What is a redneck?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (47 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

One of A Texan's posts has me wondering...am I a redneck?? What is a redneck, really?

1. profile image0
      pinkyleeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha i'm a redneck lmao ... i dont know what classifies anyone as a redneck but it comes in part to having a tan neck but white back and chest.. usually the lower arms are tan too... farmers tan heck idk lol

Redneck is a disparaging:
      [1] term that refers to a person who is stereotypically Caucasian and of lower social-economic status in the United States, particularly referring to those living in rural areas. Originally limited to the Southern United States,:
      [2] and then to Appalachia,[3] the term has become widely used throughout North America.

i looked it up cuz you got me wondering too lol  i found it on wikipedia lol and based on the def i am a redneck lmao

2. figment profile image75
      figmentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm from Texas, but lived in Mississippi for 15 years.  Go to Mississippi and compare yourself to those REDNECKS.  You're probably just a hick

2. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

I get one when I stay out in the sun too long....roll

(this topic could get heated too...! wink)

1. profile image0

yes it could and i do too

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

But after I saw a few episodes of "My Big Redneck Wedding," I discovered that there are rednecks all over the US! They're not restricted to the South.

1. profile image0

haha yup there are ... i have been in arizona almost a month now and we saw what we call the redneck truck(covered in mud) and i was like heck yeah thats what i'm talking bout .. personally i like "rednecks" compared to barbies and kens lol

4. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

http://www.moneyshareforum.com/style_emoticons/default/eat.gif

1. profile image0

love the emoticon

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Skyfire, you're funny! I like funny.

6. Faybe Bay profile image64
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

My first husband used to call me a hillbilly. I have always been proud of the fact of my roots. I will find my Grandpa's song about our clan sometime and put it in a hub. At any rate, habee you know what a redneck is, you've seen The Dukes of Hazzard. Boss Hogg and the deputy, Cletus was it? they were rednecks.

1. profile image0

omg i love that movie! im from the south as well and damn proud if it lol ... terry picks on me too bout my accent and all but hey i love it

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always consider being called a "redneck" (and I've been called that as well as "hillbilly") a compliment too.
      No matter how the other person says it.

'Cause I is proud 'a' bein' a hillbilly, really.
      Hillbillies kinda make their own rules of eddikit and pernunciation.  Hay, why not?!  We'uns' have the same rights to air upinions as eenywon elss.

(I'm being honest and truthful.)

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Pinky, I just fanned you! I read a couple of your hubs earlier, and I think I commented on at least one of them.

1. profile image0

ty habee

8. Faybe Bay profile image64

I have a picture my uncle sent of a Redneck Christmas, But I don't know how to put it in here

1. profile image0

[img]url link[/img] no spaces though

9. Faybe Bay profile image64

Okay My new profile image is Redneck Christmas. I hope you'r still here, because I can't go anywhere dressed like this

10. Faybe Bay profile image64
    1. profile image0

thats awesome

1. Faybe Bay profile image64
        Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, think I should change before anyone notices me?

1. profile image0

lol iffen ya want

11. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

Habee here are Jeff Foxworthy's funniest answers to your question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaJwT40m24U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raua57alEL4

12. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

A redneck is me. I realize its supposed to be an insult, but I dont really care. I am damn proud of who I am, and where I am from.
    I have been barefoot and pregnant, with pride, 3 times.
    I love camo. I own a gun. I have once owned a lawn tractor, held together by duct tape. I spend my summers helpign hubby cut, split and stack fire wood. We raise our own chickens for eggs and food. You should see the people from the new housing development, driving by in their saabs, stare on butchering day....
    Four wheeling is fun, even better if you get stuck. In the words of Gretchen Wilson, I work hard, I PLAY HARDER.

13. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/pictures/regulars/Cletus1.gif
    Some folks'lll never eat a skunk
    But then again, some folks'll
    Like Cletus, the slack-jawed yokel
    Most folks'll never lose a toe
    But then again, some folks'll
    Like Cletus, the slack-jawed yokel

14. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

I consider most of the people in my home state of Vermont, way up north, to be rednecks. I use to fit the redneck brand perfectly.

