Feelings Are a Terrible Guide to Telling You What is Right

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (60 posts)
  1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
    AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

OK, let me be a bit more specific.

Feelings can sometimes be a good guide to telling you whether your beliefs are true or not.

But to rely solely on your feelings to determine this is insanity.

This relates to the religious debates on this site. Feeling that a belief is true is one thing, but believing because your feeling is strong, even when logic tells you otherwise, is quite another...

But this is true in life more generally.

Often, we feel something is wrong, when it is not! A lot of people have sexual hangups because of this, for example.

Or we may "feel" that Sarah Palin, or Barack Obama, are good people with lots of common sense... even though there might be evidence to the contrary.

Please send your answers on a postcard smile

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

too many people follow their feelings, which can sometimes lead to disappointment, or even disaster.

1. h.a.borcich profile image61
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can think of a few "feelings" to support that thought...
        The married person who "couldn't help falling for a coworker". Maybe they were"feeling" lonley, and just wanted to "feel" better.
        The child who "felt" angry and beat another kid half to death.
        When we navigate thru life guided by emotions without checking with our brains and values - it is wrong. And ends up in disaster with a part of ourself and others wounded. Just a thought, Holly smile

2. Galadriel Arwen profile image69
      Galadriel Arwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am not sending you a postcard because it cost money. Obviously if you are telling people not to trust their feelings, you do not understand the psyche of the human mind.
      When a person is raised with "Morals or Beliefs," they have an active super ego and are well aware of the community rules of "right" vs "wrong. The Super-ego manifests in your feelings about things.
      Sigmund Freud's human "feeling" or thinking construct indicates that child like spontaneous part of the psyche is the "id"; the organized realistic part of the psyche is the "ego," and the critical and moralizing function the "super-ego." When we, as humans think about something we have all 3 parts in action. With proper use of the "Super-Ego" you remember "Cause and Effect" events in your past and are able to feel your way into making the right decision for yourself. The only reason a person should not trust their "feeling" is if they are under the influence of psyche altering drugs.

AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're an elf, so what do you know tongue

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image63

Well, naturally, I am not telling people anything. They can do what they want.

As for not trusting their feelings, the comment immediately above mine, right now, says it all -- you cannot ALWAYS trust your feelings.

As for Freud, while much of what Freud wrote was, well, wrong (and later revised by himself), one thing was clear... he didn't think conscious explanation of your own feelings were particularly reliable... which sounds spot on

3. vox vocis profile image82
      vox vocisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Feelings are often our greatest enemies. Intuition can tell us whether something is right or wrong, but strong feelings and passions can definitely take us down. That's why we often say: ''Think twice before you say sth or make a decision'' or ''Cool down before you do sth.'' A mature person knows that one of the biggest and most important challenges of life is to control feelings.

4. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
      LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Feelings are wonderful....but, they are not a compass for action or the lack thereof... Feelings should be anchored and governed by standards and convictions.

You can feel like socking your boss in the eye, but the common sense standard should prevent you from doing so and provide you with an outlet for those feelings.....

The same is true for any other feeling.....

Footnote: Religious beliefs cannot stand if they are rooted and supported by feelings....feelings leave and change......and, if all you have to support your faith is a feeling, you will fall

Faith should be grounded in fact that you can attach yourself to. smile

2. profile image0
    WizardOfOzposted 14 years ago

You could be right.  Then again, you could be wrong, right?

The hardest part is forcing yourself to rely on logic and rationality even when you don't "feel like it" smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess that would really depend on factors, for which, are unknown. smile

3. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

Im not feeling this....

4. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

BTW, your looking kinda sad today, everything alright?

5. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

There have been so many times when my feelings have led me in the right direction, but there have been many times when my feelings have gotten me into a huge mess.

The same with logic.

So, the real question here is: When do we rely on our feelings and when do we rely on our logic? Is there any way to know?

1. Cagsil profile image70

Believe it or not, there is a way to tell the difference, as long as you have knowledge and understanding(wisdom) of life. smile

Maybe that is the *definition* of wisdom

1. profile image0
          Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

the nasty thing about wisdom, is 90 percent of it comes from learning from your mistakes.

2. Cagsil profile image70

I am of the understanding that emotions are not right or wrong. Each emotion is a reactionary results of cause and effect. smile To logic and rationale, emotions have no standard or level of right or wrong. The only thing that can be right or wrong is action. smile

1. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
            Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. In some situations, logic and feelings have to walk hand in hand. So, in those situations, what do you listen to? Even past mistakes can teach you the wrong thing to believe. There are no black and white answers.

