Who thinks Newyorker's are amazingly........

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (69 posts)
  1. seanorjohn profile image72
    seanorjohnposted 14 years ago

I think Newyorker's are amazingly......(complete this ,sentence please.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...brash and no-nonsense. those are the words that come to mind when i think of people from there that i have met.

seanorjohnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cosette .. I like it. Brief and to the point. Unlike the sort of drivel I would.................

2. tobey100 profile image59
        tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Only other New Yorkers think New Yorkers are amazing.  The rest of us think New Yorkers are just New Yorkers and will always be just New Yorkers.  (I've found I like typing New Yorker)

2. mcbean profile image66
      mcbeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

skinny for Americans. I had heard so much about super-sized Americans but the first place I went to was New York. Everyone does way too much walking there....
      Barely enough time to grab a burger it seems.

What disappointment!

mcbean , I had to check you out and was amazed to  find you living on a "differernt planet", or some such thing.

Are newyorkers anorexic, in your opinion?

1. mcbean profile image66
          mcbeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

By no means.

Just not as fat as I was hoping for.

wink

3. Mentalist acer profile image59
      Mentalist acerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think New Yorker are amazingly nieve about their history on immigration, by the way they brag about being the gateway to the world.
         Most of anything I've ever heard were horror stories from the immigrants that came through New York.
         If anything New Orleans or San Francisco should have better recognition for their immigration history.

4. Rayalternately profile image60
      Rayalternatelyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...prone to stereotyping? big_smile

5. profile image0
      Norah Caseyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

talented moderators on HubPages wink

Thanks for your dedication to hubpages Norah. What would we do without new Yorker's like you?

1. profile image0
          Norah Caseyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Probably fall into the depths of confusion and chaos. < /sarcasm >

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Arrogant, cocky, boring, sad, pathetic, useless, below average in intelligence and many other things. However, with that said, I do know a few, who are not in that class of people.

Only because I know them personally and they are none of those descriptions. smile

Wow, cagsil I was thinking people might settle on one adjective.

I guess there should only be one more reply now, someone telling us their finer points.

Thanks for your input......but I don't mean to let readers think I endorse these sentiments. This is a genuine poll. I am from the UK and don't have a strong or informed view about Newyorker's.

1. Friendlyword profile image61
        Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your interest. New Yorkers are the Best (and worst sometime) of what America is.  However, being compacted, rushed, missunderstood, feared, and targeted...We just dont have the time to show the world how all the pressure we face everyday actually make us the smartest,  most compassionate, patient, loving and forgiving people in this Country.  But...I'm not one of them. 

In reply to Cagsil.
        It's a shame some people live their entire life without an original thought. Be unpredictable for a change Dude! Yawn.....

3. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I'm from the UK too and have never met a New Yorker, so cannot comment. Loved New Orleans to bits, less keen on Baltimore and Washington DC although I ate a marvellous baba ganoush in the latter place.

Writeangled, I envy your visit to New Orleans. This is somewhere I will visit before I die.

There are so many places I want to visit in Europe, that I often forget the places I would like to visit in the USA.

4. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

old and living in South Florida?

Colebaby, is this true?

1. pddm67 profile image60
        pddm67posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorta - Only for half the year - they come back up to NY for the other half - the warmer half - also known as "Snowbirds" :-)

1. Colebabie profile image59
          Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is "season" right now. Meaning all of them are here.
          Its hard to avoid the Camrys and Grand Marquis smile

But a lot of New Yorkers live here year round.

It must be a lot different in the off season smile

True - my aunt stays there all year and will maybe come up here for 2 weeks or so. "Mom" will be back in NY from May-Oct. Alot of NY's retire there.

5. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 14 years ago

I'm afraid I meet many of them here in Cologne who speak in a very loud voice, and constantly remind that they are from NEW YORK.
    I suppose I'm supposed to say WOW!
    But I just tell them I'm from little old LONDON, which they don't seem to find any where near as impressive as being from NEW YORK.

Camlo, do you not agree that londoner's have a superiority complex. I was born in London and lived there for thirty years.When I moved up North it was a big culture shock.

I still worry about the accent. I try to get my children to speak in a southern accent. How sad is that. I don't think we are better , but can't help myself from toning down their northern accents.

