Ad's bumping text down...

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (37 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I asked a friend to check out a hub of mine to check a link that had been broken that I had fixed to make sure it was working. She said the link worked fine and that the article itself looked really good BUT more then half way down my last block of text was shifted way down. So she saw some ads and empty white space where the text was supposed to be and didn't realize that there would be more text to come. I had a look and it looked fine so I logged out and had a look and it still looked fine so I refreshed the page and wham! Lots of empty space next to ads and my text was moved way down. I had intended the text to be shown along side the ads so that readers might click when they had read enough. I suspect that some ads move the text down and other ads don't. Can we get this fixed so that the formating we use is consistent whatever the ads google brings in?

I have noticed this happen often when reading other hubs but as a member who loves this site I have my blinkers on and ignore the shifting text. A unique visitor not aware of just how cool this site is and how cool the writers are might not be so forgiving.

2. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

If this happened during the outage, it might be fixed by now, if not this would be a big problem.  I think a lot of readers would be turned off or confused by the break in layout.

kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was noticed just in the last half hour, I have actually seen it happen very often on other hubs I am reading but with my enthusiasm for the site I dismiss it without thinking about it at all. It was the fresh eyes saying they had found it confusing that got me to realize that it could be a problem.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is not a "problem" as such. You just need to anticipate where the ads are going to be placed and break your text up accordingly. Like this:

http://hubpages.com/hub/make-money-onli … d-research

Then you don't end up with the big gaps.

I had a look at your hub and it was well formated, not many ads to click or amazon capsules selling stuff.....

The next hub of yours I wanted to look at looks to be selling something and was http://hubpages.com/hub/Five-Best-Laptop-Computers and right away there was a huge box of empty space where your initial text should have been, the text was moved down below the ads instead of fitting in with the text.

A total new reader who does not know this site might just click the back button as all they can see when it first loaded (for me anyway) was ads and no text hmm

Odd, because this is what I see:

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/screen.jpg

Where are you seeing a gap? Maybe you could do a screenshot?

Your first text capsule was moved down below the ads instead of the ads being around the text, so ads first then scroll down to see the text. If I re-load the page a few times eventually it will be displayed correctly, but who is going to do that if/when they are first visiting the site and have no idea how it all works. That has always been the problem for me, I know how the pages are created so when I come across text being bumped down for an ad I either reload the page or just scroll down as I can guess at the problem and do not hold it against the writer. To get a screen shot I would need to get hubby to load the page on his screen and take a pic and upload it someplace to then use here, its a bit much as he is busy and stressin today (he is always stressing it seems lol). Try logging out and then have a look at a few of your sales pages, that is how I was able to see it with my page. I logged out (logged in it was just how I wanted it) and it still looked fine so I scrolled down to make sure before reloading the page, on a reload the formating changed to leave a huge empty space in the lower middle of my article, looked pretty poor. I do not know just how often this happens and if its not a common problem then it might be something to just accept and move on from, try not to worry about it. My friend actually thought I had meant for the big break of nothing but ads (lol) and suggested I add some text encouraging them to scroll and keep reading but it would look silly when the page loads properly.

3. kirstenblog profile image78

Comparing your pic with my page the biggest difference is that you got a picture ad to load in while I had 3 text ads, the ads are the thing I think. The text ads must be bumping your text down instead of fitting in properly.

4. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

I was logged out when I took this - but  this is the layout I usually see. So - I don't know what is going on at your end. Sorry.

I finally got an image after hubby insisted we do a web archive (it looked wrong to me, that it would not just capture what I was seeing but what I should be seeing but he has a tendency to not listen and insist he knows what I am saying before letting me say it grrrr) and then looking if I had image capture software on this computer. I do and have taken a jpeg of your page as I saw it but not sure how to get it to you. I just sent an email asking if I should send or if you know a good spot to upload to that could host it for linking in the forum.

5. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

I also get this all the time, as far as I can tell it's Yield Build deciding it has got just enough room to sneak in an ad box where it really shouldn't.

The only way I've found to stop this is by inserting a quarter-sized plain white box as a picture into where Yield Build is stuffing the ads, forcing Yield Build to place them elsewhere.

Not an ideal solution, but it usually works for me.

What browser are you using? I am beginning to think that might be a part of it. I personally am on a mac and according to my husband who is a Mac Man safari is the best browser to use on our computers. It could be partly due to the browser?

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Currently Chrome, but it happens in Firefox also.

6. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

I have both mac and pc - it looks the same with firefox, safari and IE. sad

7. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

You can host your image on imagehack.us site from their choose direct link option and use that URL with img tag.

8. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

Its happening to me too and I posted a thread including this problem about a week ago, but the Hub Team didn't respond, and as another Hubber told me it might be because I was on Chrome, I assumed that must be it and forgot about it. Now I am worried my Hubs are being viewed the same on multiple browsers.

9. myownworld profile image75
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

I was having the exact problem on two of my hubs lately. They were perfectly fine for a while, and then one day I just went back to check, and all of a sudden, lots of empty spaces, txt misaligned etc. I actually reordered the capsules, spaced out the txt, and then it was fine again! I still don't know why it happened, but it surely was very frustrating!

(I use mac too btw. but I doubt if the browser has anything to do with it)

Anyway, best of luck with this...smile

10. kirstenblog profile image78

Ok, after a browser crash and an annoying call from the bank I finally got the image hosted at imageshack. Mark this is what I was seeing on your page (I did make it large enough to see your text as I figure that is the most helpful). http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4137/hperror.jpg

Thank goodness for good news (got a sale from a hub that had not had one yet, always nice to see a hub was worth the time and can make sales) and of course I got to learn some new stuff here (not that I wanted to! lol)

Ah - I have never seen that problem and I have lots of browsers and 3 different machines running three different OS.

sad

Not to nice looking is it? hmm

I wonder if it is something HP can do something about or if its just one of those things that suck in life and you can't do a damn thing about hmm

2. kirstenblog profile image78

It happens to me when viewing hubs VERY OFTEN and that is probably why I don't pay any attention anymore and just scroll down hmm

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
          Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same.

Although never at the very top of a hub before, usually in the middle somewhere which is why I thought it was a conflict between using lots of short capsules and Yield Build.

11. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

everybodies hubs look good to me when I check.

Yay for good news kirsten.  smile

Yay! big_smile I am happy enough to deal with techie problems now haha! lol

12. kirstenblog profile image78

Notice that big block of white space there. Not very inviting for users and I know of at least one who was put off but knows me so was happy to say fix it instead of just leaving.

13. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Ive never seen that specific error, its pretty ugly! Did anyone else in the thread see that particular layout ? Many times when pages display oddly its the fault of the browser your using and plug-in or extension conflicts. Not saying that is the case but that should always be your first thought of what the culprit is,

doesnt surprise me though, I use 4 different pcs with varying browsers and os at dozens of locations over the course of my work week. HubPages/Yieldbuild def has a lag /failure to display on ads pretty frequently Ive wouldnt surprise me at all to see other issues.

as for easy screenshots - fireshot fits the bill, one  click to take screenshot, built in editor, built in hosting, auto creates forum and html links

Fireshot

http://hubpages.com/hub/10-indispensabl … -and-blogs

14. skyfire profile image79

I think it's from HP and not from browser. Reason is look at the screeny, one ad at top is 468x80 and another big one is 300x250. I think yield build selected that big ad by looking at the resolution you've got.

Most of us here might have 1024x768 and didn't faced this issue. Are you on higher resolution ?

I actually have no idea about what resolution I am on or any of that sort of stuff. I tend to be a 'normal' user as opposed to a highly computer literate person, in my defense tho I am happy to experiment and learn about stuff if it is profitable to do so wink

15. kirstenblog profile image78

Well my husband cannot replicate the problem on his machine using the same browser and OS, pages load in properly every time, where as for me its hit or miss as to how it loads in. He got my window sizes so that he could size his the same too so I don't know if its the size of my windows creating inconsistencies on how pages load.

16. skyfire profile image79

I'm sure now it is resolution related issue. More the resolution yieldbuild tried to put in some ads.

17. skyfire profile image79

Here is the link to check how ads are appearing on different OS and browsers. You can check this site and see how ads on your or others hub are displayed for each resolution.

http://browsershots.org/http://hubpages … -Computers

Not sure I could make heads or tails of this site hmm

1. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I gave you that link to see the hubs from views of multiple browsers/OS. You should take a look at it and see how ads and content are screwed up, sometime it is browser issue while managing yieldbuild ads while sometimes it is yieldbuild placement that makes it go weird like that.

18. Flightkeeper profile image67

It could be that break in layout only happens when it is a word ad not a picture ad. The algorithm that runs the page might not want to confuse the text with the word ad.

19. Flightkeeper profile image67

Okay, I just looked at one of my hubs and it happened to show a word ad and the text still wrapped around it.  I have internet explorer.

20. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hey Kirsten,

I've not run into that problem. I also haven't seen it on any other hubs. hmm

Sorry, cannot be any help. hmm

It seems to be a problem for some folks and not others for some crazy reason. My husband has the same browser and window size as me on his computer and while I get the problem quite often he cannot replicate it on his computer at all. My mother in law has the problem viewing my hubs too and she is on a PC so I just don't get it hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)