Life after Death

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (69 posts)
  1. webismine profile image58
    webismineposted 15 years ago

It is still a mystery that where the soul goes after death. What do you believe/guess/imagine/assume on this???

1. guidebaba profile image59
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There is no life after death. Earn as much money as you can in the life you have got and be happy.

Cheers !!!

1. topstuff profile image61
        topstuffposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Cheers

1. mohitmisra profile image60
          mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Work on your soul which is priceless,no amount of money in the world is worth it.

2. Inspirepub profile image72
      Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Soul? What "soul"?

The Bible - in its original languages - does not refer to an immortal soul. Only to the "spirit" - the breath of life - which departs when we stop breathing. That means that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, were they true to their origins, would not have the concept of an immortal soul.

Buddhists don't believe in souls, either, as far as I know.

Hindus don't believe it goes anywhere, either, it stays right here, being born again.

Between those major religions and the atheists, I think we have covered the vast majority.

My question would be much more interesting. Where does the Universe go after I die?

Jenny

Hindus don't believe it goes anywhere, either, it stays right here, being born again.
        The idea of life is to break free from this cycle-moksha
        Buddhists don't believe in souls, either, as far as I know.
        Same for the Buddhists-Not coming back is where the effort is made.The Death point.
        Spirit and soul where the Christians are conserned is the same thing.

My question would be much more interesting. Where does the Universe go after I die?
          This the Buddha refused to answer.I have metioned it before it is a different dimension where this dimension ceases to exist.

2. webismine profile image58
        webismineposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wow, lot of thoughts and opinions on my question!!!

Thanks Jenny. I did not know the difference between soul and spirit smile

It will be the soul is the spirit and the supersoul will be the holy spirit or God.smile

3. blogdigz profile image57
        blogdigzposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Nice question.

My doubt:
        Is it only the breathing air or the soul leaves the body when we die???

Your breath is considered the vehicle for your soul, breath is the connection between you or your soul and God.

The Egyptians,some Hindus and Rastafarians would smoke tobacco or marijuana as they believedit linked them to the other world.The saying "holy smoke"

3. profile image0
      HeartBreakerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

well, soul never dies...it just goes back to where it belongs...your soul is not yours...you just borrowed it...and when it is time to give it back...you have nothing to do with it...you only have your body...physically..
      so cherish every moment you have....
      you can't get back what soon you will lose

4. profile image49
      Infinity2000posted 15 years agoin reply to this

After death, the soul journeyed to a new stage of " living " without a physical body.Maybe, the soul mingle with the living,earthly world.

1. Andrew0208 profile image56
        Andrew0208posted 15 years agoin reply to this

It should not be a mystery, Why? This is a real life you already have in you. It's far beyond the soul! When you live from the inside, not sensory perceptions and consideration of circumstances. The good thing about this life is, you have the abilities to influence and change any situation. In this Spirit life, nothing is impossible! What else? I feed my spirit with the scriptures!

2. SparklingJewel profile image66
        SparklingJewelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It is my belief that some wounded aspects of soul (that believe a separation from God) do mingle with living souls. And that they can be prayed for to assist them to "find their place in the heaven worlds" and not mingle around with the living. It is better for them (the soul) if they get to the "Light of the heaven world".But sometimes souls get stuck here because they believe they need to fix something, get something right with someone that is still alive, or they get lost in the astral planes because they didn't " learn how to go on into the heaven worlds" (such as what the Buddhists teach).

It is all very interesting, but can be a concern. prayer is the answer smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I agree with guidebaba - life after death is an oxymoron. This is it - enjoy big_smile

1. weblog profile image57
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

smile

3. mohitmisra profile image60
    mohitmisraposted 15 years ago

Death is the door to God, home, the source, the Light.One must be desireless at the moment of death,the last breaths.The last breath being the let go.

There is also the aspect of coming back.The enlightened ones-have died -become one with the light and have come back.:)He is a dead man walking.

4. patnamohan profile image57
    patnamohanposted 15 years ago

Do you feel this is worthwhile to discuss...life after death!!!!!!!