1. camlo profile image83
        camloposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hate to say it, but you might be right. I think you are, in fact.
        But at least none of us British (not that I've ever met) go to a foreign country and brag about where they're from.

Camlo, you are right. At least we don't brag. We are just a little sly and subtle like me.

1. camlo profile image83

Perhaps smile

2. camlo profile image83

BTW I think the London (Cockney) accent is terrible. Much prefer a northern one.

3. WriteAngled profile image73
        WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I grew up in London in a Polish family, studied in Bristol. My daughters were  born in Zagreb and Bristol, respectively. After that, we moved to Sheffield and then Nottingham. My girls always complained that they were teased at school for the "posh" accents they had inherited from me. In fact, my accent is fairly neutral. Anyway, they now live in Brighton and London and no longer complain smile

Writeangled, I think you might appreciate this true story.. My son was trying to catch a train from Doncaster to London. The woman at the desk said what seemed to be "all trains to London cancelled". My son was devastated. " What shall I do dad"."Should I catch a coach" . No matter how many times she repeated " all trains are cancelled" my son still didn't get it.

Yes , she was saying "hull trains are cancelled". Yes, there were plenty of other trains to London.

6. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 14 years ago

Sorry, couldn't think of the right adjective smile

7. queenbe profile image60
    queenbeposted 14 years ago

POOR?

8. pddm67 profile image60
    pddm67posted 14 years ago

There are 2 kinds of New Yorkers - those that fit the stereotype (rude, obnoxious, loud, etc.) and those that do not (nice, kind, helpful, etc.) - just like everywhere else in the world.

Hey - if YOU to drive thru our city, you'd be yelling out the window and cursing like a native new yorker too smile

New Yorkers are no better than anyone else, we just like to think we are. Well - we believe it too smile We are just a very proud people and have no shame in showing it (loudly of course).

We don't want everyone to know we're from NY - it can't be helped. The minute we open our mouth , people know! They say it's our accent (what accent?)

Born here, raised here, raising my kids here, and might possibly even be a Snowbird too someday. All I know is that I wouldn't live anywhere else. Even with that foot of snow we're expecting tomorrow big_smile

1. camlo profile image83

Well, if they didn't tell me they're from NEW YORK, I wouldn't know, because I can't tell the difference between a NEW YORK accent and a Californian. To me, the accent is just American.

big_smile

Unfortunately where ever I go (outside of NY), the minute I open my mouth, someone will say, "You're from NY, right?".

Is there a "californian" accent?

1. camlo profile image83

Is there? I might be the wrong one to ask.

2. seanorjohn profile image72

Thanks for replying. I don't know but don't worry. Someone help.

Pd, you sound like a great guy.
      A great citizen of the world as well as a great NewYorker.

Thanks seanorjohn  - you're not to shabby yourself big_smile

Just for future reference, I'm a gal smile

Apologies,you sound like a great gal Pd.

Thanks big_smile  BTW - luvin your hubs! Made me smile and laugh on such a yucky day.

3. Friendlyword profile image61

Couldn't have said it better myself. I forgot about the pride of being a New Yorker in my reply to Seanorjohn. Every other place on this planet would be a nice place to visit. I was born and hope to die here in Brooklyn, NY!

9. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I found New Yorkers (at least down town) to be clever, considerate, friendly and some of the nicest people I have met. I will leave out the huge guy who came towards us on the footpath abusing every passer by! Nobody was arguing with him, he was the size of any other two men! lol Must have had a very bad day! lol
    I really do love New York.

Earnesthub. That is so funny.Praising then spending most of your words on damning Newyorkers..

Do you like them? Are you prepared to generalise? State your position, please.

Please do not take offence.
      #
      I truly thank you for your comments.

10. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

......polite and friendly.big_smile

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile That is what I found too. It felt like my own city of Melbourne. I was invited to peoples apartments, lent a car to travel upstate by a stranger, treated well everywhere I went. smile

1. camlo profile image83

Hmmm -- I think I'll have to go there. I possibly just met the wrong NEW YORKERS here.

11. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 14 years ago

The whole layout of this page has just changed. Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

12. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 14 years ago

Oh, it's gone back to normal. Excuse me ...

13. mod2vint profile image61
    mod2vintposted 14 years ago

under psychiatric care.

14. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Great topic!

New Yorkers are.... unique

Remember that old tongue twister:
    Unique New York
    Unique New York
    Unique New York

Try saying that 3x fast.

It's a wonderful town.

Thanks for that.

Now I think of it .... Frank Sinatra. 

"My kind of town" .

Damn , that was Chicago, wasn't it? I'm from UK so please forgive.

15. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

smile

and the girls have names like Gina and wear big hoop earrings and would give you the shirt off their back. i had the most fun with her. she moved away though sad

Cosette, thanks for your response.
      I take it you like Newyorkers.
      I am intrigued at your response. Don't worry, don't explain Keep it a mystery.

Great to hear such responses. I only expected one word responses.

I am fairly new. I wonder if I should have asked this in the "sandpit".

16. k@ri profile image84
    k@riposted 14 years ago

Another from Frank..."I want to wake in the city that never sleeps"...

I love New Yorkers...brash, no-nonsense, speak their minds...you always know where you stand.  If they like you, you know and if you don't you know...very little reading between the lines.

But then, I grew up in New Jersey...it's very much the same...seemingly harsh people with hearts of gold.  The "f" word is common, but means little.  Words don't mean much, but action does.

Thanks k. I was really getting my Sinatra mixed up.

Thanks for reminding me. I am going to check it all out now.

17. wsp2469 profile image61
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

I think NYC is just like any other place in that you will find scum of the earth as well as good people there.  Y'all can go write hubs now because I just settled this for you.  (They are no better and no worse.)

1. Madison22 profile image59
      Madison22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wsp, I agree completely!  "no better, no worse."

18. jellydonut25 profile image61
    jellydonut25posted 14 years ago

Jerks.

But that's because I'm from the STATE of New York and CONSTANTLY get confused (when I'm out of state) for being from New York City.

Newsflash: Buffalo, NY is FURTHER from New York City than it is from Cleveland.

I hate when people say, "wow, you don't have a New York accent!" really?!?! could it possibly be the same reason that I don't have a Boston accent? or a Kentucky accent? I'm not FROM THERE!

roar!

1. Friendlyword profile image61

Wow!
      It's such an insult for you to be mistaken as someone from NYC. How about refusing to be insulted by our tax dollars that keep your town alive!  How about you profit from the prisons and inmates that only come from the town you are so proud of.

REFUSE THE INSULT OF PROFITTING FROM A CITY THAT HAPPENS TO BE A PART OF YOUR STATE, BROTHER! YOU ARE FROM THE EMPIRE STATE, BECAUSE, NEW YORK CITY IS A PART OF IT!

How do we succeed from this backwater State anyway? Let's make New Jersey rich!

This is fascinating. I had no idea about these differences."the state of new york" , well I never!

2. profile image0
        Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dude! I'm from California but most definitely NOT from LA! NY is a big place and not just Manhattan, as many assume smile

1. jellydonut25 profile image61
          jellydonut25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's all I was trying to get at...

it just irks me that people will lump you in with someone else just because they recognize ONE part of where you're from.

Buffalo and NYC are two VERY VERY different cities, and it makes me mad that people don't know ANYTHING about the second largest city in the state of NY

and friendlyword, I think the word you were looking for is "SECEDE" since it seemed like you were insinuating that NYC should become a part of Jersey so you don't have to be "burdened" by us Western New Yorkers...also, don't act like you're the only ones that pay taxes, being in the great state of NY ours are just as high as yours

1. Chloe Comfort profile image59
            Chloe Comfortposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True, Long Island is also a part of NY but when you ask someone that lives on L.I. where they're from they don't say NYC, they say Long Island. And not everyone has the "NY accent" (like me).

Don't matter what borough I live in, or if I move to L.I. someday or even up to Syracuse, when asked, the answer will always be NY.

19. lovelypaper profile image58
    lovelypaperposted 14 years ago

Uh, I know a few New Yorkers and I have my opinion, but I'll just let this one go....

Why? They can't be that bad.

20. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

New Yorkers showed what they were made of during 9/11. Every person I have met from New York has been great.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too. smile

(9 .11) was so bad  I read somewhere that afterwards USA organisations  and NY were being much more people friendly.

Don't sack Joe... he's a good guy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)