Drove around in a pickup with a rifle in the back window. Covered myself in camouflage and hunted with a bow. Camped out in the back of my pickup. Dressed all the time in black and red hunting jacket. smile

I guess anyone who lives in the country could be called rednecks. City folks call anyone outside the city rednecks. But yeah, they usually are white folks. smile

15. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Yep....Redneck.  visit Roy D Mercer in his virtual doublewide and click on the links to hear what a real redneck sounds like.

http://www.roydmercer.com/main.htm

16. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I first heard this word when I was watching "The Family Guy" -- some kind of people who love their trucks and have guns and then sit outside their houses with their sofa?? Is it a negative or a postive stereotypes??

1. Bill Manning profile image69
      Bill Manningposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh it's definitely a negative stereotype prettydarkhorse. It means your a bit uneducated, don't do anything but sit around and drink beer and shoot anything that moves!

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I AM uneducated.I DO own a gun. I have an old van seat outside, for sitting by the bonfire, I am white. Im not worried about the fact that somebody (like my mother or sister) might consider these to be reasons to look down on me.
        PrettyD, its supposed to be an insult.
        I think it would be, if  I let it.

hey Bill. Hunting coats n camo, thats hot.  wink

1. Bill Manning profile image69
          Bill Manningposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. If I get invited to your bonfire I'll be sure to wear my hunting coat with my camo pants, lol! wink

1. profile image0

lol just bring whiskey.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh my, but they are not all like that right? hmmmmm, How about here in TX, are there many rednecks here? never benn out and about only at DALLS

17. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

"I'm a redneck..I got scars on my knuckles...
    I'm a redneck...wearing big shiny buckles...
    I'm a redneck...dating "honky-tonk" queens...
    I'm a redneck...!"

Well.... I tried to find out who sung this 'un...way back in the '70's...but it seems to be buried in the "way back whens" on the internet...back past Gretchen Wilson's "Redneck Woman"....However...this song described perfectly what a "redneck" is....Yeee-Haaa!

18. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

http://mylifeisepic.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/aaajj_hillbilly.jpg

"Un-educatered"...Them there is fightin' wurdz!

19. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Well, I got me a shotgun and two big ol' dogs. I like fishin' and huntin', and we have us a pick-em-up truck. But I gots me a college edumercation! I used to couldn't spell college gradjut - now I are one!

20. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Ive decided I ain't a Redneck just a long haired country boy.

1. profile image0
      StormRyderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You made a good choice wink

2. tantrum profile image62
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yikes

sad

lol

21. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

Oopsidaisy;  there's a typogeraffical errer....or sum kinda errer in that last post.... 

That should say

"'Cause I AM proud 'a' bein' a hillbilly,....."

Not IS.   Silly me.  wink

1. manlypoetryman profile image82
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks fer going back...and doin' sum of that there fancy..."ED-N-TIN", Brenda...It makes a hole lot'ta more sense now.  Shoot dang...the other was like leaving the flour out'ta the corn-bread!

2. profile image0

lol
      thats what happens when wimmen be out the kitchen....
      lol

22. profile image0

haha manlypoetryman and Justine76!

y'all is fun!

23. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

Ask Jeff Foxworthy, he'll tell you.

One of my favorites. If your father walks you to school because you are in the same grade. You might be a redneck.

If you stare at a carton of orange juice because it says concentrate. You might be a redneck.

A new one.

If your grandmother comes out of the bathroom and says "Yaw come in here and take a look at this sucker before I flush it."
    You might be a redneck.

If people come to your house every day thinking your having a yard sale. You might be a red neck.

If your outdoor furniture, is also your living room furniture.

I could go on. But, you get the point.

Another good one, if you go to the dentist because your tooth hurts, and you only have one tooth. You might be a redneck.

24. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

A redneck was originally a common worker living in the USA and of Anglo-Saxon or Anglo-Celtic linage. The redness of the neck especially the back of the neck comes from the performance of hard work out in the open. Over time redneck came to mean someone white, pig ignorant and racist.

25. profile image0

Yup, Rod.

That was another one of those liberal twistings of definitions.
    It's getting even more common these days for our dictionaries to contain hogwash perpetuated by liberals.

26. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

I've been called a redneck, a hillbilly, a hick, and a river rat many times. Most people don't use it as an insult though. Around here, it's a compliment, a way of life. When I think of rednecks, hillbillies, hicks, and river rats; I think of people who are resourceful, people who know how to survive without having much, people who work hard and know how to have fun while they're doing it. I'm proud to be called a redneck smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)