I need a word and can't find it:

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

Ok, so I've searched every damn possible way I can think of and can't find the word I need.  Even my wife, an incredible cook, doesn't know the word even though she can do the thing I'm looking to name.  So, here's what it is:

Chefs do this thing with a frying pan when they are cooking like some veggies or whatever, where they raise the frying pan off the stove a bit and, in a real quick motion, sort of push the frying pan forward and up, tossing the contents sliding up off the far edge into the air and then moving the pan back beneath them.  It's a real fancy looking way of stirring stuff, they just sort of, flip, flip, flip real fast and then set the pan back down.

What is that movement/technique called?

Please help, it's for a novella I'm working on and I can't find that fricking word no matter where I look.  If you people don't know, I'm going to have to start calling restaurants.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Tossing smile

3. Shadesbreath profile image79

That can't possibly be it.  There has to be an actual name.  (Doesn't there?)

1. guidebaba profile image57
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You should AGREE to Mr. Mark or GO Here:
      TOSSING cool

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lol

Thanks guidebaba

Alex - Flambé

I believe we English speakers use the French word.

4. Mark Knowles profile image57

lol

I am going to give up answering questions sad

That is the "actual name."

Here is a chef "tossing" vegetables in a pan.

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/ming-ea … -video.htm

And here is a wikipedia article on "tossing" pancakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrove_Tuesday

"And tosse their Pancakes up for feare they burne." William Fennor 1634.

That is what it is called . Tossing.

5. Mark Knowles profile image57

It sounds more sophisticated in French.

"Lancer."

Just say it with a French accent lol

6. broalexdotinfo profile image56
    broalexdotinfoposted 15 years ago

I have been logged out when I tried to comment on this thread. mad

7. broalexdotinfo profile image56

What do they call that action of lighting something up in flames?

"Flambare" it`s in Romanian. smile

8. broalexdotinfo profile image56

Thanks Mark.
    Anyone likes Flambe Bananas for dessert? neutral

9. profile image0
    Ananta65posted 15 years ago

Flambé is not the same as tossing, I think. When you make a dish 'flambé' that means that you pour a liquor in the pan and hold the pan in such a way, that the alcohol can catch fire. There will be flames on the meat (or icecream, or whatever dish you are cooking), hence the term: flambé

Yeah, you may want to scroll up. The conversation has moved on.... smile

1. Princessa profile image81
        Princessaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

what if you just toss the bananas in a frying pan and them flambe the whole thing with some rhum...  tongue

I must confess to never having tried to toss burning bananas.

Let me know how it goes   wink

2. Just_Rodney profile image70
      Just_Rodneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Correct, fllame - flambe'.

10. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 15 years ago

It's called tossing veggies or whatever.

11. profile image0
    Ananta65posted 15 years ago

You're right, Mark. One of the messages had escaped my attention smile

12. Marian Swift profile image60
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

The burning bananas flambé thingy is called "Bananas Foster."

The skillet thing is called "sauté."  (Which comes from the French "to toss," but being a wimp, I just use a kitchen fork.  So I'll leave it to somebody else to combine the two.)

13. Christoph Reilly profile image69
    Christoph Reillyposted 15 years ago

Everybody step aside, please. A professional stepping through. Move aside...excuse me....pardon me....OK!

There is some truth in all you say, however, tossing can be accomplished any old way, with a spatula for example. What do chefs call the technique of tossing in the pan without any tools, is, I think, the question. (Well, I don't think it...that IS the question.)

A professional chef calls this move "toss-turning". So, you can toss the saute'ing vegetables with tongs, or you can toss them with a "toss-turn". Whether you like the answer or not doesn't matter. That is what chef's call it, period. See this reference at cheftalk.com.

http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/cooking- … r-fry.html

Thank you.

It was called "tossing" in 1634. Adjusting the word to suit American abilities to understand English words will not change that.

Y'all sure it ain't fryin' 'n' flippin' ?

lol

14. Shadesbreath profile image79

Well for starters, I can't believe it's been six hours since I asked that.  My god.  I freaking love how immersed you can get in a story sometimes. 

Ok, so really is "tossing" (Sorry to doubt you Mark, I'd already used that term and it just seemed so... well... unofficial.)

Or "toss turning" as Christoph said. 

Thanks a bunch you guys.

1. profile image56
      aishaazizuddinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

well i think its flipping may be

15. Christoph Reilly profile image69
    Christoph Reillyposted 15 years ago

Ok, so the threads over, however, Mark: Your Ming video shows how to toss vegetables just using the pan. He does not say that's what tossing means. Guidebaba: Your reference says tossing is either by using two spoons or just using the pan, totally supporting my argumant.