A very intelligent question.

Death comes to you in the middle of the night,
      Or sweeps you away in broad daylight.

Thie being mans biggest doubt,
      Death is not to be talked about.

A intelligent man prepares for death.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

An intelligent man knows that death can arrive at any moment and lives his life accordingly.

Yes I agree it means the same.

1. mightyone profile image40
            mightyoneposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's kind of weird that the world or a Creator would set us up here to live then die.  That is vainity.  If you are in any kind of religion you ought to know that a God that can control the planet is not vain.  There has to be a purpose.

According to GENESIS we would have all lived forever without the first death had we not sinned in the garden.  So we are dying because of sin - yet after you die you do have something waiting on the other end.  Judgement.  One prepares for death because it can come at anytime.  So one also enjoys his or her current life and live it to the fullest.

Yet one should also prepare or at least investigate if they are woken up and judged by a Being they didn't believe existed.  That's what everyone should do...hedge the bet.

Nah. Hedging the bet is for wimps such as yourself. If that is the basis of your "belief," - I have three syllables - LOL big_smile

There only has to be a purpose if you are so insecure in your life that that fills it.

Death is part of life, and allows more life to come. How vain to think you are more imprtant than that.

This is it  worthlessone. smile

I would think with your gray beard and hair you had some kind of wisdom - when did you fall on your head?  I take it you do not believe in any religion.  So why are you in the religion forum?

big_smile

You are correct. I was given a mission by Dr. Who to disseminate the word.

So, because I do not believe in a religion - I am not allowed an opinion?

Is that correct worthlessone?

Saint mark, Prophet of Roddenberry and all round good guy.

Hey Mark; you are allowed anything - I just asked.  This is a touchy topic for you since you are old as dirt; I can tell because you jumped to name calling on me so quick for my post when I talked about hedging the bet.  But I got no strings against you; I like talking with atheist like you.  It's a better convo than with so-called christians.  Later

mightyone (but to some worthlessone)

2. weblog profile image57

Do you think Mark is breaking the forum rules? Can you spot out? tongue

1. SparklingJewel profile image66

So reiterate and type out here the forum rules again for all to see... smile are they open to interpretation?

2. mightyone profile image40

If he is or not; I don't care - I was just asking to see why he comments on this subject; but I know why.  To me (and I'm merely as smart as the people in this forum), it would be odd to go into a forum on race car driving and tell people not to go to race car events.  But publicity is publicity.

mighty

2. TheCapn profile image62
              TheCapnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's not as simple as merely "hedging the bet". If your god is as smart of a cookie as the Bible says he is, he could probably see right through somebody that is trying to hedge the bet. You can't force yourself to believe in something that you truly don't believe in, there's no choice in the matter. Belief is more than just going through the motions and anyone who claims to believe only because they don't want some sort of eternal punishment will most assuredly be eternally punished if it turns out that there is a god.

Another smart guy trying to talk about  a book he has never read.  Go look up what a covenant is.

1. TheCapn profile image62
                  TheCapnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's right, because you know me and all and know every book that I've read. Way to dismiss my argument without giving it any thought, it's a sure sign that you're interested in having a civil discussion.

I've studied the Bible quite a bit, read it through twice on my own and took some course work related to it. If you actually read the Bible thoroughly you'd see that what I'm saying is right. Pretending to believe when you don't won't fool god. Perhaps you should go look up the definition of belief.

5. guidebaba profile image59
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago

Saint Mark: Let them be religious....Let GOD come and help them out with earning money.....What the hell are these people doing here....They should go and meet God..ask for some good money..Then they won't have to waste their time writing on HP and waiting for the money to come..Cheers !!!!

6. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

No doom and gloom...the soul can soar through the cosmos, evolve and expand for an enternity...as by free will it can choose.
    OR it can shrivel up and be no more... stop evolving  and be regenerated into a new soul... who hopefully will choose to do much more, realize purpose in being and be God experiencing Its Self, and expand God consciousness for the benefit of All Souls.

