Is ice hockey a real sport?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (77 posts)
  1. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

Following Canada's win in the winter games - is ice hockey now considered the greatest sport ever?

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes... yes i would have to say it is the greatest sport ever

2. profile image0
      Kenrick Chatmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In Canada yes. In the US.. maybe baseball or American football...

In other places, football or soccer

3. RKHenry profile image65
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Man, what is up with asking two completely different questions?  What gives? 

Is ice hockey a real sport- hell yeah.
      Is ice hockey the greatest sport because Canada won gold- hell no.

Boxing is.  Ask the Canadian ice hockey team, if you don't believe me.

boxing stopped being a sport when Tyson bit the guys ear off.

In the middle of the last century is was the biggest thing around

1. RKHenry profile image65
          RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nano,nano, and your mom is fatter than my mom.lollollol

Them is boxing words!!!

4. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's a matter of opinion as one  could even make an argument that horse racing is the greatest sport in the world.  no doubt hockey is most likely the most popular winter sport, but as far as overall goes.  it's still up for debate.

5. profile image49
      Adleyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi,
      My answer is yes...As it includes both the skills and strategies to win,it's really a real sport

Thank you

crop pants for women

6. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It always was. smile

2. theirishobserver. profile image61

Greek one - thanks for that - you are clearly passionate about the sport smile

yes, I have written a few hubs about it smile

I tried to post questions regarding hockey in the Religious Forum, but they denied that it can be a cult

3. theirishobserver. profile image61

Greek one I will check out those hubs on ice hockey smile

4. lender3212000 profile image61
    lender3212000posted 14 years ago

I don't think I'd go as far as to say it is the greatest sport ever but it is certainly back on the map (at least for a while).

If I may quote directly from lender3212000 above....

"I....go as far as to say it is the greatest sport ever.. on the map.."

smile

5. Chaotic Chica profile image60
    Chaotic Chicaposted 14 years ago

As far as greatest sport ever, that's up to the individual, but there is no question, in my mind that it is truly a sport to follow.  I enjoy playing street hockey but I can't ice skate to save my life so I give those guys (and gals) a great deal of credit to both at once!

I can't skate either... and neither do some of the players on my favorite team... but you gotta love hockey!

6. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Football is a sport, hockey is something you watch until Football season starts again!

That is all...carry on

Being from Texas, I can understand your love of football...
      I like it too (especially when me team covers the spread)...

but if you love football as a sport.. you have to love hockey once you get to know it...

the physical aspect... the 'team-like' nature of it, etc

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We had a local minor league Hockey team, the "Austin Ice Bats", I went to a game to check it out, most boring time I have ever had!

one can't just a sport on one game...

if you went out with a really ugly woman on your first date, would you change your sexual orientation?

1. profile image0
            A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't go out with a really ugly woman, that's called choice! I made a choice, hockey sucks and Football doesn't!

Nuff said!

LOL at "really" ugly woman
              smile

2. profile image0

Not if she had a great body...

2. profile image0

A Texan you should have watched the Dallas Stars when they relocated to Dallas in 1994. They marketed the game as football on ice and the fans bought in.

During 1994-2000, the Dallas Stars were very exciting and won the Stanley Cup in 1999 and lost in the Stanley Cup Finals in 2000... I worked as an usher at the games in 1994 during high school and after 7 games I became hooked.

However, I have not followed the team as much since mid 2000 since I have been busy with other things.

SHAME ON YOU for changing your priorities!

1. profile image0

The Dallas Cowboys or America's Team is the main team in Dallas.

are you SURE?
                I heard EVERYONE in Dallas loooooooooves the Houston Texans??

1. profile image0

No way.

Here is a nice, two minute summary of the Dallas Stars Stanley Cup victory in the third overtime of game 6 during the 1999 Stanley Cup Finals....

Buffalo lost 2 Super Bowls to the Dallas Cowboys and the Stanley Cup to the Dallas Stars...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIgUd0VZJEU

7. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

Hockey is MY favorite sport.  That doesn't make it the best sport of all time... there's no way to compare!

In the spirit of compromise and consensus making, I will throw my vote out the window and agree with whatever Maddie Ruud says.

8. Chaotic Chica profile image60
    Chaotic Chicaposted 14 years ago

It is so amusing watching guys argue about sports...y'all get so opinionated! smile

9. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

If things like golf and curling are considered sports, then ice hockey is DEFINITELY on the list.

10. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

On average if you ask most, and I'm pretty sure you could google the results if you wanted to....however, sports in America, last time I checked were Football, Basketball and Baseball.

These are the front runners for sports. Hockey isn't really an accepted sport among most. It's fan base, like NASCAR racing, isn't big enough to classify as a sport in America.

Is hockey the greatest sport of all time? Absolutely not. hmm

1. Chaotic Chica profile image60
      Chaotic Chicaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL! While I can see your point-you should have been in NJ back in 1994 when the NJ Devils took home the Stanely cup!! You'd be hard pressed to NOT find a fan then! smile  As for NASCAR, you should double check those numbers!  There's a HUGE following there and they are every bit as passionate as football fans. smile

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're joking right?

Get your facts straight please. Football, even American style has fans all around the Globe. Mostly play only here, except for recent games abroad. And, those were sell outs.

NASCAR is restricted to fans here in the U.S. Usually those who like Grand Prix Racing, are not too fond of NASCAR racing. You cannot lump all racing on a global scale to make your comparison, because if they are to be a sport, the would need to be exactly the same. And, they are not.

