Olympic coverage no good...

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (47 posts)
  1. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Does anyone else find that the olympic coverage is really bad?  I think I have watched possibly 3 or 4 races so far and I always have the tv on.  all they have on are the athlete stories, tv personalities that no one cares about, etc.  I'm really annoyed.

anyone else?

1. Ohma profile image60
      Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree I would like to see more of the competition. It is nice to know about the athlete's but we can read bio's anywhere. We can only see the race real time once.

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

The Olympics is on?!

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I usually turn it on at night, it doesn't seem any different to me.. I know some of the events have been canceled because of weather conditions.  I like the stories also, as I wouldn't bother going to find out more about them online. it's nice to hear their stories, or see who's underneath that ski outfit.
    there have been some amazing performances.

4. megs78 profile image61

I don't mind watching and learning about the olympians either, but this morning, CTV had some guy on their show for about 2 hours singing this and that in the middle of his interview and just had me wondering what he had to do with the olympics.  They also had two personalities from some kind of talk show thats supposed to have something to do with celebrity, whatever!  I want to watch the games.  i want to see the competition.

5. I am DB Cooper profile image62
    I am DB Cooperposted 14 years ago

I think the problem is that we don't really know most of the Winter Olympic athletes, and the networks have to make us care or nobody will watch. I know in the United States the only athletes people know in the Winter Olympics are the hockey players (and we don't really care that much about hockey) and maybe a couple female figure skaters. Oh, and that Ohno guy. Most of these sports aren't popular enough to ever be shown on TV outside of the Olympics. In fact, most of these sports don't even get a mention on SportsCenter, even for their non-Olympic world championship events. Most Americans aren't going to tune in to blindly root for the athletes wearing the stars and stripes; they need some sort of biographic piece to get them emotionally involved.

6. megs78 profile image61

yeah you're probably right.  I'm just going on the last winter olympics in Turin and I think the coverage was much better.

7. Beelzedad profile image58
    Beelzedadposted 14 years ago

I live in the Vancouver area and we are having one of the warmest winters in the last hundred years. Cancellations of events are starting to pour in while many are holding tickets they bought from scalpers or non-olympic venues. They're screwed.

We had one snowfall and cold snap early last December which melted away in a few days. It's been going from rain to sun ever since with temperatures hovering around 8-10 degrees Celsius.

Buds have already broken out with small new leaves beginning to form on some trees. I'll probably have to cut the lawn soon, too.

Today is sunny and warm like any other beautiful spring day. But, it pretty much spells disaster for some of the Olympic venues.

8. Green Lotus profile image60
    Green Lotusposted 14 years ago

I love watching the Olympics, but there are too many commercials!!! It drives me mad so I have to tivo it while I watch something else, or write a new hub smile  I also wish my remote was more accurate because I can fast forward thru the commercials but I always stream past the first few seconds of programming. I am remotely challenged sad

9. rebekahELLE profile image85

too bad about lindsay jacobellis tonight!  a fluke fall for her. sad

the figure skater from switzerland, Lambiel, was amazing!
    plushenko is going to be hard to beat.

1. Green Lotus profile image60
      Green Lotusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've miss tonight's broadcast...still zoomed in here on Hubpages! I will say that there seems to be a lot of skaters having mishaps this Olympics. Have the required moves just become too difficult? I can remember when a triple toe loop was a miraculous feat.

10. rebekahELLE profile image85

I don't know. I know snowboarding has quite a few falls tonight (or today), the snow/rain conditions have made it hard.

don't you feel bad when they fall ?? they work so hard for these moments.

It's agonizing, especially when you know they've been training for four years for a 5 to 10-minute spot!  The weather is crucial, but so is the Vancouver crew who must maintain the ice and snow.

I was disappointed at what happened yesterday with the men's speed skating venue. The ice was so poorly groomed they had to delay the race an hour. I understand that messed up the skaters' timing.

11. rebekahELLE profile image85

green, the men's figure skating is still on. smile

I'm on it!

12. rebekahELLE profile image85

yes, it is agonizing... I didn't see the men's speed skating yesterday. I don't know what I was doing... but I love to watch these games, so inspiring. go world, yes? smile

13. Faybe Bay profile image64
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

they replay it after the news too . I was watching and hubbing last night, then realized I was watching the same stuff over again.

14. rebekahELLE profile image85

hey faybe, where are u in florida? nice to see you.
    I'm on the gulf coast.

the canadian skater is next.

these guys are so good.

c u later green.

