American Snub To Britain

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (143 posts)
  1. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

Since oil was found in the waters around the British Falkland Islands Argentina have renewed their claims over the Islands and have gained support from many of their South American neighbours.

Despite the fact that the Falklands have been British for 300 years, that all of the people who live there consider themselves to be British, and that the Islands were uninhabited prior their discovery by Spain and then subsequent colonisation by Britain (Argentina's claim is entirely based on the fact that they are the closest mainland country to the islands - the Falklands never have been part of Argentina) America has refused to back Britain up and recognize British sovereignty.

Personally I think this is despicable. Britain has always backed up our American friends on the world stage and considered ourselves to be allies, but it seems there is no willingness to reciprocate. I for one hope that the British government rethinks our relationship with America because of this.

1. calpol25 profile image60
      calpol25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

im inclined to agree with you on that, i have friends who live on the falkland islands and im worried for them, I can remember the last time this happened its just pethetic and america will have to help us otherwise we wont be helping them any more.

kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lets just hope it doesn't play out like last time. If Argentina feel like they have support from many other countries and that we have none they may be emboldened enough to escalate things.

1. calpol25 profile image60
          calpol25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know what they are like if they cant get their own way, i think the term is trigger happy lol
          But its typical though I mean we fought the second world war alone for three years before america got involved in 1941, i suppose they will relent eventually but I hope this does not happen.

1. Sab Oh profile image57
            Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"But its typical though I mean we fought the second world war alone for three years before america got involved in 1941"

Gee, sorry we didn't come rescue your continent sooner. What were we thinking? I would also like to apologize for the cheapo Marshall Plan and the meager billions spent defending Western Europe during the Cold War.

Can you ever forgive us?

The marshall plan nearly bankrupted Britain - 20 years on from the war countries like France, which was overrun, had already recovered  from the war whereas Britain hadn't been able to because of crippling debt repayments. The Marshall plan money was leant on a commercial basis, not just given away.
              And the comment about rescuing our continent: Britain didn't have to go to war with the Nazi's, but we did so because it was the right thing to do despite the fact that it had such a high cost.

1. profile image0
                LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Impact of the Marshall Plan on the United Kingdom
                http://www.zum.de/whkmla/sp/0708/yongho/yongho1.html

The Wasting of Britain's Marshall Aid
                http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/mo … l_01.shtml

Britain didn't go to war because it was supposedly the "right" thing to do, people don't go to war for silly reasons like that. They went to war because of the Anglo-Polish Military alliance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Poli … y_alliance

Britain was also worried about Germany becoming a threat to itself and its empire. They wanted to stop it before it became too strong.

When you say Britain didn't go to war because it was the right thing to do but because of the anglo polish military alliance - don't you think that defending a friend from unprovoked aggression is the right thing to do? Is that not, in actual fact, the actual template of what I was suggesting America should be doing when I posted this thread - standing by their friends.

This 'anglo polish  military alliance', considering that Poland was a small country with a very weak military compared to Britain, was nothing more than a British promise not to stand by and ignore it if Poland was attacked.

Anyway, all this talk about WW2 is really nothing to do with the actual topic of the thread, and I've yet to hear anyone defending America's current position re the Falklands, you just seem to want to deflect attention from it.

1. profile image0
                    LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They were obligated by the alliance to do so. If they had turned their backs on the treaty then they would have had severe diplomatic consequences, which would have badly affected their efforts to curb German power.

"The treaty contained promises of mutual military assistance between the nations in the event either was attacked by another European country. The United Kingdom, sensing a dangerous trend of German expansionism, sought to prevent German aggression by this show of solidarity. In a secret protocol of the pact, the United Kingdom only actually offered assistance in the case of an attack on Poland specifically by Germany, though both the United Kingdom and Poland were bound not to enter agreements with any other third countries which were a threat to the other. Because of the pact's signing, Hitler postponed his planned invasion of Poland from August 26 until September 1."

They did it hoping to slow Hitler down, by making him reluctant to expand Germany more. It worked, but only for a short while.

Don't bring up something you don't want to talk about. The only reason I posted was because of your opinionated statement on the Marshall Plan and World War 2, my purpose was not to deflect attention at all, I'm sorry if it did though.

Here's my opinion on the whole Falklands thing:
                    It's none of America's business, this an an argument between Argentina and the UK and has nothing to do with us. Whatever we say will have a positive diplomatic effect on one country while having a negative diplomatic effect on the other, so it is best just to remain silent.

Also:
                    I do believe the island belongs to the UK. Argentina has no real right to it and the islanders want to stay British anyways. Argentina's government is just trying to make a show of power to distract its people from the country's many problems.

2. Sab Oh profile image57

"Britain didn't have to go to war with the Nazi's"

No, you could have become them like the French did.

2. Mrvoodoo profile image58
              Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Gee, sorry we didn't come rescue your continent sooner.

