Heroin vs. STDs

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (46 posts)
  1. drej2522 profile image69
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

Today, on CNN, I saw an interesting report on a New York governing body (not sure which agency) passing out a pamphlet demonstrating how to inject heroin safely into the body. The governing agency said one of the leading causes of HIV infection is the growth of unsafe, self-induced, drug injections (heroin in particular). They went on to say that although they didn’t support drug usage, if they are going to do it anyway, you might as well help decrease the spread of HIV.

Of course, the newscasters completely slammed this idea.

What do you think?

1. Mitch Rapp profile image60
      Mitch Rappposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They should teach them not to share needles. Injecting yourself wrong is not the cause of STD's its sharing needles.

drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was all-inclusive from what I saw on the program. It's promoting how to use them safely which entails not 'sharing them' (for sharing them would be unsafe).

1. Mitch Rapp profile image60
          Mitch Rappposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's great! I find it very hard to see a junkie caring however.

2. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well having been a 24 year, IV Heroin drug user myself, now in recovery, I'll say this.  I have Hep C as a direct result of needle usage.  I now volunteer for the exact organization you speak of called the 'needle exchange.'

It does make a difference.  No it does not cause increased usage but slowly, very slowly, is making a difference.

I can't help but wonder if this 'needle exchange' was available back when I was using, would I be dying from Hep C today?

That's a reality and I fear nothing when it comes to spreading awareness about the disease of addiction and alcoholism.

Thank you

Kimberly
      big_smile

I'm sorry to hear that Kimberly. Although, I have heard that they have made huge leaps in Hep C treatment...reducing the viral load down to a manageable level. Hopefully they find a cure, lyric!

As far as the topic goes, that's interesting to find out that it doesn't lead to increase usage. I have to admit, when I first heard of it...I was like, "They are doing WHAT?" But, after you think about it, it's actually looking at a solution from a different approach. How is it working? Do you actually 'see' results?

2. aguasilver profile image71
        aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen Kim, as to the Hep C, please look up colloidal silver and start making and drinking it, I have seen it clear Hep C in people, but you need to drink a lot of it for a good while to kill the virus.

I can instruct you off line if you want me to email me from my profile contact.

Anything that helps someone who is already in a bad situation live with more safety is worth doing.

We cannot start to judge the person, all you can do is start to try and find a way out of their plight with them.

John

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
          TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

AMEN TO THAT!

3. IntimatEvolution profile image70
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wish they offered free condoms as well.  I'm all for this type of education.  We cannot change the nature of society, however, we can make it safer.

1. Colebabie profile image59
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And I work for a department that does that.

Needle exchange programs will always be a source of controversy, just as providing condoms will be. It is thought that providing the means creates the want or irresponsibility. After giving out 50,000 condoms last semester, I can tell you that this usually is not the case.

Once again, education is the most important. hmm

2. RKHenry profile image64
        RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I too concur.  Well said as usual.

3. profile image0
        Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are places that offer free condoms. Many school nurses have a basket of condoms people are free to take, sexual education programs normally pass them out, and places like Planned Parenthood always have a few hundred they will give you. The problem is, most teens are too embarrassed to ask an adult for condoms, which is why I think these places that offer free condoms should be more discreet and anonymous.

2. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Well, obviously the ideal situation is that people aren't injecting heroine and getting STDs at all. However, since we don't seem to be doing a very good job of keeping people from doing it, shouldn't they at least know how to do it so that they minimize the potential risks of the behaviors?

I mean, I guess I'd rather have one problem to deal with than two. I'd rather have a small brush fire than an entire burning forest, you know?

3. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I believe it was a ridiculous idea, they should be getting people off of drugs not showing them how to use it. smile

true...they SHOULD be!!! Whatever they are doing...it's not working! smile

2. LiamBean profile image81
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yea! Show them how to overdose instead. Solves two problems; less addicts and fewer infected with HIV.

1. Hokey profile image60
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You poor man. Somebody really hurt you.....  sad

4. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

drej cool thread and I think it warrants being brought back.

Bottom line that is more than not misunderstood is no one, no one can get people off drugs except the drug addict themselves.  Programs treatment are yes necessary to be available if that addict lives long enough to seek help.

Only an addict can stop using drugs.  No one or anything else can promote it or arrest it.

I do know what I am talking about

Thank you

1. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am 100% behind Kimberley and I speak from experience too. There is no way by teaching the community safer ways of injecting it encourages people to be drug users. We have to look at reality there are so many drug users out there already and they need help.

1. profile image0
        mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with lyrics and BP

5. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Seriously folks...We need to start looking into harm reduction models. Obviously the ultimate goal, as already mentioned, is to NOT have people using heroin (or any other drugs for that matter), but in the meantime, since the so-called "War on Drugs" is being SO successful *rolling eyes* we need to look at minimizing other problems that are resulting from things we cannot control.

6. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Spider I couldn't agree more in implementing and enforcing ore and stronger harm reduction elements because bottom line people and addicts will forever be using.  That will never go away. Ever. sad

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64

Yeah...I don't really understand the logic behind America's hatred for harm reduction. I don't know how people make the leap from attempting to stop/reduce the spread of STDs to "we're saying it's okay to use drugs."

