The 20th Century

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (20 posts)
  1. qwark profile image62
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Seriously considering "mankind" from EVERY aspect, would you say that "it" has already experienced the best CENTURY of "it's" short existence on this planet?
    Please backup your responses.

1. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like that old saying says, the best is yet to come.

1. Cagsil profile image72
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. The best of our potential is still on the horizon. There is always room for improvement. wink

2. qwark profile image62
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pani:
        lol...back it up..c'mon!

2. Arthur Fontes profile image75
      Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No I do not believe mankind has experienced its best century.

This is my theory and something I have observed during my life.  Women have gained power,wealth and knowledge at an extremely advanced pace.  From this point of time I can see an increasing number of female leaders.  Almost one in the US, Hillary was close. I also see ladies standing up for women's rights all over the globe.  If the rate of female power accumulation continues I could see a world dominated by that aspect of humanity.

I would think that with the female half of humanity controlling most positions of power the species could see a massive transformation.

1. qwark profile image62

Arthur"
        How do we overcome the fragmenting power of differences in religious belief, that currently exists and jeopardizes peace in every corner of this planet?
        How do we overcome a burgeoning population of illiterates?
        How do we institutionalize universal education so that all people can support themselves and their offspring?
        How do we overcome the massive numbers of infant death from starvation and lives existing in squalor and deprevation?
        Do ya have any answers for those poignant questions?

1. Arthur Fontes profile image75
          Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kind of a small leap from your original question.

3. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You do know we are in the 21st Century. ???

2. qwark profile image62
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

I asked for backup to responses.
    Ty...:-)

3. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I am of the understanding that a new way of thinking is on the horizon. A way that allows people to integrate their lives, so as to live happily and in harmony.

It will take the world by storm. It will allow greater achievements to be made in areas of scientific and medical, so cures can be made. It will allow people the ability to realize they are already a big part of something bigger than themselves.

It will reveal itself during the next century. You'll know when it arrives. smile wink

1. qwark profile image62

cags:
      You know something we don't?
      We share in this forum c'mon, give!  :-)

It the only logical next step for humankind, so as to evolve to another level of awareness, per se.

It only makes sense. We, as human beings, use very little of our mind-space comparative to it's size. We, know we have an ability to love unconditionally. We, know we have the adaptability to focus our thoughts and actions. We, know we have an unlimited ability for retaining wisdom.

What brings that to be the center of attention, instead selfish individuality is or has to be a new way of thinking.

To me, it make sense.

1. qwark profile image62

Cags:
          ..but you are being idealistic.
          We humans give lips service to being a "loving species" that "gains wisdom" from living yada yada yada...but in fact, we continue to allow ourselves to be fragmented by differences in race, class status, wealth, religion etc to the point that there will never be a "meeting of the minds where all of humanity comes together to work in concert for it's survival.
          Man has been fighting and killing since long before recorded time.
          Why do think he will change his "deadly" ways in the near future?

Because, when the new way of thinking begins, those who chose to live in the dangerous, war type mentality, will be the ones who will be unwittingly and unknowingly, believing they can survive. Which they won't.

Right now, these people are doing as they please and no one to stop them. With the new way of thinking, these people lose their power. wink

Those who chose to cheat or be dishonest in their actions against others will no longer happen. People will be more into themselves and what's going on around them, as well as, have a unified voice.

Yes, with the new way of thinking, ends discrimination, segregation, separation tactics and racism.

Resources amassed to combat poverty and starvation. Which will end, eventually.

Do you think I've given this a little bit of thought? smile

1. qwark profile image62

Cags:
              LOLOL   no, not serious thought.
              You offer "wishful" thinking. The kind we'd all love to see become reality.
              But the reality is that there are 6.3 billion people, who in the main just exist.
              In another generation the human population will gain another 2 - 3 billion and the conditions for them will only get worse.
              I don't beleive in "miracles" or "genies" popping out of rubbed lanterns offering wishes.
              I'd like you to explain what is going to cause this "new way of thinking," to become a reality.
              So far ya've offered nuthin' but opinion. C'mon. Elaborate.

You know, apparently it's too difficult for you. Since, you are now presenting me with a limited mind, controlled apparently by a limited view. But, interesting question to say the least. smile Thank you.

1. qwark profile image62

Cags:
                  If you were really concerned about my "limited mind" and you were a truly humane and magnanimous human creature, you'd take pity on this fellow who finds it "difficult" to understand that which won't be divulged.
                  But then, since you deny me the enlightenment you have gained in living evidently a "special" kinda life, I guess I'll just have to accept the fact that you "don't" share and go on with my dull and dreary life.
                  I'll manage.  :-(

For your sad statement, it doesn't do any good to try to explain it to you, so you can understand. You will have to simply wait to learn, because obvious you're too cynical in your way of thinking now.

I did take pity on you, in the first few posts I posted to this forum. You asked for responses, about what the future has in store or if the best has already passed us by.

When I give you an answer to your question and you want more details, for which, I cannot give you....then you hack your spew of negativity against my post.

Time will tell, who is correct and who isn't.

2. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smilesmile

4. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 14 years ago

qwark;
    I appreciate your provocative bent.  However, any prediction of the future is of necessity based on the past and present, and any attempts to extrapolate coming events are seldom of a truly practical, visionary nature.

It's easy to be pessimistic about the future of this planet.  I believe this pessimism is a learned thing, being affected by many outside influences (others' opinions, stress, poor diet...).  However, this attitude is the antithesis of open-mindedness.  Something we absolutely need to move forward.

Unfortunately, you're asking cagsil for proof that the future looks bright.  Since no one (not even cagsil) can divine the future, it'll be up to more open-minded, selfless visionary thinkers to steer things in a more humane direction.

We need visionary thinkers who are constantly questioning things, including their own beliefs.  The scientific community does this a matter of course.  If it weren't for such people, the earth would still be flat wink, we'd still be reading by candlelight (not such a bad thing, really), and we wouldn't be typing messages to each other, across the world at light speed.

It's more fun being optimistic (or opto-mystic), I think.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)