That is what you've been taught and my understanding comes from what I was taught. big_smile No argument necessary. You are more than welcome to believe what you think you know is right. smile

2. profile image0

mmmm...good point, but what about when a person means 'feelings' as more of an intuition, rather than emotion.

What do you think is "intuition"? It is your inner-self telling you....or trying to guide you, as to what is right or wrong. It's not a feeling, but your sense of life trying to talk to you. smile

1. profile image0

yup. smile
                what I meant is, people dont always mean emotion, when they say “feeling”.  vocabulary issues..

True enough. smile

3. AdsenseStrategies profile image63

But we definitely experience emotions often as *seeming* to be 'right' or 'wrong', and that's the tricky part, because they can fool us (of course, noone has perfect rationality either, naturally, so we can be fooled by that too, if it is 'faulty')

The only thing you really need to know is that you are human and accept the fact that you are going to make mistakes from time to time, but never let emotions dictate any action. It only makes for a complete mess. smile

6. whiteorchids profile image60
    whiteorchidsposted 14 years ago

I feel it and  understand it, making complete sense often times we do rely on feelings instead of thinking things through which can cause conflict with others, allowing our emotions and feelings to become involved.

7. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

Wisdom? Understanding of life? Even the very wise have made mistakes in their feelings and their logic. Try again please.

8. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
    AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

Perhaps a solution is to get a damn sight more education in logic and rationality, ie, critical thinking, than most of us get. I think that the issue of the 'faultiness' of emotions would be far less important if we had more of this sort of education.

Of course, there are always circumstances and factors we do not understand in a situation, which has an effect on the effectiveness of our decisions also

Emotions are faults. They are part of who you are and how you manage or handle your emotions, helps define who you are as a person. If you're unable to manage or handle your own emotions, then something is missing?

The circumstance and factors you speak of, would be known, if you were able to integrate your thoughts and evalue properly the events happening. smile

No, emotions are not faults (if you are asking me if I think that they are faults.) But they are a bit of a leaky boat if used alone, without rationality (or common sense), to make a decision... but then, so is logic -- hardly a perfect tool either, in any case. Other people's input is often also important in making a good decision too of course.

Mmm, I'm a big believer in the idea that we are pretty fallibe. Take Obama. Maybe some of his mistakes are malicious. But doubtless some of them are due to his inability to read, or know, all factors of a situation also

There are a lot of facts to a great many things for which humankind doesn't know and then again, there is a lot of knowledge for which has been kept from the mainstream society, because if given to mainstream of society, when not properly introduced in a manner that easily understood, then more confusion can happen as a result. smile

Just a thought. smile

...with which I agree (and HOW) smile

9. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

My experience is that "feelings" are often a kind of "faith." Faith is a belief or hope in something we "feel" but don't necessarily "see." Hence, faith in God. Those who believe have faith in something they cannot see.

However, as I have lived through a lot of deceptions and regretted being deceived, I have what I call the "Santa Clause Syndrome." As children we were told to believe in Santa. At Christmas we can still buy crap with the word "believe" on it. We out grow this, usually and to many it's no big deal. But to me it was. The first thing I did at age 10.5, being the last kid to NOT believe in Santa, who, when finding out it was all a pretty lie, concluded quickly the same about God. What's the difference, I thought? None, I concluded.

However, as I have lived for 5 decades, there is something to feelings, in understanding and comprehending things you cannot see for sure, but still have evidence that they probably exist. Intuition is a part of it. I've concluded (for now...it's all in flux and keeps evolving) that we get certain clues about things--anything, and those clues allow us to form beliefs about that particular thing.

I've seen a few small miracles. Couldn't explain it, still don't know how to. But I believe that it's partly within us as our innate power of "being", and partly, for some reason, the incredible complexities of the universe, which I don't pretend to understand. But there is some power that is greater than us, not sure what it is, that makes this universe alive, dynamic and moving at all times. And we're a part of it.

So, although I tend to believe that we need to be rational and pragmatic in our approach to so many things in life to avoid the deceptions, fakes, and harsh lessons, I also believe that we need to get to our core self where we are innately at peace and draw on that as a part of the equation. That sounds very ethereal and unreliable in a larger sense, but for me, personally, it works.

We are not naturally beings of logic alone. Otherwise we wouldn't be so emotionally geared and volatile. I think there needs to be a mix of both, based on facts and clues. The best answers to questions, the best choices are usually made from a place of inner peace, not in a moment of high emotional volatility, or during a crisis or panic. Those are the times we are the least likely to be rational or know how to connect with our inner self.