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Define your death first then wink

8. cjcs profile image59
    cjcsposted 15 years ago

It all boils down to this: either there is some sort of existence following the experience we have here in our corporeal bodies, or there isn't.

If you choose to follow a belief that there is "life after death" and you are wrong and instead die dead, then you have lost nothing except perhaps some effort.  The converse...? Well, that sort of depends on whether or not there is some sort of reckoning following one's corporeal life and what sort of reckoning that might be should a reckoning be in the offing.

Trouble is, there is nothing unambiguously definitive to help us make a rational choice. The only ones who are certain there is a life after death, should such a thing be, are those who "died" and did not return to their bodies--for if they did return, there would always be a doubt as to whether they were true witnesses or simply delusional.

One thing that confuses me are those who say that they believe in a blissful eternity, and yet they still fear death.  Sounds like they don't really believe.  Then again, if you do truly believe, the only reason not to off yourself is some arbitrary theological restriction that prevents the purchase of an advance ticket to paradise.

Fact of the matter is that the need for there to be an afterlife is important to us on both a personal level, as it gives us some sort of comfort, and on a societal level as it staves off anarchy.  If the larger public believes, however tenuously, that there might be an ultimate judgment as to how they led their lives, then the needs and restrictions of a society have some weight.

On a cost/benefit basis (as Pascal suggested) thinking there is an afterlife costs little while thinking there is none gains us no more and perhaps less.  Personally, I think it's a wash as long as long as there isn't total anarchy.  We simply don't know for sure if there is more following death and, if there is, if it's something desirable.

CJ

9. TheCapn profile image62
    TheCapnposted 15 years ago

I think it's all a bunch of make believe. I tend to follow what Mark Twain said about death "I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit."

1. Eng.M profile image66
      Eng.Mposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree

10. Eng.M profile image66
    Eng.Mposted 15 years ago

my question is

is it better to be nothing (not feeling anything like what we were before we were born)?

or   to be punished after death for our bad behaviours?

I think the answer for this concern is another one:

what is really soul? is it just about our hearts? if they are working we are alive and if not we are dead.

I don't really know.

I will try to know but I know that there are things you can't understand even if you spend all of your life at.

best regards

11. profile image0
    Ana Louisposted 15 years ago

cjcs
    I agree with you.  I don't know why it provokes some people to read about or hear professions of faith in the after life, Jesus Christ, the bible, Buddha, or anyother God based religion.  Everyone believes in something, even athiest, because the need to believe is inscripted in our DNA.  Why would we have so many religions and theoies if it were not so.  The human race has searched for it's creator, it's orgin from it's beginning and everyone comes up with an explanation that makes sense to them. 

I say this, human truth is subjective, and changes direction with the wind.  We are fickle creatures and like children, never satisfied and always centered on ourselves.  Let's face it, we are our own universe and all that we know, believe, and experience exist there.

Personally, I believe that this existence is not all there is, that would be too simple, and this world and every thing on it....the universe, time and space...the human body and mind, are all very complicated and still pretty much a mystery.  We don't have all the answers and might never have them.  So, the odds are that a human, just from a logical point of view, is probably more than just flesh and blood, more than just an organic machine with no purpose other than to exist for a short while, and then just disappear.  What would be the point? 

The problem with refusing to believe we are something more than that, denigrates us as the superior being on this planet, makes us of no more importance than an insect, and not worth the resources we consume to keep us alive.  If this is all there is why worry about any of it, why hold so tenaciously to life as though it matters?  Why? Because we all believe that we are important and have a right to be here.  We believe that what we think, feel, and experience matters, otherwise we would not bother to share, in some cases force, our ideas...ourselves...on others.

It is human nature to believe...we all have a religion and we all believe in a god.  Our religion is whatever we preach and our god is what ever takes 1st place in our hearts, minds, and life...that which we serve and reverence above all else.

To say you believe in nothing...is still belief.  Atheism is still a belief system.

As for me,  I am more that this body, and what is me is going on..

12. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

Inspirepub said:The Bible - in its original languages - does not refer to an immortal soul. Only to the "spirit" - the breath of life - which departs when we stop breathing. That means that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, were they true to their origins, would not have the concept of an immortal soul

SJ says: I think it is a bit of a jump to say that what the original languages called "spirit", could not be referring to "soul". There has been a lot of interpretation through the centuries.

Because of the perception that I have about there being the energy of Soul (Holy Spirit- ultimate oneness with God Source) and the energy of soul (spirit- which could be any of the multiple levels of consciousness perceived as in separation from God and actions that perpetuate that sense). note the use of capital and lower case ( in soul and spirit) intended to describe the Real Self and the sense of not self.

13. Andrew0208 profile image56
    Andrew0208posted 15 years ago

This is an interesting thread. It's important to know that man is a spirit living in a body. The spirit life is eternal. What dies is the body and it's sensory guide. This means he/she is no more earthly. This Spirit life is certain and eternal. The question is what is the quality of the life after death for you, because it's not a mystery?

1. weblog profile image57

I agree. I'm waiting to learn more smile

14. knolyourself profile image58
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Seems like kind of a macabre system. Born stupid. And then one is suppose to be held responsible for one's sins after one dies, that result primarily from ignorance that one is born into.

1. profile image0
      Ana Louisposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We are not born "stupid."  We are born ignorant (innocent).  Unless one is born with a mental dissability, we are aware, able to absorbe information, learn and progress as we grow.   We do not remain ignorant. As we develope and mature, we decide what information will govern  our lives.

Sin is the willful act of doing something that you BELIEVE is wrong.   If a person is truly "stupid," then he/she is not responsible.

Accountability is the price of having free will.  If you know that it is wrong to murder someone and you choose to do it anyway, won't you be held accountable for your actions?

Unlikely unless the police catch you. Not going to happen after death lol

15. knolyourself profile image58

'Sin is the willful act of doing something that you BELIEVE is wrong.' So who does that? How many people has the Bush wars in Afghanistan and Iraq killed? Think he believes the killing is wrong? If he don't believe it - no sin - is that right?

1. profile image0

Who does that?
      You have never been tempted to do something that you didn't feel was right, and did it anyway.
      You never speed, tell a small lie, break a promise, say something unkind in anger, cut in line, keep the change when a cashier mistakenly gives you to much?  None of us are perfect, we all do things that we know deep down we should not do. 

My original coment was based the teaching of theChristian Bible.   In Romans 14:23 Paul said this, "But anyone who believes that something he wants to do is wrong shouldn't do it.  He sins if he does, for he thinks it is wrong, and so for him it is wrong.  Anything that is done apart from what he feels is right is sin."   Paul was writing to the church in Rome, believers in Jesus. He was not writing to the world at large.

Has Bush sinned by sending troops to Iraq and the deaths that have resulted?  Will God hold him responsible? I can't answer that.  Only God knows the answer to that.  Was his action wrong?  According to who and what law?

If a tribe of people have never heard about any other god, other than their own, and are cannibales, believing that eating human flesh is a good thing to do, have they sinned and will God hold them responsible? No.  According to Christian teachings God does not hold us responsible for what we do in ignorance. 

But if there is no God or moral accountability, no purpose or reckoning, then again I ask, what is the point? If this is all there is, then my existence and everything I do is a big waste of time.  What I am and who I am has little importance and no real meaning, and if that is true, then I am ready to leave this hell hole today.

I have questions myself and I search for answers, but what I uncover today might look differently tomorrow in light of another discovery.   No one has it all figured out yet, least of all me.

Are these wars justified or are they lame?
        Its through love and not terror does the One get tame.

1. profile image0

A truth well spoken.  I agree,  love is the answer.  Love has always been the answer.
          I dont think war is ever justified.

So are we just to sit back and allow the terrorists to kill us and others, while we are loving them?

1. profile image0

Of course not.  I should have elaborated.  War is sometimes necessary, and inevitable, but war is always the result of one dominion wanting to overtake or destroy another.  That is not justified.  Greed for resources and power is not justified.  Hatred for another culture, race or religion because it is different is not justified.

