Autobiography - to do or not to do?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (27 posts)
  1. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

I am focusing a good deal of time trying to write my auto-biography, has my life been that interesting, I dont know, but I am enjoying writing it even though it is slow and it is hard to know what to put in and what to keep out, I know it is going to be a very long book, should I publish it all on Hub pages, is that the best way to deal with it, post it chapter by chapter and get some feed back......I would be interested to know if anyone else has written their auto-biography.

1. marcel285 profile image63
      marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was wondering the same thing.. My life has been a circus so far..unsure whether to post chapters on hubpages, or complete and submit for physical publication. ?

1. skydiver profile image61
        skydiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you can get the best of both worlds if you post individual chapters first to attain a fan base, and then when the book is finished you can sell it as an ebook or use a service like lulu.com as mentioned below. That would certainly cut down on your marketing costs.

Here is a link to a site all about book marketing:
        <link snipped, no promo links>

2. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wondered why you had been so quiet lately !!    You have so much to write and it could make a popular enough book that a publisher might be interested ?    I would suggest putting just extracts in as hubs and then discuss each new hub in the forums.

3. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Once I get my foot in the door of the publishing world I will be focusing on my own autobiography from three different aspects 1. growing up with Auditory Processing Deficit 2. growing up with Kyphosis of the Spine and 3. marrying into the military and everything that goes along with baing married to a military man.

so I say go for it! write it out..never hurts

2. skydiver profile image61
    skydiverposted 14 years ago

You could post it on Hubpages if you'd like people to provide feedback, I'm sure people here can help you get a feel for what style of writing works best.

Long term, have you considered selling it as an ebook? You could create a blog documenting the creation of the auto-biography and drum up interest that way, and I'd also suggest setting up a twitter account to market yourself.

I haven't written an auto-biography, but that's what I'd do!

3. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Go for it. Not sure how it is beneficial on hubs as you've to come up with multiple hubs(for each chapter and i see some loss over there) and also it is really pain for those who don't know you but want to read your work in one go. Here is my view for this, write and get it self-published using lulu.com or similar service. And you can write autobiography summary on hubpages and promote your book from there(within limits of HP rules ofcourse).

4. skydiver profile image61
    skydiverposted 14 years ago

I think lulu.com is a good shout, but because of the way it works some people go as far as to think its a scam website. It isn't of course, but you can read more about this here <link snipped>

5. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Irish, from my glimpses of your life through your hubs, it has been interesting.  I also have a feeling that writing will be cathartic for you.  I say go for it.

6. theirishobserver. profile image60

I posted this thread and then had to run off, thanks very much for all your comments, I am going to check out lulu etc, I might try another chapter on the hubs for feed back but it takes so much time, thats great advice everyone thanks

7. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

nice to see you again, and good luck. I say, if you want to write it, write it, anywichway it serves you.

8. Sab Oh profile image55
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

Unless you are over 60 - no.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What kind of arbitrary rule is that? I've met fifteen year olds whose autobiographies would have been a great read. No disrespect meant or anything, but not everyone needs 60 years to rack up a book's worth of interesting material or the wisdom to write about it well.

Irish: I think if you need to write your autobiography, you should go for it. If you haven't already, you may consider taking a course in Creative Non-fiction (that will help you make the decision about how much to put in and how much to leave out, among other things). Ultimately, only you can decide in what format you want it published--but I see no reason to publish at least some of it here for feedback and ideas and then make an e-book or even a print book. What's your passion/heart telling you...When you imagine it being finished...how do you "see" it?

1. Sab Oh profile image55
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing worse than an autobiography by someone who hasn't done enough to merit one but who feels so self important that he just can't wait.

I agree, but who are you or I to say that there is a particular age at which one has become "interesting enough?" A skim of the NY Times BestSeller list should go to show that people's interests are quite diverse anyway. An autobiography that would put me to sleep might keep you turning pages all night. I've met 60 year olds whose authobiography's would be pretty boring, and like I said, 15 year olds whose books would be great. Age, I think, has little to do with it.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. smile

I would even go a little older, like retirement age. big_smile

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

why? I really dont know. (Not being a smart ass.)

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Justine, I don't think you were being a smart ass by asking.

It's fairly simple. Autobiography is about the life experiences and every detail about it and it's understood that people can go through a lot during their early years, but the book wouldn't have creditability and most likely isn't going to be bought or read by many, especially the older generation.

The book would be extremely limited and filled with much ambiguity, as well as, filled with more fantasy(subjective views) than anything else.

Anyone can write a book about themselves and make claims of experiences, for which, are smaller than made to appear.

9. wrenfrost56 profile image58
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I think I'm a little young at the moment and I haven't really done anything I think anyone would want to read, but never say never. Maybe in the future. Good luck with yours though are you going to put it up on hubpages? smile

10. Sa Toya profile image84
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

sounds like a plan unless you plan to get it published as a proper book...then I'd say publish some not all of it on HP.

hope it's all gravy smile

11. theirishobserver. profile image60

I am certainly not 60, but I do think sometimes that I am one of those creatures that has traveled through time and lived several lives if you know what I mean....

12. theirishobserver. profile image60

skydiver, I was looking at fiction wise, it is an ebook site, the idea of an ebook interests me, thanks smile

13. theirishobserver. profile image60

The Glass Spider, Thanks for that, I would say I will get on with it....just looking for encouragement I suppose..tomorrow I will try another chapter.... smile

You're very welcome! I wish you the best...and if you need an editor, I'm affordable wink Seriously, I look forward to reading it.

I like your new avatar as well...very cuddly.

14. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

I'm not 60 or older but I have been shot,stabbed,run over twice and had a heart attack, it hasn't been dull, maybe not book worthy though!

1. marcel285 profile image63
      marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a story that i would be interested to hear about.

15. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

I'm sort of on the bandwagon about not publishing an autobiography until you are "older," however that is defined.  HOWEVER, writing / publishing a "personal narrative non-fiction" mss is frequently done by those of us still youthful enough to only imagine retirement.

Many of us have stories to tell from the lives we've lived -- but that doesn't make it an autobiography.  In traditional publishing, the autobiography is seldom marketable unless you are a celeb or someone else who is "news worthy." (inventors, artists, etc.)  The narrative non-fiction is the way to go for the "important" stories of unknown or lesser known real people.

As to the issue of publishing on a hub? Wow.  I can't imagine ever doing that.  Too much work goes into a book, especially one that will be cathartic for the writer.  IMHO, I'd first try to get a traditional publisher, the old fashioned way.  If, after a year, that doesn't work, I'd self-publish with the objective being "getting my story read" as opposed to "making money from my story."

Your choice will depend on your objective.  But you can't publish portions -- like, Chapter by Chapter -- until the entire mss is completed.  I've never met an author who didn't do significant revisions as the process progresses; you will, too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)