The "Browning of America"

Jump to Last Post 51-62 of 62 discussions (280 posts)
  1. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

Don't worry, you have a couple months advance notice...

Remember...your original claim was that all conquerors force the conquered to give up their traditional ways..in the way that Anglo-Americans forced Native Americans and others to give up their languages, customs, and beliefs...

and your claim was refuted...

That was all I set out to do, and I can rest having accomplished my task...thanks for the dialogue...it's been awhile since I've discussed Armenian topics with anyone...

I'm glad to see that you are interested in this aspect of my culture Sabbie old boy....

My Native American, Anglo, Celtic, and French roots will have to wait for another time....

1. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Remember...your original claim was that all conquerors force the conquered to give up their traditional ways..in the way that Anglo-Americans forced Native Americans and others to give up their languages, customs, and beliefs..."

Not exactly, but I'm sure you'll have a nice book report about it for us soon.

2. Glenn S. profile image61
    Glenn S.posted 14 years ago

What happened to the "Browning of America" ?

I seem to recall mentioning that mixed-racial people are the fastest growing demographic in the US. I think we went way off topic after that.

3. mikelong profile image61

Failing values like physical and cultural genocide....just to point out one such concept...

Whose "values" are genocide?

And equating actual genocide with any academia-speak relativistic catch phrase is beyond offensive.

4. mikelong profile image61

The United States stands as one of the worst perpetrators of these acts.....

Which is why Turkey stands and laughs whenever the U.S. government puts pressure on them to admit to the Armenian Genocide...

I am speaking of actual genocide poor Saddie....over 10 million Native American peoples lived in North America alone prior to European colonization, with the largest impact against their populations being at the hands of Anglo-American and their "Manifest Destiny"....10 million...

Now, in terms of cultural genocide...which I'm sure you know the meaning of....we can look even today, from the criticism of "hyphenated Americans" to the ongoing creation of the "Mexican"...denying people their own space to present themselvs by projecting the stereotypes of the dominant society onto the minority....

Wounded Knee......both an example of cultural and physical genocide in action....

The reservationization of peoples....

This is not "academia-speak"...it is the talk of real people who see the real world....

You have shown, dear Sad, that you don't live in this real world..

I asked whose "value" is genocide. The Turks have nothing to laugh about and it was never the aim of the US government to kill all Native Americans.

And 'cultural genocide' is just another concept that could mean something but has been rendered meaningless by its over-application as an academic catch-phrase.

2. Sab Oh profile image56

"Wounded Knee......both an example of cultural and physical genocide in action...."

Wounded Knee was one massacre, not an act of genocide. It was not even a planned attack, but the result of a volatile situation gone wrong and an incompetent Colonel.

5. mikelong profile image61

Of course professor Sad....you must be right...

It's not a secret.

6. Sab Oh profile image56
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

"Now, in terms of cultural genocide...which I'm sure you know the meaning of....we can look even today, from the criticism of "hyphenated Americans" to the ongoing creation of the "Mexican"...denying people their own space to present themselvs by projecting the stereotypes of the dominant society onto the minority...."

To take the fact that some people do not like the ever-growing hyphenation of the descriptions of people (the fact of which contradicts your conclusion) and try to equate that to 'genocide' is ridiculously offensive.

7. profile image49
    nogirlposted 14 years ago

hi im jennalee and i HATE ZHU ZHU PETS they gave my sister cancer and now she is dead so i would be really cearfull if i were you

8. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

I appreciate it, A Texan.
    I agree with china man that you have a cool way of responding to people.  It's just not a talent of mine! lol

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes you just have to embrace the absurd, and there's a ton of absurdity on Hubpages!

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

God forbid! haha

My absurdity-embracer has a small load capacity I guess!

1. profile image0

There's always the tried and true classic

"Fuck em, just fuck em!"

I have a copyright on that by the way

1. profile image0

I can't say that word.
            That word is a juicy one that should be reserved for privacy, in my opinion.  People have mis-used it very often!
            (Your copyright has been infringed upon royally!)