To say this is just an american term is unfair. Besides, we are in america and we'll call whatever we please, but culinary wise, we take our cues from the French and so this term is probably not objectionable to them. As for citing a reference from hundreds of years ago, they probably didn't even know how to toss in a pan without using utensils. There certainly is no evidence that the author meant tossing in the pan by moving the pan in a flipping motion.

Ok I'm done. Go ahead and toss your dinner, but use the tongs so you don't get food all over yourself.

1. guidebaba profile image57
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It is Globally Accepted ENGLISH TERM. Yes, calling it an American Term is unfair.

16. Mark Knowles profile image57

lol

The reference was to tossing pancakes - without utensils.

17. Shadesbreath profile image79

Hmm.. maybe it's not over.  I've found the pan cake flipping thing too.

If there's any chefs out there that know for 100% certain, please still feel free to post.  I'll be watching this thread just in case, but for now "tossing" is the term I used.

18. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

I'd bet on Mark's suggestion, as he's very experienced as a chef.

As well as being about the biggest tosser on hub Pages  big_smile

Now, I didn't want to go there, but as you have brought it up.............. smile

19. profile image56
    aishaazizuddinposted 15 years ago

well a another word for u its  "jactitating".

Shadesbreathposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Looking that up it appears to have lost its infinitive form and remains only in two forms "jactation" and "jactitation" which are very similar (having to do with boasts, albeit one false and largely a legal term and the other boasting more generally).  Both are 16th-17th century and clearly remain as the last vestiges of dying word that did, admittedly, at one point have to do with "tossing about" but largely in a sense of physical violence.

While not what I was looking for, that was an interesting side trip.  Thanks anyway, Aish.

20. spryte profile image74
    spryteposted 15 years ago

I was pretty sure the terminology you were looking for was merely the word saute...but I had to find some proof...so, from www.culinaryseductions.com I deliver this...

"Sauté

Sautéing is cooking food in a wide, shallow pan, using a small amount of oil or fat, over high heat. Often the words sautéing and pan frying are used interchangeably, but sautéing typically refers to cooking smaller foods in this manner, such as string beans or chopped onions,

The word "sauté" is one of the sexiest sounding cooking techniques, probably because it comes from the French word "sauter," meaning "to jump." This is because chefs usually shake a sauté pan back and forth to keep the food "jumping." Sometimes they'll launch the food into the air and recatch it. Think how impressive this can be in front of a girl. Just be sure to practice first with cold food until you've got the technique down. Burning yourself or your date while trying to show off with flying food is not sexy!"

I am...the word geek.

21. Shadesbreath profile image79

Hmm, thanks Spryte.  I thought about that one too, but I think that, at least in America, sauté conjures up a simple image of stuff frying in a pan.  I'm not sure people associate it with the toss itself.  Do you?

Hmm.  I need to chew on that one.  I like the accent on the word though, that would work well with an underlying French thing the story has going on.

Thank you very much for taking the time Spryte.  I may use that afterall.  You've given the word more confidence for me.

22. spryte profile image74
    spryteposted 15 years ago

That's what kinda confused me too...it's such an obvious answer to your question, but when I fry things...I don't flip them around.  It's too dangerous since to fry something requires a certain depth of oil.  Now with a good sauté...you don't have a lot of oil or butter in the pan and it's fairly to safe to toss them, flip them and make them jump to your heart's content...

I think whatever you use will deliver the proper image with whatever you have going on around it.  If it's a French mood...I'd go with sauté.  If the story is about Bubba and Mary Joe cooking up the latest roadkill...tossing would work.  smile

Funny you should say that, it's very close to being about both.  LOL

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
        Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well there's your solution.
        The term to use is obviously "Saute toss"

I'll have my character say, "I reckon I'll toss me a sauté" and call it quits.

1. Just_Rodney profile image70

You could add an old tune -"Do the Boogy Woogy and Shake it all about"
                                                 - THE HOKEY POKEY-

2. spryte profile image74
        spryteposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to choose to feel special...and not frightened at all.  Nope...not one bit.  smile

23. B.T. Evilpants profile image61
    B.T. Evilpantsposted 15 years ago

Well why didn't you say so? When I'm cooking roadkill, I prefer to sweat the vegetables. It's like sauteing, but over much lower heat. That way they get tender, and translucent, without any caramelization. It's a great technique for possum and forty cloves!

24. akeejaho profile image60
    akeejahoposted 15 years ago

I know!  I know!  Oooh!  It's called!

Making work for the person who has to clean the range top!  smile

1. Just_Rodney profile image70

In the hands of the correct chef, that is definaitly the term needed cool

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)