"China urges US to cancel meeting with Dalai Lama": Yahoo!

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (22 posts)
  1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image59
    fishskinfreak2008posted 14 years ago

Web-site/URL: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100212/ap_ … dalai_lama

Nearly 2 years after the latest flare-up involving the Tibetan spiritual leader, CHINA is still going after him. CHINA IS TOO AGGRESSIVE.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i don't get that. he seems like such a nice guy...

2. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I saw that too.  I do not think he will.

2. Sab Oh profile image55
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

Nothing new here. China always goes through these motions when the Dalai Lama is due to visit.

1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image59
      fishskinfreak2008posted 14 years agoin reply to this

China is always aggressive when it doesn't get its way like say, we're in a GLOBAL financial crisis and yet, CHINA insists that they will achieve 9 or 10% growth this year. It's CRAZY because they do it by MANIPULATING NUMBERS.

1. profile image0
        china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing crazy about the numbers - they do it by continuing with a huge building programme that encourages vast numbers of new apartment buildings; also huge spending on infrastructure which includes the new rail link into Tibet and the new road which is more important for them. Also they have a huge domestic market within China which can absorb any over-production, keeps prices down here and makes it easier for the poorer people to get some of the good stuff.

1. Sab Oh profile image55
          Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah yes, the 'Wipe Out Tibetan Culture' rail link! And, while the consumer base is growing, China is and will remain heavily dependent on exports to support all its economic activity (including influence-peddling in Latin America, Africa, and SEA) until what I predict will be a massive correction somewhere not too far down the road. Still, I applaud the growth that may lead to a real middle class that may succeed in forcing political change where peasant revolts and worker demonstrations have thus far failed.

1. profile image0

I thought it was the 'get the tourists up there' rail link which is about the only real income that Tibet gets. It is always possible to look at things in different ways, like trashing Iraq for their own good.

Tibetan culture seems to be alive and well despite the upheavals - and my Tibetan friends are no more unhappy with the situation than my friends from Xingjiang, who are no more unhappy than my friends in Northern Ireland, or my friends in the various American satellite countries.

Shit happens all around the world as the various powers seek advantage and try to make trouble for each other and our own countries have no moral high ground in these things for us to stand on.

If Tibetans are as 'happy' as the Uyghurs its worse than I thought, and deservedly so.

The Tibetans I spoke to when I was there referred to the Han as "pigs," and the Tibetan refugees I've worked with in the states who hiked for weeks across the Himalayas to escape oppression haven't had much better to say.

You don't need to calculate on some moral equivalency scale in order to point out when something is wrong.

3. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

The Media Portrays the "Dalai Lama" as some kind of saint.  He's just another in a long line of power hungry leaders.  There is nothing special about him.

Counter Point:

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/engli … 42058.html

http://www.newspiritualbible.com/index2

China is an Anti God Country. They are a communist regime.  Why Americans suddenly are singing their praises is astounding to me.

China does not represent freedom and neither does the Dalai Lama. They both enforce their view on the people.

"China is an Anti God Country"

I wouldn't go that far.

"They are a communist regime"

More in name than practice at this point.

"They both enforce their view on the people"

If you want to get philosophical, so does pretty much everyone.

2. profile image0

Americans are singing their praises because they are lending you the money for Obama's initiative thing, and they have bought up ailing companies that would further damage your economy if they go under. As they have in the UK.  Also it is quite likely that China will be taking over as the biggest economy before very long so best to buddy up I think - and actually that is a good idea anyway.

And from where I stand America and the UK ceased to represent freedom a long time ago, somewhere between the Vietnam 'war' and the trashing of Iraq on a pack of lies and deception of their 'free' people.

4. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

"An anti-god country"
    Good, one less pile of baloney to argue about!

1. profile image0

Well - sorry to disappoint but a good many people here do believe in a god. Contrary to the general belief almost all the different religions are followed it is only hard selling the stuff that is proscribed - yet another Chinese law that gets my approval. Luckily Buddhism is by far the most favoured spritual bag. although actually most Chinese have a very healthy attitude toward it all, they let off firecrackers before most meals to drive away evil spirits - that they talk about as bad luck, no ghostie ghoulies, but they do have a very healthy respect for Halloween and honour the ancestors by cleaning off the graves and leaving 'spirit food' in representative little bowls, also burning specially printed money for the dead so the old man can buy his fags - just in case there is another side, as my delightful Chinese partner tells it. All in all I don't think you would generally object to their god, no hellfire, no damnation, and no flagellation of choir boys etc.

"they let off firecrackers before most meals to drive away evil spirits"

MOST meals? That's overstating it a bit

" I don't think you would generally object to their god, no hellfire, no damnation"

I think you need to look into it a bit more

1. profile image0

Sorry for the slip - I meant to put ' at this time' - we are in the Chinese New Year week.

What do you mean about their god, I write it as I see it living here and meeting people in the city and in the village and that is what I see - what did you see when you were here that is different ?

If you look into traditional Chinese portrayals of hell you will find that they would have made Dante blush.

1. profile image0

save me the research - maybe you can explain it for me. I get all my information from the people around me who I know well - and I can say with confidence that they would have no idea about any hell. Even the Christians among them are actually more like Buddhists in their thinking and see quite clearly that these things are just representations and of little interest.

5. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

China is China. The "Dalai Lama" is the "Dalai Lama". People are people. You are you. I am me. What doesn't directly affect me I try not to have an opinion on. Namaste

1. profile image0

I think that is generally how the old chap himself sees it also. Namaste

2. Sab Oh profile image55

"What doesn't directly affect me I try not to have an opinion on"

The Nazis would have loved you

6. IntimatEvolution profile image67
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

Christians, should be more Buddha-like; here, there, everywhere.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)