NASCAR's following is still pretty much limited. Besides, driving a car? Isn't a sport.

First of all, it takes a lot of skill to be able to control their cars at those speeds and for the length of time that they do.  It is very taxing physically and mentally in order to compete against other teams (the pit crew is vital to the driver's success as well) which, by definition makes it a sport.  That being said, you are correct.  Grand Prix racers are on a completely different level and they do tend to look down their noses at NASCAR and it's fans. 
          As for football not being a popular sport, I was not arguing that point, only that the numbers for ice hockey and NASCAR were not as low as you suggested.  Although you did make a valid point regarding NASCAR numbers on the global scale.

2. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How very Americocentric!  Just because hockey isn't the most popular sport in the USA doesn't disqualify it as the greatest global sport (not that I'm saying it is... just pointing out the invalidity of your argument).  tongue

True-after all, look at soccer!

1. profile image0

I also like boxing. My favorite boxers of all time are Mike Tyson and Oscar De La Hoya.

Mike Tyson was a waste of talent but during 1985-1989 I have not seen a fighter as exciting and vicious as Tyson. One of my first games for Nintendo besides Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt was Mike Tyson's Punchout.

I liked De La Hoya because he did not shy away from fighting the best out there. He was pretty good during his prime as well.

3. Greek One profile image64

Professional hockey has a long history of acceptance in the US... with deep roots that match or precede both basketball and football

The Seattle Metropolitans became the first American-based team to win the Stanley Cup all the way back in 1917

11. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

The only place "American" style football is widely accepted is in the US and in Canada.... just look at the experience of the NFL in Europe.  I'm not talking about exhibition games, I'm talking about thriving leagues  and the number of people who play it.

The most "popular" sport / most played sport in the world is soccer.  The second is basketball.  Baseball is big in the America's and the far East.  Hockey is big in northern countries that actually have ice rinks... Canada, the Northern US, Russia/former Russian republics, the Scandinavian countries and Eastern Europe.

The "best sport" is whatever Maddie Ruud says it is  smile

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73

Wow.  I don't think anyone on HubPages has ever given my words that much credence.  Don't worry, I won't let it go to my head.

(it's just because you seem wise....

and because you agree with me smile

12. Ann Nonymous profile image61
    Ann Nonymousposted 14 years ago

My brother seems to think so. He would eat, sleep, drink and breathe hockey if he could. And now he has come to the point that he practices his puck and hockey stick handling skills in our parents home....(Sigh)

Although I find the game exhausting (not to mention brutal) after awhile I'd watch hockey rather than curling. Now that I'll NEVER understand!

I've never played curling.. and would call it a 'pastime' rather than a sport... but one you understand the rules (and they aren't that hard to understand), it can oddly enough become rather addicting to watch.

Kinda like marbles on ice

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73

I like curling too.  Sue me, I'm half Canadian.

1. Ann Nonymous profile image61
          Ann Nonymousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I'll give curling a second chance come the next winter olympics!!!!! LOL

the modern version of the curling uses vaccum cleaners instead of brooms...

it makes the game much more faster

1. Ann Nonymous profile image61
              Ann Nonymousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now THAT I would watch...haha!

13. hallowfever profile image60
    hallowfeverposted 14 years ago

of course it is!

14. profile image0
    Pack Secureposted 14 years ago

I consider Soccer (Futball) the greatest game.  It all depends on your tastes.

15. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

As a Canadian, I watched ice hockey and played street hockey.  I've played many different types of sports (spanning all the seasons) and I consider hockey to be a real sport.  How could a person conceive that hockey is NOT a sport?  yikes

1. profile image0

not to correct you beth, but the question wasn't if hockey was a sport or not.  they were trying ask if hockey is the BEST sport of all time or not.

1. Beth100 profile image68
        Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, actually, if you read the question as the topic, it states "is ice hockey a real sport?".  Then, in the first response, it changes to whether it is the best sport.

A slight conflict for the original question as the second question answers that it is a sport.  So, I can deduce that the real question is as posted originally, not what was listed below. 

Nonetheless, it is a sport, and the best one out there.  But, hey, I'm Canadian, eh!!! 

hmm...better ask for directions on this one!  lol

1. profile image0

ooops, i misread it then.  im sorry beth. i should've known better than to question a lovely lady such as yourself.  although i never knew you used to be an athlete too though.  wow, is there anything you can't do beth?  big_smile

You didn't misread anything. Like I said, this thread poses two questions, where the second answers the first.  Me thinks Irish had two thoughts going on there.  lol

There's plenty that I can't do.  Like fix a man.  lol  Or get a man to ask for directions.  lol  Or change my oil.  lol  Or get out of the forums to get some sleep.  lol

1. profile image0

lol.  well you can always try fixing me anytime.  wink

You're broken?!?  I'll get my tool chest, just wait .... lol

1. profile image0

lol.

you'll have to wait until I fix the butt and dress problem first.  lol

16. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

I know.  smile

1. profile image0

you know i was thinking about you all day.  smile  i missed you beth.

17. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

anyone here?

18. madeline Oscar profile image60
    madeline Oscarposted 13 years ago

I Love Ice Hockey Game. Not just a Game But a Game which requires lots of skills.

19. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

One can't argue with Madeline

20. soni2006 profile image76
    soni2006posted 13 years ago

Ice hockey is a wonderful contact sport. I have only seen on TV. In India, hockey is the national game but cricket is really popular.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)