If Obama Says it... it must be true... in must be!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (27 posts)
  1. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

"One year later, it is largely thanks to the recovery act that a second depression is no longer a possibility," Obama said.

Hmmm okay.  Sure.

And to all the Team Obama supporters.

How exactly is it "Not Possible"?  What has been done to ensure us that a Second Depression is not possible.  When absolutely nothing has been done to "fix" any of the problems that created the crisis?

Can someone outline the reasons why it is "no longer possible"

Not a possibility…. No way. If Obama says it... then it must be true.

So what if more Americans lost their jobs than were created in 2009. The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks and over) continued to trend up in January, reaching 6.3 million. Source:  Feb 2010 Bureau of Labor and Statistics

So what if 1 in 8 people are behind on their mortgages. Source:  USA Today

So what is the deficit increased $1.3 Trillion.

So what if 1 in 5 Children live below the poverty line.

At least there is “no longer a possibility” of a second depression... at least according to the Mouth of Obama.

The Recovery Act is a Huge Success! God  Bless the Recovery Act for Funneling Billions of Tax Payer Dollars directly to Bankers.  We are all going to be okay now.

The Recovery Act... Thank You Team Obama.

Appearing on Meet the Press, House Minority Leader John Boehner criticized the recovery package for including $21 million to re-sod the National Mall as well as $200 million for contraceptives.2 On Face the Nation, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell mentioned $600 million going to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees and $150 million for honeybee insurance.3 Senator John McCain questioned a $50 million provision for the National Endowment for the Arts on CNN's American Morning.4 And on Fox News Sunday, Senator Jon Kyl criticized a program that would provide benefits to World War II veterans in the Philippines.

Source:  Huffington Post

Now if only we could get Obama to give us all the Winning Lottery Numbers in this weeks Powerball.

I’d also like an explanation for exactly how Santa gets down the Chimney with all those presents and in less than 24 hours.

1. profile image0
      StormRyderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You seem to have all the answers...so run for office! tongue

2. I am DB Cooper profile image62
    I am DB Cooperposted 14 years ago

Don't you think you're blowing one little statement way out of proportion? He said the recovery act is largely responsible for preventing a second depression. He didn't say all was right and perfect in America. Many of the economic fundamentals are still way out of whack, but he's correct that a second depression is not happening right now.

The stock exchanges have regained a significant portion of their losses from 2008, and it looks like the economy could be on the slow road to recovery. New job creation will always lag behind but I expect we'll see that in the coming 6 to 18 months.

Yes, there was plenty of waste in the recovery package. There is with any large bill. This is caused by everyone in Congress trying to stuff pork projects in for their districts so they look good back home and can get re-elected.

Obama hasn't been perfect, but come on man. You're taking 20 words that he did say and turning it into a bunch of things he didn't say.

3. MikeNV profile image67

Not at all.  Obama has a way of making statements that are simply not well thought out.  And it's entirely within context.

I'm not turning it into anything it is not.  Obama is claiming the Recovery Act prevented any possibility of a Second Depression.

All he did was spend and borrow more and waste more taxpayer money.  The actual financial condition of people and the country has not improved.

The point is that Obama's words are never backed up by the concrete reality.

But you are entitled to your opinion too. That is the point of Forum Discussions.

I'm looking for any kind of plan or evidence that what he said is even remotely supported by anything tangible.

1. profile image0
      chasingcarsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love the way you conservos bend language.  It is lovely to behold.  You do live in a separate reality where fiscal conservative means spending but not taxing, you know, like the last  administration did.  Actually, in your tiny little minds, anyone who offers you a tax break is your bestest buddy, as long as it's not Obama.  Earth to conservos:  you and 95% of the nation got a tax reduction from the stimulous package.  It is mind boggling for people like you, who obviously have a problem with reality, to criticize a man who is one of the most reasoned and throughful presidents we have ever had.  And he listens to everyone before he makes up his mind.  You amateur economists seem not to get that cutting taxes will not bring down the deficit!  Duh!  Cutting government down will only freeze the dismal circumstances you created to get worse.  For capitalists, you seem to know very little about capitalism.

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You should write fiction

1. Sab Oh profile image56
          Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"You should write fiction"

I thought that was what he was doing.

2. profile image0
        LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How is he bending language? He's saying it as it is. I don't know where you live but in my world fiscal conservatism still means spending less and being careful with your money, just because somebody claims to be a fiscal conservative doesn't mean they are and if they don't follow it then that doesn't change the definition of fiscal conservatism at all.

The republicans didn't oppose the tax breaks:
        http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter … -tax-cuts/

So I have a problem with reality if I disagree with him? I'm messed up in the head? Why? No man exists that can't be criticized.

Raising taxes will not lower the deficit either, you know why? Because 1. It will hurt the economy, kick it while its down. 2. More money just means more spending for Congress, they won't pay down the deficit. The best way to lower the deficit is to starve the beast so it gets smaller and then there will be extra money when the economy recovers.

Read up on the Laffer curve too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffer_curve

Capitalism is not a government system, it is an economic and social system, so it has nothing to do with government taxes and government deficits.

Your argument has been weighed, it has been measured, and it has been found wanting.

4. yenajeon profile image70
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

Lets just assume that Obama does not write his own speeches, but then we can't ignore that he must hear what is coming out of his mouth.
    Sigh, this presidency is so disappointing.

5. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Whats the problem with providing benefits to Philippine veterans of WW2? If I have a choice of where my money goes then I want it to go to them and Jon Kyl can kiss my happy white ass!

6. MikeNV profile image67

Whats the problem with providing benefits to Philippine veterans of WW2?

What is wrong is it is tacked on to a "Recovery Act" where it does not belong. What does it have to do with financial recovery?

The Mega Bills need to be stopped.

Legislation needs to stand on it's own merits. Benefits for War Veterans does not deserve to be buried in some mega bill, it needs it's own legislation where it is properly addressed. I don't know what Jon Kyl's agenda is exactly, but it's certainly not to deny Veterans their benefits.

You can read this for yourself:

http://kyl.senate.gov/legis_center/veterans.cfm

Perhaps this is a lousy slap in the face to Veterans that doesn't provide enough support. In which case the criticism is warranted. But the media chooses to cover one side or the other and doesn't give fair representation to "why" a bill is opposed or not.

And you don't have a choice where "your money" goes.  That's the problem.  Congress decides for you and you have no say.

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know I don't have a choice but those veterans deserve a lot for what they did, I do not mind them getting the money in whatever form it takes!

For the rest, well, they can kiss that happy white ass I talked about!

1. tobey100 profile image60
        tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Once again I find myself saying "AMEN"

2. BDazzler profile image78
        BDazzlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here's the thing, Tex ... if they hadn't tacked it on to the "stimulus" bill, and had given it the focus they deserved, there would have been less waste and the congress would have treated these guys like the heros they are rather than treating them like an after thought.

I treat my dog better than congress treats vets.

The fact that congress uses their sacrifices as an excuse to pat themselves on the back for a miserable failure of a spending bill makes it even more disgusting.

Making it clear, I'm glad they got something, but it should have been more, and it shouldn't have been tied to the filth it was tied to.

7. Sa Toya profile image82
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

seems no one in America really like Obama any more.. hmm

I don't mean this harshly...it just seems he's losing the love!

1. BDazzler profile image78
      BDazzlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If it will make you feel any better, I never liked him.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love him.  I'm hoping to be invited to the Whitehouse for a gerbil summit.

8. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

Have you noticed Obama touts success while Biden claims failure?  These two are the next Laurel and Hardy

1. profile image0
      StormRyderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

George W, Tricky Dick Cheney and My Condolences Rice must have been the three stooges! tongue

2. Flightkeeper profile image65
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought they were the new Dumb and Dumber guys. wink

Bush, Cheney and Rice look like nuclear scientists next to Obama and the Obama mini-me

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
          Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe they pronounce it "Nuke Ular"

lol lol lol

9. ksha16 profile image58
    ksha16posted 14 years ago

I am an Associate of Obama. :-)

10. MikeNV profile image67

"I know I don't have a choice but those veterans deserve a lot for what they did, I do not mind them getting the money in whatever form it takes!

For the rest, well, they can kiss that happy white ass I talked about!"

The point was all criticism is not negative.

If bad legislation is buried in a mega bill under the guise of helping... but it falls way short of helping then it deserves to be criticized.

I am very much against what is in my opinion a Ridiculous continuance of wars against people that can not even be identified.

However I support fully every single man and woman serving and their right to be taken care of after they come home.

Just yesterday it was revealed that a contractor intentionally supplied Benzene Tainted water to Soldiers right her in America.

I believe from my limited exposure to what I've read that a lot of Veterans are getting screwed.

So criticizing BAD LEGISLATION is not a bad thing.

Ron Paul voted against his own Bill to Audit the Fed because it got buried in Bad Legislation.

It's time to quit stuffing Mega Bills full of pork and addressing issues one at a time.  Congress would actually get a whole lot more done this way.

I am glad to see you support Veterans like I do.  I have them in my family and I have neighbors who are Veterans and they are all good people - at least the ones I know.  And I appreciate what they do in spite of my abhorrence of the people running the show.

1. profile image0
      chasingcarsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Supporting veterans is not the problem; it's supporting all your GD conservative wars that is ruining this country.  We would  not need a stimulous package if one fourth of our resources were not being spent fighting other people's wars and chasing a bunch of criminals all over the middle east.  If you want to get us out of this mess, reverse the pain.  Reinstate the tax on the rich, who benefited the most from these wars and who redistributed the wealth up into their pockets, and get us the hell out of everybody else's business.  We  would become livid if people parked military bases in our country.  Why do we have to maintain them in everiyone else's?

11. MikeNV profile image67

I don't support the wars.  And neither do many GOP's.  Which I am not.

People like to blame the Republican Party for the War.  And the real blame goes to the people who want war... the people who benefit financially from all those Government Contracts and paybacks.  And yes the Bush Administration was full of them.  But Team Obama is also playing the War for Profit Game.

So the blame lies not in the party but in the people within both parties who are on the Corporate Payrolls.

And while we would be much better off not feeding so much of America's resources into the Industrial Military Complex.  We would still have huge National Debt.

The problem is the system of banking we use.  People don't want to hear this... but it's the truth.

When you allow the Federal Reserve to print money backed by nothing and they accrue interest on the money they print by law you have a problem.  It's called debt.

Commercial Banks also create money out of nothing.

When we stop creating imaginary money which inflates the cost of goods over time and does nothing more than enslave everyone to Banks we can then create a Society that is based on REAL Productivity.

In the end our entire system is based on production and consumption.  And until the Debt is addressed we can not look at the model itself to see what is and what is not working.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)