15. rebekahELLE profile image85

YEAH Evan Lysacek!! gorgeous performance!!  big_smile

16. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

let me know when shaun white makes an appearance. he's a little cutie! wink

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, he is. half pipe is on today, men's half-pipe qualifiers are on at 4:40 p.m. Eastern time, semi-finals at 8:15 p.m. and finals around 10:15 p.m.

I agree Lotus, loved  his costume last night! he's so nice to watch. also enjoyed johnny weir's performance

olympics always inspire me to work out more!!

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oOo i know...saw that in the paper. wooHoo wink thanks!

2. Green Lotus profile image60

Thanks for the update, RE! I've got a heavy schedule today and tonight...just may have to do a bit of TIVOing.

1. Hokey profile image61
          Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe stalking?  big_smile

17. Green Lotus profile image60

Evan is my fave. Love his dark prince charming costume. His brief interview was charming too.

18. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

It's all tape delayed so you already know the results.  Then when you want to watch an actual event it takes forever for them to show it.  And instead of showing the competition they only show the later rounds or results.  Would be nice to air the sporting events and less of the fluff.

But it's been this way for years and years.  For me I just get the results off the net on the very few interesting stories.  Unfortunately it's all about the money so you can't even get video clips yet.

Olympics on TV is always a let down.

19. wrenfrost56 profile image55
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Here in the U.K. the BBC's coverage is pretty good.

My husband's a Brit and he keeps comparing the "tedious" US coverage to the great coverage in the UK where you have less fluff and actually see more events. I do think the US with all it's excessive commercial time becomes overly focused on the US and Canadian athletes, but it's what we have. At least there's TIVO.

20. rebekahELLE profile image85

no complaints with even being able to see some of these amazing events~  smile

team USA had a golden day yesterday. loved watching lindsey vonne's amazing ski run and sean white take it even higher.

nice to see canada take another gold.

big_smile

21. megs78 profile image61

So I think the coverage is getting better, but now its kind of embarrassing because of all the little problems that they are experiencing.  Like last nights speedskating event with the timing and ice problems.  Come on Canada, get it together...geesh! smile

22. jobister profile image59
    jobisterposted 14 years ago

Olympic coverage is so bad, I have yet to watch a second of the winter games. I don't believe skiing and shooting at target is considered a sport.

23. Green Lotus profile image60

Yay Evan! Stunning performance. Love those silver snakes too!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it was amazing, just gorgeous to watch. so happy for him and his family, coaches!! big_smile  congrats Evan!

24. salt profile image60
    saltposted 14 years ago

Ours is really good. Australian.. Eddy gets to us every once and awhile, but he has been well behaved and a good commentator for these Olympics.

25. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

I want them to play curling in primetime.  I miss it all while I'm at work.  I couldn't care less about figure skating.

26. megs78 profile image61

I loved the hockey game last night!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like NHL hockey better.  More checking, more fights.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
        IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe we need a hockey forum...lol  Just joking of course.  However, I love Curling. I wish I could play.  But Missouri does not get cold enough.  Looks fun though.

1. megs78 profile image61
          megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Curling is fun!  I love it, but I don't get to do it enough.

I don't get to do it at all.  Not a big thing here in Cali.  But I found a local rink that's going to do an intro-to-curling clinic on a Saturday in March.  I'm totally going.

1. profile image0
              wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

No ice skating lessons for you though, I take it Maddie...  It's not my favorite part either.  I love the women's half pipe myself.  I couldn't even make it down the little "starter hill" without a major injury.  lol

Oh, I can skate already.  With a Canadian mum and a dad that grew up mostly in Ontario (though he's American), I'd be a total fail of a daughter if I couldn't.

2. megs78 profile image61

I was on the curling team in highschool and it was really great.  Since then I have curled a couple tourneys here and there for company parties and the like.  Haven't done it in a while though, but seriously thinking of returning to it at some point.

2. megs78 profile image61

You know, I like NHL hockey too, but I like to see Canadians playing together and thats why I love Olympic hockey.  I love to see a country come together and fight for pride.  Thats the best kind of game.

27. rebekahELLE profile image85

sounds like fun maddie. one thing I love about the olympics is that it brings attention to the sporting world and inspires us to get out there and move. let us know how it goes!

28. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Olympics is bad...full stop!!

29. megs78 profile image61

I just had to mention this.  I had a good laugh watching some speedskating coverage on a canadian network.  One of the journalists made a lame attempt to get the canadian media interested in a love affair between canadian speedskater Nesbitt and one of the speedskaters from the Netherlands.  The journalist, looking for some feedback from the two sports commentators with his story was thanked with some awkward dead air and then a remark from the female commentator:  "I wonder where he was going with that?"

I laughed so hard.  Canada is really out of the loop sometimes.  Just couldn't care less about athlete relationships.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)