quid pro quo

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

something for something is the definition.

Dear believer, this forum is opened to enable you to both share and learn about true covenant and those experiences of others in relation to it.

Using your understanding &/or knowledge of covenant, present any instance where Y`shua gave you something and then what you gave him in return according to the promises of the full covenant.

{ please no chapter/verse quoting, in your own words or paraphrased is fine }

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He offered me salvation and I gave Him my heart.

I know, I know, you're surely wanting a much more studied, eloquent response, but that's my answer.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I challenge your statement that the only covenant possible is with YHWH. YHWH fits with the second sphere (Chokmah) of the Tree of Life. There are many other god forms corresponding to that and other spheres.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because he believes in a creator. lol

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

been a small moment the Cagsil.
        would enjoy listening to your information on covenant.

unrelated: did you check out the lulu self publishing, seriously, it is the way to go.

3. profile image0

how so?
    Sephirot is the seat of mercy -also the covering of the Ark of the covenant. Therefore the totality of the covenant - Grace.

Grace is the source of covenant: before, within and without law, thus, Y`shua Moshiach.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

YHWH belongs to Chokmah, together with Zeus, Jupiter and others. The great Goddess ties in with Binah. The golden child and killed and risen saviours belong to Tiphareth: Nefertum, Horus, Osiris, Christ.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is to my understanding true in it's entirety. smile

1. profile image0

earnest,

In fact the Hebrew Deity has little or anything to do with nor relationship with the other assumed entities. Yes, according to Talmud -and the element of Kabbalah within- there are many names attached to Y`shua (YHWH is one example), but still the same Entity.

Hebrews assigned titles to each instance of life within the Adamic, Abram, Mosaic agreements.

4. profile image0

Seems a lot of intermixing between Greek, Hindi, Kabbalah.
    I don't see the connection between those and covenant.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dear me. You are not aware of the roots of your ridiculous belief in a creator? Shame on you, 17 days. This bribery of which you speak does not work the way you think it does. If it ain't written, it ain't so, sweetie pie. Y'all don't get to make them up as you go. Surely you have worked this out by the knowledge the AWESOME CREATOR! placed in your head?

No? ... wink

5. TheGlassSpider profile image65
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

The tree is a universal paradigm--a sort of cosmic filing cabinet (in a way). The patterns of everything in the universe fit on it. All the ancient stories/pantheons point to the same truth...This is why they overlap/echo on the tree.

6. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I see covenant as signifying a pact between deity and humanity. This is present in many past and present religious beliefs.

And yes, I agree with GlassSpider, the tree is a cosmic filing cabinet that enables us to see the parallels between spiritual concepts from all regions and times.

7. profile image0

hey Spider, this I am familiar with.
    The Tree of Life is part of the Adamic covenant.
    I am trying to see WriteAngled's point.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image65
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Twenty-One...I didn't know if you were familiar or not...Not trying to be condescending smile

If I may, I think WriteAngled is suggesting that since there is more than one archetype, there can be more than one kind of covenant. Since many deities exist upon the tree, there can be multiple promises...Of course, from a Kabbalistic perspective, they are all just different faces of the same thing--so ultimately I suppose it's a matter of where one finds themself in terms of the paths.

2. profile image0

that is what i was thinking.
      i should have better explained the forum opening statement, to clarify. jeje.

:: how has the Adamic covenant fulfilled given you
      and what have you given in return ::

Adamic....

Adam Kadmon?

1. profile image0

not so much. more like adam (collective humanity). jeje.
          only because the name/title suggests all humanity v. a single heavenly man.

3. profile image0

ps, WriteAngeled, you seem well versed in Kabbalah. Very cool.
      Deborah Sexton is as well.
      Having read a few of her hubs is -for lack of terminology- enlightening. I know little about Kabbalah practices.

Well, there are different systems here. I am not a practising Jewish Kabbalist and don't know whether Deborah is or not.

I use the concepts within a general Western esoteric viewpoint. Some refer to this as Western Qabala to distinguish it from the Judaistic approach.

That is not to say that I denigrate Judaistic Kabbalah. The Judaistic Kabbalah, in my understanding, sees the spheres as diverse emanations of the many names of YHWH.

Western Qabala takes a broader view, seeing the Tree, as GlassSpider said, as a filing cabinet to help see the correspondences between diverse spiritual systems. Within this view, I see YHWH as one concept on the Tree rather than as the overriding source. In my understanding, the Source as such is unknowable in our present condition, which also fits with some concepts of Eastern mysticism. We grasp elements of the Source in the diverse ways it manifests. These are interpreted in a multitude of ways, which are dependent on our personal and cultural outlook.

Adam Kadmon is humanity in its highest form, which is a goal to which we all strive. The covenant between humanity and deity has been voiced in more than one religious system.

The descent of the Tree is the path by which we enter into manifestation in the physical plane. Our task is to ascend the Tree once more to reach union with the unknowable. On this journey, we help in the task of creation and also help to raise all of creation to the highest plane. To me, the covenant is the promise that we will achieve this task, although perhaps in more than one lifetime.

4. Paper Wolf profile image59
      Paper Wolfposted 14 years ago

Technically as you describe a covenant where one party receives something and the other gives something in return - is less a covenant than an exchange. A covenant is normally a unilateral agreement where the stronger party establishes all of the agreement and the weaker party can either accept or reject. There may be benefits to accepting and/or consequences to rejecting. But either decision does not negate the covenant on the stronger parties side.

An agreement where two equal parties agree quid pro quo or "something for something" if one side lets you down, the other side is free. These are two different concepts. Semantics I know, but I thought I would add that. Forgive me if this is a digression.

1. profile image0

Not at all, Wolf. Exactly one of the undertones of the thread. Because in light of the Adamic 'covenant' it was not a contract between 'God' and humanity, but -as i said- quid pro quo.
        Meaning: all things in common; complete sharing.

5. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I am not as educated as the rest of you all..  I have no knowledge as to what name to put on it. I just know that I have a one with the God of Abraham.
         I didn't read about in a book. Call it what you want to. And I do not care how many other fruit is in what ever tree you are talking about.
         Call me selfish if ya want to... I got mine...  want some of it?   No I didn't think so.  But if you had some in your pocket you would know that it was real.
         There is nothing I can tell ya to make ya believe me so we won't talk about that.
         Wanta talk about what the scriptures actually say concerning prohesy?   No I didn't think so.

That's sad.  Oh well I tried.  I'm off the hook.

6. profile image0

lol Jerami, what was that?

I am asking people to relate their covenant applications w/ those Y`shua is giving, that's all.
      Covenant is the root of the reason you and i are here today, why Y`shua manifest, etc etc.

The request was tell us about the things you have given that were given to you within the agreement.

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I "apologize" to all for sounding so strange. Just came in home with a headache. Totally misunderstood something, didn't stop for a minute to think about it.  OOps

7. profile image0

actually, no. that is great.

ps, Brenda, news has it you are considering departing from HP?

8. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

Was.
      But decided to stay til I'm dead or banned.  I'm stubborn. haha
      I've determined to do some sermonizing in hubs, God willing.
      Am working on the first one.   Hopefully it will get past the non-published stage soon.

P.S.  I do retain my womanly prerogative to change my mind at any time (on the staying part).  wink

9. profile image0

right on.

what i am trying to uncover is believers actual understanding of covenant. I was re-inspired by another Hubber to do so. Though I am not sure she is aware of it, yet.

10. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

I see.
      Well, it's a good subject.
      I'm interested in reading all the responses you get!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)