Concealed Weapons Permits

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (48 posts)
  1. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

I am X military, and 5 yrs as a police officer.
    I have a concealed weapon permit and I "carry."
    What are your concerns about concealed weapons permits and the 2nd amendment.

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My background is exactly the same as yours but I do not have a concealed carry permit! Make no mistake about it I am packing and I will use it if needed! Anybody who owns a weapon and does not carry it these days is asking to be a victim!

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Texan:
        Why don't you get your permit?
        I am also a Texan. It took me a day and a couple hundred bucks to get the permit. I carry legally.
        I agree with you 100% that:  "Anybody who owns a weapon and does not carry it these days is asking to be a victim!"
        If you have a "clean" record, the permit will be delivered about 2 weeks after finishing the course.
        Of course, one can "carry" if the weapon is visible, but there is no doubt that law enforcement officers will stop ya and check ya out when they see ya.

1. profile image0

I do not need permission from the State to do what the 2nd Amendment already allows.

No, you cannot carry legally a firearm in plain sight, not sure where you got that.

The Castle Doctrine allows anyone to carry their weapon in a vehicle if it is concealed!

1. qwark profile image60

Texan:
            Pls tell me where in the "constitution" it says specifically that you can carry a concealed weapon in any state.
            If you are going to target practice or hunting in many states, if the gun is in view it is legal to carry it.
            Any cop in any state will, using probable cause, stop you and check you out.
            They, the state, creates legislation controlling weapons.
            The US gov't does not control gun laws in states.

1. profile image0

I don't care about many States!

Where were you a Police Officer?

In Texas it is only legal to carry a concealed weapon!

Your credibility is now zero!

1. qwark profile image60

Texan:
                lolol...and yours HAS been "0" since your first comment.
                In your case, the IGNORE button has been depressed....:-)

1. profile image0

Whatever! This real former police officer knows the laws of the state where he lives, you on the other hand don't have a clue!

Go blow smoke up someone elses ass!

2. profile image0
                moonphlowerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Right you are!  You cannot legally carry a weapon in Texas in plain site but you don't need a carry concealed permit! smile

1. qwark profile image60

Moon:
                  Incorrect.
                  You can carry a weapon in your car if it can be seen.
                  You cannot carry a "concealed" weapon on your body in Texas without a permit.
                  I can carry a concealed weapon in the car and on my body with my permit

1. profile image0

"You can carry a weapon in your car if it can be seen."

Incorrect!

The weapon must be concealed in your vehicle!

2. profile image0

Sorry qwark, but a simple google search of the concealed to carry laws in Texas will give you your answer...you CANNOT openly carry a weapon in the state of Texas without a permit and you don't need a concealed to carry permit in that state either.  However, obtaining one would allow you to do both, but why bother when most will likely carry concealed.  Just so you don't think I'm talking out the side of my head, I do know a little about the law, I work in the legal field, some things you just gotta know.

2. profile image0

You need a conceal carry permit to carry the weapon on your person, your vehicle is a different matter entirely!

1. profile image0

I'm sorry Texan, that was what I was intending to convey...my apologies for the confusion.

2. profile image0
              Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Anything the Constitution does not specifically forbid is an automatic right. Besides, the Constitution places restrictions on government, not on the people. So it doesn't have to say specifically 'the right to carry', just like it doesn't have to say you can 'travel'.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image62
            Evan G Rogersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

right-the-fuck-on, Texan.

2. EFPotter profile image61
        EFPotterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

@ Texan: "Anyone who owns a weapon and does not carry it these days is asking to be a victim!" So, if a woman has a weapon but doesn't carry it to work and gets raped on the way home, she was asking for that? I think you gun aficionados need to think before you speak and realize that not everyone is going to walk around packing heat like you do--that doesn't mean they're asking for, or deserve, to be attacked.

Also, carrying a concealed weapon without a permit in a state that requires a permit (not all do) is still illegal. It's been ruled that states requiring permits is legal. You're also given the right to travel, but if you're caught driving without a license, you're still in trouble.

1. profile image0
          Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh really? I'm GIVEN the RIGHT to travel?

