Hubtivity and HubFeed Options.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (117 posts)
  1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Suggest a feature: Options for limiting self inclusion in hubtivity and hubfeed.

I always feel like somebody's looking over my shoulder with every word I write at HP.  I turn most of this stuff off at Facebook, because I like my communications to be between me and the person or people involved.  I appreciate that the forums are public anyway, as are hubs, so my words are public, and as such can be seen by all if stumbled upon, but I don;t like the fact that they're beamed onto the screen of everyone who follows me, the minute they log in.

My best friend has just joined HP, and currently being the only person he follows, everything I've said or done in the last 24 hours is right there in his face.  And whilst I'm not embarrassed (as such), I do feel a little intruded upon. 

No offence Jay (if you're reading this), lol, wink

A possibility? smile

1. Faybe Bay profile image66
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry about earlier Mrvoodoo, I hope you are not angry with me. I was in the forums, not on hubtivity, because it was my big foot in my mouth that started the mess in the first place.

Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL, no of course not, I just wondered where all these people were suddenly coming from.  I knew it wasn't random, and that there was a reason they were coming, I just had to track it down to figure out what that reason was. smile

I'm glad a few more people got to watch the film, and their feelings regarding it I leave to them.

Good sleep?

Four hour nap this afternoon, how was work?

Not too bad, thanks.

Two in the morning here now and getting later by the minute, I'm gonna have to go grab some shut eye myself.

I suspected that I may well be the only person on HP who doesn't like this thing anyway, maybe I'm just paranoid.

Take care and Sweet dreams. smile

Good night watch out for them dang bedbugs. smile I have to sleep early almost 9:pm here. Early day for me tomorrow. smile

2. marcel285 profile image63
      marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol nothing is private on the net.

Yeah, you're right of course. 

But sooner or later my mum might join, and find out I've been checking out all the hot Indian Aunty hubs big_smile

I'd never live it down. wink

2. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

No, sorry, um, sweet dreams to me, I'm the one going to sleep, you've been to sleep, lol, um, pleasant day to you.

Have a good one. smile

I found an interesting setting. Go to your profile, then the home page click edit preferences, make your changes and save. Good night, I really am going.

Thanks Faybe, unfortunately as far as I can see this only limits the ability for people to be able to contact you directly.

I guess I shall either have to lump it or leave for greener pastures.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image65
          TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can understand where you're coming from...Especially on having your stuff flashed in newbies' faces all day. However, at the same time, I really enjoy being able to easily check and see if someone has replied to a comment I've left (as you have wink ) and what the people I'm following are talking about on a given day.

But! For me free will trumps...if people want to be able to choose to turn it on or off, I think they ought to be able to choose. Maybe the HP staff will make it an option on your "edit profile" page.

ETA: I certainly hope such an issue wouldn't make you leave HP, by the way. For heaven's sake, I JUST found you around here, and I need time to read your hubs!

Everybody's always leaving just when I've discovered them. What's up with that?!

Hey GlassSpider, yep, I've come to the conclusion that it's just me, lol, I am by nature something of a sociopathic recluse.

I gave this a sneaky bump as I saw Maddie lurking, and hoped that she might take notice, and then I got even more freaked when she seemed to be saying that she'd been reading through peoples private e-mails sent via Hubpages.

And it's not that I'm sending out dodgy e-mails or anything, or upto no good in any way, shape or form, But I do value privacy.

Anyways I'm sure I won't leave, but will learn to deal with it or become less active.

Nice to meet you too, and I'm glad you enjoyed my monster under the bed nonsense, lol, it was fun to write. smile

Catch ya laters.

Sociopathic recluse, eh? Sounds like we might have something in common...Just check out the avatar. wink

I know what you mean about the emails, although I would hope that they don't go sorting through them unless there's a good reason to do so (I mean, who has time to read all that stuff...can you imagine the bulk of it), but really...anything we transmit through the internet can be seen by SOMEONE we wouldn't expect, I'm sure.

I sometimes wonder if privacy isn't an illusion these days, but I'm sure that's just my paranoid side coming out to play...more and more often LOL.

And I did enjoy your Hub. Monsters under the bed are an important subject! I can imagine parents bringing their children to your Hub...researching the monster under the bed, setting a trap, and getting rid of nightmares. wink

*bows deeply* It's always an honor to meet a good Hubber, and even more to meet a great one. You have a nice day, and I hope you get an option to protect your privacy more.  smile

You're too kind, and that is one scary looking spider, you wouldn't get me within a mile of that thing. big_smile  Always good to know that there's a few more sociopathic recluses around, I'd hate to be the only one.