1. profile image0

It certainly has been infringed on, I should get a lawyer. As for the the F word, well, that's entirely up to you, I'm a different kind of feller!

1. profile image0

You're....a fun person.   A nice person at heart, I think. 

Well, don't get too friendly with me, 'cause I've decided to commit a sin in the eyes of Ron and you-----I've decided to "preach".   Hub on the way.  Gonna take a little while.  Studying up for it.   I've got the shell of it going, unpublished, and have dedicated it to Ron.  He may not feel so honored, I dunno.   But it is what it is.....

1. profile image0

I think you misunderstood by me saying Ameeeeeeeen to Mark the other day, I decided that he looks for so much attention that I would now worship him! So anything he writes gets an Ameeeeeeen! I saw where you mistook what I was saying and tried to clear that up but maybe you never saw it.

I have never said what my feelings on Christianity are and probably never will, I believe you have as much right to say what you want and Mark and Ron have as well, its just that I intend to give them shit for their intolerance of others, I hope you understand now.

1. profile image0

OH!  Okay.  I really appreciate you clarifying that!  Yes, I did take it wrong.  But I wasn't mad at you;  just took it wrong.
                    Thanks.

2. profile image0

Oops.
                  I meant to Mark, not Ron.   I'd better get the names straight.  I'm easily confused sometimes.  Sorry.

9. mikelong profile image61

The Black Codes are the Slave Codes that were official until the end of slavery...when the unofficial, peer pressured Jim Crow and their unofficial police force, the Ku Klux Klan came into being....

But, so many Klansmen were also official authorities...actually all, being that whites were the only ones allowed to sit on juries into the 20th century...that the two simply meld together...

"Birth of a Nation" is considered one of the greatest movies ever made...which speaks volumes...

It wouldn't be until Hernandez v. Texas in the 1950's that American citizens of Mexican descent could sit on juries...and that was only based on the precedent of the African Americans and the establishment and enforcement of the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment....

10. Friendlyword profile image60
    Friendlywordposted 14 years ago

"TLMinut wrote:
    Why is it okay to hope that whites are wiped out and browned?! If I came on here and claimed it would be wonderful to lighten all the blacks, what would be said? I'd be denounced as a racist! It's quite offensive to know so many hope "my" race gets wiped out, do you really think it's okay to feel this way?"

Stop worrying! The browning of America or any other country is not going to make "Whites" extinct. People of every color in every part of the world will continue to populate this earth. Some people's concern about America being takin over by brown people, and treating them like Jim Crow Blacks is a "Guilt ridden Hysterical fear"

How could you rationally think people of any color would what to do something like that in the United States again?

1. TLMinut profile image61
      TLMinutposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not worrying that whites will be extinct, I'm annoyed by the people who claim to hope so then claim accepting diversity is the wonderful end result. That's illogical.

Then to ignore that native Americans took slaves before any whites were around and that Africans did the same is to vilify whites for doing what every other culture has done when it's claimed that whites are at fault but no one else is.

Whatever else is claimed, at least "American culture" as it was led to the strongest, wealthiest nation on earth. We just need to remember/discover what that culture was to continue. Seeing all the corruption doesn't make me feel it's something we want to export to every other nation. We also have to remember that other cultures and geographies WON'T thrive with American culture; it may have been the best for us at the time but it's not the only right way.

11. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Its never been a 'white nation' lol giggles n stirs the grits...smile

On reflection if you mean who holds the most ahem  money..well dat be another story...but see  that doesnt necessarily equate with most power...well thats my 2cents worth smile

I think its just a wierd kinda post personally..

(opposites attract like birds n the bees..so yep the whole world various shades of pale-mocha smile.... and ya gotta count all them babies , from um outside of the union iffn ya knows what  I mean...hehe

12. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Slavery has been around way before the Americas were ever discovered,which doesnt make it any less right , just sayin...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)