LOL, now that's funny.  America saw themselves under threat in the future so jumped on the bandwagon for their own benefit, turned the tide perhaps, but rescued?  My arse.

1. profile image0
                A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, the US didn't help at all, Britain had it totally under control! lol lol

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58

Well, seeing as it's well known that Americans can't do sarcasm, glad that we're in agreement. lol

Yes, rescued your ass.

More like suddenly woke up to the fact that this was a threat that affected them too. And came in late. wink

And saved your ass.

Las Malvinas are obviously more rightly part of Argentina than GB.

On what basis do you say that they are 'obviously more rightly part of Argentina than GB'? Just because they are closer?

3. profile image0

Why don't you tough guys pick on somebody your own size like...Houston

Who was that statement supposed to be directed at?

1. profile image0

Britain, the whole damn island!

1. Hokey profile image60
            Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well you asked for it!!! Your messing with a Texan!!!!  lol

2. kephrira profile image60

You really don't have a clue what you are talking about do you? Britain is not picking on anyone. It is Argentina that is picking on Britain if you want to phrase it like that at all.

1. profile image0

Better run and hide then, those Argentinians are scrappy!  lol

4. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not in Vietnam

2. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

Again it is all about oil and the fact that a British company has started drilling in the waters off the Falklands.

The US probably believes that it will be easier to muscle in on that oil supply if it is controlled by the Argentinians rather than Britain.

The Falkland Islanders are British citizens and their right to remain so needs to be protected and upheld.

Maybe we should pull our troops out of Afhganistan and let our American friends carry on on their own.  Friendship between countries needs to be reciprocal.

1. profile image54
      Entilzarposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its a shame how much is made about oil instead of renewable energy sources. I am willing to bet if governments spent half of the money they spend for military maneuvering on making "green resources" more readily available...

Anyway, I have to agree with the intent of this thread - the American government should step it up and be more worried about what we are doing in the world instead of being subservient to whichever business has contributed the biggest "donation".

1. profile image0
        china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You don't say a lot Entilzar !!   but you are about right with this one.  You should come out and play more often big_smile

3. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

Looks like sabre rattling to me - and British forces are more than enough for a little job like this and the Argentinians know it, so I doubt if they will get out of hand again.  America is not going to get involved because it might damage their trade and there are no billions to be made from arms sales, or is there ?

"British forces are more than enough for a little job like this "

And that's why they needed logistical help the last time they undertook such a brave struggle against all odds? roll

4. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

My thoughts?

Perhaps America recognizes Britains ability to fight their own fight, but will come to the rescue if needed.

That's not the point. Britain is not asking for American military assistance. We didn't need it in the 80s and wouldn't now, even if it did come to that which it almost certainly won't. I'm not saying America should actually do anything to help, but in the last day or two the US government came out and said that they didn't recognise British soveriegnty over the Falklands, which in purely diplomnatic terms causes extra hassles and makes it easier for Argentina to get their case heard at the UN, despite the fact that there is no reason why it should be. That's not just not helping, that's actually actively siding against us for no good reason. With friends like that, who needs enemies?

5. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Come on you guys. Remember this is The United States you are talking about and our alliance with Britain is rock solid. Don't believe what you see in the media. Just because our gov't says one thing in the media does not mean they are not doing anything behind the scenes. This is gov't we are talking about.

6. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

A Texan - prepare for the trenches - how are you good buddy smile

1. profile image0

Just fine, and you?

7. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Obama is not going to help Britain and will not give any kind of support, not even the logistical kind which is the support that America gave to Britain the last time.  I don't think Obama likes the British, he ignored Brown when he was here. Hellooo! DVDs that don't work on British DVD players. He resents the Brits for what they did to his grandfather in Kenya.

Its sad to think that its something like that, but you're probably right. As much as I didn't like Bush, I doubt whether he would have done this.

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bush stood by his friend Blair even though all you Brits hated Blair for doing what he thought was right.  It'll be tough going for you guys if anything happens. The Organization of American States which the US is part of, rallied around Argentina the last time and they will do the same again. The US abstained from support, I'm not sure they're not going to do that this time.

If you're right then things could get nasty. Britain is unlikely to back down, and Argentina might not either if they think they have some kind of American backing. Obama better hope that we finnish the job in Afghanistan soon, cos if we have to deploy in South America in any significant strength then we won't have any choice but to withdraw from there.

1. profile image0

Bye!

2. Flightkeeper profile image66

The British forces will have to withdraw from Afghanistan, that is something that the Brits wanted anyway.  NATO forces are still there although they are not as effective as we would like, you can only conduct a war with what you have. The Americans will move from Iraq to Afghanistan and probably finish it like they did in Iraq.

The British will have a problem in Argentina because its leaders are left of center and will probably have Chavez's and Emo's active support.  I hope they keep out of it but I think Chavez is an idiot and will do something stupid.  The Falklands is far away for the Brits. Let's hope it is just sabre rattling.

2. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How do you know he resents the British?

8. 1974 profile image69
    1974posted 14 years ago

How can a British paper write that? They even state in their own article that Argentina's only claim on the Island is that they expected to inherit it from the Spanish but then didn't, and then they go on to describe that as a valid claim?

9. 1974 profile image69
    1974posted 14 years ago

This was my favorite part:

"In 1829, Argentina appointed a governor. The British then sent two warships to the Falklands and struck the Argentine flag. Argentina, impoverished and divided, did not have the means to resist."

and I posted that article for you because it was a British paper.

1. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fairly typical for the Guardian though. It should be up to the people who live in the Falklands - if they want to stay British, they should be allowed to stay British.

2. kephrira profile image60

But what that quote misses out is the fact that when Argentia appointed a governor the islands were already inhabited by the British, but not by Argentinians, who only went there because the spanish said they could have the islands even though they had already passed to British control.

1. 1974 profile image69
        1974posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess I should have posted the whole paragraph:

"A year after the French landed, the British established a settlement at Port Egmont on West Falkland, but abandoned the territory in 1774. Spain maintained a presence on the Falklands until 1811. The newly independent United Provinces of the Río de la Plata (which included Argentina) believed that Spanish possessions should revert to them and in 1820 sent a ship to the abandoned Falklands. In 1829, Argentina appointed a governor. The British then sent two warships to the Falklands and struck the Argentine flag. Argentina, impoverished and divided, did not have the means to resist."

says there the Brits abandoned the territory in 1774.

But the people who live in The Falkland have been British and consider themselves British.  It's like if Cuba took Puerto Rico.  The Puerto Ricans expect us to help them.

1. 1974 profile image69
            1974posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sure, the ones that live there now consider themselves British, but the whole point of Argentina's complaint is that these islands have been wrongfully controlled by GB for over 200 years.

I am not agreeing with either side here as I am by no means a historian, was just posting an article I found interesting to the discussion.

Argentina can argue any way it wants, the fact is that British people live there and have lived there for the past 200 years.  Possession is 9/10 of the law.

1. profile image0
                Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah - this is just another stupid move by Obama to insult our allies. Does this guy know anything?

2. CMHypno profile image83
            CMHypnoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hand back parts of Arizona and New Mexico back to Mexico and wait to hear the howls of protest!  Why should people who have lived their lives as British citizens just be handed over to another country. Especially as that country speaks a different language and has an entirely different culture

Agreed Hypno, that's why the Brits will have a problem

10. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

This thread about the Falklands has been very interesting, but woe is me if we end up going to war again over them.
    Here am I...a Brit...living in Spain with a Spaniard who like the rest of them believe the Malvinas are Spanish and therefore Argentinian, and then there is the Gibralter problem...

11. alexandriaruthk profile image68
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

Argentina is a source of beef to Americans

Britain can take care of themselves without the help of the US

it is just wrong to take side at this point in time

Afghanistan and IRAQ are  another point in case-- terrorism is a world problem and not just the problem of the US isnt it??

1. profile image0

The US is the world's largest beef producer - we don't need Argentina for that. And yes, the UK can take care of themselves but I think the point here is that allies watch each other's backs. A point Obama continually seems to miss.

1. profile image0

X, the Brits posting here don't seem to think we are allies, why act like allies?

Most Brits love America, what it stands for, and the majority of its good people, we just don't like Americans like you.

The 'Go-Team-Go!' type, a little humility goes a long way.

1. profile image0

Most Americans don't care what Brits like you think or feel, there is no need to be humble when you're the best, but you wouldn't know anything about that would you?

I rest my case.

1. profile image0

As I do!

No reason to be an ally of yours.

2. alexandriaruthk profile image68
        alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

we still need more beef, we love beef

this is a personal country fight of UK like in 1982 -- they dont need allies

ganging up on ARGENTINA wow, the British can do it

and besides the US cant take side, they are the only superpower now, they are like a mother which shouldnt take side

1. profile image0

This is about diplomacy and beyond taking or not taking sides smile

1. alexandriaruthk profile image68

The US cant take side because they have also diplomatic relationship with Argentina

The UN should decide about this matter once and for all, if not then WAR is in the offing again like in 1982

1. profile image0

The UN shouldn't decide anything other than how to disband itself!

Did the UN removed the N and replaced it by the S??

1. profile image0

Is that supposed to make sense.

2. profile image0

The UN does not decide things for America smile

America decides things for the UN???

1. profile image0

We decide things for ourselves as a sovereign nation. What the UN does or does not do is irrelevant.

2. profile image54
          Entilzarposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The US a mother that should not take sides....

The US is more like a spoiled child that hasn't grown up yet.

12. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

I guess the Brits don't mind terrorism or other countries running ruffshod all over Europe, from all that I have read the US is the true source of their problems.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)