What Is the Greatest Fear You have Overcome?

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (79 posts)
  1. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I no longer fear scorpions

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spiders and the hub I just wrote. the guts are hurting me on that one.

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

gotta read it and must add another fear Ive overcome similar to the scorpions is

my x mother in law- whew.  freedom

Nice I was scared of mine too. She looked and sounded like the lady that played the wicked witch in wizard of oz... TRULY.I was terrified of her.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Abuse-Anonymous-Hub

This is not a fun hub, like I do, and no ads. It is a difficult read a story I have never told the full of it till now.

2. marcel285 profile image64
          marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I same, i was shit scared of my bf's mum..well don't have worry about her anymore!! She appears to have no emotion, and i was intimidated by her and she made me nervous, because she is super smart. She is one of the top 10 smartest people in NZ- my country.

2. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fear of death. My own one. I think LOL

1. nadp profile image75
        nadpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Death was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title of this forum.  It's a really big one for me.  Have you found any ways of overcoming it? I'm hoping that as I age (as I will hopefully have the opportunity to do!) I will be able to reconcile with it.  And you?

1. Misha profile image64

I too think it is the biggest fear for everybody, whether people realize this or not. And the first thing to overcoming it is to realize that you have it and that it controls most if not all of what you think and do - and looks like you are there already.

Then you naturally want your life back, and from that point it just becomes a question of technicalities. How do we overcome our fears? We face them. And when we look at them long enough, we see them for what they are, and they subside and go away. That's the only way I know smile

1. nadp profile image75

Thanks Misha.  What you say is very practical advice.

2. Aya Katz profile image83
        Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think we ever overcome fear of death. I became very aware of my own mortality -- and that of people I cared about -- when I was nine. The summer when I turned nine I was totally focused on death. Then I "got over it" by focusing on other things. I'm not less afraid of death now, than before. I just think about it less.

1. Misha profile image64

Aya, as I said above, the only way I know is to face it, not to hide it. It takes a while (years) to realize that there is nothing to fear, really - no matter if there is an afterlife and/or reincarnation - or not. If there is - there is a whole lot of new (or may be old LOL) things to explore after death. If there is not - then what to fear? smile

Sky, ROFLMAO, too cute smile

1. Aya Katz profile image83
            Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The thing to fear is not the process of dying, but the non-existence that is its result. To me, when I was a child, contemplating my own non-existence -- not just after I died but also before I ever was born -- was terrifying. To realize that the world would keep on going just as before, but I would play no part in it, was to come face to face with my own insignificance. The idea that I'm not important scares me more than anything!

1. Misha profile image64

And I was not talking about the process either. smile

3. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Success/Failure...How are you, Kimberly?

2. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

My father.

BTW-for those of you who are afraid of spiders...Psychoanalysts (esp. Freud) said that spiders are symbols for our mothers...I just learned that this weekend, and thought I'd share.

I wonder if scorpions are fathers? wink

Wow, my brother actually hates spiders. He did not even remember that he brought a big one home in a jar from Florida and kept it in his room for years, to scare me with it so I would not tattle on him. I left that out of the hub I wrote on him, but may have to add it

it took him a long time to love our mother, she was sick a lot and that can make children angry with the person. he got over it when he grew up... or did he?

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
        TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps he functions with it better...But the residue remains. Isn't it interesting how symbols work and have meaning? Thank you for sharing that with us! smile

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

scorpions are arachnoids(spider family)  they have 8 legs...

Yeah, but they also have that great big stinger. I'm SURE Freud would have considered it phallic wink

3. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

I no longer fear heights

4. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

The only true fear I have that I have had to overcome is trusting someone else to do something for me. (and not screw it up)

I was forced to trust my life in the hands of others, that was a very tough fear for me to face and overcome.

5. marcel285 profile image64
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

I have an irrational fear of birds and fish..even dead ones. Once when i was home alone, i discovered this dead bird that my cat had dragged in. My bf was away, so i called my boss, and he came round to my house to get it out!! I wouldn't even walkpast it..Still havn't gotten over those fears.

