You've won $75m dollars...

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (31 posts)
  1. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 14 years ago

What would you do?

Some guy in the UK just won 56 million pounds on the EuroWeekly lottery....

If that was you, what would you do?

You can express how you would spend it by % if that's easier, but how would you use/spend/invest/blow that amount of money?

John

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i would invest in land, and hire a trustworthy lawyer to look after my interests. then i would have a master architect build me a really cool house on five grassy acres with an apple orchard behind it. of course i would help my family and friends and open some sort of homeless shelter focusing on veterans and children. not sure how i would do that but i would get help from the community to sort it out. oh and i would give a million dolars to the local bunny shelter.

2. aguasilver profile image70

Not sure if I've posted this to the right place! - move it if needed...

3. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Retire.

1. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...and then?

1. marinealways24 profile image59
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Die.

4. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

Stick into a bank or whatever then Piss off travelling as quick as possible before anyone could catch me - and stay travelling until I died - then my kids could deal with it.

5. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

56 million is a lot of moolah, but so easy to spend!
    Charities for starters. I would sponsor more kids! Heaps more kids!

6. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

1. Pay off my bills
    2. pay off all the bills my kids have
    3. share with friends
    4. give to charities
    5. build a HUGE log cabin in the mountains, big enough for my entire family
    6. buy some more horses
    7. fly the family to Scotland, England, and Ireland

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good work habee, you spent the lot! My kids are debt free and doing OK, I don't need a lot of money as all my time these days revolve around children and grandchildren, ( just like you lucky girl!)
      I love the idea of the big log cabin family retreat too! smile

7. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

I would invest in my writing and the writing ogf others. Maybe create a publishing outfit or contribute to an existing one. Look at buying a second hand book store. I'd go on a world tour but take my time about it. If I visited England I would not so much want to see the big cities but the towns and countryside. I would love to see where Doc martin is filmed. Its somewhere on the Cornish coast. I would also like to walk from England into Wales via an old Roman road. I have friends in Knightswood, Scotland I would love to visit.

I have a special writer friend in New Zealand I would also love to visit.

As for the USA, I would definitely like to visit Pennsylvania where I have friends and make a return visit to San Francisco, New York and New Orleans. I would love to visit the grand canyon and make a return visit to Yellow Stone Park. I want to see cowboy country which would include Colorado.

I want to see Rome the eternal city and the catacombs. I want to marvel at architecture and paintings. I want to learn more about art.

I guess that would make a nice start into that great lump of money...

8. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Pay off my bills. Stay in school (which I wouldn't have loans for!) Donate to charities. Go shopping and take a few of my bests on a fun shopping trip around the globe or something. Take at least 4 vacations a year.

I don't think it'd change to much. The next 5 or so years of my life are college, anyways. My future career is something that I aspire to no matter how much money I have. I already take one vacation a year, so I think 4 a year would be nice. Anymore traveling than that and I'd get bored of it fast. Too much time in airports...been there done that. I wouldn't get my own jet because they're so expensive and would quickly drain my 75m after taxes. It'd be much cheaper to fly first class.

lol I hate being so practical, even in a hypothetical way!

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

It would be niiiice. I could have finally force my wife to move to Thailand! Ah, dreams... lol

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Force your wife to move? Where would you be?

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rochelle, sorry I did not understand your question. Could you re-phrase please? smile

10. waynet profile image67
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I'd just like to get it all in coins and swim in it...

1. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try baked beans. Coins are impossible to swim through.

1. waynet profile image67
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I was going to argue that Scrooge McDuck did it, but then I realised that was just a cartoon lol!

2. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Reminds me of Scrooge mcduck.

1. waynet profile image67
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ha yes I mentioned that above...great minds think alike eh!

11. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I'd start a HubChallenge Scholarship.

The 5 best hubbers would get $200,000 each for a whole year to publish one hub a day for 365 days in a row.

All Adsense earnings would be donated to charity for that year.

People with poor spelling skills, horrible grammar, and an inability to learn a few new tricks need not apply.

Not sure what I'd do with the other $74 million after I've paid off some bills, bought some groceries and got myself a ride-on lawn mower.

12. aguasilver profile image70

What percentage would you set aside for charity?

Would you give it all to one charity, or several?

What about your 'friends' and family, what % would each of those score?

Be specific, have fun, because this guy did win it, he's a white van driver and his wife works in an Estate Agents office.

You could win it (if you bought the ticket)

How many of us do the lottery each week?

13. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I would give half away, the other half..well....I would travel the world..come see all you lot.

14. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I'd use that money to counteract whatever George Soros is doing politically.

1. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts, exactly! big_smile

15. easybusinesslinks profile image59
    easybusinesslinksposted 14 years ago

I'd spend it all on twinkies and ladies and gentlemen....that's a lot of twinkies!!!

16. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Become debt free.
    Give to charities.
    Help my sister renovate her home.
    Buy land and build a home for my family where we can have lots of animals and the boys have room to run.

...After that there would still be so much left over to invest and live off of, that the ability to give should never end.

17. i_am_Legend profile image60
    i_am_Legendposted 14 years ago

Travel the World.

18. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Man, you don't know how often I think that. Lately, I've been thinking about that a lot. Even came up with this list:

1. Give to charities
    2. Set up retirement funds for me, my husband and my sisters and brother
    3. Provide for my mother - for life
    4. Have my favorite aunt's knees operated so that she can walk without pain.
    5. Invest in something that can guarantee us passive income for life (preference on apartments / buildings for rent)
    6. Set up a scholarship fund for students who have the brains but not the money to go to college - preferably to an accounting course smile
    7. Quit my job and go online freelance writing
    8. And of course, travel smile

19. MrSpock profile image61
    MrSpockposted 14 years ago

1. Invest 2 million in Berkshire Hathaway
    2. Invest 1 million in REITs which pay monthly dividends
    3. Invest 1 million in oil trusts which pay monthly dividends
    4. Invest 5 million in cheap stocks
    5. Buy Hubpages.com - it's a good investment!
    6. Buy a yacht which I'll use a few weeks a year, then have it          rented out the remainder of the year.
    7. Buy a nice apartment in a vacation spot which I can use a few weeks a year then rent it out the remainder of the time.
    8. Buy a LOT of gold!
    9. Buy undervalued real estate.
    10. Now that the money is working hard for me, have fun, travel and party!

20. yoshi97 profile image57
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

Retire ... finish revising my novel ... visit a new hubber every month for the rest of my life. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)