I know what you're saying about nobody would bother to read through them all, and you're right of course, I just don;t like the fact that somebody can, if they so chose to do so.

Being a little paranoid is probably a good thing. wink

As for the monsters under the bed I read the other day of parents making 'monster under the bed' spray, from like Febreze or something, to spray under the bed to keep monsters away, I thought that was a cool idea too.

Take it easy.

2. profile image0
              Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Im up to no good.
              I stalk everyone.
              You all know it.  smile
              I think Maddie meant she looked into the emails AFTER a complaint was made.
              Yeah, hubtivity makes me nervous as all heck. BUT I dont really think everyone's looking at it. (I was kidding about the stalking thing...)

LOL, yeah I appreciate that Maddie has far better things to be doing with her time, then reading through the sparse few e-mails I send via Hubpages.

But I hope it was following a complaint, and not a preemptive to a complaint being made.

Anyways, I guess it's not a huge problem, but I did pretty much abandon Facebook the moment my family figured out how to use it, and forced me to add them. big_smile

1. profile image0

I saw the thread, it was a complaint related thingy.
                  this is the only "community" im involved in, and ive told no one I know.

everyone neeeds some breathing space...

Breathing space, exactly. 

The more I promote HP amongst those I know, the more I'm shooting myself in the foot, so have stopped doing it.  Because the first thing people ask when you recommend the place is, 'who are you over there?'

And I don't necessarily want everybody I know in 'real' life looking inside my head, lol.

Sign of a guilty conscience perhaps.

2. profile image0

sad

3. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

Actually, I completely agree with you Mrv. This is in fact one feature of HP that I least like, the fact that others can see our hubitivity. If anything, it only makes it easier for people to stalk you...or just generally keep an eye on your personal communication - an unnecessary intrusion as far as I can see.

Finally, thanks for that myownworld, that's exactly how I feel.

I feel like people suspect I'm up to all manner of dodgy deeds now, lol, 'hey, what's he got to hide, the dodgy looking guy over there in the mask'. big_smile Haha, but I'm really not.

As somebody who enjoys writing, it's always nice to be read, but it's my hubs that I want read, not every dumb-assed comment I happen to leave in the forums. smile

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I don't use hubtivity or hubfeed options. Therefore, I see no need for changing. Whenever I want to check out my fans/followers, I go directly to their hub.

I received notification about new hubs published by those I follow and let's me know. I use the forum thread main page, instead of the feed.

But, that's just my way. smile

1. profile image0

hubtivity IS on your person's profile page..
      the point is, not everyone wants others to know everything they say.
      and its all searchable.

I personally would LOVE to have the chance to opt out!

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And, should HubPages actually allow you to do that on the profile page, then you would end up seeing more "ads" taking up that space.

So, which would you prefer? The ads or your activity?

Just a thought. smile I'll leave it at that. smile

1. profile image0

do what on a profile page?

put ads on a commercial site?

fine with me.

That's fair enough, I guess everybody uses HP differently, and I don't want it changed as such, just that the option to opt out or limit it would be something I'd appreciate.

I'm sure that many people (if not most) love the HubFeed, etc.

I'm just not one of them.

5. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

doomsday pact, Im in.  smile Ill make y'all cookies when the world ends?

You've got mail.smile

1. profile image0

YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive toatlly been checking it every five minutes all day and had NONE!!!!

i just recently said...
        f...it, and closed it..

ahahahahha

I had a phone call, my old boss. It is hard to type and carry on a conversation.

1. profile image0

no kidding. I hope its all good.

Yeah, he is hanging on a line I baited. I know a company for sale, trying to get him to buy it and give me a job. smile

2. profile image0

you will have mail tomorrow.
        thank you.
        did you go for a walk yet? prolly not. You will.
        xo

6. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

big_smile too late! we've already hijacked it!

LOL, I did kind of notice, but as I was at least equally guilty, I'll let you both off.

p.s. you both type really fast. smile

1. profile image0

I have a new computer.  smile

2. myownworld profile image73
        myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey, I was TRYING to stay on topic....! ok...will behave now....besides, you never know who's 'spying' on us now....

see ya all later! And be good OR I'll find out what you've been up to through that hubtivity of yours!! cool

1. profile image0

have good one mow.
          xo

LOL, I know, my best mate is probably reading all this as we speak, and might not be happy. wink

Jay, I love you dude, just stay out of my head, lol. big_smile

Take it easy MOW, see you around.

