Was it really that bad???

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (38 posts)
  1. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Last night the Canadian Women Hockey team won gold.  It was exciting, everyone was in a celebratory mood.  So the women decided to drink a beer and smoke a cigar in celebration on the ice after the spectators had all left and they were alone.  For some reason, this is getting bad press.  The girls are being shown as "low class". 

In the words of Whoopi Goldberg; What the hell???

Do people get upset when Nascar drivers shake up champagne bottles and spray it everywhere and glug as much as they can?

Do we get angry when a new father cracks a beer and lights a cigar after welcoming his baby to the world?

NO!

So why do we care now?  What is so horrible about drinking a beer and smoking a cigar after a huge accomplishment such as gold at the olympics?

I am disappointed that such an amazing victory is being blemished by such ridiculousness.

Do you think that if the mens hockey team did the same thing that we would care?

1. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good for them is what I say!!!   smile

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I honestly don't see the big deal. Unless people want to pretend that 18 year olds don't drink - and that playing sports makes you perfect. And yes if the guys did it, it wouldn't be mentioned as much.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think there will always be people who 'just have to have their say'
      because it gets a reaction...stereotypical old farts no doubt   lol

3. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

ok, first off, women drinking beer and smoking a cigar?

i'm sorry, but even today women who drink beer are considered by many to be of a lower class and smoking a cigar too?  Sorry again, but all us smokers realize the world is trying to outlaw tobacco for Health reasons! 

Secondly, an Olympian from anywhere around the world Especially one who just won a Gold Medal is considered to be a Role Model.  Just who do you think these Women Hockey Players were being a Role Model to? And what kind of appropriate behavior do you think they were Modeling?

As for Nascar drivers - Champagne is considered to be a First Class beverage USED for celebrations!  It is highly understood they are Celebrating a Victory, and not just partying.

When a new Father has a beer and a cigar it is a Personal Celebration - he isn't attempting to be a role model at that moment.

megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rafini, they were doing this out of the public eye.  The stadium was empty of spectators.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If it made the media's attention, then it was in the public's eye.

The media hound and stalk in some case, professional athletes. And, even private parts of their life, become public knowledge, making it in the public eye.

These girls and their coach should have made sure, EVERYONE was out of the building. No one should have been around for their celebration, except for themselves and the coach.

Their mistake. And, as for what Rafini said- Correct. Women drinking a beer, according the "elitist", upper wealth family, the highest social class standing, it is bad form for a woman, even in a glass. It's a stereotype, yes, but it's a fact.

A woman who drinks beer, either from a glass or out of the bottle is seen as scum, filth, dirt, and a few others. It is considered appalling in some people's mind. smile

Well, the final point is, who really cares?  Why should this tarnish their reputations?  Wouldn't you celebrate after winning gold?  This just all seems completely ridiculous.

1. Rafini profile image82
            Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You better believe I would celebrate!
            but i'm a mousy type - i would celebrate in private.

2. Dao Hoa profile image59
            Dao Hoaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are still many people form low opinion about women's drinking!

It is just the social thing of our civilization, and majority rule. We must conform to it.

1. profile image0
              Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

majority rule. we must conform? Uh, not on your life.

2. TheGlassSpider profile image64
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, dear, I'm going to have to disagree. In classy circles, beer is becoming the new wine; there are all kinds of types and flavors of it, and people are learning to pair it with foods. And while some places are pushing for bans on tobacco, cigars are more expensive and generally considered higher class than cigarettes (historically, only the rich could afford them and they're made with the best parts of the plant, whereas cigarettes are basically made of sweepings off the floor).

This exposure has nothing to do with the beer or cigars, it has everything to do with double standards for women and perverted people who think of blowjobs every time a woman enjoys a big fat stoagie.

ETA: Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. wink

couldn't have said it better myself!  CHEERS!