Obviously those invested in harm reduction do NOT think it's okay to use drugs, by virtue of the fact that they are attempting to educate people about WHY it's NOT okay to use drugs...they merely recognize that addiction is a serious problem and that, in general, an addict is not going to stop using until they're ready. Period. It's shown over and over and over again that mandated addiction treatment DOES NOT WORK (ETA: for the long term, anyway)...But VOLUNTARY addiction treatment DOES.

In the meantime, shouldn't people at least get some education about what they're doing to themselves and how, perhaps, to do it a little more safely? Besides, this also gives users a positive experience with a group of people whom I'm SURE can point them in the proper direction should they seek treatment.

7. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

I am with you lyrics. I too have Hep C from 22 years of iv      use. I wish they would have had this kind of information when I was starting to use. I am also in recovery now but the damage is done. People always have and always will use. Education is the key to reducing      abuse and unsafe practices of self administration. I didn't even know what Hep C was until I was told I had it.

1. Hokey profile image60

Also re-using needles caused me to contract bacterial endocarditis. Almost killed me.

8. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

ok, not being funny, but serious - won't most of the junkies have already sold or hocked their tvs so when are they gonna see this video?

1. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I admit, not very knowledgeable about iv drugs - just what I see in movies really - need to be educated.

2. TheGlassSpider profile image64

While there are plenty of people who fit (or end up fitting) the "junkie" stereotype, don't forget that drug users and abusers come from all walks of life--every ethnicity, every socioeconomic status, every level of education. You might be amazed to see all the different kinds of people who inject drugs and have shared needles. I assure you, plenty of them have access to TVs and computers. smile It's easy not to remember these things though.

1. blondepoet profile image67
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is exactly right they do come from all walks of life, professions. A lot of people have this stereo-type image in their heads of prostitutes, people on the streets, lower class people using drugs.Not true at all.

Agreed...In fact, many of them are very intelligent...It's almost scary!

9. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

AIDS is a bit more than just an STD.

You have to keep in mind the "innocent" people that can end up suffering - like children, because of irresponsible parents or spouses or partners who are unaware because of their partners addiction.

I believe we should always do what is in the best interests of the public.

This is one of those "lesser of 2 evils" society must choose.

10. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

There is an outbreak of anthrax in Europe just now, through contaminated heroin which users are injecting.
    The only advice they are being given is to stop injecting.
    Can't see that working!
    In the UK there are needles exchanges but that won't help them with this latest problem.
    If you want to know more I wrote a hub about it.

11. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 14 years ago

The reality of the situation is that the only way to deal with the problem safely and efficiently will be to decriminalise these drugs and make them available to registered users over the counter, with fresh needles as well.

This cuts down the criminality and brings the whole issue under control, allowing users to be independent of dealers and the places that attract junkies.

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't work. Methadone ( a DDA drug)is effectively decriminalised.

The junkies in the UK get methadone which is classed as a heroin substitute.
      They queue up every day at the local chemist for their free dose, or some even get full bottles of it on a doctor's prescription.
      How is substituting one highly addictive drug with another ever going to help them get off drugs?
      Even those that want to end up back on it because there is no support. There is no money to send people into re-hab.
      Oh and all these methadone users are still using heroin when they can afford it.

1. Hokey profile image60

All these methadone users are still using heroin when they can afford it? Are you serious? Where do you get your info? How is it that you know everything? I work in a methadone clinic. I have seen many, many(did I say many?) people get off dope and change their lives through this. I am an addict in recovery and now I help other addicts. That is my job. That is what I do. So don't say ALL these users. Simply not true. Stop generalizing. Not cool and only for closed minded people.

1. profile image0
          lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I too got off heroin for 5 years due to methadone maintenance at a very high dose, I had slips but methadone eliminates the effects of opiates.  The hardest drug I ever kicked however was methadone and I'll never forget it.

12. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 14 years ago

To the OP, I think you confused the specifics of STDs with the larger issue of blood-borne diseases, as extreme heroin users have their sex drives repressed severely due to their drug use, and blood transmission is the main issue with injection abusers.

13. drej2522 profile image69
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

Thanks lyrics for 'opening' this thread back up, so to speak. I believe it is an issue that needs to be addressed.

14. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

In my job I see, lawyers, teachers, factory workers, salesman, writers, as well as poor people and homeless people. Some people would be truly amazed at the different kinds of people that come there. Addiction doesn't discriminate. Period!

15. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Once the heroin is 'safely' in the vein, what happens then?

16. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

How about don't do drugs and don't have sex outside of marraige? It might actually work!

Damnit, sneak, that never crossed my mind! smile

2. Isabelle22 profile image60
      Isabelle22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol easier said than done.

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know, but it's all I got!big_smile

3. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"How about don't do drugs and don't have sex outside of marraige? It might actually work!"

Careful, that kind of talk drives liberals into a bloodthirsty rage.

4. TheGlassSpider profile image64

How about that's the way we've been doing things for many years already...See where it's gotten us? Maybe it's time to try something different.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)