I'LL BE WATCHING YOU! big_smile

1. myownworld profile image73
            myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

* shivers....but laughing at the same time! see you later...and let's hope Big brother has his hands too full to bother with us...! wink

LOL, laters MOW.

Have a good one. smile

3. profile image0

nobody ever stays on topic when Im here.  smile wait..that might not be good...

you shouldn't worry, everyone usually just leaves when I'm here.

Yeah, it's all your fault DM, lol. big_smile

Just kidding, Maddie will have seen it earlier when in the forums,  even though she chose not to comment.  So you never know, things could happen. smile

1. profile image0

big_smile

big_smile

Have fun.

7. Faybe Bay profile image66
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

No I did not take my walk, hanging head in shame. smile

1. profile image0

you will. so will I.

You guys type faster than I can refresh the page, MrV is right. again... smile

Tut tut tut, haha. smile

it's 5:20 here, and so cold, not beach weather.

1. profile image0

ok, you have no reason to feel bad AT ALL. But, if I was anywhere near a beach right now..and its 525 right now...
          id be there. but thats just me.  I miss the sea sooooo much....

Well, in that case I'll let you off, but that doesn't mean I've forgotten. smile

8. Faybe Bay profile image66
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

Did I ever tell you I was drowned three times? Well I didn't die, and no mouth to mouth. Once in Lake Erie, Once in a man made lake, and once in a swimming pool by a person who got carried away dunking me, thinking it was fun. Scarred for life. Love the sun, pushing my luck with water.

1. profile image0

walk on the shore

I know, I've just been lazy. I took my grandson to the beach whenever that was, a year ago? Anyway, we were building a sand castle and he buried me, it was all so fun. But the tide was coming in and we didn't notice. He was running and getting water in the bucket, it would be all sloshed out and just a drop left when he came back.

Suddenly this unexpected wave came and hit him in the back of the head, not hard, he didn't fall, but you should have seen his face. He was so disgusted, but he didn't cry.

1. profile image0

I could write a book of near drowning expierences with me and my sisters.
          I love the water, in particular, the sea. I cant help it.

the reason I havent been in years is hubby is scared of it. and Im not allowed out on my own. someone might "see" me.

If you dont want to go, thats fine, but I feel like you do.

I want to go, but not alone. I guess I am sort of a loner at home, but need help in public, unless I'm working, at which point I am someone else entirely.

That's damn unlucky, or maybe incredibly lucky. 

I'm not too sure which. smile

I go for incredibly lucky, or protected or something. I have been hit by a truck and drowned. Either I am lucky or pressing my luck...

I'm sure you've plenty of luck left in you yet.

Just steer clear of water-bodies and oncoming trucks from now on. smile

Well, oncoming trucks for sure anyways.

Ever heard the one about "Your momma's so stupid she got hit by a parked car?" I got hit by a parked truck. It started moving with no one in it and pinned me to the lamp head I was installing on a new street light. I am lucky to be alive, and to still have my leg...

But it was a parked truck, so unlucky too? Work related so I couldn't sue anybody...
            I am thankful, and puzzled at the same time. smile

LOL, yep, heard that one, didn't realize it was about you though. big_smile

Unexplained things terrible and beautiful both.  It sure is a strange old world and it's good to keep an open-mind about anything and everything.

You're lucky.

Gonna go take a break from computer, my backs starting to hurt a little, lol, take care. smile

1. profile image0

smile
                me to...gotta run
                Take good care all
                see ya on the flip side.
                this world may be old, but im stuck in it...i hope to make it as much fun as possable

later Justine, Mr. V.

Hello Ms Spider!

9. TheGlassSpider profile image65
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

That's weird...thought I hit the reply button on Faybe's post about her parked truck accident.

Yikes.

Yes, parked truck, that's me. My son was very upset when he heard the joke, he said "Hey, thats not right, you're not stupid."

Awww! How sweet!

How are you today?

Sorry I missed you, I was off reading, instead of writing, lol. Trying to catch up on some of the people's newest hubs. Hokey wrote some for his friend who passed away. He's a great poet.

YOu didn't miss me...you just had a delayed reaction smile I might check out the poetry.

I'm telling MrVoodoo here about the arachnid situation in his part of the world so he can be ready for squishing and avoiding venom.

Okay, have fun. I really have to do stuff around my house, been neglecting a lot for the hub world, time to get back to the real one. sad

Well, you have fun too! Always good to see you.

I guess I really am going to have change back to a friendlier avatar...everyone leaves when this one comes around.

10. TheGlassSpider profile image65
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Maybe I should do some informative spider hubs. Hmm....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)