Long Distance Relationships

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (50 posts)
  1. i_am_Legend profile image59
    i_am_Legendposted 14 years ago

Long Distance  Relationships Good or Bad?

1. figment profile image76
      figmentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm in one... I think it's an artificial illusion of a relationship

1. donotfear profile image83
        donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I heard somebody else say the exact same thing. Interesting.

2. tobey100 profile image60
        tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a very polite, sadly realistic way of putting it. sad

3. profile image0
        sophsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree sad

4. Rod Marsden profile image67
        Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who cares figment if it works for you and makes you happy.

2. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Truly wonderful until reality sets in.
      Always BAAAAAAAAAAAD thereafter. Like falling off a cliff in slow motion.

But that's my experience. Others may have better results than me, but really, what's the longest time period you've ever known for a long-distance relationship? A couple of years? That's not long.

3. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't really work. Fun at first but not being able to really share things gets to be a drag.

4. profile image0

Depends on the people. I think a long distance relationship would work well for me, as I like my own space and love to be with friends alot of the time. A weekend partner would be nice, or even fortnightly smile haha

1. Hokey profile image60
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok. I accept. We are now official!   tongue

Oh yeah!  Where are you?  hmm

1. profile image0

Haha! big_smile

Sunny England! :p very distant!

5. NunezWillLearn profile image61
      NunezWillLearnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What's harm in it. Let me know if you find anything wrong with it.?

6. marcel285 profile image64
      marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good..If you are connected mind and soul.. You can still feel the presence, the energy..

2. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

They are tough to manage.  Some can make them work.

3. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Run for the Hills.

1. greeneyes1982 profile image59
      greeneyes1982posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. i_am_Legend profile image59
      i_am_Legendposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LoL

4. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

If you think about it, some people can have a better relationship long distance than some have living in the same bed if people don't effectively communicate.  Communication is extremely important to a good relationship.  When it's long distance, that's pretty much all you have.

5. Hmrjmr1 profile image69
    Hmrjmr1posted 14 years ago

when I was in the Army my late wife and I had to have them by necessity it depends how you look at life I think If you really find a way to just live the day then the time and distance apart can be an enhancement. I have to admit though that many of our freinds and my troops had many problems with it. (as they do now)

6. efeguy profile image40
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

nt bad,it cld be sucessful in d long run

i mean both party can finally meet  themselves

7. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

they can be really hard and require A LOT of trust but they can work

8. profile image48
    alstersjakposted 14 years ago

some people can have a better relationship long distance than some have living in the same bed if people don't effectively communicate.  Communication is extremely important to a good relationship.  <a href="http://www.sports-picks.biz/">sports picks</a>

9. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 14 years ago

It depends. I've seen long distance relationships that did not work and I've seen some that did work. My husband (then boyfriend) and I had a long distance relationship for almost 3 years. Guess it worked for us smile.

10. profile image0
    blatvaposted 14 years ago

They can work  smile  Mine did. And now, I live with him

I hope for the same. i have been in a long distance relationship for two years now.

11. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

In the case of unrequited love, it can last for decades, or even an entire lifetime, and it does not even require the other half of the relationship to take residence on the same planet. Of course, some would argue that's not even a relationship. However, someone is definitely relating to someone else. So the question is: how important is reciprocation? If not important, it can last forever!

12. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Good if it involes her sending me money so I can have a good time... bad if it's the other way around!

But seriously it all depends on what you mean by relationship and long distance. For example, I have long distances "relationships" with a number of hubbers here. There's no sex or money exchanging hands just good conversation from time to time.

13. sexeducationnow profile image62
    sexeducationnowposted 14 years ago

It ain't good or bad..it's tough to manage and not so practical in the this materialistic world.

14. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

a long distance relationship in what capacity?

married & one is in the armed forces?  I sympathize, it isn't easy.

engaged or "just" dating & one went away to college?  Good luck on keeping interest in each other and not someone else

met online & haven't met yet?  RUN!!

15. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 14 years ago

They can work.  Mine started as one and now we have been married for more than 10 years!

16. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

The most important thing is to make sure you use a cordless phone during phone sex.

Otherwise, the chaffing really starts to burn after a while sad

1. profile image0

Eeeeewwwww! Haha!