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
          TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! CHEERS right back at'cha *raises a glass of Blue Moon, and bites the end off her stoagie* wink

4. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Phoooeyyy tongue

5. Eaglekiwi profile image73

Double standards...um  suck

Perhaps if theyd snorted in  a back room like some upstanding polticians do we would applaud them  lol

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol

6. profile image0

After Tiger Woods, I should think the world would give up on athletes as role models. They are people - just like us.

And Rafini, I think of you as I drink my beer tonight. Your sterotype is unfair.

But I'll give you points for the health risks of tobacco.

it's not my stereotype - it merely exists

7. profile image0

I am truly astonished that women drinking beer is low class. Is it low class for a man to drink beer? My husband and I go out for a few beers and listen to music many Friday nights. We both drink beer and I don't think either one of us is trash. Neither do I think of all of the other couples and singles who join us is trash.

For what it matters I am an Ivy League grad and he is an engineer/physicist. If we wanted to be, we could probably be elitist snobs.

What should we be drinking?

I personally think it's ridiculous to consider anyone low class based on what they drink.  To me, low class is based on behavior.

8. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 14 years ago

It was perhaps an inappropriate move, but I'm not put off or embarrased at all.  They deserve to celebrate their victory.  They should have left it in the locker room, though.

The media are making something out of nothing (or not much), as usual.  It'll blow over soon enough, and everyone will forget about it hopefully, once the games are through.

Congrats to the Canadian Girls Hockey Team! ...but then I'm a wee bit biased.

9. profile image0

I agree it was a great victory. And their celebration takes nothing away from it.

Some people just want perfect imagery so they can feel good about the world.

10. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Congrats them winning! smile

11. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

These girls had just accomplished there life's dream. Olympic gold. they worked hard, trained hard, and played hard. Why do people assume that because they strive to do something special they are automatically public property.
    Let them enjoy what they have achieved. Do not diminish the experience for them by judging them.

12. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

sorry, didn't mean to ignore the victory - i'm not a sports fan.

CONGRATULATIONS CANADA!!  May you have many more (except when opposing USA  smile )

13. alexandriaruthk profile image68
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

congratulations to the Canadas women hockey team, the media is way too much!

14. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Scotty Lago US Gold Medal winner in snowboarding received a lot of heat over some pics taken with his gold medal.  the press was so negative that Scotty left Vancouver.

???
      (were they nude or something ridiculous like that?)

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He had a pic of a girl on her knees kissing the medal they were clothed.

it sounds tasteless...but, who took the pic?  if it was a private pic it should have stayed that way and if it was taken by the press then they are to blame not Scotty Lago.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
            Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was completely private I believe it was in his hotel room.  I just heard Scotty Lago's people are upset about the fact that the hockey players were on Olympic property.

It was a Michael Phelps moment for Mr. Lago.

15. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

The game last night was really really good and I love how women play with heart instead of muscle.  I so enjoyed watching the two teams battle it out and they were both exceptional.  The only thing I found disappointing was the sour expressions on the USA team.  It seemed out of place for winning silver.  Especially since the Finland team was so excited about their bronze, you would think that the american women would have been at least a little happy to have a medal.  I know it sucks to lose, but still...

16. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I agree megs, there's no excuse for the 'sore loser' attitude when you're representing your country with an olympic medal. I thought the same thing when I watched plushenko receive the silver medal. 

congrats to the canadian team! smile

17. Eaglekiwi profile image73

Stereotyping is snobbish, arrogant ,seems to be self-seeking in its intentions. (Im better than you ,mentality)
    I detest it, greatly smile

18. Betty Reid profile image60
    Betty Reidposted 14 years ago

Maybe the media just needs something to talk about, and the Canadians gave them something.

Like its hard to give the media something to write about , not lol, honestly  I wisd sometimes Id become a journalist , they make it look easy and uncreative, but must smile when the checks roll in.....

Good luck to all the contestants ,smoking ,drinking or otherwise wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)