Would you Help this Mother

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (72 posts)
  1. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

It's now been over seven months since those three Berkeley grads were taken hostage by the Iranian government after mistakenly crossing the border into the country while hiking in Iraqi Kurdistan. A couple weeks back, Iranian President Ahmadinejad offered to swap the three hostages for 11 Iranians held in the U.S. for various crimes including arms deals; Hillary Clinton balked and refused. The siblings of the hikers have put up a website, with a petition and a video plea (after the jump) asking for YouTube submissions to give the kids "strength" while in captivity -- though it seems doubtful that they have YouTube access.

The mothers of these three have not heard one word from their children. What would you do if it was one of your children.

Please write your congressmen, Hilary Clinton, Tweet it on Twitter, go sign their petition . .set up a fundraiser. . this needs to get into the news. . and it needs all of our attention.
    Here is just one article that I found tonight. . there has not been all that much press but I will keep shouting it as loud as I can .. . till these kids are home.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-new … ck_check=1

1. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not being American  -I have to ask why anyone would choose to 'hike' in a semi-war zone which not only is between two historically warring neighbours but also between the US occupying forces and Iran who are 'facing off'.

I also feel for their mothers but I am sure the kids will be sent home in due course - also Iran will ensure that they are kept safe as they are an asset.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They were hiking there, because they could. The facts are still unknown....I mean truth is unknown, whether or not, these people actually did cross the border.

However, if these people are tried and convicted of the crimes IRAN is claiming....then we have a problem. smile

1. profile image0

Hmmmm  could does not mean should.

That's just like "SHOULD" you be opening your mouth?

No, but you can "COULD", for which, you feel is your right to do so. Well, these kids were hiking. roll

2. profile image0
      sophsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't even know about this, I will sign it and Facebook it! smile

2. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i don't understand why this is taking so long. when those journalists from Al Gore's network were imprisoned by N. Korea, Bill Clinton went right over there and talked them into releasing them.

i signed the petition. i'll do the other things you recommended, although i don't use Twitter anymore.

wavegirl22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks Cosette . .it just makes me so frustrated for these families . . and there isnt anything we can do except keep them in our prayers and let them know we support them  . . and signing the petition is doing exactly that .. .thanks for coming by here  . .whenever I post this it amazes me how the same few come in. . and you are always one of them . . cant thank you enough for that. . at least i know i am not talking to myself!

3. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Wavegirl22
    I already signed the petition ans shared it on facebook. the petition link is a permanent part of me E-Mail signature and will stay until they come home.
    I will help push this thread along because it is such a deserving story.

Ohma. . what a great idea to make it a permanent part of our E-Mail signature and will stay until they come home. I am going to tweet that one. . .I know the families will like that we are trying. . .way to go. . thanks!

4. TheGlassSpider profile image65
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

What a terrible situation this is. I feel so sad for these hikers and their families; I cannot imagine the pain and anguish this is causing them.

However, I can also see why Ms. Clinton balked at the idea of trading criminals for hostages. When you give in to such demands, you're letting people like this win. Those hikers have done nothing wrong and we MUST force Iran somehow to release them without giving into their desires. We cannot allow them to think that they can do this sort of thing whenever they want and get away with it.

I only wish I had a suitable solution to the problem. The world can be so complicated sometimes. I agree that letters to government officials need to be written--we cannot let our people be forgotten...and perhaps someone has an idea about what could be done.

Wave, it is a good thing that you are keeping this situation current!

TheGlassSpider.  .I agree with you . .we cant trade these kids for people they are demanding we trade for. . .we all know what can happen when we do that. . but the media here in the US needs to blast it on the news every night instead of the BS we are usually subject to.

This needs to be heard and spoken about and then again until these kids come home. .

I want to do a Hub on Evin Prison where they are being held. . but the horrors of reading about it . . are hard enough I just cant imagine  what they are going through at this very minute. . .

thanks for reading and joining in here.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image65
        TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are absolutely correct. This ought to be shouted from every rooftop until these poor people are home.

I wish you much luck with the writing of your Hub! I will make sure to tell everyone I can about this situation. Perhaps together all our voices can be heard loud and clear.

Let us pray and work so that these children come home to their families soon.

5. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

This is the first time I have been made aware of this, I will gladly sign a petition and make others aware of this horrific situation.

B.C. whatever you can do . .whomever you can make aware of it. . everyone of us helps. . .

1. profile image0
        B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have already cut and pasted your post , put it into an email,, and sent it to everyone I know..near and far that does not come to hubpages and who also might be unaware of what has happened.
        I am shocked our government has done nothing more to bring these children back. as a mother myself, I am in tears, I only have one child , but regardless if I had 10 children and one of those abducted and missing children were mine, I do not think I could even handle such a situation.
        All I can do now is keep them in my thoughts and light 3 candles every night for the missing.
        Please keep me updated, I am not one to watch the news often and I still can not believe they are not making this a top priority..I feel bad that it took me 7 months just to hear about this.

6. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

as will I

thanks Kimberly!

7. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

smile no you're not talking to yourself. my son likes to travel when school lets out and i know how easily this could be one of our children. thank you for posting this.

thanks Cosette. . . for sure I will be posting more.. i think there are elections tomorrow in Iran .. things for sure are going to get heated up .. .

8. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Signed smile

http://hubpages.com/hub/FREE-THE-HIKERS

Above is the link to Wavegirl's Hub.

thanks Ray . . .

You're welcome smile

2. Ohma profile image61
      Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil Glad you did that for her I should have thought about it.
      By the way I like this avatar much better than the last.

Wavegirl22 can I copy your OP and post it to my Blog?

Is this any better?

Better than the last one? What was wrong with that last one?

I like my angel. I take it you don't like him. smile lol tongue

1. Ohma profile image61

This one is good I just meant I liked the Other ones you use.

I know. I'm only joshing you. smile big_smile tongue

1. Ohma profile image61

K I wasn't sure.
              not to be a thread stealer but can I post a link here to another thread that I started that I would like you to have a look at?
              Gosh am I jabbering? it is late. smile

If it's a forum thread? Yes. You are allowed to post forum threads in other forum threads. smile

1. Ohma profile image61

K I would like you to take a look at this http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/35658#post798713

One step ahead of you. lol lol lol lol

Been there, done that. smile tongue

2. Cagsil profile image70

Btw Ohma, you don't require permission to post a forum piece on your hub. Just to let you know. It's public domain. smile

1. Ohma profile image61

Thanks Cagsil
          I just always like to ask so as not to offend.

3. wavegirl22 profile image49

you can cop anything. . i wrote a whole hub on freeing the hikers . . .too if you want to use that .  .

4. wavegirl22 profile image49

thanks o...

i answered 2 secs ago without seeing what Cags wrote..... I really should wake up before I start posting anything! Or at least have my first cup of coffee;)

Hey Shari, it might be helpful if you have your coffee before attempting to read anything. lol lol lol lol

ha haha you got that right Ray . .and maybe more than one cup and I may need it intravenously today!

Naw......I think you need something else, but I'm not about to get into that in a forum chat.....and trust me, it's has nothing to do with coffee. lol lol lol

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm a sexist male. lol lol lol

9. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

thanks for posting here. I heard something about this the other day on some news show. I didn't catch everything they said, but it caught my attention because I couldn't believe they are still there, they must be so scared.

I'll take a look at your hub.

10. profile image0

It actually scares me to think, I signed papers for my child , who is very intelligent to skip her junior year, take all classes the state wants her to have to take as a junior her senior year and let her graduate a year early, due to my child's birthday being in August, she will graduate at the age of 16 and go to college. She wants to travel the summer she turns 18 ( she is very fluent in many foreign languages and wants to become a biochemist and try to cure disease that so far that have no cure ).She also is an animal and human rights activist already, and I can not fathom her becoming hostage in another country. She has already spoken about doing work for charity in poverty stricken or war torn areas to bring peace and hope to the children there.
    I wish I could do more for these mothers, I am spreading the word and shedding a tear as I try to imagine and put myself in their shoes.
    I am sorry for going a bit off the topic, but if you have any other methods that you can share with us to help, you can sign me up. I would love to hear these kids have come home safe and unharmed.

11. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

this is the latest I could find. checked NYT and CNN and found this on CNN

http://sfist.com/2010/02/10/checking_in … hikers.php

this is dated feb. 10.

good night all~

12. profile image0

I just realized when you sign the petition, do not forget to go to your e-mail and hit the approval link so your signature will count and voice will be heard..

I am now officially signed.

~Kerry

Thank you B.C.

I wouldn't have checked the email account I signed with until tomorrow, if it wasn't for your post. smile

13. Naomi R. Cox profile image58
    Naomi R. Coxposted 14 years ago

I just signed and thanks BC, I didn't know about going to my email and hitting the approval link. So I'm on my way to do that right now.

14. profile image0

your all welcome..I just happened to notice the fine print when I signed the petition...please pass that on  smile

You already passed it on. lol lol smile tongue

15. profile image0

I am fully agreeing with Cagsil on this..we do have a problem..lets just get them back, make that the priority...
    china man, I know you may not be concerned, but we are for our fellow American kid's safety!

1. profile image0

But I am concerned also, as I put in my post. It is unlikely that anything really bad will happen to these kids beyond the hardship of their situation. They will get home in the end - but they have put themselves in the position of being pawns in the International game.