We should defend ourselves against terrorist and as far as I am concerned the attack of 911 was a declaration of war by terrorist and any country or government that sanction, harbor, and fund terrorist.  911 was the result of hatred and the greed for power...not ours, but theirs.

I know that there is a lot of conjecture on this subject and I don't usually participate in this type of debate, because there are so many views based on so many sources that contradict each other.  Conspriacy theories hum around like misquiotes and drive me crazy.

I hope I didn't say all this wrong, but I have to go.  probablly should have waited til I had more time..

Thank you Anna, yes I do agree on your elaboration. smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image57

Of course conspiracy theories abound. That is how the powers-that-be keep every one confused. And if you think that 911 was completely unprovoked........

I do find it interesting how often right-wing politics gets drawn into discussions about religion.

Love everyone - except when you need to kill them big_smile

16. Andrew0208 profile image56

There's a purpose for every man here on earth, when he/she dies continues with the real life which does not die. This spirit life is already in you now but little do people appreciate and live in this reality. This is the reason i always refuse to walk by sight(my sensory perception) but living in faith. It's so real and continues even at death of the human body and it's sensory guide! Refuse to be to be sin conscious and always walk in love!

17. topstuff profile image61
    topstuffposted 15 years ago

No we must kill terrorists and i think a single man,a group or class of people couldbe terrorist but any whole country never be.Killing terrorists cann't help,killing the cause turning out them terrorists possibly can.By the way who will decide who is terrorist and who is peace loving and whats the definition of terrorist.

18. Rudra profile image69
    Rudraposted 15 years ago

After death there is life and after that death again. Its a cycle.

19. privateye2500 profile image40
    privateye2500posted 15 years ago

What I *think* is of TOTALLY no consequence since no one knows and likely never will be able to tell us.

20. knolyourself profile image58

And I thought you were a gumshoe.

21. topstuff profile image61
    topstuffposted 15 years ago

Its the matter which philosophers could not uncode.

22. Andrew0208 profile image56

This life after death do not walk by sensory perceptions. It's supernatural and real. We already have it.

1. dishyum profile image57
      dishyumposted 15 years agoin reply to this

How do we already have it? smile

1. Andrew0208 profile image56
        Andrew0208posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi dishyum,
        Your question on "How do we already have it?" That life after death in question? is the real you who is a spirit that lives in a body(case). Man is a spirit. This ability will always show up in you when you seize to walk and handle issues of earthly life only by your sensory perceptions, but seeing and acting from your inner man which is expressed through your heart and not the mental abilities of your mind. You can kick start and engage your spirit man through meditations in your most quiet time.

I do start by meditating through the life stream of the Scriptures. At this point your heart opens the door of your spirit to flow out to issues of life here on earth. It's glorious and powerful beyond the comprehension of religion and self. This real life does not die but lives eternally.

23. webismine profile image58
    webismineposted 15 years ago

Thanks everyone. As I started this thread, I'd like to see more opinions smile

24. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

Well the soul is whatever makes you go, like a battery (that is what I think anyways)
    When it comes to life after death well....I think there is something I just am not sure either way whether or not we would recognize ourselves as we do in this life. 

Heaven sounds nice and a Paridise Earth sounds nice too but if there was such a promise I would not be one to say that you could recognize yourself in the same way.

Like...I am not sure that I did not have a life before this one cause I don't remember but I have inherited some fears or traits that could be considered a supressed memory of the past, but I don't consciously remember where it came from, only speculate it. 

So since I really dont know, then I really dont know what the next will be like either.  Shute, I am not even sure that after you die you really dont feel anything at all because you cant ask a dead person what it feels like to be dead but if it decomposses and becomes food or soil for something else and everything but the bones is used up, then I guess I would asume that the spirt got eaten up too.  smile and maybe it goes somewhere else, maybe it does grow into a tree and the tree can think and feel but we can't ask a tree so how would you know?

Anyways,  I am just rambling on...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)