Who GIVES me RIGHTS? or you for that matter??

1. EFPotter profile image61

You're right--no one gives you the right to travel. It isn't in the constitution. It's just in law and precedent, which are the same. So, those laws and precedents GIVE you the right to travel.

The constitution, and as mentioned, laws and precedents, detail or GIVE your rights.  A right is due to everyone, enforced by law.

1. profile image0

Really? So first man and I suppose government, had to make a law that ALLOWED us to travel?

So you're saying our RIGHTS come from government???

Not the government, the law. There's a difference. There's also a difference between things we can do, and things that are absolutely guaranteed to be given to us, and to be protected for us.

1. profile image0

You keep refering to things (rights) being "given" to us and apparently you think it's being given to us by "law", but law isn't a thing but a concept created by men, it has no power to "give" us anything!

Our rights, to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, come from our creator, they are inherent in our being, our existence. We don't require law, government, or anyone else to "give" them to us! With the right to life, is the right to protect ourselves from violence by others, this too is a matter of "law" and as such we, as free men, have the right to do so by whatever means, we feel we need. What the courts have ruled does not matter when their rulings violate our rights.

3. tobey100 profile image61
        tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

25 years law enforcement here.  I carry, even in Church.  With what I've seen these many years I don't go to the store without mine.

4. i_am_Legend profile image61
        i_am_Legendposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree

2. profile image0

My concern, is why do I need a permit??? It's my constitutional RIGHT to carry!

As I stated, it's been ruled constitutional for states to require permits.

1. profile image0

"Law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it
          violates the right of an individual." --Thomas Jefferson to
          Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819.

One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

“It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it.”
          George Washington quotes

I think these guys say it all!

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, all you have is a right to bare arms

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
          Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A right to bare arms?  That is one of Michelle Obama's causes isn't it?

2. qwark profile image60

Adsense:
          CORRECT!

3. profile image0

Bare arms? Is that somehow different than carry weapons?

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74

Bare arms would be walking around with a sleeveless shirt.  Maybe your arms are guns maybe they are not.

1. profile image0

I was thinking it was bear, you got me!

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image64

Thank you for getting the joke. Sheesh. Only took 90 minutes
              roll

1. profile image0

Believe it or not some people do misspell words.

2. Arthur Fontes profile image74

I got it when you posted it but I was with a customer and could not reply.  lol

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64

I missed the Michelle Obama reference. never watching the news has a wonderfully refreshing effect...

2. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Law Enforcement officers better have a better reason to search me other than they suspect something, I'm assuming you know what probable cause is and the definition of arrest!

3. flread45 profile image59
    flread45posted 14 years ago

I carry a weapon on my hip in Mt.and I don't have a permit,as I use my hunting license as my permit in this state,but I do not conceal my weapon.

4. profile image0

"The US gov't does not control gun laws in states."

So there is no need to have a FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSE?

Thats gonna be news to a lot of gun dealers roll

5. profile image0
    moonphlowerposted 14 years ago

The laws of carrying concealed vary from state to state.  It is best if you're going to carry (concealed or not) that you check out your states laws.  If you travel with that weapon, it's also best to do a little research on the states that you'll be traveling into.  But I say carry on.

6. profile image0

Applicable law

(a-1)  A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1)  the handgun is in plain view; or

Like I said, zero credibility!

7. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Where I live we don't need guns [1].

1. I'd be allowed one[2] if I found the kangaroos that come on my property to be pests, but they haven't been a problem[3].

2. I'd first have to go for a shooters license.

3. The problem would quickly escalate[4] if I missed a kangaroo and hit one of the neighbors cows. Or if I aimed in the other direction and hit one of the other neighbors camels.

4. Where I live we don't need guns.

1. qwark profile image60

Darkside:
      You do have a lower murder rate than we do per 100k people.
      But if the criminal can get a gun, I want to even the odds.
      Here in the USA, if we'd outlaw guns, only outlaws would have em.

8. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I wish guns were never invented. But thats just me smile

9. profile image0

Does the second amendment mean a citizen can only bare arms at home?

Isn't it Bear arms? Yeah, I think it is.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)