B.C. can you just imagine spending one minute in a place where they are interrogating you as if you were an American spy. They have you in a Prison called Evin. No one is allowed to visit them. Once since their captivity began a Swiss diplomat was allowed to see them . .that was back in Oct. No one has heard or seen them since. They are going to be charged as spies and no one knows when their "trial" will be.

And you say nothing bad is going to happen  to them? Are you kidding.You try spending one moment in this place . http://payvand.com/news/09/sep/1093.html Its so easy sitting safe in your home right now to say they are going through some hardships. Again are you kidding.

Before you so non nonchalantly make such a statement please read what and why this is happening to Josh, Sarah and Shane

and here you can sign the petition http://freethehikers.org/?page_id=345

1. prettydarkhorse profile image54
          prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Shari I will sign in there for the petition,

Morning CAGSIL

thanks Pretty

and good morning Cags

Hey Wavegirl,

What's up lady? smile How are you doing today? big_smile

2. Cagsil profile image70

Hey PDH,

How are you today? I hear you're getting more SNOW? lol lol lol lol

1. prettydarkhorse profile image54
              prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

YES more snow CAGS, its cold BTW, is it snowing there??

It snowed last night about 1-3 inches, but nothing more. smile

2. profile image0

I did consider just leaving this as it is clearly an emotional issue. But the post from Cagsil that I should shut my mouth makes a reply necessary.

To reiterate, I did express my genuine concern for these students and I did not make a 'nonchalant' statement - I gave my considered opinion that they will be kept safe and returned home - which is a positive comment I think.

I have been in this kind of area in the past, but I was paid to be there, accepted the risk, and was fully aware of the consequences of my position. I find it hard to understand why they would choose to 'hike' in the disputed border areas between Iraq and Iran - which are clearly and openly militarised. These students must have been warned of the dangers as they will have needed visas to enter Iraq.

Unless I am missing something here, any hardships they are facing now they have brought on themselves. But as I say they will be used as bargaining assets and as such they are unlikely to be harmed, which is another positive opinion.

16. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Good Morning everyone!
    I posted Your Op to my Blog I hope you like it.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/35730

Hey Ohma, check it out?

Good morning. smile How are you today? smile

2. wavegirl22 profile image49

Ohma -
      YOU ROCK!

It looks amazing  . .. thank you so very much. I love the whole idea of what you have done and later when I get home (yes I am at work now) I am going to link your blog to mine!!!

And I am going to twit your blog too!!!

17. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Cagsil
    the OP to your new thread has been deleted!

Yeah, I know, but as I said in that forum...it doesn't really matter, because the second person to respond to the thread was PrettyDarkHorse and she QUOTED my OP, so it really doesn't matter. smile

18. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Yep I just dont understand why!

Wave girl sorry to steall your thread I will stop now smile

I don't think Shari would mind. lol lol

Ohma- Cags is right. . .I do not mind one bit . .and again I thank you for being here and doing whatever it is you can. .. we may be few but it is a few more than when the kids woke up this morning!

19. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

This probably won't be too popular, but you'd think Berkeley students would have learned from the last "innocents" that got picked up hiking in that area, or the ones before those, etc.

I certainly sympathize with the parents having to endure this angst and misery caused by the foolishness and/or recklessness of their kids, but I don't think the U.S. as a nation should consider turning out a bunch of thugs and assassins just because those three made very bad decisions.  The whole "negotiating with terrorists" thing is already sticky and fraught with nasty gray area as it is; having morons marching into harm's way on purpose is inches short of giving aid to the enemy.

20. profile image0

I gave all of this information to my daughter via email ( I am currently stuck in snow trying to get to my vacation ) anyway, she is taking it to the highschool she goes to , giving it to al the teachers, her friends, many of the clubs, and leaving a stack of info on how to help and sign the petition that she printed on a flier on the lunch tables.
    Hopefully , the kids at her school will see themselves in this story and take action. many of them, especially the seniors I know want to travel to other countries before starting college in the fall.
    I do not know how much one small highschool can do to make an impact, but hopefully they will be heard. The voices of our children will speak out for those who have been abducted and are missing.

excellent B.C. that was a great idea .. .one school turns into a whole district. . and this is how word gets out.

Many many thanks from me and I know Sarah, Josh and Shane's family thanks you!

21. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Thanks wavegirl
    Little drops of water eventually carved the Grand Canyon.I wonder if there would be anyway to start a petition og our own to send to Lady Clinton? "Writers of Hubberville Unite"

i like that idea . . .where do we begin????

22. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

or maybe i should have asked ,  ,are we allowed???

23. PegCole17 profile image93
    PegCole17posted 14 years ago

I tweeted your link to the story about the hikers yesterday. Thought I had posted that here but can't find it. Just wanted to let you know you have support for this cause. And thanks for the nice fan mail! I'll be following your updates too.

I saw it Peg . . and tweeted it too!!! Thanks .. these kids need to come home!!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)