This both sucks and blows!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I gotta get this off my chest. I hope you guys don't mind smile

My husband has had a business account as he is a contract worker and the companies who hire him usually want to pay a company not at individual. Contract work has been sparse for a while now and when the business account needs money it increasingly has come from my personal account. Late last week/early this week I transfered £500 to the account for an online purchase (this account has insurance for online stuff and mine does not) which went through just fine. Then the company decided to cancel the order and return the funds (pain in the ass as they didn't tell us we had to make several phone calls over several days to figure out what the problem was and that it wasn't a problem with the bank). Well it wasn't a problem with the account yet but in the past 2 days it has become one helluva problem! The tax man has closed the account and taken all money in it, just over £600 the majority of which is my paycheck money! It's not like we are going to go hungry or be made homeless or have the power cut or anything dramatic like that but I still wanna cry a little. Thats half my future laptop money, or my citizenship money for that matter (I have a number of expensive things to save up for). Hubby keeps saying he is sorry, he thought the problem with the tax man had been sorted and I don't blame him either, I am just worried about how well he deals with stress (he could work on that little problem). We have talked to the bank and the accountant and we may be able to get the money back eventually so keep your fingers crossed guys!

Well I gotta go get some food shopping (at least my account is strong and can handle our food needs and such). I will be back later smile

1. tobey100 profile image59
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was gonna say 'only in America thanks to the IRS' but obviously not.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you're right, kristen, that does suck and blow. it is a scary proposition when the government can take money that you worked hard for just like that. sadneutral

3. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You don't own a small airplane do you?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sick

Twisted

I like it

2. kirstenblog profile image77
        kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

Nah! We got a helicopter! tongue

Why bother with the plane, no room for a runway out in back garden for our flat, a top level flat tho is great for a helicopter lol

2. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

The taxman takes your money from your savings account? Wow!

It's a business account we set up back when there were contracts about. With no contracts for the past 2 years or so we have not had earning to tax yet still have to do the paperwork. We got late on some of it but called and explained and the accountant said all we had left to do was sign some paperwork to satisfy the tax man but I guess it just took to long hmm

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Does that mean the money was taken as a fine because you were late in getting your information to the tax man?

If so, your accountant should have been making sure that you would do the paperwork on time.

You might be better off closing the company. I use one for my freelancing, but it is a PITA.

There are a number of umbrella companies set up specifically to be used for contractors for that purpose. If you google for umbrella company, you'll find loads. There's even a site that reviews the top 100.

Back from shopping smile
          We had our business account closed and they took whatever was there. I think if we had only had a few £'s in there they would have taken that and we wouldn't have been quite so panicked about it. I did stop by my bank and I have enough there to feel like I can relax and just trust the bank about the accountant being able to get the money back. We are going to have to do something different with a business account in future, get my mother in law as a partner (she has run and does run businesses successfully, without getting behind on paperwork) as she has said thats what she thinks we should do. She is very cool and if my account had been a bit low she would have transfered funds pretty quick for us, she wont let anything happen to her kids or their women smile

Now I am going to have to think about putting my fish on! Yummy! Fresh fish tongue

3. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

That doesn't sound good Kirsten - I didn't know that the taxman could just close a bank account?  Doesn't seem to make much sense.

Hope you get your money back and that hubby doesn't get too stressed.  Praying to the Amazon gods for you for a very profitable weekend!

4. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

sad

5. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

On a funny note our accountant is Mick Jagger! lol
    Seriously thats his name! Not of course the singer tongue

1. tobey100 profile image59
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have got to be kidding????  Although, my attorney's name is Robert Stack  (remember him from TV?)

6. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

lol

7. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

hope you get your money back soon!

8. Ms Chievous profile image66
    Ms Chievousposted 14 years ago

Sorry to hear, Kirsten, Hopefully it can all be resolved soon!

9. Has_aWayWithWords profile image64
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

I don't know tax laws outside of the US but I know here the tax man can seize anything they want, accounts,money,property etc. to cover tax debts and fines. There are some exception rules in the US which allow you to exempt certain items from seizure but you have to do it before it is seized which is almost impossible because they aren't going to warn you for fear you will try to hide assets.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)