I was afraid of the dark up until about 2 years ago!!! At 17-18 years old, i would wake up my bf in the night to come with me to the toilet!!! Because there was no light out there, it was an old house and the power was a bit dodgy.

1. profile image51
      ashkha8066posted 14 years agoin reply to this

awww im still sooo scared of dark ,how did u overcome?

6. defenestratethis profile image60
    defenestratethisposted 14 years ago

Losing my mind. Now Im afraid of finding it.

1. figment profile image75
      figmentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i like that

1. nadp profile image75

Very cute!

7. yenajeon profile image70
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

I have this really great fear that my life will be average. I hope I'm destined for greatness and have no regrets in life.

8. profile image0
    Jared in Vegasposted 14 years ago

When I was a little kid I was afraid of breaking my arm, then one day during junior high football practice it happened. It hurt just as bad as I knew it would, but the sympathy you get while it's in a cast is awesome. Plus there was a guy in the emergency room that accidentally cut off his thumb with a chainsaw, so the grass is always greener I guess.

awww....that's a cute story

9. profile image0

these are really cool

10. Cly Walsh profile image61
    Cly Walshposted 14 years ago

Most recently, well within the past year anyway, I finally overcame my fear of the dark. Some would say it's pretty sad to have an intense fear of the dark when you're 32. I say - it was horrific and glad that it is finally behind me!

Awww {{{HUGS}}} Phobias aren't rational, or else we could easily control them.

Congratulations on getting over it.

2. profile image0
      sophsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was the same, I now sleep with the light off smile

11. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Spiders...
    Kill Kill Kill Killlll!!

*puts on her best Viennese accent* Und vhen did you relise you vanted to kill your mother? wink

12. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

thunderstorms
    being alone

13. premierkj profile image69
    premierkjposted 14 years ago

My greatest fear is being a failure. I'm also afraid of the things I have to do to be successful. I'm pretty screwed!

14. Madison22 profile image60
    Madison22posted 14 years ago

I overcame the fear of big dogs. A while back I took a job dog sitting 3 big boxers, and now I absolutely love all dogs:)

15. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 14 years ago

My biggest fear was thunder and lightning, when I was younger I used to hide, close the curtains play my music loud.
    Not good for my neighbours but great for me, now I have got older it does not bother me anymore and I like to watch it now.

16. donotfear profile image85
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

My acraphobia (fear of heights) has greatly improved since I climbed the fire escape Aug 24, 2004 in Los Angeles. YOu can read my hub about it, My Reality Show Experience: the whole story.  Anyhow, my fear has greatly alleviated thanks to a kind and loving God who opened the door for me to experience such validation. It controlled my life but now is way down the list on priority fears.

17. jonathanacosta17 profile image61
    jonathanacosta17posted 14 years ago

when both my children were newly born i was deathly afraid to hold them. so scared i might hurt them. now my 3 yr old wrestles  me while my baby girl pulls my hair out.

18. Sa Toya profile image83
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

I'm still afraid of silly things like spiders.

My greatest fear, still there I know I will face it one day...it's inevitable, I've made peace with that but till fear it.

Another I'm hoping to get over at some point...soonage

{{{HUGS}}} Fears can be hard to conquer, but I'm sure that when you're ready to face them, you'll knock them outta the park. Best of luck!

1. Sa Toya profile image83
        Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile Thanks for the Hug I do love a good HUG...tell me about it fear's a thing and a half smile

smile You're one of the tough ones smile I just know you'll get past it.

19. profile image0
    blatvaposted 14 years ago

My step father..  But I think if I ever met him again, I wouldn't be afraid anymore.

I might punch him though...... Here's hoping I don't have sharp objects in reach either haha..

Still kinda don't like spiders. But theGlassSpider helps there tongue

*waves at her 'pider friend*

*waves back* Just trying to make the world an easier place for all of us to live wink tongue

I hope you're having a good day.

20. ksha16 profile image57
    ksha16posted 14 years ago

Fear of constipation. Now its all smooth

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Im afraid of Gollum....

21. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

CLOWNS!!!!!http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz343/FreddyKruegerGirl13/pennywise.jpg

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks for that...I almost screamed!!  lol

2. profile image0
      sophsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yikes that is one scary clown! lol

3. manlypoetryman profile image81
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2009/03/pennywise-the-clown.jpg
      Yikes...lol ! (StormRyder wrote: CLOWNS!!!!!)

that's pretty scary

22. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Whoah!! Scary doesn't describe this clown!!!  He's IT!!!  Yikes!

For me, being alone, especially in the dark out in the middle of no where, surrounded by bush, no lighting and no telephone or communication devices.

23. figment profile image75
    figmentposted 14 years ago

Bad weather!  After surviving Katrina, I can handle any bad weather.  Although, I didn't have it as bad as so many others...

24. profile image0
    Dalyinxposted 14 years ago

I think disappointment is a pretty big one.  I used to not do things because I was afraid I'd end up disappointing myself or not performing up to the standards I set.  Recently, I've realized that it's pretty hard to fail at anything if you try enough times.

25. HubChief profile image72
    HubChiefposted 14 years ago

fear of being a loser
    accepting my faults and
    saying "hey, sorry, i screwed up!"

26. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Rezident Eveel  7

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iuVs5Vx3-qs/SdtKxwqyLBI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/HXkyEO4OosA/s400/zombie-cat-pic.jpg

o, that's wrong

27. profile image0

don't laugh but I have a great fear of crying, like I won't stop and it hurts, I try to avoid it at all costs, unhealthy I know, but I fear it. hmm:

how sad lyrics

1. profile image0

I know but I can overcome it one day just not this day smile

Lyrics, quick story, I heard that song Don't Cry Out Loud and amde it my mantra as everyone hated that I could not stop crying once I started. I toughened myself up and became like steel... Then the day cam when I should cry, needed to, wanted to and prayyed I would and the tears would not come. It became so hard, everyone thought I was completely heartless and self centered and my heart was breaking but no tears would come. It took six months of solid prayer to get God to give me back the ability to cry and I will cry, even if it makes others uncomfortable. Not crying is what kills ya.
          Yes it hurts and you can't swallow and the lump in your throat is so big, but being unable to show others your feelings can be an emotional hell I would not wish on anyone. Especially you.

28. Alota profile image60
    Alotaposted 14 years ago

Small minded people

1. profile image0

I'm fanning you right now for that - you rock chick xo

29. Alota profile image60
    Alotaposted 14 years ago

thank you lyrics, but I dont know if I will be staying....we left on mass the last forum I was on as the complainers spoiled the fun for everyone else....I see you have them here as well trying to control everything.....I think these people are the lowest form of life.....if they lived in a small village they would be peeping out the curtians minding the neighbours business.....pathetic....thanks anyway.....actually I think I will write to the hub pages team and ask them who is actually running these forums....the busy bodies or the people who want to interact and share knowledge and fun.....

30. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Censorship     sad

31. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

Not having enough quiet time to think...write...simply be !
    And yes, cockroaches..! wink

32. profile image0

running out of money

I would be scared all the time!

33. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

I was scared of heights, so I jumped out of a plane. I also did a cage fight that raised my fear level.

34. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

public bathrooms - now I'm not afraid, but I still don't hate em!

1. profile image0

OK girl, that is so true - good one mega

35. Ann Nonymous profile image60
    Ann Nonymousposted 14 years ago

The fear of fear...and I owe it all to God!

36. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

The greatest fear is death and I agree with what Misha said

corollary to that is that I am fraid top die before my children gets to know what they will do or at least reach the age of 18

37. marcel285 profile image64
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

I'm on the path to overcoming a fear today. Being alone. My man broke up with me last weeks, after a 5 year relationship. He just left about 20mins ago. He's going back to our home country, NZ. I am in Australia. Iv'e lived in this town with him for about 8months. I know some people through work. But the closest thing i have to friends here, is 2 60 year old men whom have a soft spot for me.

38. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I've overcome the fear of pidgeons...RATS WITH WINGS!!!!!!!!

They hound you for food and they drop shite on you from a great height which is just very disrespectful...naughty birdies!!

39. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Panic attacks & driving.  Driving would be the big one.  So I fear that I'll have a panic attack while driving.  Sheeesh.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)