My thoughts on the subject, anyway.

1. profile image0

thats why I never told my kids santa was real. most parents I know think Im awful and deprive my kids part of thier childhood. I FEEL that they are wrong.

10. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Yeah, well, I can relate to this one. Relying on feelings alone can be dangerous. Heck, if I went out and slugged down a bottle of wine because I FEEL like it will make me better, I'll be off the wagon for sure. Even though it FEELS good, it's not necessarily good for you. Emotions get in the way too, you know. If we don't use logic & common sense then what happens? Crash landing! Boom! Can't tell you how many times I've crashed & burned because I relied on the FEELING or emotion I was having at the moment....oh, it feeels so good.....it can't be wrong. Sure, and a chicken has lips, too.  How do we, as humans with emotions, learn to rely on common sense, logic, rationality, AND emotions/feelings? There's a balance there, but unfortunately I'm not wired to use them in balance. Lot's of people aren't. Some folks seem to be overloaded with logic, coming across as "cold & unfeeling". Out of balance? There's no right or wrong answer here. I know one thing for sure. If I didn't rely on my "gut feeling" sometimes, like in my job, I'd make some bad choices for people.  On the other hand, in my personal life, if I'd listened to my "gut feeling", I could have saved myself some heartache. So here's to bashing myself for screwing up in life by letting feelings guide me....

1. profile image0

No bashing!! You cant undo anything...gotta just try to figure out what went wrong and try a different approach next time. thats life. You NEVER stop learning. PS good for you, staying 'on the wagon.' smile

I think donotfear just pointed out a possible difference between "being guided by your feelings" and "listening to your gut". Anyone care to comment? Do you think there's a valid distinction to be made there?

1. profile image0

i agree, see previous comments. smile  but you should still not bash yourself for past mistakes.

11. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Emotions are separate from your Sense of Life. smile

Did you (or someone else) comment that emotions and feelings are separate things? Care to elaborate, as that sounds interesting

Feelings is too broad a term and can be relevant to a lot of things.

Emotions, crying, anger, sadness, happiness and others are a result of action, either your own action or someone else.

Your individual sense of life, consists of your awareness(consciousness), sub-consciousness and your conscience, working together as one.

Emotions are described as feelings.

Sense of life is described as "gut" instinct or "intuition" in the case of women. smile

12. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

As an emotionless robot, I am forced to agree.

Who or What are you in agreement with? smile

13. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

isnt feelings are a by product of thinking and how you perceived things tells you to do plus values you put into it and plus gut

Yes, I would say that "values" are in some way distinct from feelings. But where do we get our "values." How do we know our values are right?

1. profile image0

do your values harm others?

If you're individual values harm others then your values are immoral. Hence, bad. smile

1. profile image0

that was my point. exactly.
            right vs wrong in the tricky realm of feelings....how DID I end up here?

2. prettydarkhorse profile image55
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

values are shared at times in a society, religious values is one

1. profile image0

personal values, are different. I promise, there are people, with a messed up sense of 'value'.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
            prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes there are shared values in a society but then individual values is more specific to you, like personal, thnaks justine for that

1. profile image0

smile ive dated some odd people...

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image63

That is not true. Religious values can differ widely, even in the same religion... even in the same denomination. For example, I have known Pentecostals who think it is wrong to drink, and others who think it is fine in moderation.

I have known other evangelicals who thought it was wrong to dance, and others, belonging to the same congregation, who thought it was fine

3. Cagsil profile image70

Sorry PDH. There is no value in religious belief. There is value in the code of ethics taught by religion, but that's about it. smile

14. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

and values can be learned too from parents, soical environments, upbringing etc values are basis of laws

15. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

A post Jungian view would be that thinking or logic needs feeling to balance the thinking, so the feeling function along with intuition could form part of the proper process of thinking. smile

16. profile image54
    atullianposted 14 years ago

Hello,  i am new at this. i think it is all very interesting but does it really matter?
    Are we really anything more than animals calling our species Humans?
    As humans we hold ourselves up as the better, smarter, entitled of the world. We convince ourselves that we are the top of the food chain.
    Morality is subjective, controling laws make it objective.
    Feelings can be distorted by physical problems, mental problems.
    Ultimately it is everyman for himself and the instinct to survive or not, makes us all do, say and be what we are.

17. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Rationality has its place and so do feelings.

18. profile image54
    atullianposted 14 years ago

perhaps, but WHO determines what is rational?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)