the club in a negative light.. I just used it as a background image.. big_smile

3. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

Any image you take yourself  you own, and is copyrighted by you. Therefor you can use it on your website anywhere you want, even if the article was negative.

I take pictures of Disney all the time and use them, plus all the other theme parks down here in Orlando. I can't use a Disney photo from their own site that they took, although you could put a link to their site with it.

But any I take myself I can use anywhere I want, any time I want. Same is true for youtube videos people take at events. You own that video and you own the copyright on it, as you made it.

So as long as you took that picture you could use it and say the place is a dump, it's your own picture you hold the rights to. smile

4. MyWebs profile image79
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

Any image you take is copyrighted by you, true.. BUT some big corporations actually file a trademark on the building.

If this is the case then you need the owner to sign a property release. Just because a building is in public doesn't necessarily mean you can publish your picture. There is an exception if its a new story. If you would profit in any way from the image you would need that property release for trademarked buildings. If I remember right sometimes artwork is also trademarked. I know with the Eiffel Tower no one is allowed to publish night time pictures of it without prior permission.

I found this out the hard way after I bought a professional camera and planned to take pics of all the major Hotels on the Las Vegas Strip to sell as stock photography on istockphoto.com. I have 1 approved picture on istockphoto. I have since sold the camera. It is very unlikely that your neighborhood bar or club has a trademark on the building.

@Bill Manning - As big as Disney is I would bet you dollars to dimes they DO have trademarks on their famous landmarks. Try printing up some postcards and advertise them for sale in the local FL. newspaper if your really want to gamble like your in Vegas. Mickey Mouse's peeps are gonna come to pay you a little visit.

If your pictures have people that can be identified and your going to profit from the pictures, like say a poster or postcard or even a web page with ads, guess what. You need a model release.  You may own the rights to your pictures but you don't never own the right to publish people in your pictures for profit! Buildings, with no trademark you may.
    iStockphoto's property release: http://www.istockphoto.com/docs/propertyrelease.pdf

CYA time - I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. I can not offer legal advice. You are advised to seek competent legal advice from a lawyer, or risk getting your @$$ sued

5. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

@mywebs I  have never heard about copyrighting buildings before, that really is incredibly worrying!

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It can and has been done.

The Eiffel Tower at night (with the lights on) is trademarked, apparently.

You need permission to use the image or to sell it. So other than happy snaps you can't try and make any money from it or use it for promotion.

1. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good job they disintegrated it in the recent GI Joe film and it must be true because they caught it on camera ....go Cobra!

1. darkside profile image65
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They destroyed it in Team America as well didn't they?

And here's a mention of the copyright claim at Wikipedia for anyone who is interested:

6. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

http://www.patentcopyrighttrademarkblog … hitecture/

has some limited info about property release and how it relates to publically viewable buildings

and some very specific info about disney and trademarks..photos you would be getting on private property

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)