2. i_am_Legend profile image59

lol

17. purple sunflowerz profile image61
    purple sunflowerzposted 14 years ago

It could be good and/or bad. It all depends of the maturity of the individuals in the relationship.

I agree

18. yenajeon profile image70
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

If its real, it can work. The reason people think its impossible is because its rare for a relationship to be 'real'.

19. aliceone profile image60
    aliceoneposted 14 years ago

I've written about the subject on my dating site (it's in my profile, if anyone is curious). I have been in several long distance relationships, both lasted through the time apart and both went on to become wonderful partners in my daily life.

These types of relationships allow you to focus on what matters most- communication, real conversation, getting to know the true person with whom you're dealing. They are a great way to know someone's mind and heart.

20. profile image0
    Inoko Clan-Clanposted 14 years ago

It's real but more difficult to make it work than a short distance one. smile Experience.

i agree

21. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

I have been in a long term relationship with an older woman now for about twenty years. We correspond. We've never actually met face to face. It has been going great. Who knows what would happen if we actually met.

22. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

1. Long distance relationship is first of all an illusion - you're in a relationship with someone, whose image is subconsciously altered by your own wish and according to your own needs. That's NOT reality though.
    2. Being in a relationship with your own illusion is at least a waste of time; it can be dangerous too.

I've been in such relationships, but I don't believe them. When it comes to real life without phones or internet, it does not work (at least not the way you would expect them to work).

23. Moon Goddess1854 profile image61
    Moon Goddess1854posted 14 years ago

Distance is not always the issue.  There are always two parts in a relationship. One is physical and the other one is emotional and psychological. Couples may be living in the same house sharing the same bed but they can be emotionally, psychologically and physically distant.

So what am I saying here? It matters how you prioritize your needs and trust is also an issue between couples. Long distance decreases the amount of physical contact between couples which can translate into frustrations for some. On the flip side of the coin, the distance also could allow the courtship to extend despite having been married for a number of years which again may also result to keeping the mystery and excitement for one another alive and active.

Nuf said.Not a guru so I'm shutting my mouth.

24. TREX80 profile image61
    TREX80posted 14 years ago

What's yours and their track record for long distant relationships? First one, go for it. Life is short. Many? never worked...hmmmmm.

25. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

I now have the perfect relationship with my ex - we never have any contact and she is 5498.9 miles away - I just went to 'how far' site to calculate it for you.

26. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

Isn't every relationship in these pages a long distance relationship ?  Doesn't matter if you are the other side of the world or next door it is just as distant online.

seems to work fine for most people here big_smile

27. profile image49
    hippychick67posted 14 years ago

I have just started a long distance relationship (148 miles, to be exact!) We met on a dating site, texted and talked on the phone, and despite falling out with each other TWICE because he wasn't over his ex, over 5 months we fell in love. He finally decided that it was ME that he wanted, cut his ex out of his life and we met 3 days ago. It was AMAZING! We went for a drink and never stop talking! I agree that in some ways it is harder, I am missing him so much already, but I have always believed that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and that goes for relationships too! I really hope this works out, I haven't had this sort of connection with a man for a very long time. X:0)

28. arepblury profile image61
    arepbluryposted 14 years ago

i have another story.. i've meet my old girl friend when i was in 14years old.. separated for about 8years.. hahaa.. now meet again in facebook.com hhahaha.. in that period... really going crazy without her.. but. really being a player...

29. dyonder profile image73
    dyonderposted 14 years ago

I'm in a similar scenario, having just re-connected with a love from twenty years ago. In a sense, it's as if the intervening years and geography didn't happen or don't make a difference as far as the abstraction of romance goes. Although, I'll find out when I go 2 see her either this spring or summer. With age has come patience and not sweating the small stuff; both of which seem to enhance the quality of the relationship. With the passage of the years has come a true appreciation of what we had and of what we can have. The dream between, the passage of time and vastness of distance, lose meaning in face of the hope.

1. arepblury profile image61
      arepbluryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

dyonder..you a quite centimental persn man... but.. think of that.. she is personally will be happy if she read this.. hehehe

1. dyonder profile image73
        dyonderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope so. Picked up a practice I haven't had since her & I dated two decades ago; writing a poem a day 4 her. She inspires me. It's nice to have a muse

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)